• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Did You Vote For & Why?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
So far I voted for:

- King K. Rool
- Shantae
- Dragon King (the ORIGINAL SSB character!)

Might do more.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Which is exactly why we need to, as a community, take a stand now. Remember when you bought a game and that was it? You got your money's worth. Heck, I remember paying $40 for a new game, just released. These days, not only do you have to pay $60 for a new game, but well over that to get the complete experience, AND you often end up with less product than you had before! Even if it's only 1 company, we need to start somewhere to eliminate this scourge on gaming. Otherwise, enjoy getting ripped off every time you purchase a game.
I am only against DLC when it is on-disc DLC where you are just buying an unlock code, DLC that breaks the balance of the game (broken uber weapons hidden behind paywalls,) games that plan the majority of their content to be DLC or having unfairly priced DLC. I prefer Nintendos take on DLC for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros because I would prefer them keeping their big titles fresh while not resorting to the yearly releases like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. I also like DLC because Nintendo is a bit stuck in the past and now we are getting updates and being listened to as a fan base since they want their DLC to sell (Plus there is also free DLC mixed in.) I'd also rather see semi finished data and assets utilized than wasting away because they didn't make the cut for the game to be rated/bug tested/and produced (Plus DLC can be worked on in the time after the game goes gold and hits the factory for production instead of the studio sitting idly by or moving onto the next project.) So far Nintendo's DLC has seemed more fair than not and it makes sense some DLC is paid DLC because the development team still has to create it. I personally will embrace the DLC until I feel they have crossed the line and simply won't support them with my money.

Back to the subject- I voted for Rhythm Girl. I really want to vote for an Advanced Wars Rep and the Style Savvy girl because these are characters who I like, a series I think deserves to be in Smash for quite a while now, and a new IP that is actually doing surprisingly well and is seeming to continue doing well with their 3rd installment. I also don't feel like voting for characters who will get a large amount of votes by themselves (They don't need my help) or characters I don't think have a chance or necessarily need to be in the game.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Ivysaur and Squirtle.

I know that with Mewtwo on the way, we have enough pokemon reps...but as an old Pokemon Trainer main, it just feels so empty without those two.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Ivysaur and Squirtle.

I know that with Mewtwo on the way, we have enough pokemon reps...but as an old Pokemon Trainer main, it just feels so empty without those two.
Wishful thinking, but I'm not too sure myself.

I've noticed they started a trend in brawl, having 6 pokemon reps (sorta as a reference to the six pokemon party of the games)
Those being Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, as well as Charizard, Ivysaur, and squirtle counting Pokemon Trainer's pokemon as seperate fighters.

Wii U and 3DS seems to have gone for the same vein, especially now thanks to the Mewtwo DLC.
Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Lucario, Greninja, Charizard, and Mewtwo

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I don't think the party-of-6 thing is an intentional reference, but I think they have low chances simply because 6 is really just a lot of representation, and Ivysaur and Squirtle weren't exactly as popular as 'Zard.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
On the subject of DLC, Skullgirls did it right: since the expansion pack re-release of the game was crowdfunded by fans, Lab Zero are releasing the new DLC characters as free downloads for the first month after their release, and paid beyond that. It's their way of thanking the fans for their commitment, but since they're an indie studio, they still need to make a profit and this is a good way of doing it without incensing the fanbase. You can also purchase new palette swaps for every character, individually per character or in an overall bundle, doubling the amount of 'swaps in the game.

Alternatively, Nippon Ichi also does DLC well: you've got the base game and the massive amount of post-game content, including new levels and characters, and you can purchase additional characters (usually the heroes of past games or newer titles, though they've also released such content as bonus mini-campaigns starring other characters, harder game modes, special pirate ships for the Item World and alternate wallpaper themes for the games' menus).

Basically, anything that's meant to be in the game is in the game, and there's a lot of content for what it is. Anything that's either brand new or couldn't fit into the base game, you can download at a reasonable price, but none of it is essential or necessary: it just embellishes the experience, and chances are you'll be buying most of it after you've already beaten the game and decide you want more stuff to play around with.

Skullgirls is even more applicable in this context: with the exception of Squigly (the first DLC character, intended to be in the base game but never made the cut), every character was voted into the game by fans. Lab Zero also decided to throw in two extra characters that weren't on the polls: Fukua, a joke character patched into the game as an April Fool's joke that became very popular and subsequently stuck around as a secret fighter, and Robo-Fortune, who will be the game's last DLC fighter. I think Smash DLC will follow a similar trend, with the most popular or potent characters selected from a shortlist and included in the game at a later date, and other top picks will be kept as high priority selections for the next game.

As for the poll itself, I have yet to vote.

PAPCGyE

Smash Apprentice
I voted King K. Rool, because he is the main villain of the DK series, one of the most importants franchises of Nintendo and because he is a classic character even after Nintendo forgot him

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
First of all, as much as I like his older games, I am not fond of the recent Skylanders series featuring Spyro and would be indifferent to that franchise getting representation. (Plus, the previous incarnations of the Spyro character have faded into obscurity, only to be remembered by nostalgic fans and collectors, most of whom are PlayStation gamers, so I wouldn't expect either of those two to be in Smash.) Secondly, he's a western third party character who has always been very unpopular in Japan, so Sakurai probably isn't a fan and I most likely would have wasted a vote if I had picked the purple dragon.

Short Answer: Thanks for the suggestion, but there are other characters that I would much rather play as. Sorry.
I would, but I want to vote for characters whom I think have at least a remote chance. I just don't see that with Spyro
Yeah, I see your guys' reasoning. Oh well, I'll keep trying!

Donkey Kong Jr

Smash Cadet
King K. Rool.

I'm a DK fan and I've been a DK supporter since pre-Brawl. He's the primary antagonist of the DK series, has a lot of interesting moveset potential to draw from his source material, and he would help add variety to the roster. Also, having more heavyweights and villains is a bonus.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
Geno for obvious reasons.

I'm contemplating voting for Banjo Kazooie too. B-K is the only character I can think of that would give me as much hype if they were added as Geno would, so...

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Ayumi Tachibana. Because everyone is going to flood with K K Rool, Isaac, Wolf and Ice Climbers (I want all 4 in the game) I just suggest an unpopular character for the purposes of entertainment. And I would love to see a girl in sailor suit smacking Mario with a briefcase.
11081163_667680396688116_73709441450745632_n.jpg

4theLOLs.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Another day, another vote dropped. This time it's for Daisy as Smash's dedicated athlete character thanks to some fan proposals I saw elsewhere.

All she needs is a Chaos Dunk command grab special and I'd have a new favorite brawler type character. lol
Wanna join the support list in our topic? There's plenty of room for more Daisy fans. :)

@ L9999 L9999 It was such a shame that she couldn't be playable in Melee because her game wasn't international. She would have been the perfect playmate for Wii Fit Trainer.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Wanna join the support list in our topic? There's plenty of room for more Daisy fans. :)

@ L9999 L9999 It was such a shame that she couldn't be playable in Melee because her game wasn't international. She would have been the perfect playmate for Wii Fit Trainer.
Totally. Just drop my name in the thread if necessary.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Sorry, but I kind of broke Nintendo honor code of one vote per person. There are way to many good Smash candidates out there! So far, my votes include:

Captain N
King K. Rool
Geno
Ridley
Travis Touchdown
Rayman
Banjo & Kazooie (Now that they actually might be viable!)
Fawful
An Inkling (the Splatoon squid girls)
and Professor Layton.

I feel like I did more, but I can't remember off hand who they were.

Last edited:

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

THat's why I suggested her. After all, that rule is nonsense with Roy, Marth and Lucas.

Tomlanji

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tomlanji
3DS FC
4098-2281-7871
Sora. I doubt it will happen because they need the rights from Disney and Square, but my vote will remain for Sora.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
That will do since we are at a total of 52 supporters for now. Are you sure that you don't have anything to dicuss or look at in the thread?
I'll come by in a bit, right now I'm looking for some old Takamaru stuff to make the Takamaru version of that Daisy image.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I absolutely 100% agree with King K. Rool, but we also need Shovel Knight, Geno, and many others. But I feel prioritizing Geno and either King K. Rool/Cranky Kong/Dixie Kong is important.
So much this! Geno and K. Rool FTW!

Not sure if it's been brought up in this thread or not but...

I just saw word on another thread that you all might want to see: http://mynintendonews.com/2015/04/0...e-character-is-eligible-for-super-smash-bros/

That settles it. ANY gaming character has a chance.
Thanks for this. If they really are considering all feedback, my plea for Banjo & Kazooie, Geno, Prof. Layton and Travis Touchdown doesn't seem so dumb now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dkis007

Smash Rookie
So far I voted for:
1. Bayonetta
2. Shantae
3. Splatoon Inkling

I'll also throw in my support for Wonder Red, Krystal, Layton, and King K. Rool

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
Voted for Banjo-Kazooie duo.

I'm not sure whether or not it's even a possibility considering they're not Nintendo anymore.. oh well I saw a facebook post earlier about how these people are going to vote for Banjo-Kazooie and it gained some insane steam.. at least 25,000 likes were on it.

People seem to really want the character. It would be very unique, I remember in Banjo-Tooie, there were so many different moves you could do.

Edit: Important question; Is this ballot supposed to be for the current Smashbros game as DLC(Wii U/3DS), or are they planning to save this for the next smash bros?
Hoo boy, this one is an interesting one. Xbox head Phil Spenser just said that he would like to see Banjo & Kazooie in the game. He said that Nintendo X Rare working together again would be a non issue. This is huge in that it makes Banjo & Kazooie extremely viable now. And yes, this is a vote for sm4sh DLC, but I do hope that these suggestions will be considered for 5mash.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I really don't want King K. I don't understand why he is so wanted ;(. I played the old Donkey Kong Country games and never thought to myself "that giant lizard guy is definitely a character I want to play as!" But hey to each their own. I guess I'm confused as to if people are just trolling like when they ask for Goku or Ridley. Is everyone voting for him because it's the cool thing to do? I didn't know he had such a big fan base. I'm sure he is getting in but I wish it was someone more creative and pretty to look at.
We need more females! And not masculine females or alternates like Robin.
To be fair, none of the characters are trolling - even Goku has a lot of people who legitimately want him, though he is the butt of a lot of jokes because of it. The only character who is genuinely a troll pick you regularly see is Shrek.

As for King K. Rool, the popularity is real. He is an iconic boss from a fan favourite franchise, and a demented crocodile pirate king is awesome. In terms of creativity, this is my main dispute - he has 4 completely different boss battles, giving him a large variety of source material to work with - from boxing and body slams to cannonballs, boomerangs and jet packs, the potential is there for a fantastic moveset. People seem to automatically assume a Bowser clone but I think most of the people voting for him would be disappointed if that were the case as the two aren't really that similar.

As an afterthought, what sounds more trollish - the reasons I've just detailed, or voting for a non-masculine female character because they look pretty?

#KrocTheVote

Last edited:

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
I am only against DLC when it is on-disc DLC where you are just buying an unlock code, DLC that breaks the balance of the game (broken uber weapons hidden behind paywalls,) games that plan the majority of their content to be DLC or having unfairly priced DLC. I prefer Nintendos take on DLC for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros because I would prefer them keeping their big titles fresh while not resorting to the yearly releases like Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed. I also like DLC because Nintendo is a bit stuck in the past and now we are getting updates and being listened to as a fan base since they want their DLC to sell (Plus there is also free DLC mixed in.) I'd also rather see semi finished data and assets utilized than wasting away because they didn't make the cut for the game to be rated/bug tested/and produced (Plus DLC can be worked on in the time after the game goes gold and hits the factory for production instead of the studio sitting idly by or moving onto the next project.) So far Nintendo's DLC has seemed more fair than not and it makes sense some DLC is paid DLC because the development team still has to create it. I personally will embrace the DLC until I feel they have crossed the line and simply won't support them with my money.
The unfortunate thing is that the Western Game companies were like this too at first. And now...just look at the nonsense EA has pulled and you'll see why it's looked down upon these days. But they won't stop because it keeps on selling.
On the subject of DLC, Skullgirls did it right: since the expansion pack re-release of the game was crowdfunded by fans, Lab Zero are releasing the new DLC characters as free downloads for the first month after their release, and paid beyond that. It's their way of thanking the fans for their commitment, but since they're an indie studio, they still need to make a profit and this is a good way of doing it without incensing the fanbase. You can also purchase new palette swaps for every character, individually per character or in an overall bundle, doubling the amount of 'swaps in the game.

Alternatively, Nippon Ichi also does DLC well: you've got the base game and the massive amount of post-game content, including new levels and characters, and you can purchase additional characters (usually the heroes of past games or newer titles, though they've also released such content as bonus mini-campaigns starring other characters, harder game modes, special pirate ships for the Item World and alternate wallpaper themes for the games' menus).

Basically, anything that's meant to be in the game is in the game, and there's a lot of content for what it is. Anything that's either brand new or couldn't fit into the base game, you can download at a reasonable price, but none of it is essential or necessary: it just embellishes the experience, and chances are you'll be buying most of it after you've already beaten the game and decide you want more stuff to play around with.

Skullgirls is even more applicable in this context: with the exception of Squigly (the first DLC character, intended to be in the base game but never made the cut), every character was voted into the game by fans. Lab Zero also decided to throw in two extra characters that weren't on the polls: Fukua, a joke character patched into the game as an April Fool's joke that became very popular and subsequently stuck around as a secret fighter, and Robo-Fortune, who will be the game's last DLC fighter. I think Smash DLC will follow a similar trend, with the most popular or potent characters selected from a shortlist and included in the game at a later date, and other top picks will be kept as high priority selections for the next game.
I think that's an awesome way to do it. If Nintendo goes this route DLC will be an awesome treat worth the money.

The question is how long it lasts until the suits show up and change the corporate culture. With Nintendo going mobile and clearly worried about profit margins, I'm not sure how long we have. If they can keep the art house style that's kept them putting out complete games of high quality, we have nothing to worry about. If they are looking at Capcom and thinking they need to start copying western (read: EA) development practices, things could go very downhill. Compare Disney before and after Walt's death.

It's the fight within Nintendo over its soul that's concerning. Not so much the DLC.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Ridley
Savvy Stylist
King K Rool

JayWon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JAYW1N
3DS FC
3754-8914-3121
I voted for Kerrigan and Zeratul from Blizzard Starcraft 2. I think collaborating with Blizzard is an excellent bridge to the PC Market.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I voted for Kerrigan and Zeratul from Blizzard Starcraft 2. I think collaborating with Blizzard is an excellent bridge to the PC Market.
I would vote for someone on the Valve market. My only problem is who. I play TF2 a lot, but I can't imagine ANY of those characters making it into the Smash roster, although quite a few of them would fit well. (In a perfect world, my TF2 main, the Scout, would be in Smash...)

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
My votes when for Isaac and the Bandana Dee.

K. Rool at least is the newcomer with MOST love.

And this fighter ballot is practically what skullgirls do last year in Indiegogo (Somebody alredy explained how it was, was awesome and frustaring by some characters that practically were to loli for me) and sometime is the best way to pleased the fans.

Especially in a BIG World like Smash world.

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I voted for Tetra because I think she deserves recognition as a fighter. She could also have a cool moveset. Her down b could be a spoils bag filled with chu jelly that has different effects depending on the color. Her side b could also be the skull hammer to bash enemies on the head. Her up B could also be a catapult. If G&W can recover with two firemen bouncing him off a trampoline, then nearly any recovery is possible.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
I'm holding my vote until I figure out exactly which character I really want, and has the best chance of getting in.

Tentatively, I'm stuck on the idea of Andy from Advance Wars, though I'd love to see Shantae if it could be worked out with WayForward.

Last edited:

Braydon

Smash Ace
I voted for monster hunter because monster hunter is awesome and deserves a rep.

3DS FC
0061-0163-0572
I'm holding my vote until I figure out exactly which character I really want, and has the best chance of getting in.

Tentatively, I'm stuck on the idea of Andy from Advance Wars, though I'd love to see Shantae if it could be worked out with WayForward.
It's still too early to say, but leading near the top of the poles in terms of best votes would be K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. A tweet from Phil Spencer of Microsoft just made Banjo & Kazooie much more viable for Smash, so he has my vote.

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
It's still too early to say, but leading near the top of the poles in terms of best votes would be K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. A tweet from Phil Spencer of Microsoft just made Banjo & Kazooie much more viable for Smash, so he has my vote.
Heheh. I meant which character has the best chance out of MY favourites, I don't presume to read the future.

Oddly enough, I love the DKC games, but I'm just not feeling K. Rool as a character. I'd probably prefer Dixie as a DKC rep.

Also, I know they're iconic and all (and needing of love) but with Duck Hunt on the roster I kinda feel like maybe Banjo and Kazooie might possibly be just a teensy weensie tiny little itty bit.........redundant?

(Please don't kill me.)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Heheh. I meant which character has the best chance out of MY favourites, I don't presume to read the future.

Oddly enough, I love the DKC games, but I'm just not feeling K. Rool as a character. I'd probably prefer Dixie as a DKC rep.

Also, I know they're iconic and all (and needing of love) but with Duck Hunt on the roster I kinda feel like maybe Banjo and Kazooie might possibly be just a teensy weensie tiny little itty bit.........redundant?

(Please don't kill me.)
Samus is already here, we have no need for Mega Man!

An important aspect of Duck Hunt is the off-screen gunner. There's no reason for B&K to play literally anything like Duck Hunt; it's just easy to go "oh, some animal and a bird, that's a quota filled." Huh? C'mon now.

Top Bottom