• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Controller Do You Use?

IvanDaMexican2

Smash Apprentice
I use the classic, i was used to the gamecube one, i sold my gamecube, i was sad, so i just tried the classic, i sucked, after a while i got used to it, most of the ppl i play say wow, especially using g&w, lol. im good but come on now, neways which do u use

Aziel

Smash Cadet
I stick with the Gamecube controller. However, the two which I own both crapped out not too long ago. Well, actually, one is from Gamecube release and is so ridiculously worn out it's hard to use for smash. The other one's C-stick just decided to crap out and is now permanently stuck in the upward motion even when it's perfectly centered in reality. So I'm sort of on a smash hold until I decide to buy a controller, which, with Father's Day, my brother's birthday, and my grandmother's birthday, as well as my Grandfather's birthday coming up, it's going to be a bit of time.

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
I tried to Wii remote with the nun-chuck but I'm sure almost everyone uses the Gamecube controller.

Personally for me, using the other remotes is harder because since I play as Peach I float a lot. But if I want to stay floating and attack, its hard because you have to hold the analog stick up but then if you went to attack you would fall because your moving the analog stick :/ Hope that made sense. lol

~rh

Smash Lord
I will be soon using the new White GC controller. I plan on pimpin' her out.

SanityCore

Smash Rookie
I tried using the GameCube remote. I just can't do a thing with it :ohwell:
I use the Wii remote sideways.

tj_odee

Smash Rookie
I use the Wii remote+ Nunchuck, I cant use sideways, gamecube or classic. i dunno why, but i suck with them.

RickyFLDMS

Smash Rookie
DK Bongos > All

I use my jet black GameCube controller, which the rubber on the control stick is completely gone for some reason. =\

Aziel

Smash Cadet
DK Bongos > All

I use my jet black GameCube controller, which the rubber on the control stick is completely gone for some reason. =\
Haha, that's what happened with my brother's controller. I'm getting him a new one for his birthday in a couple of days.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
For some reason I use the wiimote on its own, I know the advantages the other controllers have...but, I don't feel like switching. I guess this means I like to fight at a handicap so when I connect the nunchuke, I will be one force to be reckoned with. >.<

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I use the Gamecube Controller, at first I felt kind of bad about using it, considering that Brawl is for the Wii, and I wanted it to feel like a Wii game. However, I don't think that Wii Remote & Nunchuk is that bad, but wow, I would be so impressed if someone beat me with just the wii Remote!

So yeah, I use the Gamecube Controller, much more used to it.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The guy above this post put my first post here in better words...minus the part where I use a gamecube controller.

Zap657

Smash Journeyman
I use the classic controller, but I changed the configuration a little to give it a more familiar feel.(Y button = B attack B button = A attack, A/X = Jump) I like it because it's not that far off of the Gamecube controller, isn't necessarily attached to the wii console, and because I wanted to actually use a Wii controller for a Wii game :p

Phelix08

Smash Apprentice
I used to use gamecube controllers, but my old one was getting worn out, and i wanted to get a wireless so that I could play from back on our couch. Well, I went to a few different stores, and none of them had wavebirds (for some reason), so I just decided to buy a classic controller instead. Brought it home, hooked it up, and haven't used anything else since.

mysticwolf

Smash Journeyman
I use the gamecube controller because I am used to it. I'm kind of good with the Wii remote and Nunchuck, though. I will only play with Wii remote and Nunchuck if I do not have the option to play with the gamecube controller.

JuniorToons

Smash Apprentice
I use the Wii remote with the nunchuck, because I don't have a Game Cube controller and also I don't really know the controls for Brawl on a Game Cube controller.

GoldA

Smash Rookie
I use the wii-nunchuck simply because it's a wii game, and I like to think of brawl as entirely separate from melee, also it's much more comfortable because my hands don't have to be so close together, I can relax my arms more while I'm playing.

The only argument I've really seen for gamecube > wii-nunchuck is the c-stick, but the wii-nunchuck has it's own variation on that, and no I'm not talking about shake smash, I'm talking about the d pad. IMO it's actually better because it's much closer to the a button (where my thumb is usually located around) and more convenient than the c-stick on the gamecube controller. So can anyone explain why the gamecube controller is supposedly so much better?

Plazma

Smash Apprentice
when I played brawl I used a gc controller. Gamecube controller is the only thing anyone should use I don't care what you say.

Viktormoros

Smash Rookie
I use Wii-Remote+Nunchuck combo. My gamecube controller slightly broke (If I press left on the control stick sometimes it keeps going that way after I have stopped, and I have to push it to the right to stop walking at that point.)
The transition to the Wii-Remote+Nunchuck wasn't too hard. It's actually quite comfortable to use.

3transfat

Smash Journeyman
^ Nice avatar.

I use the GCN controller with tap jump off, X set to grab, and I'm currently experimenting with the Cstick being set to tilts.

Esoteric

Smash Apprentice
GameCube controller. I tried using the Classic controller but it seemed a little too small for my hands. I wasn't uncomfortable per se, but it just didn't feel right.

Iron Thorn

Smash Lord
Going to Gamelon. I'm taking the Triforce of Spag
When I first got it I didn't know how to put in the GC controllers, plus I had gotten into a snit having difficulty setting it up for the first time, so I used the Wii Mote and nunchuck. But those things have freaking epilepsy, I swear, they have so many seizures. So I'm using the wireless gamecube one more.

16BitAlex

Smash Rookie
The GameCube controllers are the only kind that can take my abuse. I fear that the Wiimote wouldn't be usable after my usual controller throwdown after the computer decides to hand me another unwanted loss.

Kyoko

Smash Cadet
The last two tournaments I went to every single person (save for one who went classic) used a game cube controller. My brother and I were the only ones with the wiimote/nunchuck, and we got a lot of kudos just for the sheer fact that we used it...also because we did better than those who used GC controllers, but that's besides the point :chuckle:

Vidd

Smash Cadet
I sat down to use Brawl for the first time on Friday, plugged in my Classic controller and without even playing, realised that it wasn't going to do. The placement of the analogue sticks is just nonsense.

I have two Wavebirds but the rubber on my own has worn down to the point where there are no ridges. Playing on a pad with some actually seems strange to me now!

I'm planning on getting one of the white GC controllers that I heard about. Is it true that they brought some out in Japan?

BbLu

Smash Rookie
Due to the limited space around my Wii, I find it hard to set the GameCube controllers down without pulling the Wii off the shelf. So I regretfully put those away, and brought out the Classic Controller in hopes for the same playing abilities as the GC controller. It looked generally the same, but I couldn't do as well with it. So I decided to play Twilight Princess for a bit, in hopes to get in a better attitude (don't exactly know why I was sad that day), and thought that the Nunchuk/Wiimote combo was amazing since I could have one hand resting on a pillow with the other in the air or vice versa, and I decided to try for Brawl. I liked it so I'm sticking with it. The only thing I don't like is the 1 + 2 combo to do the Side Taunt, I would change the setup, but in fears of corrupting my game style I probably won't.

Shy Guy 86

Smash Ace
I use the GC one, and my bro uses a wavebird one, the wavebird is broken and it only moves either up down left or right, so I gave my bro a classic controller, just made the A= Special attacks and the B= Normal attacks and made L= Grab because the Z was too small, sometimes I use the classic with the same setup I gave my bro but with the R as a grab. If I'd rate them it would be like this

Gamecube Controller: 10/10
Classic Controller: 8/10
WiiMote with Nunchuck: 5/10
WiiMote: Never Tried it.

Top Bottom