• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Don't know if this is unpopular, but here goes: Dual sticks is the worst method of control for shooters. I much prefer using a mouse or even a stylus.
Well mouse + keyboard literally is better than controllers because you have way more control. It's pretty much why console shooters have auto-aim, aiming with a controller is factually more difficult.

I struggle playing Halo 5 for this reason, still love the game.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Half-Life 1 > 2. Half-Life overall feels more complete, and there's, in my opinion, a lot more memorable sections than 2. It also doesn't help that 1 has more toys to play with than 2, even if the Gravity Gun is great.
To be honest, Half Life 2 to me just feels like a massive tech-demo for the Source engine very cleverly disguised as a game that everyone loses their minds over.
That also sums up my feelings towards Portal, too, actually. If I had never seen all the over-exaggerated hype Portal and Portal 2 get, I'd probably end up giving the original a 5/10 without giving it much thought then forgotten about it.

finalark

SNORLAX
That also sums up my feelings towards Portal, too, actually. If I had never seen all the over-exaggerated hype Portal and Portal 2 get, I'd probably end up giving the original a 5/10 without giving it much thought then forgotten about it.
I'll agree that they're overhyped, but I think just slapping an average score on them and calling it a day is really underplaying their achievements. You gotta admit that the concept and implementation is pretty damn fun and original.

JustPeachy

Smash Rookie
I'm sure an unpopular one of mine is that MOBAs are getting to much publicity in the esports scene when you have crazy skill based games like Melee, USF4, Marvel, and Starcraft.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I'm sure an unpopular one of mine is that MOBAs are getting to much publicity in the esports scene when you have crazy skill based games like Melee, USF4, Marvel, and Starcraft.
Are you trying to tell me MOBAs don't take skill?

I'm not going to say MOBAs, like DotA 2 or League, take as much technical skill as Melee or Starcraft, but the amount of skill and knowledge of these games you need to have before you start taking major games is still pretty crazy, on top of working with a team.

Plus they're on PC, and who doesn't have a PC (a lot of people)?

Also, welcome to Smashboards

Last edited:

JustPeachy

Smash Rookie
Are you trying to tell me MOBAs don't take skill?

I'm not going to say MOBAs, like DotA 2 or League, take as much technical skill as Melee or Starcraft, but the amount of skill and knowledge of these games you need to have before you start taking major games is still pretty crazy, on top of working with a team.

Plus they're on PC, and who doesn't have a PC (a lot of people)?

Also, welcome to Smashboards
I completely agree! They take a lot of skill but I don't understand why they are on top.

P.S Thanks for the welcome <3

Twewy

Smash Lord
I want to meet the guy who thought "Hey, we should make a quick enemy that's a bullet sponge and has hitscan that takes away a good chunk of your health."
Because I just beat Opposing Force and I just want to know who thought that was a good idea.

I bet it was the same guy who thought Alien Controller and Voltigore were fun to fight.

EDIT: Not sure if this is unpopular or not, but I didn't like OF as much as I thought I would. It had cool moments, and it introduced new, neat ideas that never got much use (squad commanding, the Barnacle that makes you a literal Bionic Commando, etc.). If the squad commanding saw more use, I'd probably like it more.

Last edited:

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta is seriously unimpressive to me. I think the thing that turned so many people onto it when it first came out (the game's engine) didn't stick with my because I played Metal Gear Revengence before I even heard of Bayonetta . I also am not big into any of the characters, from what I've seen they seem super one dimensional to me.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Bayonetta is seriously unimpressive to me. I think the thing that turned so many people onto it when it first came out (the game's engine) didn't stick with my because I played Metal Gear Revengence before I even heard of Bayonetta . I also am not big into any of the characters, from what I've seen they seem super one dimensional to me.
You ever play Devil May Cry?

Being the spiritual successor to that series (both created and directed by the same man!) it appeals to many who love the tone, style and game play of the original DMC series. Not to mention it's just a freaking fantastic beat 'em up by its own merits.

Also, while it may seem so in the beginning, by the end of Bayo1 it's pretty apparent the main character is anything but one dimensional.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Perhaps its because "they're running out of ideas" or "Pokemon is too overrated of a franchise" or *insert dumb argument here*.

Speaking of Pokemon, I think I may be the only one in this website who defends Smogon from its unjustified hate. By unjustified, I mean against people who hates Smogon because they think Smogon bans Pokemons because "they can't deal with *insert mon here*". It really irks me whenever people say that because Smogon gives good reasoning as to why they ban certain Pokemons.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I mean, sure... Pokemon is a really tired concept, but they're atleast kind of fun.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I feel the opposite way, I went into Bayonetta with high expectations and was still impressed by it.
My ooooonly gripe with the game is that it's a bit too punishing...which, all things considered...fits quite well.;)

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Speaking of Pokemon, I think I may be the only one in this website who defends Smogon from its unjustified hate. By unjustified, I mean against people who hates Smogon because they think Smogon bans Pokemons because "they can't deal with *insert mon here*. It really irks me whenever people say that because Smogon gives good reasoning as to why they ban certain Pokemons.
Since I played on Showdown, of course, I followed and agreed with their rules.
When I could sweep through some of the 1300s teams with a Mega Lucario with no buffs alone, you know he has problems, people.
I think the Pokemon and the Smash community have the same problem: The casuals hate competitive for very invalid reasons, and even when they do mention "the competitive community" is bad, their examples are often people who are just trolls...

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I hope they start to try something new with the next main series game, Black and White was a step in the right direction but X and Y and especially ORAS kinda went back on that, still fun games though

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon was easy but now it's at a stupid level of easiness.
Main reason I can't be bothered to pick it up anymore.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I love how the only way they found to make Red hard, which is supposed to be Gen 2's final boss, was to make all of his Pokemon be 20 or so levels above the levels your Pokemon are expected to be at that point in the game.
I think the last battle you have before Red in the game is against Blue, and if his Pokemon are anything to go by when it comes to what level the game expects your Pokemon to be, then your average level per Pokemon should be around 60, 65 maximum. Yet here comes Red, with his weakest Pokemon at Level 73, or 80 in the remakes, and his strongest being at Level 81, or 88 in the remake. Well... his most overleveled Pokemon is Pikachu, of course... Good luck keeping that thing alive for more than one turn.
Even with that, his AI is so underwhelming and all of his Pokemon bad save for Venusaur and Snorlax (and both have pretty bad movesets) that beating him with underleveled Pokemon isn't exactly unlikely.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I hope they start to try something new with the next main series game, Black and White was a step in the right direction but X and Y and especially ORAS kinda went back on that, still fun games though
I agree 100%

X/Y was overall disappointing for me esp. coming from BW/B2W2. OR/AS I enjoyed more than X/Y, but once I got through with the main story, I just stopped playing it. Well, I'll still hope for the best for future Pokemon installments

Last edited:

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
It's not too hard to infer you don't like Pokemon. I'm just curious as to why, cause it's not everyday you meet someone who wants something to fail.
ok

it's not fun
everyone is too competitive
fandom is kinda weird
gets boring easily

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
i actually just think its dumb
Aaaaand you just proved my point lol :p

it's not fun
"Fun" is subjective
everyone is too competitive
This is the strongest case of dumb generalization I've ever seen due to how wrong it is. Competitive Pokemon players are around 20-40% of the total Pokemon fanbase. Also, going by this logic, games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Smash Bros. deserves to die due how competitive it is.
fandom is kinda weird
Guys, I think Sanic and MLP should die. Kappa
gets boring easily
I get bored of racing games easily therefore racing games must die.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
They're free to play, they typically don't need a high-end system to run, and they're a lot more accessible.
Besides that; the genre has been heavily aimed at capitalizing upon past successes within the competitive gaming media. The guys behind MOBAs/MOBA-esque games are consistently backed and updated by their developers in a scope not seen in traditional fighting games.

Edit: I honestly wouldn't mind to Sonic canned at this point. If they were to pull off a good-2d Sonic with atleast Generations-tier level design and decent platforming controls; I'd be all for picking up some Sanics in the future. As of now tho, there's really nothing being offered from those games that validates them to me.

Also, Sonic fans aren't weird. There's games in the franchise I can get stupid fun out of (Colors and Generations are good games, even if a bit uninspired). The Sonic fanBOYS or superfans can be reeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllly ****ing weird tho. They come off like the precursors to the cringiest of the cesspools sulking in the Undertale/Otaku/Full-on weeb communities. Like wut even.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Besides that; the genre has been heavily aimed at capitalizing upon past successes within the competitive gaming media. The guys behind MOBAs/MOBA-esque games are consistently backed and updated by their developers in a scope not seen in traditional fighting games.
That too. Capcom is at least backing Street Fighter, so that'll probably grow faster soon.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I agree 100%

X/Y was overall disappointing for me esp. coming from BW/B2W2. OR/AS I enjoyed more than X/Y, but once I got through with the main story, I just stopped playing it. Well, I'll still hope for the best for future Pokemon installments
Same here.
The thing that really increased X/Y's longevity for me was the character customization. Not because it's well designed or anything, but because I eat that **** up.

I really hope they keep it moving forward, but gut feeling says they won't.

finalark

SNORLAX
I really hope they keep it moving forward, but gut feeling says they won't.
The fact that the Pokemon series always introduces awesome new features and then drops them for seemingly no reason all the time is one of the most frustratingly disappointing things all video games.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
The fact that the Pokemon series always introduces awesome new features and then drops them for seemingly no reason all the time is one of the most frustratingly disappointing things all video games.
Tell me about it.
I loved the watch gadgets from D/P (whatever they are called) but they are absent in the games that came after.
Meanwhile, I like the character customization, Wonder Trade, Pokemon Amie and Super Training from X/Y but no telling how much of that will stay in the future.

Last edited:

Shiida

Smash Apprentice
Aaaaand you just proved my point lol :p

"Fun" is subjective

This is the strongest case of dumb generalization I've ever seen due to how wrong it is. Competitive Pokemon players are around 20-40% of the total Pokemon fanbase. Also, going by this logic, games like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Smash Bros. deserves to die due how competitive it is.

Guys, I think Sanic and MLP should die. Kappa

I get bored of racing games easily therefore racing games must die.
they asked why i don't like it obviously it's subjective i'm not sure what you're trying to prove

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom