• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What can we tell about gameplay from the trailer?

Lechteron

Smash Apprentice
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUyoUfy5hGs

Something about Bowser seems more powerful but that may just be my wishful thinking.

Smash attacks seem really powerful but fighters could be at high percentages so we really can't be sure.

Meteor smashes seem more plentiful. They showcased two of them: Donkey Kongs Fair and Megaman's Hard Knuckle (Probably Dair).

Fighting seemed faster than Brawl. Can definitely see the Namco-Bandai influence in the attack styles.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Actually there is very little you can garner from this trailer other than relative sizes of stages (many Brawl stages were significantly smaller than Melee stages) and character attacks. Looks like the game hasn't evolved much playstyle-wise from Brawl and will come down to finite balance changes to really feel the difference unless they make more changes before release. Although IIRC they said the multiplayer battle engine was already more-or-less finalized.

The only interesting thing from the trailer to glean from gameplay MAY be from the part where Bowser dropkicks Mario (thats a new attack btw). It either shows that power shielding is better for punishing attacks or that the shield drops faster in general. Still not much to go on though.

Source: I've been analyzing Smash trailers since you were in diapers.

V-K

Smash Ace
Falling speed of Fox is slow like it was in Brawl.
And yeah Bowser has a new fair, except for that not much new. Rolling and shielding still works, air dodge was not shown, hitstun was not recognizable.

I guess we have to wait for another video.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Electricity still has that exact same overly-long lagtime as SSBB when striking an opponent. Naturally, many sfx sound similar as well. Hopefully they change that up before the games are released.

Beserkmaster

Smash Rookie
Green Lane, PA (Home) Millersville, PA (College)
Well, there is a few new stages.

Skyloft looks like a new Delfino Plaza.

That wrestling ring looks really fantastic.

New Battlefield.

Final smashes are back (Got from Megaman trailer; his Flame Burst attack, as well as Samus' Zero Lazer)

Dr. Wily's Castle stage.

AND New Smashville.

I think there will be a crouch-dodge in addition to the normal shield+down dodge. (Megaman trailer, about 35 seconds in, he does one dodge for bowser, then a different one for samus)

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
WTF I didn't know the smash bros site was up. Interestingly it seems that final smashes will make a return. This trailer actually had lots of gameplay but unlike the brawl trailer didn't show off any new mechanics. (Low Dodge maybe?)

lami

Smash Journeyman
I think that low dodge may just be Megaman crouching.

NO@H

Smash Journeyman
Looks like there'll be some sort of train stage from spirit tracks. I didn't see any tripping, either :p

Revven

FrankerZ
Electricity still has that exact same overly-long lagtime as SSBB when striking an opponent. Naturally, many sfx sound similar as well. Hopefully they change that up before the games are released.

It's called "hitlag". >_>

And I really doubt they'll change it. They don't understand the competitive reasoning behind why it should be lower for some electric moves.

The only thing I noticed was that powershielding looks exactly the same as Brawl. No pushback (or very little) and it looked like Bowser buffered it from a move into his new ground move. Not good.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Gameplay looked a lot like Brawl's pace. Which I don't mind. I thought Brawl was a happy medium between Smash 64 and Melee's almost overly chaotic speed.

But hey, I didn't see any tripping. :)

Life

Smash Hero
I think I'm seeing both kinds of air dodges? It might be character specific? Both the times I saw Bowser AD it looked directional but DK had one that looked like Brawl's.

AIRDODGEWATCH 2013

Exdeath

Smash Master
So far I've seen that the secondary hit stun is comparable to Brawl and Melee, but whether or not it can change states like in Brawl remains to be seen. There was a single air dodge that I saw, and it caused a suspension of downward vertical momentum. This suggests that that the "you can air dodge out of it" factor of Brawl strings and combos won't be as important and that punishing landings will be relatively easy like it was in Melee. Bowser's moves still had plenty of start-up, and it should be kept in mind that the sole instance of power shield involved Bowser's slow Ftilt (or Fair) punishing a smash attack from Mario. Mega Man seems like a knock-off of the flash-based Brawl game. Wii Fit Trainer has me excited not as as character, but because her move set seems like it actually encourages footsies. In WFT's final smash scene she is seen auto-grabbing the ledge... at almost short hop height above it. I wish that the % was visible so that power is visible. The only move that really stuck out was Link's Up-B seeming to consistently have high knockback.

"Samus is very powered up -- in appearance" broke my heart.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
7:03, Link performs a B-reversal.

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more hitstun, though it could just be the players not pressing anything.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I thought that the B - Reversal could mean that Arrows were changed to Side - B?
I mean I didn't see any boomerangs.
Anyway does anyone know if the ropes on the side of the smash bros wrestling ring are walls or do characters just slip through them?

BSP

Smash Legend
We can't draw that conclusion. If the engine is like Brawl's, the player could have just held down on the control stick and Mario would've skipped the ledge like so.

•Col•

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ&feature=youtu.be#aid=P-gwMXPuGS8 At about 4:25 of this video, Mario recovers right past the ledge in a fashion nearly identical to Melee, whereas in Brawl he would have just grabbed directly on to it. Hopefully this is indicative of general recovery mechanics in the game.
Not necessarily.

The person playing Mario might have been holding Up on the control stick after the Up B, which in Brawl will prevent you from autosnapping to the ledge.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Not necessarily.

The person playing Mario might have been holding Up on the control stick after the Up B, which in Brawl will prevent you from autosnapping to the ledge.
Actually holding up does nothing, its holding down :p, which means if the player was doing it, he did it on purpouse. Anyways, in my opinion Mario was just too far away.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Yep definitely heard it. But that was a strange auto snap, normally when you up b in that position in brawl it would have took you past the ledge and onto the stage. I've never seen an autosnap that close (at least for mario's up b) to the stage before.

UMR | donmk

RIP PM
I wonder if it's an auto-snap, or maybe Mario reached the ledge during the start up of the up b and the ledge grab cancelled the up b? Either way it's something interesting.

Of course, this is still demo stages, so I'll take any mechanics we find from these videos with a grain of salt.

Exdeath

Smash Master

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
WFT grabs the ledge while her feet are above the ledge, so it's more likely that the auto-snap is larger than smaller.
Could you do a frame by frame of that? Because to me it looks like the ledge is around her waist level when she hooks into it and she is also falling at that time.

Top Bottom