• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What characters could you have gone without

FigmentJedi

Smash Rookie
Marth, definately...who needs that anchient non-U.S. char. anyway?
Marth's from the original game, which is being remade for the DS and coming to the US soon. He deserves the spot.

Only character I'd want out would be Wolf. There are far more deserving characters then another Space Furry, even if it does add another playable villain to the roster...

sonic130

Smash Cadet
R.O.B. I just hate him. Although... this could be good. He will be very good to take my anger out on... yeah.

X Megadragon

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff needs out, nao. Also, Ice Climbers seem pointless to me, despite their somewhat high rank in the Melee tier list. Wolf isn't very pleasing, as there's now THREE spacies. <.<

noobpota2

Smash Apprentice
r.o.b,ice climbers,ness,toon link and maybe lucario
replace with issac,zant,krystal,king k rool and ridley or mewtwo back

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Wolf, King Dedede, Jigglypuff, Sonic, Wario

On a side note, I never would've thought of adding Zero Suit Samus (even though I've always wanted Samus w/o her suit to be playable), and Pokemon Trainer is another idea I love. Same with R.O.B.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Ike
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Sheik
Link
Toon Link
Captain Falcon
Peach
Ice Climbers

These are the characters i just plain dont like for various reasons. (Dont flame me and tell me i need to try them to like them. I know i should try them, but I've already found a character that does everything i want and I am comfortable with).

AerionTOFAST4U

Smash Apprentice
* Forges The Greatest Flame Shield Of All Time *

Jigglypuff ****in' sucks ...Imma kill his whole mother****ing family
Every jiggly mainer is going DOWN!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I would go with Wolf/Falco and, I regret saying this, Ness.

Nitoheilapine

Smash Apprentice
R.O.B
Snake
Wario

I just don't like the three. Wario annoys the hell out of me(in general). Snake is freaking human. (I don't count Ike and Marth cause they are... Well.. OMIGAWD ANIME CHARACTERS.) R.O.B is just funky. It's like Game and Watch, but it's an actual product. Game and Watch was a character in his own game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Characters I could do without? Let's see:

Dedede
Diddy Kong
Falco
Ice Climbers
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Lucario
Lucas
Marth
Meta Knight
Pikmin & Olimar
R.O.B.
Sheik
Wolf
Toon Link

Suffice it to say I'm pretty disappointed with the roster overall. I've never been interested in the Fire Emblem or Pikmin series. I enjoyed Kirby games when I was younger, but I was never particularly enthusiastic about the games' antagonists. I don't think we need Ness and Lucas. Similarly, Fox, Falco, and Wolf is a bit excessive, especially when all three share a final smash. Jigglypuff is well past its prime, and Toon Link is just all kinds of wrong.

When I first started hearing about Brawl, the main thing I was hoping for were new few female characters and new third-party additions to the game. Well, I got Sonic and Snake, but to see lame characters like R.O.B. instead of something truly exciting is very disappointing.

By the way, I'm tired of seeing this poor argument: "R.O.B. was integral to the success of Nintendo; therefore, he should be a playable character." Shigeru Miyamoto was also integral to the success of Nintendo; should he also be a playable character?
I'd say just because you dont like that multitude of characters, doesnt mean they deserved to not be in.

Mainly looking at Diddy Kong, Olimar, and the Kirby antagonists when I say that. Fire Emblem too. I have yet to play a fire emblem game, but I can see why people who have played it love it.

Donkey Kong always needed a second rep (Cmon people, it's truth, DK sold much higher than Metroid overall, so who deserved another rep?) and who better than Diddy?

Olimar represents the most successful new franchise Nintendo has put out, so why should he not be in?

And Kirby was a series who had to live with one character for a while. Meta-knight and Dedede were the second and third most important characters in the series, and would bring uniqueness to Smash, so here they are.

I'd say people, if youre still disapointed in the roster, get off the internet and throw away your Wii, because youre going to have to live with it for a while.

Personally, Im very happy with the roster and feel it's simply perfect. Krystal seemed likely at first, but then, you think about it, and realize Krystal represents the 3 games that were the downfall of the Starfox series. Wolf was introduced in Starfox 64, the series' brightest moment. Wolf > Krystal in this respect.

Geno? Why Geno? He'd be less nostalgic than ROB and a few others to the retro gamers, and even then, very few people will recognize him overall. AND he was much less likely to be a character than the other 2 3rd parties that got in.

Isaac.... I think a battle went on here.. a battle between two new series, Pikmin and Golden Sun. Given that Pikmin was much higher grossing than Golden Sun, and was created by Miyamoto, and would not bring another sword user to the mix (seriously, too many swords is not a good thing) I can see why Pikmin won out.

K. Rool - This one baffles me, and I have no explanation as of yet for why he wasnt included, oh well.

Anyway, this is m reasoning as to why the top 4 "most likely" characters near the end did not make it.

The roster is fine. Live with it people, or you'll be very unhappy for what could be 5-6 years.

And threads like this are magnets for flame-wars.. they shouldnt be here....

Hong

The Strongest
Falco and R.O.B.

Falco lacks substance and enough original quirks. The R.O.B. was just a piece of junk used to market Nintendo with toys during the video game market depression.

Demi

Smash Cadet
i think snake is the worst character ever but thats just me since i hate sony
Since when does Sony = Konami?
Konami was the one who made Metal Gear Solid and made the Character Snake, not Sony. If you didn't know a Metal Gear game was released on the Gamecube Called Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, in which you play Snake.

So, hating sony is irrelevant to why you think snake is the worst character ever? So explain to me again why he is.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
ROB and Falco/Wolf.

ROB just seems like a silly idea. I'm kind of disappointed that a peripheral from the NES would be in before anything else.

Either Falco or Wolf should be out, and Krystal should be in. I will be playing this game in seven years, and I will still be bitter about this. It's just stupid and wrong. It won't make much difference, but I hope that Sakurai can distinguish the horrible character choices in the Star Fox realm from the actual aspects that make this game good.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
I like the roster. if I had to choose I would say marth and probably R.O.B even though R.O.B is pretty cool I would take Claus or geno over him any day and marth well i dont really like him they could have brought mewtwo back instead.

Eddosan

Smash Cadet
All the characters in Brawl are appropriate due to their inclusion in SSE. However, I would have preferred either G&W or ROB as PCs, but not both. Toon Link could use some more originality, as others have said.

Machete

Smash Ace
Personally, I could go with 5 characters, my favourite ones.

However, when you post in a thread like this, you should be a bit objective. You can't say "Omg omg I don't like Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Meta Knight, Snake,mehmehmehmeh". Those characters deserved to be in.

R.O.B., for example, is a character who deserved to be in because he was extremely important for the american videogame industry. He's a bad character, though (he has no personality, he's just an important accesory). However, he deserved it.

Wario... really... WTF? Wario was the third most expected newcomer for Melee (Bowser and Peach were the first ones). He's extremely important for Nintendo, he's extremely famous. How can you say that?

Toon Link... he represents the most recurring Link. His games are pretty good and original. Yeah, he needed another moveset, but the character deserved to be in.

Wolf and Falco... how can you prefer Krystal over them? She represents the worst part of the series. They represent the best part. Maybe Krystal could (COULD) be more unique than them, but she's a crappy character. She's female. So what? Wolf is a villain. Falco is the sidekick. Krystal didn't deserve to be in more than Wolf or Falco.

Dedede... really... you don't think he deserved to be in? He's the main antagonist of the Kirby series and he was planned for both 64 and Melee!

Olimar? He's the main character of Miyamoto's newest and most original series! Pikmin deserved representation, and Olimar was one of the most deserving newcomers.

If you think Diddy Kong didn't deserve to be in, you're an idiot.

The roster isn't perfect. It has undeserving characters like Ness, Jigglypuff (these two are from the original game, so they have an excuse) or Lucario. Deserving characters, like Samurai Goroh, Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Vaati (or Midna) and Isaac are not in. However, the roster is far better than Melee's. Stop complaining. We'll get those characters in SSB4. Dedede, Diddy and Wario weren't in Melee. We'll get Ridley, Goroh and Krystal in SSB4.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

However, when you post in a thread like this, you should be a bit objective. You can't say "Omg omg I don't like Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Meta Knight, Snake,mehmehmehmeh". Those characters deserved to be in.

R.O.B., for example, is a character who deserved to be in because he was extremely important for the american videogame industry. He's a bad character, though (he has no personality, he's just an important accesory). However, he deserved it.

Wario... really... WTF? Wario was the third most expected newcomer for Melee (Bowser and Peach were the first ones). He's extremely important for Nintendo, he's extremely famous. How can you say that?

Toon Link... he represents the most recurring Link. His games are pretty good and original. Yeah, he needed another moveset, but the character deserved to be in.

Wolf and Falco... how can you prefer Krystal over them? She represents the worst part of the series. They represent the best part. Maybe Krystal could (COULD) be more unique than them, but she's a crappy character. She's female. So what? Wolf is a villain. Falco is the sidekick. Krystal didn't deserve to be in more than Wolf or Falco.

Dedede... really... you don't think he deserved to be in? He's the main antagonist of the Kirby series and he was planned for both 64 and Melee!

Olimar? He's the main character of Miyamoto's newest and most original series! Pikmin deserved representation, and Olimar was one of the most deserving newcomers.

The roster isn't perfect. It has undeserving characters like Ness, Jigglypuff (these two are from the original game, so they have an excuse) or Lucario. Deserving characters, like Samurai Goroh, Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, Bowser Jr., Vaati (or Midna) and Isaac are not in. However, the roster is far better than Melee's. Stop complaining. We'll get those characters in SSB4. Dedede, Diddy and Wario weren't in Melee. We'll get Ridley, Goroh and Krystal in SSB4.
Once again I agree with Machete, even though I disagree about Lucario not deserving the spot, but I can certainly see where that came from.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
jiggs and lucario i really don't care for the anime and i don't think it should have an affect on this game (pikachu was at least on the cover of yellow and was the first to follow you) i don't hate them just don't think they're deserving of a video game all-star game

Brav3r

Smash Journeyman
besides R.O.B., i think i could have gone without the ice climbers this time.
I know thier moveset is original, but i never could find little if any interest
in them at all. (my thoughts may change if they can do better for me in brawl,
which i'm starting to doubt)

Besides i think they had one of the worst roles in SSE

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

R.O.B. was given plenty of personality in SSE...

Watching as all his fellow R.O.B.'s are dying...you can almost see a tear from his emotionless eyes...

Also, yes...People that say Dedede shouldn't be in the game are playing the wrong game...Smash just isn't for them.

Dedede is Kirby's MAIN ANTOGONIST, and the most requested character to get into Smash...(Or in the least, the most requested that was recorded)

I don't agree on Toon Link but I knew he was going to be in anyway so I don't care

Machete

Smash Ace
R.O.B. was given plenty of personality in SSE...

Watching as all his fellow R.O.B.'s are dying...you can almost see a tear from his emotionless eyes...
Well, yeah, R.O.B. is one of the best characters in the SSE, but I was talking about the pre-Brawl R.O.B.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Pit
Lucario
Olimar
Toon Link (ugh)

And one of the space animals (fox, falco, wolf) ENOUGH ALREADY!

NeuralScan

Smash Cadet
Could've easily done without Marth, his character is so... dull. Game and Watch, too, I never found him fun to play in Melee. Lucario... hmmm maybe I'll grow to like him, but I much prefer Mewtwo (he doesn't need to be dark colors to be evil, he's badass).

Apart from those guys I'm fine with everyone else :) Great cast.

Top Bottom