• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller will you use for Smash 4?

Kirbunny431

Smash Journeyman
Probably the Wii U Pro Controller. Although if a third party Gamecube controller converter comes into play, I'll definitely use that. I'll probably only use the GamePad for special features, whatever those may be.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Wii mote and nunchuk. It's how I play. It's how I win. Atleast most of the time. If people switch to a new controller in a new game its easy to learn a new style instead of learning how to use a controller in a new game. I can play melee, but playing Brawl with a gamecube controller decreases my skill so very much.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Trackball Controller. :troll:

For reals, though, probably the Pro Controller or Gamepad.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Unless the buttons underneath the Wii U Pro Controller's joysticks are incorporated into the gameplay somehow, and assuming we will still be able to customize the control schemes, I will most likely use the Classic Controller, since I used it for Brawl. Like others here, the position of the control sticks on the Wii U Pro Controller, to me, do look like they will take some getting used to.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
If my new black Classic Pro survive,I'll use it for smash4.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
I'm curious how the GamePad will work out for SSB4, they aren't focusing on anything gimmicky so there's probably not much to it. I'm going to use the Wii U pro controller anyway, most similar to GCN.

R.I.P GameCube controllers ;~;

Ove

Smash Journeyman
Gamecube controller would have been the best option. I think they will make a GC controller that you can plug in to the Wiimote.

If that won't happen, I guess I will go for the Wii U Pro controller, which looks really good, actually.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm pretty surprised that people are still disturbed about the lack of GameCube support. It likely won't be coming back, seeing as the newer Wiis don't support any GameCube accessories.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Assuming I get it, the Wii U pro controller. I still wish there would be GC controller support but I guess you just have to work with what they give you, no amount of wishing is going to change that.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Keyboard and joystick? I do not want to use the pro controller because I cannot use my index finger to manipulate the core buttons because the right analogue stick is above them, curses. I want to use a controller where I can manipulate both the right analogue stick as well as the main buttons, triggers, and bumpers all at the same time, it would be conducive to faster reactions and generally better play. Even so, in the end no matter I suppose (but it really does matter), I will learn to use my index finger on analogue sticks, leaving my thumb free to hit the main buttons, even though it might be far less precise and 'pro' for however long. I guess then I'm looking into the classic controller, but it feels so weird in my hands, that thing, not very ergonomic. . . Perhaps then a third party gamecube controller, even though I know it will probably be cheap plastic. Then returning to my original suggestion, first party keyboard and joystick hopefully.

okboy

"The Okayest"
NNID
syntheticweenie
3DS FC
1418-8005-4521
I've had the misfortune of buying a new black Wii after my old one broke, only to find that it doesn't support Gamecube games or accessories. So after being a hardcore GC controller user I've been forced to get used to the Wiimote+Nunchuck controls. And now they're my preferred method for Brawl. (I even bought a classic Wii controller pro recently and I don't like it at ALL.) So I guess in the end it's a good thing though, since I'll be ready for Smash 4 right off the bat. UuU

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That controller looks good and all, but i still can't get over the fact that i'll miss the clever shaped inputs on the GCN controller.

^this

I have a Classic Controller Pro and a PS2 adapter I've tried Brawl/Project M with and no matter how good the sticks and buttons are the old SNES 4 button layout will always be a compete *** to play Smash with. I'm 100% sure a 3rd party controller/converter will be made once everybody realizes how terribly they've overlooked the awkward (for Smash) button layout though, so no worries.

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to miss the Gamecube controller (such a clever controller design) as it would have definitely been my choice of playing SSB4 if it was available.

I'll probably go with the Pro controller. I never liked the feel of playing Brawl with the Wiimotes and I doubt that would change with SSB4 either.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If we get the 3DS version first and people get used to that, I'm guessing the Pro controller will be the way to go for most people since the button set up is basically the same.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
I'll probably try the gamepad. Looks interesting, lol.

And if that doesn't work out then i'll just use the wiichuk.

*Plugs into power button.

Wha- What! Come on stupid Pikachu move! Use skull bash! Thunder!? Uh.. what's the use!
*Throws controller out the bedroom window.
I would never do that.

Pikachu sucks.

But seriously, I do have a gut feeling that Nintendo will find a way to implement the GameCube controller into their system. Nintendo has never been one to abandon their control schemes. The Classic Controller is reminiscent of a SNES Controller, and the Wii remote on it's side emulates the NES controller. Smash Bros. is not only only one of their flagship franchises, it is also a system seller that expands the possibility of additional I.P.'s being created (Such as Kid Icarus, Punch Out, Sin & Punishment). I think that making another generation of of a controller that people will gladly purchase again is a good move, especially if the Wii U's online shop will be selling GameCube games.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
If by some miracle we do get to use GC controllers then I will use those. But so far the Wii U pad looks like a good option IMO.

jigglover

Smash Lord
I'll just stick with wiichuck for a while... Actually, I'll see what the game pad has to offer first, then probably go onto the wiichuck. :D

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
It's funny how universally loved the GameCube controller is for people who owned gamecubes and Smash players. But it's a fact that the GameCube controller was the first controller that did not get adopted into the industry standard. The rest of the gaming industry looked at it as something of lesser value especially since traditional fighting games ironically didn't work so well with it. I remember back in those days Nintendo even out right stating the industry would adopt the natural thumb layout and the kidney bean buttons. But Nintendo has shown 4 times now that they know the rest of the world won't give it a chance so they've just moved back to the SNES set up.

If Sakurai wants it there will be some GameCube like controller. But I severely doubt the possibility of our GameCube controllers getting another run in production for another generation just for one game.

:phone:

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how universally loved the GameCube controller is for people who owned gamecubes and Smash players. But it's a fact that the GameCube controller was the first controller that did not get adopted into the industry standard. The rest of the gaming industry looked at it as something of lesser value especially since traditional fighting games ironically didn't work so well with it. I remember back in those days Nintendo even out right stating the industry would adopt the natural thumb layout and the kidney bean buttons. But Nintendo has shown 4 times now that they know the rest of the world won't give it a chance so they've just moved back to the SNES set up.

If Sakurai wants it there will be some GameCube like controller. But I severely doubt the possibility of our GameCube controllers getting another run in production for another generation just for one game.
it no gaem

is wai of lifq

jigglover

Smash Lord

It's funny that you say this, I had the game-cube (and it's controller) a good 5 or 6 years before I ever played melee, and it was so much bettr than any other controller ever!

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
They could make a wireless gamecube controller and call it the Wii cUbe controller. :p

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Before Brawl came out I convinced myself I would use the classic controller. After my first 2 matches with it I gave up.

Flash forward to yesterday and I gave it another go with the future in mind. It really isn't as bad as I thought it was so long ago. After a few matches it really reminded me of the days of Smash on the N64. It will take some getting used to but I think we will all come to love the U pro controller.

Not to mention at tournaments we can plug them in. All will be well I the world... of smash.

Top Bottom