• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller will you use for Smash 4?

If the Gamepad displays the action on it's beutiful 1080p screen I'll definitely be using it. My TV sucks and the gamepad is essentially just a wider Pro Controller.

I'm starting to wonder if analog triggers are just another gimmick like motion control, that only make fighting games more difficult. The biggest advantage nintendo has in their controller's design isn't the touchscreen or motion controls, but rather dat D-PAD. Nintendo has the sole rights to it's design and even knockoff nintendo controllers from madcatz can't legally copy it. The new Gamepad controller was named after the D-Pad, because that's what people use to call it. You can't have a game these days without dat pad.
The D-pad is an amazing tool, and as a fighting game player, it's a huge reason why I purchase consoles. Nintendo's is solid, but I really have to give it to Song for their Playstation D-pad. Playing fighting games on Playstation and Dreamcast was dope, so when that went out, I went to Playstation. The pad is so smooth and allows me to cancel so fluidly, Bold Canceling with Dante in MvC3, EX power stance canceling with Jin in SFxT and Hayate Canceling with Makoto in 3S, the Playstation pad is the only one that holds up to Nintendo's, which is good in it's own way.

That's why I want a GC controller, because of its comfortable sturdy body and great stick, it allows me to play with Fox and Falco in Melee so technically in Melee, but so smooth in Brawl. It's as if they made it for smash. Even though the d-pad is leaves more to be desired, the GC stick is the revolutionary equivalent to the D-pad as far as analogs go.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I used the N64 controller for Smash 64.
The GameCube controller for Melee.
The Wiimote + Nunchuck for Brawl.
And I plan to use the Gamepad for Sm4sh.

T

Trick or Treat

I'm currently in the process of getting used to the Wii Remote + Nunchuck in Brawl. But honestly, no matter how used to it I get, I'll probably try to get a 'regular' type controller for Smash 4 and even MK8. Whether that means getting the Pro Controller, or getting one of the adapter things that allows you to use a Gamecube controller, I'll try that.
Or the Gamepad would be cool too.

gramkracka22

Smash Cadet
will most likely used the pro u controller. Unless nintendo releases some sort of gamecube u controller. That or maybe if there is a better third party controller

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Hmm, not sure. I'll probably try with the gamepad first. I don't have a pro controller yet, so I should get one of those.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
This is pretty early to even be asking this, but why not?

GameCube Controllers are not supported on the Wii U, and a chance of having first-party GameCube-styled controllers are unlikely. That being said, what will you use the next game?

Wii Remote

Wii Remote + Nunchuck

Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro

Wii U Pro Controller

The most likely option out of the 5. It's similar to the 360 controller in style and comfort and a GameCube Controller.

Wii U GamePad

Most likely to be used by casual players or to things that are better to customize with the touch screen (i.e., stage builder). However we don't know if the GamePad can actually be just as good as the Wii U Pro Controller.

Let's just go and assume that you can have these 5 options.
Im using this :)

20140223_195343.jpg

Well i hope i can...if Wii Motes are supported for Sm4sh....

MaxTheDawg

Smash Rookie
NNID
MaxTheDawg
3DS FC
2938-6945-5553
Wii u pro controller probably... Just sucks no analog triggers but its not the end of the world

Top Bottom