• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Did You Vote For & Why?

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to be mean, but some of yalls (not naming names) are voting for some stupid :rolleyes: characters.

I for one, voted Bandana Dee. He's really becoming a main character in Kirby and could be completely unique using a spear. Plus, if freaking FIRE EMBLEM gets 4 reps, Kirby more than deserves 4. Chef Kawasaki too. Pls Sakurai...
Yeah, he's a main event guy. I know the stupid characters you're talking about. Like, Lip? Her only means of attacking are an item, aren't they? Voting for assist trophies? lol. Voting for Shovel Knight? "Oh yeah bro here's this cool game I made it's a 2D platformer that resembles an NES game. It's a tribute to the NES, in fact. I really miss when games were hard." Shovel Knight is indie darling #892391197. With that being said, I do prefer Snake.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Yeah, he's a main event guy. I know the stupid characters you're talking about. Like, Lip? Her only means of attacking are an item, aren't they? Voting for assist trophies? lol. Voting for Shovel Knight? "Oh yeah bro here's this cool game I made it's a 2D platformer that resembles an NES game. It's a tribute to the NES, in fact. I really miss when games were hard." Shovel Knight is indie darling #892391197. With that being said, I do prefer Snake.
Thank goodness someone said it. Now I won't be the bad guy.

ZRK

Smash Rookie
I voted Simon Belmont. Love the character which has a long history with Nintendo, is representative of the NES era and from a series I love.

I also think his gameplay potential is high, being a unique character with good strength, a long range weapon and several projectiles (the subweapons).

I wouldn't mind Banjo-Kazooie either.

Last edited:

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Point and laugh if you want, but I voted for Spyro. I tried to think of someone I wanted to see more, but in all honesty there isn't a single character I hold closer to my heart than Spyro. I'm well aware that it will almost certainly not happen during Smash 4's lifespan, but goddamnit I'll stand by that little purple guy until he gets the recognition he deserves.

Also, I designed a moveset for him to show that he'd work as a unique fighter.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
No love for Gandrayda? I figured the guy who started the "doppelgänger" type character thread would agree with me.

She's a metroid rep that makes more sense than Ridley in terms of becoming a character, because Ridley is a map hazard and is way too big to become a playable character, a villain, a female, and she has the potential for a very unique and interesting move set.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My top picks
-Midna (upgrade her from assist trophy to playable character and I'll die happy)
-Dark Samus (if we can't have Ridley then give us the next logical choice for the Metroid series, no she won't be a clone not even close)
-Krystal (not a fan of Star Fox but she'll be a very cool addition to the roster)
-Crash Bandicoot (my wishful thinking pick, unlikely but will be awesome if it happens)
-Wolf (we already know how he'll be, should've brought wolf back instead of Lucas IMO though there is a possibility that he'll return regardless since dlc is a thing)

Other cool possibilities
-Impa
-Tails
-King K Rool
-Banjo Kazooi (edit)

PLEASE NO!!!!
-shrek (srsly?)
-Daisy (i dislike peach as it is plus she has a daisy costume so no need, it'll be another Pitt/Dark Pitt situation)
-Paper Mario (we already have TWO MARIOS why do we need another? Also we don't really need any more representation in the Mario series)
-Toon anything (as much as I like Link it is unecessary to have more than one, let alone zelda, ganon, etc...only one character per character and no I don't think Tetra will be a good fit in smash because she doesn't really have anything going for her in terms of a decent moveset)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
My vote went to Roy. Simply because:
  • Roy is amazing
  • A fan favourite
  • Would get some of the old Roy fans to play SSB4 more
  • Can be made for 3DS (ie no issues like Ice CLimbers have)
  • Comics are being made about Roy not being in SSB4 - https://s3.amazonaws.com/AZComics/comic400.png - Just one of many such comics by so many different people
  • He plays very differently to Marth. If you played Roy like Marth you'd get your *** handed to you.
  • He is the sole reason some people are now a fan of or at least semi interested in Fire Emblem. I am one of these people. I only looked into Fire Emblem because of how amazing Roy was in Melee. If it was Marth only I'd not have cared enough to look into Fire Emblem.
  • Made for Project M. Just another point showing off the fact people love Roy.
  • No need for a 3rd party approval as Nintendo owns Fire Emblem.
  • Easier character to make as a base move set is already there from Melee. Nintendo just have to update it to SSB4. Sure that still takes ages but less time then a newcomer from scratch.
  • Ike and co are nothing like Roy. And he would only add to the game, not be a pointless clone like Dark Pit is.
  • Having lots of Fire Emblem Characters in the game is ok, Mario has lots as do Pokemon and a few others.
  • Roy is sad being left out of the party and in the rain :( , Please let him in Nintendo -
  • And even more reasons I am yet to think of.
He just needs his moves revamped along with the badass attire he had in Awakening and he would be a G.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
-Dark Samus (if we can't have Ridley then give us the next logical choice for the Metroid series, no she won't be a clone not even close)
I don't think they would use Dark Samus as playable character. Like Midna, she's already an assist trophy, and I highly doubt they will remove a new assist trophy to make it a character. I think other metroid villains, that aren't already in the game in some form, would be the next logical step.

Last edited:
I don't think they would use Dark Samus as playable character. Like Midna, she's already an assist trophy, and I highly doubt they will remove a new assist trophy to make it a character. I think other metroid villains, that aren't already in the game in some form, would be the next logical step.
It's vote who you want. This affects smash 5 as well and showing support for a character will help for that game. A game where those characters arent already deconfirmed.

and we arent getting sylux or rundas. They are far too insignificant and not nearly popular enough.

Seriously people vote for whoever you want regardless of how likely they are. It's a popularity ballot.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
None that have as much relevance as DS though sure there's the other bounty hunters from Prime 3 and Hunters but they don't really stand on their own like DS who is basically the most powerful character (besides Samus herself) within the series...also I'm not saying the possibility of upgrading a character from an assist trophy isn't there...if there's the demand for it anything is possible especially considering it is easier to add a character that is already modelled within the game...

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
It's vote who you want. This affects smash 5 as well and showing support for a character will help for that game. A game where those characters arent already deconfirmed.

and we arent getting sylux or rundas. They are far too insignificant and not nearly popular enough.

Seriously people vote for whoever you want regardless of how likely they are. It's a popularity ballot.
Where does it say this affects smash 5 too? It says right on the ballot, and I quote, "Do you want your favourite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS/Wii U?"

Also, my vote was for Gandrayda, not sylux or rundas, not that it really matters. None of those characters are any less significant than wii fit trainer.

I'm not saying people shouldn't vote for who they want, only that the ballot says its specifically for smash 4 and that characters who are already map hazards and assist trophies are even less likely than the more obscure characters.

Where does it say this affects smash 5 too? It says right on the ballot, and I quote, "Do you want your favourite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3DS/Wii U?"

Also, my vote was for Gandrayda, not sylux or rundas, not that it really matters. None of those characters are any less significant than wii fit trainer.

I'm not saying people shouldn't vote for who they want, only that the ballot says its specifically for smash 4 and that characters who are already map hazards and assist trophies are even less likely than the more obscure characters.
Japanese ballot "your vote will affect future titles"
it's also common sense that they will look at old popularity results. So yes this will affect smash 5 unless the japanese are liars

and Gandrayda is less likely than an AT being upgraded so w/e

wii fit has sold more titles than Prime 3 anyway.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Well now I just don't even care, this is the first I've heard of anything even hinting at confirming a smash 5.

Care to give reasons on that Gandrayda opinion? She has more potential than the other metroid villains, other than Ridley and Dark Samus, just on her abilities in-game alone.

Wii fit is also more exercise regimen than game.

Edit: also, if they added Ridley or Dark Samus in smash 5, I could die happy. Her and captain falcon are core characters for smash, yet falcon has no other reps and Samus just gets herself with less armour.

Last edited:
Well now I just don't even care, this is the first I've heard of anything even hinting at confirming a smash 5.

Care to give reasons on that Gandrayda opinion? She has more potential than the other metroid villains, other than Ridley and Dark Samus, just on her abilities in-game alone.

Wii fit is also more excessive regimen than game.
Gandryada is an extremely minor character. Like absurdley.
also a one-off character

popularity is also lower than rundas and sylux

She honestly has no shot unless she magically appears in a new metroid game (sylux is more likely)

at least Rildey and Dark samus have importance to the franchise and popularity. It's more likely that sakurai will do a 180 with Ridley or buff Dark samus than going to the bottom of the bottom of the barrel

wii fit is a video game series that is very popular. no idea what you mean

but w/e vote for who you want. that's the point

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
What I mean about wii fit is that it's more of an exercise planner than it is a game. Sure, it does a good job at making exercise more appealing, and has done well in sales, but it lacks certain elements that I feel would make it an actual video game. For example, there is no plot, the goal in wii fit is to work on your own personal fitness.

What I mean about wii fit is that it's more of an exercise planner than it is a game. Sure, it does a good job at making exercise more appealing, and has done well in sales, but it lacks certain elements that I feel would make it an actual video game. For example, there is no plot, the goal in wii fit is to work on your own personal fitness.
your argument was significance.

wii fit is significant to the Wii Fit franchise which has sold well enough to be deemed significant.

Wii Fit T was a awtf rep anyway.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Exactly, significance as a game itself. Selling well doesn't make it any more of a game. I have a copy of wii fit because my brother is too heavy for the balance board, and it doesn't feel like a game at all.

I'm not saying wft is insignificant to her series, just that to the gaming world as a whole, wii fit, as a series, isn't really a game, it's an exercise planner.

Exactly, significance as a game itself. Selling well doesn't make it any more of a game. I have a copy of wii fit because my brother is too heavy for the balance board, and it doesn't feel like a game at all.

I'm not saying wft is insignificant to her series, just that to the gaming world as a whole, wii fit, as a series, isn't really a game, it's an exercise planner.
but thats your opinion

Wii Fit is factually a nintendo video game
that is objectively true lol

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Video games don't necessarily need to have a story driven plot to be considered video games...ie Tetris, Pong, etc...it may not be your conventional game but it still has its own set of goals and achievements that still qualify it as a game technically, much the same way DDR is a game...that being said Wii Fit is a popular 'game' for the wii and Sakurai felt the Wii Fit trainer had enough significance considering its success to be made a character...it is also Sakurais way of appealing to the casual gamers who play smash...
Don't get me wrong I feel like there are much more deserving characters than WFT, but I do see why she is here...

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Video games don't necessarily need to have a story driven plot to be considered video games...ie Tetris, Pong, etc...it may not be your conventional game but it still has its own set of goals and achievements that still qualify it as a game technically, much the same way DDR is a game...that being said Wii Fit is a popular 'game' for the wii and Sakurai felt the Wii Fit trainer had enough significance considering its success to be made a character...it is also Sakurais way of appealing to the casual gamers who play smash...
Don't get me wrong I feel like there are much more deserving characters than WFT, but I do see why she is here...
I see your point, but the majority of characters in smash are from games with a plot.

I'm not saying she shouldn't be in the game either, she's a great "what the ?" Character like game&watch and R.O.B., just that, like you said, there are characters more deserving of a slot on the roster who aren't even so much as an assist trophy.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I voted for Ray from Custom Robo. Ray MK III was an Assist Trophy in Brawl and the Custom Robo series has had a decent involvement with the Smash Bros. series due to the decent amount of trophies in Melee and Brawl (3 each game) and the stickers in Brawl. That and I ADORE the series.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord

Well the very first video game, Pong, was a simulator for missiles. Also the whole 'there are more deserving character for roster 'slots'' argument is pretty moot when you realize R.O.B, G&W, DH, and WFT all are very important to Nintendo's history and where they are now/past successes wouldn't have been possible without them.

At the end of the day this is about the Poll so it is more about who the fan base wants so we probably won't see a crazy 'out there' character anyways. Just vote for who you like and who you think is 'deserving.' I wish they gave more insight in a set of rules so people don't waste their vote on games that aren't out or available worldwide etc. if they won't even be considered though.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Thank goodness someone said it. Now I won't be the bad guy.
Haha, about Shovel Knight? I wouldn't mind him, but realistically speaking, he has no chance. He hasn't really contributed anything to video games like Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man did.

synesthe-sia

Smash Journeyman
Point and laugh if you want, but I voted for Spyro. I tried to think of someone I wanted to see more, but in all honesty there isn't a single character I hold closer to my heart than Spyro. I'm well aware that it will almost certainly not happen during Smash 4's lifespan, but goddamnit I'll stand by that little purple guy until he gets the recognition he deserves.

Also, I designed a moveset for him to show that he'd work as a unique fighter.
He's the purple dragon that really deserves it. He's not *too* closely associated with Nintendo, but neither was Snake. He'd easily fit the mold. He never had a great game on a Nintendo console, but neither did Snake. :~) It's all gonna be ok. If not in Smash 4, then some fan game. Spyro > Crash.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
He's the purple dragon that really deserves it. He's not *too* closely associated with Nintendo, but neither was Snake. He'd easily fit the mold. He never had a great game on a Nintendo console, but neither did Snake. :~) It's all gonna be ok. If not in Smash 4, then some fan game. Spyro ≈ Crash.
FTFY. While I don't have nearly as much fondness for the bandicoot as I do the dragon, I will admit that both characters have had an almost equal impact on videogames. Their history is so closely intertwined that they're practically brothers. If it weren't for Skylanders, I'd say that neither character deserves to get in any more than the other. And how hype would it be if they BOTH made it in?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I voted for Wolf because I enjoyed having around in Brawl and I loved his playstyle. I would be satisfied if he makes a comeback.
I would also vote for Snake since I enjoyed playing as him and his unique playstyle but it's too bad we are only allowed to vote for only one character.

And I ain't stupid enough to vote for anyone who's already in the game as an Assist Trophy character (i.e. Shadow and Waluigi) and/or a stage boss (i.e. Ridley).

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Inkling girl because I am realist; Nintendo won't add third-party characters before their own (Geno, Banjo, Snake), it's a game that could really use some boost from a marketing point with Smash, completely original character, new franchise, could alt with the boy and girl like Wii Fit Trainers... Yeah, she (he) will be the next fighter.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
I voted Wolf.

With the Lucas reveal I've gotten everything I wanted and more, so I feel those people who liked him in Brawl should also get their old main back.
I'm not actually interested in playing as him.

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I voted Wolf.

With the Lucas reveal I've gotten everything I wanted and more, so I feel those people who liked him in Brawl should also get their old main back.
I'm not actually interested in playing as him.
Good Guy Putuk :D

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I see I'm alone here on the Loose Groose Caboose... such a shame.
If I had to vote again, I'd definitely vote Dixie Kong up. Some say she'd just be a clone of Diddy, but really, I see her being a semi-clone at most (no popgun or Rocketbarrel Pack for specials and final smash, hair twirl could make for some interesting attacks and throws, etc.) Not to mention she was part of the Forbidden Seven in Brawl, much like Mewtwo and Dr. Mario were, and we all know where they are now.
I say we shouldn't bother voting any of the cut veterans up since they're likely to be brought back as DLC anyway, a la Mewtwo and Lucas. Way I see it, it's worth more to vote up newcomers who otherwise wouldn't have a chance than to vote up the already highly requested veterans.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
And I ain't stupid enough to vote for anyone who's already in the game as an Assist Trophy character (i.e. Shadow and Waluigi) and/or a stage boss (i.e. Ridley).
It's hardly stupid to vote for him; even if he's not likely, it'll at least show Sakurai that people want him as a fighter. You can vote for Wolf all you want; I ain't going to complain. But ragging on people who just want to have Ridley get the treatment he deserves as an all-star character makes you look quite rude.

Besides, it's likely Wolf is going to eventually be DLC anyways; so voting for someone like Ridley (who still has a shot at being DLC, however unlikely it is) or K.Rool makes more sense in the long run because then it isn't wasted on someone who is probably going to return.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Out of all the indie characters Shovel Knight seems to have the most support. I really doubt Sakurai is going to allow it though. He's an old dog that has been making games for his entire adult life. I really doubt he cares about the indie game scene as much as many of us do anappreciates the impact they are having on the industry.

I still voted for Shovel Knight, excessively in fact, and Fawful. At this point i think the both have the same snowballs chance in hell of making it in.

I can still dream though...

Troykv

Smash Master
Out of all the indie characters Shovel Knight seems to have the most support. I really doubt Sakurai is going to allow it though. He's an old dog that has been making games for his entire adult life. I really doubt he cares about the indie game scene as much as many of us do anappreciates the impact they are having on the industry.

I still voted for Shovel Knight, excessively in fact, and Fawful. At this point i think the both have the same snowballs chance in hell of making it in.

I can still dream though...
Shovel Knight hasn't Japan release... so... 0% chance

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
I'm throwing my votes at Sceptile. Pokémon is my favorite franchise so I would be thrilled to get more of them in there. Plus it'd be so awesome to have three fully evolved starters as fighters each representing different types and generations.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Shovel Knight hasn't Japan release... so... 0% chance
Wow, OK. I didn't realize they didn't have a Japanese release yet. Definitely zero percent chance then.

Kindof sucks when you think that Marth didn't have a NA release when he was added to melee though =/

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
I voted for other characters as well, this was more of a joke vote, but I'd still like to see it in Smash.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Wow, OK. I didn't realize they didn't have a Japanese release yet. Definitely zero percent chance then.

Kindof sucks when you think that Marth didn't have a NA release when he was added to melee though =/
But FE was a successful and popular game series (that Nintendo owned) spanning several consoles with multiple titles and had a vocal fanbase in Japan asking for their inclusion. At the very least an anime ova for FE was localized in the 90s in NA- it isn,t much, but it was something. I really don't think you can compare any 3rd party characters chances to circumstances of a character that Nintendo owns simply because the criteria are different. Not to mention very few characters on the roster come from a series with a single game to its name. Even R.O.B. had two titles that he was compatible with, Duck Hunt also represents the NES zapper and it's multiple titles, I guess the icies are the closest thing to it but even then they had the arcade version and several re-releases/ports/references.

Top Bottom