• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What controller will you use for Smash 4?

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This is pretty early to even be asking this, but why not?

GameCube Controllers are not supported on the Wii U, and a chance of having first-party GameCube-styled controllers are unlikely. That being said, what will you use the next game?

Wii Remote

Wii Remote + Nunchuck

Classic Controller / Classic Controller Pro

Wii U Pro Controller

The most likely option out of the 5. It's similar to the 360 controller in style and comfort and a GameCube Controller.

Wii U GamePad

Most likely to be used by casual players or to things that are better to customize with the touch screen (i.e., stage builder). However we don't know if the GamePad can actually be just as good as the Wii U Pro Controller.

Let's just go and assume that you can have these 5 options.

Evil Yoshi 85

Smash Cadet
I'll probably try the Wii U Pro controller. The 360 controller and the Gamecube controller are the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, and since it looks a lot like the 360 controller, I think I'll like it.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
The Pro controller(Black) looks pretty d*** sexy so I will be using that one as my pad of choice. I think I can play with the Gamepad too as long as its for customizing or stage creation assuming thats returning...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wii U Pro Controller! I'm a little iffy about the abxy buttons and the right joystick locations, but that's just me. And I'll get used to it.

I think this is the obvious choice.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I agree, I'll most likely use the Wii U Pro Controller as well.

If someone doesn't like the position of the Analog Sticks there's two more options to still consider: Classic Controller or Wii U GamePad.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I agree, I'll most likely use the Wii U Pro Controller as well.

If someone doesn't like the position of the Analog Sticks there's two more options to still consider: Classic Controller or Wii U GamePad.
But the Pro controller is probably the best choice and will probably be easy to get used to anyway. :awesome:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Gamecube controller.

Our whining will get to Nintendo eventually.

EVENTUALLY.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Wii U Pro & Classic Controller
I've actually been getting used to the CC.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Definitely the Wii U Controller Pro for the Wii U game as well as the Wii Remote & Nunchuk controls (my fave in Brawl)

As for the 3DS version, I doubt I'll truly need the Circle Pad Pro since I'm so use to the great controls/button layout from Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion for the 3DS (control layout A).

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'll use either the GameCube controller (because we've already made plugs for it that go into USB ports, like the WiiU Pro Controller), the WiiU Pro Controller, possibly a modded Classic Controller that goes directly into the USB ports (I don't want Wiimote connection lag!), :mad: the 3DS as a controller (for Smash WiiU), or some 3rd party hardware WiiU Pro Controller. I'll test all of those out, and see how each of them work before Smash WiiU comes out. Then I'll decide which one I am sticking with.

NickSF93

Smash Cadet
If the Wii U supports the USB input of a GC controller, ill use either that or the Pro pad. I honestly doubt the Wii U tablet will an option for me- too, uh, tablety.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
All of the new Wi U controllers can be plugged in with the USB port.

:phone:

PIKA321

Smash Apprentice
it totally sux that wii u dosent support gamecube. ill prob use a classic controller or the wii u pro controller.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Wii Remote (horizontal): Nope
Wii Remote + Nunchuk: Nope
Wii Classic Controller: Probably
Wii U Pro Controller: Probably
Wii U Game Pad: Depends

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
If a GC controller ends up being usable I'm just going with that. They layout of the Pro controller bugs me too much, haha.

Pivot

Godfather
3DS FC
4742-5223-3550
I suspect a GC-style controller will be made for Wii U, but if not I will go for the Pro Controller.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist

The Hori Gamecube-Like "Classic Controller" maybe?
*GASPS*
Those Triggers! They're beutiful!
If nintendo is willing to throw away the best gaddang triggers ever made in controller history that's their loss. I'll be taking up buisness with Hori. And for THE LOVE OF GOD put those swirly finger grips on the effing joysticks! Mah thumbs keep sliding off! Or at least make the sticks outta some high friction rubber! Geeze!

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm going to bandwagon with everyone else about the Wii U Pro controller for an excuse to comment.

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I think I'll be using the Pro Controller or the Classic Controller Pro (which I use in Brawl)
Of course, I will be testing the GamePad too.
Judging by experiences with Brawl, I hated Wiimote (you don't say?) and Wiimote+Nunchuk, so, I won't be using them.

but they REALLY should do a Pro Controller/Classic Controller based on the GCN controller for the Wii U. A lot of Wii games has Gamecube controller support, GCN games will appear at the Wii U Virtual Console, and Sakurai himself said that he thinks the GCN controller is the best way to play Smash, so I think it will happen.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope, for competition's sake, that few competitive Smash WiiU and 3DS players use the Classic Controller or anything related to the Wiimote, for their sakes. Those awfully (cheap) designed wireless connection on the Wiimotes causes a lot of controller mix up if more than say a dozen are present and used at once in a area of say 250 feet quite frequently. If somebody made a USB port connection for said controller, this wouldn't be an issue.
I must have GC controller I don't want to use those awful controllers..
The WiiU has USB ports, so fret not! Also, even if it doesn't support GCN controllers, we'll find a way around it. ;)

Still, I think we all should have an open mind before trying out the WiiU Pro Pad (or 3rd party controllers), specifically in regard to using them in Smash Bros.

keero16

Smash Rookie
I'll probably cave in and buy a Wii U Pro controller when Smash comes out. But this means I'll have to buy the 3DS version, the Wii U version and the controller..... ah well, good thing it's not coming out for a while.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I hope, for competition's sake, that few competitive Smash WiiU and 3DS players use the Classic Controller or anything related to the Wiimote, for their sakes. Those awfully (cheap) designed wireless connection on the Wiimotes causes a lot of controller mix up if more than say a dozen are present and used at once in a area of say 250 feet quite frequently. If somebody made a USB port connection for said controller, this wouldn't be an issue.

The WiiU has USB ports, so fret not! Also, even if it doesn't support GCN controllers, we'll find a way around it. ;)

Still, I think we all should have an open mind before trying out the WiiU Pro Pad (or 3rd party controllers), specifically in regard to using them in Smash Bros.
GOOD, I'm still going to try out the other controllers but the pro controller is similiar to the old Classic Controller, which I hated for SMash. I'm kind of interested in the Wii U pad but I don't know...

I'm glad we might be able to use GC controller.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Ya I would say I'll be using the Wii U Pro Controller assuming we get the option which I would say that we will. They did it with brawl so the might as well give us multiple options in this one.

Alas poor gamecube controller, I knew it well Horatio.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Before all yer fancy Wireless doo dads, we used to have to get up and use what few buttons were on the TV.
Ever try wavedashing with a knob or a dial?
Bah! Kids these days...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Just used the Wii U Pro controller for the first time today playing Ninja Gaiden...

God I love this new controller!!!!!! So freakin comfortable!!! Seriously if you like it only half as much as I do it still may be your controller of choice later on.

Carlo_H.Luz

Smash Apprentice
Obvioulsy Pro controller. Even If I could use the Wii U gamepad, I prefer the pro controller because in my house evreyone would be fighting about which one of us can use the wii u gamepad

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I'm considering modding a Classic Controller Pro from the Wii. My biggest problem with the thing is the Analog Sticks are a bit too tall for my taste. I was thinking of replacing those sticks with Gamecube Analog and C-Stick respectively.

Top Bottom