• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Character Did You Vote For & Why?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Won't ever affect how companies operate? Are you listening to yourself? DLC takes money to develop, and if nobody buys it, a company won't make more.

I'm pushing for a DLC ban because I don't want to reward this mentality. Sure, we've got 51 characters in Smash 4, but what if DLC turns out to be as immensely profitable for Nintendo as it has for most other gaming companies? We'll see content cut out and sold back as DLC.

In addition, I think you're ignoring practicality when you want DLC to be tournament legal. Most small tourneys request that players bring setups, because it's not reasonable to ask that the TO has 10-20 sets for each game they're running, especially when we're dealing with newer (and thus more expensive) hardware like the Wii U. DLC purchase will be mandatory for these sets to be usable. If there's 5 DLC characters, each at $4.00 (MewTwo's price) you've just turned a $60 game into an $80 game! Even if only one or two setups have all of the characters bought, then players who haven't bought the DLC characters are at a disadvantage, because they haven't been able to practice against these fighters.
Thing is though you're just one person. DLC won't stop because of one person. Even if there are more anti-DLC campaigners, they make too much money off DLC to stop because of a minority.

As for tourney set-ups, hardcore players are happy to pay for DLC, so those setups will have all the characters. Fans are happy to pay extra money for extra content, or content they felt should've been in the original game.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Thing is though you're just one person. DLC won't stop because of one person. Even if there are more anti-DLC campaigners, they make too much money off DLC to stop because of a minority.

As for tourney set-ups, hardcore players are happy to pay for DLC, so those setups will have all the characters. Fans are happy to pay extra money for extra content, or content they felt should've been in the original game.
Which is exactly why we need to, as a community, take a stand now. Remember when you bought a game and that was it? You got your money's worth. Heck, I remember paying $40 for a new game, just released. These days, not only do you have to pay $60 for a new game, but well over that to get the complete experience, AND you often end up with less product than you had before! Even if it's only 1 company, we need to start somewhere to eliminate this scourge on gaming. Otherwise, enjoy getting ripped off every time you purchase a game.

TheTrueCorrectGuy

Smash Apprentice
In order, it went something like:

RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY, Endless Ocean Diver, RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY RIDLEY Classic Ganon

JustinMacacbre

Smash Rookie
I really don't want King K. I don't understand why he is so wanted ;(. I played the old Donkey Kong Country games and never thought to myself "that giant lizard guy is definitely a character I want to play as!" But hey to each their own. I guess I'm confused as to if people are just trolling when they as for King K. Like when they ask for Goku or Ridley. Is everyone voting for King K. because it's the cool thing to do? I didn't know he had such a big fan base. I'm sure he is getting in but I wish it was someone more creative and pretty to look at.
We need more females! And not masculine females or alternates like Robin.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
RIdley because he's important to Metroid as a whole so he needs a good role and needs to stop being a Pinata

I guess I'm confused as to if people are just trolling like when they ask for Goku or Ridley.
just trolling like when they ask for Goku or Ridley.
Goku or Ridley.
whoa now friend please don't put Ridley in the same vein as the anime trash

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
My primary vote was for Takamaru because I love the idea of the 1986 quartet being reunited, I am still craving a iaijutsu/draw and sheathe sword play character and Takamaru is one of the best characters to fill that niche (while also bringing some really interesting ranged play into the mix), and I wanted to show that there is a good fanbase for the character in the west contrary to Sakurai's comments to Sugita (the VA for Takamaru) in that one interview.

My other votes were for:

Lip (Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack): Because I really feel like a puzzle game character has nearly infinite potential in a game where movement and spacing are all important. Actively messing with people's positioning by flipping them with other objects or even yourself using cursors from the game sounds incredible. It'd also be nice since Lip is one of the oldest heroines from the Nintendo Puzzle League and it'd be great to see them play her off as a jilted star whose primary rivals are Dr. Mario, Yoshi and Pokemon characters for constantly "stealing" her claim to fame when the games get localized in the states. lol

Mike Jones (StarTropics): My second video game ever and the only hope I have for a character who fights using real yo-yo tricks for every one of their normals. The charging and vitality changing the strength and form of his Island Star yo-yo into the Shooting Star and Supernova could really make for an interesting character visually while not treading on the niche of the Earthbound kids due to him being more athletic and sporty.

Lyn (Fire Emblem): Again, Iaijutsu hype and honestly, she should have been a playable character since Brawl.

Anna (Fire Emblem): Still down to see the cheery merchant make a jump to playable, especially since there are still a ton of weapons that haven't been represented at all from Fire Emblem's weaponry (knives, lances, magic staffs, bows).

Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising): Honestly, Uprising has a high number of characters I'd love to see added to the roster but Viridi has great dynamics with Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit already making her a cool

Medusa (Kid Icarus/Uprising): It would be nice to have the original trio all accounted for. I could also see Medusa being about far more heavy offense and spells of petrification versus Palutena's light and defensive based nature.

Wonderful Ones/Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101): Very easily one of the most unique potential characters that could be added to the franchise. I'd love to see Sakurai tackle the idea of

Inklings (Splatoon): Let's face it, EVERYONE who saw E3 2014 has thought this at one point. No further explanation necessary.

Impa (The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword/Hyrule Warriors): Impa has one of the best and most iconic designs of the Zelda recurring characters and Skyward Sword's incarnation is just begging for more use in game.

King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country): Honestly, I did it for the fans. I don't have the strongest allegiances to the character myself, but I respect the potential he has and wanted to pitch a bit of good will towards the fan base.

Ashley (Wario Ware): Another vote for the fans.

Captain Syrup (Wario Land): As Wario continues to drift off into more WarioWare zaniness, it would be nice to have a character that represents the roots of the character's first playable outings. Even more so since she'd be a full on inversion of the "dainty and pure" female archetype most female Mushroom Kingdom and extended family entrants get and just be an equally avaricious and conniving character as good ol' Wario. Plus, what roster is ever complete without a pirate? :D

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
We should consider the new IPs: Splatoon, Wonderful 101, Codename S.T.E.A.M. Some of them could use the publicity and it's the most natural way for DLC to be used--introduce new characters from franchises that come out after the game's main release.

Additionally, the new game concepts lead to unique character designs. A Splatoon character could specialize in stage control, for example by painting the stage and moving much faster where painted. As a side effect, it could help encourage Nintendo to put more effort into new and unique IPs.

I'm leaning towards Lion (he's in the demo for Codename S.T.E.A.M. if you want to see him) I think it would be fun to have a character who specializes in attacks that make him bounce around the stage like a cat on caffeine. A steam mechanic could play like Robin's 'limited use' gimmick where so he can't use his jumping attacks too frequently and has to play a weak zoning game with projectiles between attacks.

I'd like to hear some other ideas. I haven't actually voted yet and am looking for ideas.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Also threw down a vote for Banjo & Kazooie after that whole "Phil Spencer finds the idea of them joining Smash neat" development recently.

Dellen

Smash Rookie
Warning Received
I want Quote from Cave story I even have a thread showing why he should be in smash.

I asked for Ice Climbers, which might be my vote gone, but with the New 3DS, they could totally pull it off.
I would love to have them in too.

Shaquille O'Neal

Just kidding, Rayman. I want to see something new and interesting, not a character that has been done before.
He would fit in so well.

Snake. He's kept us waiting long enough.
Id love to see how he would translate in smash bros

Shovel Knight!
I NEED HIM IN THIS GAME.
Shovel knight is pretty poplar with votes. He may have a chance

I made three submission. Paper Mario, Rayman and Shantae.
Paper mario would be boss

I absolutely 100% agree with King K. Rool, but we also need Shovel Knight, Geno, and many others. But I feel prioritizing Geno and either King K. Rool/Cranky Kong/Dixie Kong is important.
Nice requests

Last edited by a moderator:

Dellen

Smash Rookie
Wolf, he was the best 'clone' and was really fun to play. Also he looks badass. :wolf:
Id like to see wolf

I really don't want King K. I don't understand why he is so wanted ;(. I played the old Donkey Kong Country games and never thought to myself "that giant lizard guy is definitely a character I want to play as!" But hey to each their own. I guess I'm confused as to if people are just trolling like when they ask for Goku or Ridley. Is everyone voting for him because it's the cool thing to do? I didn't know he had such a big fan base. I'm sure he is getting in but I wish it was someone more creative and pretty to look at.
We need more females! And not masculine females or alternates like Robin.
King k rool is one of the top most voted characters being shovel knight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
:wolf: and :snake: (Though I wouldn't mind if :snake: didn't make it)

They are the only veterans that interest me and I don't care about new additions.

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
@ Dellen Dellen : Calm down with the multi-posting, please. If you want to add to your initial post, try using the edit button!

PF9

Smash Lord
I voted for Pichu and Krystal.

Pichu because as the pre-evolved form of my main, Pikachu, it was something of a secondary main for me in Melee. I miss being able to play as Pichu. Being able to evolve into Pikachu should be enough to get you into Smash. After all, it is important to have connections.

Krystal, meanwhile, would represent a fresh new face as a Star Fox rep. She would be very different from past Star Fox reps, using attacks based on abilities in Star Fox Adventures. She is my most requested female character.

AquaDork1

Smash Apprentice
I voted for Chibi-Robo and may also vote for any of the following:
Krystal Edit: voted for.
Rayman
King K. Rool
Dixie
Takamaru (if he even has a chance after being an assist and all)

Last edited:

Ai <3 Punk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aipunk
3DS FC
3883-6832-1213
I'm going to vote shovel knight now bc I just read he has no chance somewhere on the boards of gamefaq :yeahboi:

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
I guess I'm confused as to if people are just trolling like when they ask for Goku or Ridley.
I'm not sure if I should be offended by this comparison or not. I'm not trolling when I say I want Ridley, I genuinely think he's an important character to the Metroid series and think it would be awesome to play as him.

He set in motion the whole events of Super Metroid, a game widely regarded as required reading for game design, and is deeply integrated with Samus' past which is expanded on through the manga. Plus, how can playing as a space pirate dragon not be awesome?

Of course, there have been plenty of people who did take to using him as a tool to rile people up, that doesn't mean he's not a serious suggestion for a lot of people.

Kradzilla

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kradzilla
Wolf Link from LoZ - Twilight Princess. He would be so fun. And Midna can be on top of hiim kind of like how the duck is on top of duckhunt.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Alright, this might sound crazy, but I believe I am going to be voting for Banjo & Kazooie. This would of course be absolutely pointless under normal circumstances, since we previously believed there would be no chance Microsoft would even let Nintendo use the IP in the first place. I recently saw something, however, that completely flips the whole thing in the other direction... Thanks to my young account I can't link directly to it yet, but I'll at least mention how to get to it. Its a tweet from the Xbox boss, Phil Spencer. Just type in "Banjo would be cool in smash" or something along those lines, and you should find the tweet.

Here is what the tweet said: "Phil Spencer: I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues."

So... is there anyone else interested in the bear and bird? Does he deserve to fight along side the fighters? Even with all that has happened, I personally think he does. The only thing in the way now, is Nintendo. Perhaps if enough support was shown in the ballot, he could stand a chance.

Heck, I'd be all for it if a campaign for the two was started like everyone else seems to be doing for other characters.

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice

Poo from earthbound because what the hell, I know it will never happen but dare to dream. Besides im not really into the more popular requests I see and with lucas coming in im more than content with the current roster.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I voted for Lip from Panel de Pon (known in North America as Tetris Attack). Because she is adorable and has gone far too long without appearing in the series at all. She is the mascot of Nintendo's flagship puzzle game franchise, which is loved by many. So far all that's appeared of her is her stick, and her theme song in Brawl. Enough is enough, it's time to bring her into the fold. I'm sure she can be an interesting character.

Imagine the satisfaction of her Final Smash being a Panel De Pon game where you need to score as high a chain/combo as possible in order to drop the biggest garbage block anyone's ever seen onto the stage, crashing into it like a meteor and taking out everybody.

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I voted for using various devices....

Krystal
Bandanna Dee
Shantae
Lyn (no shot but lol love the char)
And i guess Bayonetta

Will throw some isaacs way, king k, and banjo even tho im indifferent to those 3 but i like unique/iconic chars so i threw the fans some support. And might give others some later that are actually a fresh fighting concept... not some semi rehash... imo imo pls imo

Vets are *channels inner joker* BORING (the only vet worth bringing back after mewtwo was the ICS, and effing lucina made roy redundant unfortunately, will always dislike mary sue #147) but sadly due to i miss you syndrome/cult powa this dlc could be rather bland but hey, it is what it is.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I voted for Team Rocket!!

:052::024: Prepare for trouble!

:052::110: Make it double!

:052: Meowth! That's right!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alright, this might sound crazy, but I believe I am going to be voting for Banjo & Kazooie. This would of course be absolutely pointless under normal circumstances, since we previously believed there would be no chance Microsoft would even let Nintendo use the IP in the first place. I recently saw something, however, that completely flips the whole thing in the other direction... Thanks to my young account I can't link directly to it yet, but I'll at least mention how to get to it. Its a tweet from the Xbox boss, Phil Spencer. Just type in "Banjo would be cool in smash" or something along those lines, and you should find the tweet.

Here is what the tweet said: "Phil Spencer: I think it would be cool if Banjo was in the next SSB DLC. We've worked with Nintendo on Rare IP before, no issues."

So... is there anyone else interested in the bear and bird? Does he deserve to fight along side the fighters? Even with all that has happened, I personally think he does. The only thing in the way now, is Nintendo. Perhaps if enough support was shown in the ballot, he could stand a chance.

Heck, I'd be all for it if a campaign for the two was started like everyone else seems to be doing for other characters.
I'd love to see it happen, but Microsoft might also be an issue. The only times that Rare and Nintendo worked together after the buyout, it was for games on handheld systems. Apparently, Microsoft had no problem with that since they don't have a handheld system of their own, but I'm not sure if the company would be as willing to allow one of the characters that they own to appear on a competing home console.

It would be amazing, and the moveset basically writes itself, but I don't know if anything will actually come of it.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3

Silly bear and bird , when I get through with you, you'll become a turd!
(now we must start a gruntilda rhyming thread)

Viridi (Kid Icarus Uprising): Honestly, Uprising has a high number of characters I'd love to see added to the roster but Viridi has great dynamics with Pit, Palutena and Dark Pit already making her a cool

Wonderful Ones/Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101): Very easily one of the most unique potential characters that could be added to the franchise. I'd love to see Sakurai tackle the idea of
all of my yes.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Another day, another vote dropped. This time it's for Daisy as Smash's dedicated athlete character thanks to some fan proposals I saw elsewhere.

All she needs is a Chaos Dunk command grab special and I'd have a new favorite brawler type character. lol

darkcat1

Smash Cadet
NNID
jmdavies1
3DS FC
0731-5847-1876
with me it will always be Mike Jones. Why? 1. we've had enough JP exclusive characters so let's add to Little Mac and get another USA one. 2. Startropics never even gets a trophy in Smash. It deserves better!. 3. Juts from the stuff in Mike's first game he'd have a unique moveset. Add in a few mele weapons from the second and you can round it out!

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I'd love to see it happen, but Microsoft might also be an issue. The only times that Rare and Nintendo worked together after the buyout, it was for games on handheld systems. Apparently, Microsoft had no problem with that since they don't have a handheld system of their own, but I'm not sure if the company would be as willing to allow one of the characters that they own to appear on a competing home console.

It would be amazing, and the moveset basically writes itself, but I don't know if anything will actually come of it.

Hmm... When you think about it, it could also be a smart business move to let him in though. I mean Rareware isn't really doing anything with the IP right now. What company doesn't like a bit more cash thanks to some DLC?

The tweet I was referring to ( https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024 ) is from Phil Spencer. He is the head of Microsoft's Xbox division and Microsoft Studios.. I just have a gut feeling there could be a chance if there was enough support.

Last edited:

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
K.Rool was my primary, but my wildcard was

To clarify I'm voting for THIS

'

considered voting for the female pilot in the Tornado suit, but I A) don't know what that one actually looks like, and she only appeared in the second game. And yes this is a Nintendo character, Intelligent Systems made the games, not a high chance of sucess, but you never know

Simon Belmont. Didn't save my rationale, but in summary I crammed into 500 characters that he's visually distinct, his signature abilities lend themselves to Smash, the Castlevania series can offer a lot of great content, and the series is strongly entwined into Nintendo's history. (Dang, what I just typed turned out better than what I submitted!)

I'm hoping guest characters are eligible for this. It would be a shame if they finally open a poll (which should have done before the game was even developed in the first place) just to dismiss a large chunk of the submissions. I'm thinking of typing up another one for a character like Excitebiker or something.

Last edited:

KGgames

Smash Cadet
NNID
MitsySueG24
I voted for....
-Isaac (Golden Sun)
-Fiora (Xenoblade Chronicles)
-Bayonetta (Bayonetta)
-Wolf (Star Fox)

Top Bottom