• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What character did you first ever main?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
From what I remember, the first character I have ever mained in Smash 4 was Ike. I thought he was really powerful and strong when I did and I would normally used him to try to beat my friend when I started Smash 4.

theyellowigreninja

Smash Rookie
Vermont, USA (No, I did not make this place up)
3DS FC
4742-6187-9008

primogenitor34

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrumpiestTurtle
3DS FC
1221-0293-7644
It's hard for me to recall, as I didn't really devote tons of time into Smash until Brawl, but...

64: :fox64: (Star Fox was my first Nintendo game I can recall playing and beating, and I was a huge sci-fi nut, having been exposed to both Star Fox AND Star Wars at an early age)

Melee: :bowsermelee: (I don't recall much of my time playing Melee, let alone sticking with one particular character, but I'm almost certain that Bowser was one of my most played characters; after playing a bunch of Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, I always found myself using Bowser, so naturally, seeing him in Smash Bros, I got to work.)

Brawl: :fox: :bowser2: (this one's a tie because I would always switch up between the two after nearly every fight. I was pretty good with Captain Falcon, as well...)

WiiU: :4robinf: (Literally the ONLY reason I picked up Robin was because I love the concept of magic and using it in video games [Skyrim is my wet dream]. I didn't even know who this character was at first, so I avoided her and stuck with familiar faces such as Fox, Bowser, and Marth, and experimented with new characters such as Greninja, Bowser Jr, and Zelda. I don't know what compelled me to pick up Robin at first, but I started using her more and more, and I can proudly say Robin is my first, strong main in Smash. And why female? Well, 'cause I think she's cute... She's also the reason I finally decided to delve into the Fire Emblem franchise, and I'm seriously in love with the game.)

mousethephoenix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mmmmouse
3DS FC
4184-2113-6491
back when i played melee with my cousins i would always either pick the children characters or the girls, because i was a child and a girl. when i started taking smash a bit more seriously i mained Lucas in brawl, and its been that way ever since.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:kirby2:'s copy ability intrigued me when I first played Brawl as a casual player, and he was my first Smash 4 main as well. However, when I learned about the competitive scene, I switched to :4lucario: since he was considered top tier at the very start.

I'm on the younger side of the competitive scene (and SSB's audience in general) so I never got to play Melee until after Brawl rolled around, and I used :kirbymelee: there as a casual not knowing how GARBAGE he was. Nowadays I just play :sheikmelee: and hope I can learn Melee on the side (although SSB4 will always be my focus, or at least until the community moves on to Smash NX).

EDIT: Replaced character names with icons for no reason

Last edited:

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I mained :4mario: when I first got Smash 4, because he's known for being a good all-around character.

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
I started with Samus (since I love Metroid) when we first got Brawl, but I soon switched to ZSS since I liked her faster aerial style better. Mained her ever since

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
Ah, Ness from Melee. I thought that the psychic kid was cool, and I used him well despite how unorthodox (and bad) he was in Melee. But I love all of his amazing buffs for Smash 4, and while I've always played him, he's especially fun to play with in SSB4.

Halogen

Smash Rookie
NNID
grich05
I spammed Dair with Young Link in Melee because that was the only way i could beat my older sister's Sheik

Transform

Smash Rookie
When I first came started to play Sm4sh, I played a fair bit of toon link, and then later moved to sheik, became a bit of a tier *****, and then grown to love her play style & character, and now I play Shulk, but still pocket sheik & toon link.

Stick Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sticker
3DS FC
1633-4504-2636
:pikachu2: because Pokemon is my favorite video game series and the other Pokemon in Brawl were 2slow4me.:sonic:

C3CC

Smash Lord
64: :yoshi64: because I love Yoshi and I always use him in all Mario spin-offs. I also used :pikachu64: from time to time because I was a diehard Pokémon fan.

Melee: :mewtwomelee: because as I said, I'm a huge Pokémon fan. I used :peachmelee: if Mewtwo was not unlocked yet.

Brawl: since Mewtwo got cut, I needed to go to someone else who could use psychic powers, so :lucas: just did fine. His playstyle just clicked with me. :zelda: was also used sometimes.

Smash 4: LOLOLOL I LOVE TOO MANY PEOPLE HERE

:rosalina:: My most wanted newcomer and third favorite Mario character after Yoshi and Bowser. She was the very first character I used.
:4yoshi:: It felt great to be able to use my very first main ever from 64 without it sucking.
:4charizard:: I love Pokémon and dragons. I hated that he had to share a spot with Squirtle and Iyvsaur in Brawl, so having him on his own is amazing.
:4palutena:: That personality, man. She's also very fun to use.
:4mewtwo:: MY MAIN FROM MELEE IS BACK, AFTER SO MUCH TEASING FROM GRENINJA AND LUCARIO FANS.
:4lucas:: MY MAIN FROM BRAWL IS BACK AS WELL, PRAISE THE LORD, PRAISE THE LORD, I SAY!!!!

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
In N64 :4fox: In Melee :4fox: In Brawl I immediately tried Fox but felt Wolf was a better Fox but never really had a main in brawl. In Project M I usually played as random. The residual Fox melee skills made Fox probably my all-around best PM character but I kind of mained :4mewtwo: In Sm4sh :4sheik: As soon as I got the game i tried out all the characters with a friend. The first characters I tried were Rosalina and Fox. I quickly gravitated to maining Sheik bc she was more technical and harder to play even though everyone was playing Diddy I still went with Sheik.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mario in N64, Luigi in all subsequent games, although I migrated to other characters later on.

I love that green plumber.

:231:

AAA Battery

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0216-1897-1891
In Melee... I never had a concrete main. Same for Brawl. For Sm4sh, I mained :4mario:, but now I main :rosalina: and :4yoshi:.

Fish-Stix

Smash Rookie
NNID
stefalina
3DS FC
4527-8368-0254
Wario in Brawl. I have always been a huge wario fan and I loved his moveset, especially the Waft
( I was like 9 years old when Brawl came out, farts were basically comedy gold for me, back then.)

When it comes to Smash 4 it's King Dedede. I already planned to continue maining Wario and Dedede in Smash 4 after Brawl alongside with Ludwig, but I consider Dedede my first Smash 4 main, because he is the only starter character of these 3 in the 3ds version, so I played as him first.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
In Melee, due to me having a love for Pokemon at the time, I mained :pikachumelee:. I later switched to :mewtwomelee:, and then :roymelee:.

After a few years of having fun with Melee, Brawl came on the scene. I had become more of a Zelda fan by that time, so I liked using :link2:. But my love for Pokemon stayed, so I also picked up :pt:. Years later, I had found a love for :lucas:and :ike:, with Mother and Fire Emblem becoming my two favorite franchises.

After awhile of Brawl, I eventually got Smash 64. Out of this game, :falcon64: and :ness64: were the only characters I really liked. Ness is the only character in the game I can even remotely win with.

Finally, Smash 4, my favorite Smash game in the franchise. At the 3DS version's launch, I mained :4ness:, :4marth: and :4luigi:. However, my mains changed so drastically throughout Smash 4. For awhile, I mained :4lucas:, :4feroy: and :4ganondorf:. I eventually moved on to maining exclusively :4cloud:, and finally, :4corrinf:, :4robinf: and :4lucina:. In the end, my love for Fire Emblem triumphed. :p

Viper115

Smash Rookie
Okay. In Brawl, I was a major :toonlink::lucas:, but in Smash 4 I got into the following characters:
:4bowserjr::4falcon::4falco::4fox::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4lucas::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4pacman::4pikachu::4robinm:(or, I tried, anyway):4ryu::4tlink::4yoshi::4miibrawl::4miisword::4lemmy:, but especially:
Main :4falco::4lucas: Secondary :4tlink::4myfriends: Pocket :4pikachu::4falcon::4fox::4ryu:
Also, I came here for another reason: I need a sparring partner for Smash 4. Anyone volunteer?
Hi I am also looking for a sparring partner, wanna hop in and get a few matches in now? My NNID is Viper115

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
My first ever main from Smash 64 was :link64:, so I transitioned to using :linkmelee: as my main in Melee at first until I changed to :younglinkmelee:, and also :marthmelee:. Then in Brawl my main became :toonlink:. I'm a big Zelda fan.

Smash 4 (3DS, the first version I bought, at launch) was the first Smash game in which I didn't start out maining Link in some form. I took to maining :4sonic:, who was one of my secondaries in Brawl. I loved using :4sonic: on Smash 3DS and still love using him now on Wii U. My mains now, however, are :4lucina: and :4mewtwo:.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
LOL i mained robin when the game first came out, but i decided to switch to roy because robin was too slow

Airpoizon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
(Private)
3DS FC
0946-2898-1267
So when it first came out I loved :4lucario: and mained him

Now I main :4feroy:

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Back in the wonderful days of melee, I played as everyone, No main, but years later? :roymelee:
Brawl releases, start to love :gw:
Introduced to the wonderful world of
EMULATION I find smash 64. and I first welcomed :pikachu64: before :ness64:.
A buddy came over with Smash wii U for the first time, and who do I see out of place and awesome? :4shulk:.

Last edited:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I started with Brawl, so my first main was actually Lucario, but in Smash 4 my first main was Duck Hunt.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
In Smash 4 I had originally planned to main :4robinf: but I ended up having my first main be :4greninja:. I don't main either these days though.

Yukirai

Smash Rookie
NNID
sumpoketrainer
my first ever main in smash was Lucas in Brawl ^^ that was when i got into the competitive smash scene ^^

Last edited:

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
First in Wii U/3DS was Lucina but slowly got back into Falco since I've mained him in past games.

wingedwill

Smash Rookie
Man, that's a wicked question. This kicked in waaay back before when I was a kid. I played 64 first, but melee was already out for a good long time. This is a long story since I'm in a writing mood, lol, TL;DR down below.

Coming from a first generation family to America, I didn't have much exposure to money or any fan things, just cheap toys to waste time in an old apartment with an older sister. I'm an arbitrary case; Chinese, Dominican, and Peruvian. Wickedness, all in a bag of tricks. I used to not be an athletic kid, so I couldn't completely connect with others when it came to sports. But it wasn't all bad, I was learning how to talk to people. 3-year-olds have to start somewhere.
First electronic I ever got was a Gameboy, and the very first game I ever got was, obviously? Finding Nemo :088:

... But then they also managed to get my sister a Gameboy, bundled up with Super Mario Bros. Advanced 3. It was the first I've ever heard of the plumbers, and it was simply magical. There was absolutely no other possible hero that was like that! He goes down green pipes... he jumps on these weird mushroom guys, real life obstacles like my sister screaming at me to give the game back? It was a dream come true! There was nothing like it.

I was later introduced to a cousin from my Dominican side, and he, unfortunately, was stuck in a wheelchair. But that's all I knew, but he was someone I could look up to. Low and behold, he found out I was a huge Super Mario fan...

Smash 64 - :mario64:
My cousin introduced me and my sister to this game. What got me hooked were the sound effects, so banging and satisfying, my Spanish heart could barely contain that excitement. Along with my quiet, yet interest in electronics sparked flares into my eyes, shot with blaring punching, slicing and kicking. Mario was punching these random people! My sister spammed Kirby's up special all day! My cousin knew we were just idiots, so he just kept falcon punching us all day! It was amazing. I never connected with him more than ever. It was astoundingly amazing. I later talked with his mom and she treated me like his little brother and my sister as his little sister. Not to say we didn't like our parents but it was someone else we could reach out to. Smash 64, while I wasn't a pro, it was a way I could connect with him. It was no contest to who was the winner those days.

Melee - :drmario:
See, Melee had already come out when I was already playing 64. My cousin told me that there were two Marios, and one of them punches with lightning. I was already sold. He never unlocked Luigi, so I was so confused when he told me about him. But the things he told me made me so excited. "A THIRD MARIO?! WHAT DOESN'T THIS GAME- BOWSER?? EEEEE" and what not. Of course, he tried convincing me that Luigi was totally not Mario, but he had his hat and I couldn't believe it. Ironically enough, I met some other cousins, went to their little apartment where barely one person could fit in it, and they happened to have melee and I only saw "GREEN MARIO" on the character select. But then I did :drmario: forward smash and ZAP BANG went his hands. Fire was totally lame. This was where it was at. I only played this like twice, but I would totally go back to the Doc.

I wanted to bring him, but his wheelchair would have never fit. It made me sad, honestly. But I would tell him about my adventures of getting smashed because I kept walking into Roy's fully charged Flare Blade, even though I knew he would never listen since we were playing DBZ BT3 and he was busy wrecking me with Gohan.

Meanwhile, I learned more about him. He wasn't always in a wheelchair, I saw him on the fridge! He had a baseball bat and everything, he was with a team and stuff. His mom smiled and laughed, told me that he was a regular kid, like me, my sister, or maybe even whoever is reading this. But since I was so young, that's all I really found out.

Brawl - :mario2:, :ike:, :falco:
Fast forward and it's 2010, Brawl already came out. I had a Wii, my parents managed to buy me and my sister, and only had Wii Sports. Another cousin buys me Brawl for Christmas, and it was the hottest game out there. All my friends wouldn't shut up about this game, and I was so desperate to get my hands on it, like finally! I have the game! Subspace Emissary, here I come! (Well, my sister too, but that's not the point.) It was the first smash game I owned myself, and I was determined to beat him down in this game. Captain Falcon may have been strong, but Mario is still totally way better in my book. He can drive, but I can jump :p! I did grow older anyway, so no more running into Falcon Punches.

I only had a Wiimote since we couldn't afford much, and I wasn't comfortable with the nunchuck. I held it in a really, really odd fashion; my right palm covered the entire back of the remote, index finger on the b button and thumb on the 1 and 2 button, and my left hand just mashing that D-Pad. I mean, how else was I suppose to shield or grab?

The Doc wasn't present, and Mario was wicked. But then, a Radiant Hero stepped in with a huge sword, taking chunks off of his opponents. That forward smash, that yelling "RAAH" while he helicoptered into the air! I was in love with the careful details of him. These small, artistic details hooked me away from the simple plumber to the blazing hero, Ike.

He couldn't possibly come to my apartment, so since I had the game, I would bring it to him! And I did. Oh I did. I brought the pain train! I brought the fire of the hero and I showed him what a golden blade looks like!
... But he showed me what a Falcon Knee looked like. And how fast you can bring the "GAME!" screen out. Needless to say, I took a little too long trying to bring out a swing. I grabbed him once, and that's all that mattered. I did something smart! We weren't pros but we had so much fun.

I later somehow turned to Falco, his lasers were cool and his voice was super fresh and spunky. Not to mention I destroyed friends and even him with Falco because dash attack is the best. "Don't try me", and "Personally, I prefer the air" really got me, maybe it was the accent. Also? The competitive Smash scene showed me how good Falco was. He was the ma- I mean bird. Ike was just played less because I was determined to get good with Falco, to the point where my Ike wanned.

This was during the time that Nairo was still attended Passaic High School, so my dumb head thought I could whoop him with a Wiimote since there was gonna be a small tourney in that school.

While I learned that Falcon Punch wasn't the only move I had to avoid, I learned much, much more about him. He was diagnosed with something I never want to remember or learn, but it hit him unexpectedly, and needless to say, landed him in that wheelchair. I noticed his room was groomed with massive amounts of goodies and electronics. He had way, way more than I could ever imagine. His birthday was near Christmas and he got like quadruple amounts of gifts compared to the rest of us, but none of us ever cared. I had a Wii? He had a PS3. I had a small iPod? He had a laptop. I had legs, and he had an expensive and electronic wheelchair. That specific detail is something I couldn't ever shake off. He also had a different bed from me, a medical one. It hadn't hit me, but I was learning more... details about him. His condition was getting worse, and when no one was around, it was just silent and sad. He had a nurse, but she wasn't really prevalent there in my eyes. She was much more apparent than ever.

I brought more and more of my grown self to him while he seemed to age in that wheelchair, and I didn't mind a single bit of it. He did, however. He loved that I came over and just talked and had fun with him. Smash was something we could turn to. It was a connection that, the only thing that blocked us were buttons, and we smashed the day away. The day whittled him away day by day he was getting worse and worse. It was destined, and I knew what was coming up. The future was upcoming; there was no stopping it.

Feburary, 2013. Smash 4 was already announced, and I'm excited for it but school was ending and I had to worry about next year. I'm doing laundry with my mom. She gets a call, and drops the clothes that need to dry. She looks at me, and tells me that he was in the hospital for a good while. That wasn't a surprise. What was, in fact instead was that it was over. He was gone, died in his sleep, peaceful but not the people in that room. Loud cries were heard, and the doctor could only deliver the news in silence. I'm at the funeral, and I cried when I placed my warm palm on his cold, cold forehead. His peaceful eyes made no sense to me from the blazing falcon fury.

See, something I left out of all this is that he wasn't my cousin. He was a family friend. I purposely omitted that, because I only learned that about a year before the news. But he would always be a part of my family, no matter who he was or where he came from. He was someone I could look up to when I only had a family full of girls near my age. It was lonely, and he was there for me. It was a rival, and that's something I could cherish.

I got a 3DS later, and had no one to share it with. However, I got New Leaf and Awakening. I became the mayor of the village Dreams, and... Gave birth to a daughter named Lucina. I was playing with a friend and she told me to make a female avatar. Jokingly, I agreed and never regretted it. I'm a guy but you know sometimes jokes are worth more than anything. (My tag on Wii U and 3DS is BuutttS for crying out loud)

Sm4sh - :4villager:, now :4lucina:
The demo comes out and I get it early. Friends and I are playing and I get tons of claims that I'm amazing. Villager was so much fun, and I waited so long for New Leaf. HE WAS THE ONE!!!!111 or whatever. Regardless, he's a main that I'm not gonna drop for a long, long time.
In comes the full game. I hated Marth from brawl because of his design, and his redesign made me reconsider this time. It looked so good... But while playing as him in classic, Lucina comes out of nowhere. Awakening AND New Leaf? Alright, Sm4sh, you've got me. Two mains! Two!

But Lucina's quote is what struck me. "The Future Is Not Written!" rung in my ears. Not only was she the character I related to the most in Awakening (Long story short I'm an official leader in like 7000 programs but that's another story) for a couple of reasons;
First, she was my daughter. It was a nice, fake little connection I could hold onto. (Plus her trailer looked the best AND introduced two other characters. One, including Robin and two, low and behold, Captain Falcon.)
Second, if you're keeping up with how I held a Wiimote, was the exact same way she held the sword in her promotion art for Awakening and Smash portrait. It was a dream come true.
Third, that quote. That quote really, really reinspired me to keep on going. If anything, this is for him. It's something to push for. I'm considered in my small group of friends and the many, many different people I met in tourneys to be an absolutely devastating Lucina player. This was before her buffs, but I'm only speaking out of my big ol' mayor top hat. Lucina is my favorite Smash character of All Time.

To Smash!

TL;DR
Smash 64 - :mario64:
Melee - :drmario:
Brawl - :mario2:, Then :ike:, now :falco:
Sm4sh - :4villager: with :4lucina:, I play a million other characters too but whatever

I'veChosenMyFate!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0834-4512-6203
My friend introduced me to melee, and I played sheik because I was a legend of zelda fanboy!

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
:4samus: I played many days. I started to get familiar to the competitive scene, and everyone told me Samus sucks. I didn't believe them. I trained in Classic mode and Training. I ran through dozens of guides. I eventually started annihilating them with the character.

Eventually, they just called me out for spamming, even though l used projectiles sparingly.

I had to find a solution to the problem.

:4luigi:Was the answer. The semi grappler fit right in with my use of Samus, and soon I used both in compliment to each other, though they could tell my Luigi would never be as good as my Samus.

IceThatsCool

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1907-9632-2400
I started in brawl, and gravitated to :wario: because I was in elementary and was into grossout jokes. I still use him to this day because I love his moveset, games, and hilarious personality, other than the butt humor.

jcx

Smash Journeyman
I started in brawl, and gravitated to :wario: because I was in elementary and was into grossout jokes. I still use him to this day because I love his moveset, games, and hilarious personality, other than the butt humor.
Wario's fun to play, but I have no idea how to use him... I remember cracking up when I found out that Wario jacked up the age ratings for Brawl and Smash 4 in Australia because of the farts >w<

Hectic99

Smash Rookie
NNID
momagain99
When I first started playing smash in Brawl, I picked up Samus and Marth just because I thought they looked cool. When I eventually got sm4sh, I first picked up ZSS because they looked like a fast character, and then it went to shulk, then pikachu, then lucario, then Mr.G&W, then Mario, then Pit, then Lucas, then Cloud, and now i'm at dedede....

Top Bottom