• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Did You Vote For & Why?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I think since they're asking the public for who they want, it'll be based more on popularity than perceived relevance. Which is why I think for characters like King K Rool and Isaac this is going to be their best chance.

Since really the main reason characters without relevance get passed over is the risk of not being welcomed or remembered by the community at large, which is kind of a moot concern if they've already been voted for by the community.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Personally I think since they're asking the public for who they want, it'll be based more on popularity than perceived relevance. Which is why I think for characters like King K Rool and Isaac this is going to be their best chance.

Since really the main reason characters without relevance get passed over is the risk of not being welcomed or remembered by the community at large, which is kind of a moot concern if they've already been voted for by the community.
I would rather have them take the actual content of what people say as a bigger reason for getting characters in than popularity.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I would rather have them take the actual content of what people say as a bigger reason for getting characters in than popularity.
True but I'd be surprised if pure popularity wasn't a factor to some degree.

I wonder how much of what we write will actually make it to Sakurai.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
True but I'd be surprised if pure popularity wasn't a factor to some degree.

I wonder how much of what we write will actually make it to Sakurai.
I assume they will filter out requests such as Gandalf or something by the use of keyword validation. Though I hope Sakurai reads all the plausible ones including 3rd party requests too, because this poll is for the next Smash too.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
They're making DLC, it's about what's going to move the most units. If they get 40,000 votes saying: "PINK GOLD PAECH FOR SMASH lolol!!!11!!!1! #SM4SHBROZ!" and one masterpiece of our time making a passionate case for Viridi, who do you think's getting an October release?

It's going to be about releasing characters who are wanted, as well as one or two who'll get people talking just by being announced.

That by no means doesn't mean you shouldn't put effort into your ballots, but at the same time, don't expect more effort to mean much in the long run. From my experience with such, the ones that will be the most read are going to be the silly ones, the ones with massive issues with them, and the joke ones, rather than the well written ones. Those won't get listened to, but I'm sure those are the ones that'd get passed around if they were actually reading them.

Last edited:

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I voted for Chibi Robo. Seeing as Skip Ltd. are still releasing games for him, I'd say he's still kiiiiinda relevant. Plus he has a wealth of options for his moveset.

(These are mostly taken from the Gamecube title)

Up-B - Helicopter that snags people in and does damage!
Side-B - His blaster arm that can paralyze foes. Either that, or his coffee mug that can shield and be thrown for high damage.
Down-B - His toothbrush can be used to mop a point on the floor. Foes can slip on it.
Standard-B - Summons a plug outlet to charge him up.

This is where I think his moveset could get interesting! His attacks vary in power depending on how charged up your battery is. It also changes their effectiveness, so his helicopter might not be able to travel as far if you haven't charged up in a while! So you have to keep him charged! Charging however will root you to the spot for a couple of seconds, so you hafta pick a good time to do it!

On top of that, his speed and attack patterns could change depending on if he picks up his plug or not!

Costume wise, he has a wealth of stuff to choose from from the first game alone. Who wouldn't want to play as Drake Redcrest Chibi? Or Pajama Chibi? OR FROG CHIBI? Aah! So many options!

His Final Smash could summon Giga Robo, who falls onto the stage and explodes, blowing everyone away!

Chibi Robo has so many tools available, I think he is a solid choice for Smash!

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
If they get 40,000 votes saying: "PINK GOLD PAECH FOR SMASH lolol!!!11!!!1! #SM4SHBROZ!" and one masterpiece of our time making a passionate case for Viridi, who do you think's getting an October release?
Viridi.

Dat Sakurai bias. :cool:

Agecaf

Smash Rookie
I voted for Zael, of The Last Story.

I think he has interesting potential such as one of the most natural moves to have windboxes (Gale), as well as a crossbow (which has different arrows for customs, such as a banana peel arrow).

However, then best would be if you were able to command your teammates to cast spells (the spell could be chosen in a 'Monado Arts'-y way; Duck Hunt Dog also has external assistance; and Zael does have access to commanding his teammates in his game). In TLS, spells are always "Area of effect", mostly buffs/debuffs. This could bring an interesting mechanic to Smash, as only certain assist trophies (/ items? ) cause area of effect debuffs on enemies.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I'm just gonna say it's still sinking in with me that they are even doing this, and I'm very happy about it. I assume that a lot of the characters here that have a small but dedicated fanbase will not make it in, so I'm hoping that after they pick the select few characters that get in, they add several more in the form of ATs (or maybe even Mii costumes - I had no idea they would be making more of those). I'm just really glad that they seem to be taking DLC very seriously. I just hope that Nintendo HQ doesn't end up working Sakurai to death over this.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I've got no other reason than simply "I love these characters so I want them in"
K. Rool and Wonder Red.
Wonder Red especially! Sales, popularity and likelihood be damned, I still want him playable.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Wolf
Snake, Rayman, or Banjo/Kazooie
K. Rool or Dixie
Isaac
Roy

That's my hopeful and realistic prediction of characters that will become DLC.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
I voted for Seven from Xenoblade Chronicles. I'm not gonna go into details because of story spoilers, but she has so much potential as a fighter.

Staarih

Smash Master
I've voted for Isaac, Ridley, (Captain) Toad and Geno so far with different devices, still have some other apparatus that I plan on using to vote for Paper Mario and Ice Climbers at least.

D

Deleted member

C'mon guys. Is nobody else gonna vote for Spyro? :(
First of all, as much as I like his older games, I am not fond of the recent Skylanders series featuring Spyro and would be indifferent to that franchise getting representation. (Plus, the previous incarnations of the Spyro character have faded into obscurity, only to be remembered by nostalgic fans and collectors, most of whom are PlayStation gamers, so I wouldn't expect either of those two to be in Smash.) Secondly, he's a western third party character who has always been very unpopular in Japan, so Sakurai probably isn't a fan and I most likely would have wasted a vote if I had picked the purple dragon.

Short Answer: Thanks for the suggestion, but there are other characters that I would much rather play as. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong and Banjo & Kazooie (after seeing Gamnesia's latest article)

Dixie cause I grew up on the DKC games, and if the series needs another representative, it should be the one who appeared in 3/5 of the core games (and was the star of 1). I do want K. Rool in as well, but I think Dixie would be the better and easier to develop choice.

Banjo and Kazooie.... no explanation needed.

SunnyDust

Smash Journeyman
I originally wanted to vote for Dillon, but since he's an assist trophy and doesn't have much support, I decided to vote for someone else.

My first vote went to Shovel Knight, mostly because I want to see him in beautiful HD glory, but also because he has potential for a great moveset and cause he could reprensent the indie game developpers. I don't think he has much of a chance, but eh, wynaut?

I then voted once more, for Krystal this time, simply because I like her character and cause I think she would stand out from the Star Fox trio with her staff and psychic abilities.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
If you want to miss out of tons of fun because of some ideal that won't ever effect how companies operate anyway, then no one can stop you.

But please don't waste everyone's time trying to get DLC characters banned. That will never happen, and people shoudn't have to miss out on fun because of your personal ideals.
Won't ever affect how companies operate? Are you listening to yourself? DLC takes money to develop, and if nobody buys it, a company won't make more.

I'm pushing for a DLC ban because I don't want to reward this mentality. Sure, we've got 51 characters in Smash 4, but what if DLC turns out to be as immensely profitable for Nintendo as it has for most other gaming companies? We'll see content cut out and sold back as DLC.

In addition, I think you're ignoring practicality when you want DLC to be tournament legal. Most small tourneys request that players bring setups, because it's not reasonable to ask that the TO has 10-20 sets for each game they're running, especially when we're dealing with newer (and thus more expensive) hardware like the Wii U. DLC purchase will be mandatory for these sets to be usable. If there's 5 DLC characters, each at $4.00 (MewTwo's price) you've just turned a $60 game into an $80 game! Even if only one or two setups have all of the characters bought, then players who haven't bought the DLC characters are at a disadvantage, because they haven't been able to practice against these fighters.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I voted for King K. Rool, the one true king of Westeros Smash Bros. Let's just be real with each other, he's probably the single most popular newcomer. Since this is a ballot, the only real threat I see to him is Snake and maybe Wolf. I doubt third parties will be taken into consideration due to all the legal bs and I could see Wolf getting in just like how Lucas did.

Ghork

Smash Rookie
Ridley and K. Rool seem like the most popular choices.
Either is fine with me, but I don't like Ridley's design in Smash 4, however I like the design from Brawl.

It's sad that we can't see the vote count for different characters but I guess they prefer it that way so that people won't be disappointed when the #1 isn't put into the game.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
sorry about that, i'm abit dizzy, because the deadline is at 10/3/2015, i trough it was at march :p, blame me for that

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I have to say, after that tweet regarding Microsoft's willingness to cooperate and add Banjo & Kazooie, I'm inclined to put my vote towards them.

Those games are classics, and seeing them in Smash would be killer.

My only worry is that Sakurai would just make them into a Duckhunt clone.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I have to say, after that tweet regarding Microsoft's willingness to cooperate and add Banjo & Kazooie, I'm inclined to put my vote towards them.

Those games are classics, and seeing them in Smash would be killer.

My only worry is that Sakurai would just make them into a Duckhunt clone.
How would that work, Banjo isn't on all fours and they don't have someone off screen to shoot them

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
How would that work, Banjo isn't on all fours and they don't have someone off screen to shoot them
Stance has no effect on making characters similar. Banjo could easily have similar animations and general ideas for moves as Duckhunt does. The offscreen shooter is irrelevant too. That had no effect on gameplay, it's just a cute gimmick of sorts. All the gunshot hitboxes could be replaced by something else.

Not sure that you understood what I meant by clone.

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Surprised there's not more support for Ravio.

Every zelda character so far has been hugely influenced by 3D zelda titles, Ravio would be great representation for 2D zelda, and without the redundancy of another link.
Definitely agree the 2D Zeldas can use more representation - but I want that to include the original 2D games, not just the latest one. Hence my vote for Ganon, in his original pig-beast form.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Beast Ganon and Ravio would both be interesting. I just feel like this is the community's chance to give representation to a new series, or one that is overlooked despite it's popularity.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Stance has no effect on making characters similar. Banjo could easily have similar animations and general ideas for moves as Duckhunt does. The offscreen shooter is irrelevant too. That had no effect on gameplay, it's just a cute gimmick of sorts. All the gunshot hitboxes could be replaced by something else.

Not sure that you understood what I meant by clone.
Fair enough with his tilts but I don't see how the smashes would work without changing the move entirely

Last edited:

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Yeah, Banjo & Kazooie are going to be a Duck Hunt clone. Exactly how Mega Man is a Samus clone. :troll:

On a more serious note, I wanted to give additional votes for Rayman and Wonder Red using other computers and IP addresses, but now I'm going to give my votes to BK instead now that they might be actual contenders. Nintendo needs to be aware of their popularity among their fans as much as possible. Though I think licensing issues are going to be a big deal, of course Phil Spencer likes the idea but will people higher in the Microsoft hierarchy agree with it? And will Nintendo see the royalties worth the addition? Only time will tell!

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I voted for Dark Matter because he's my favorite villain in the Kirby franchise. I think his swordsman form would make a really unique character since he floats and his swords isn't connected to his body.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Ridley and K. Rool seem like the most popular choices.
Either is fine with me, but I don't like Ridley's design in Smash 4, however I like the design from Brawl.

It's sad that we can't see the vote count for different characters but I guess they prefer it that way so that people won't be disappointed when the #1 isn't put into the game.
I think king k rool should be in. And I think its understandable that ridley is a boss. Sakurai said if he was the make a character, he wouldn't be ridley anymore. Also said that he wanted to pay extra and careful attention on staying true to the characters. Ridley maybe is to big and i think the ridley hype is done. Regardless of how many votes he gets. King k Rool is perfect though!! We need a villain and King K Rool is the only classic/retro villain for nintendo. I don't know what nintendo is missing, they need to add him!

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I voted for King K. Rool, the one true king of Westeros Smash Bros. Let's just be real with each other, he's probably the single most popular newcomer. Since this is a ballot, the only real threat I see to him is Snake and maybe Wolf. I doubt third parties will be taken into consideration due to all the legal bs and I could see Wolf getting in just like how Lucas did.
I do feel that K Rool has every right of becoming a new character. While I do love wolf as well, I think king k rool should be given a shot. I've heard so much votes for wolf and that makes me happy but think of this.. what if this is the last smash game? like what if this is our one chance to get a newcomer. I think its nice to have wolf return but at the same time we have to let another old and very popular character in. We already saw wolf playable. Not only brawl but also project M. King rool has to be in. Kroc the Vote!

Sirfishe

Smash Ace

I hope King K rool is going to be DLC. While I would love krystal as well, we need a villain this time

JBRPG

Smash Journeyman

I also made one vote of Tamagon, the hero character from Devil World (famicom and NES EU), through my iphone.

Even though the game itself has christian icons used as loosely as popular culture, I believe it has great potential to make a move set that are inspired by religous lore involving angels.

Top Bottom