• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I actually thought the Sonic games (Adventure Battle 2, Heroes, RIders) were somewhat decent. :p
Riders and ZG were quite possibly Sega's best attempts at a spin-off for Sonic. I guess you could lump All-stars Racing in there, but it's more a crossover than a Sonic spin-off.......even though it specifies SONIC in the name. I kinda wish the Riders series would continue, even after the apparently disastrous Free Riders(never had a 360).

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Riders and ZG were quite possibly Sega's best attempts at a spin-off for Sonic. I guess you could lump All-stars Racing in there, but it's more a crossover than a Sonic spin-off.......even though it specifies SONIC in the name. I kinda wish the Riders series would continue, even after the apparently disastrous Free Riders(never had a 360).
Thing is, Riders can definitely work if they just mimicked SSX, but with hoverboards. I was disappointed when Zero Gravity limited you to automatic tricks instead of letting you do it on your own. And no boost mechanic is lame. And I'm not sure why everyone can't grind rails, give Speed types a different gimmick please, or give everyone no gimmick at all and copy Mario Kart but instead Flgiht types have best handling, Speed best acceleration, and Power best top speed

D

Deleted member

Riders is easily one of my favorite Sonic spinoffs. I loved the aesthetic, music, and it being on hoverboards rather than karts or actual cars like most mascot racing games was a nice change of pace. Wish I could say the same for Zero Gravity or Free Riders. I disliked the former, outright despised the latter. ZG's controls are way too wonky and tight for me, and the challenges are even more of a pain in the ass than the original Riders. I don't even have to explain how arduous it is to play Free Riders.

Ghostly ~

★ Speedrunner ★
NNID
Ghostly2500
3DS FC
0189-9740-2288
I think I'm only one who dislike the Sonic the Hedgehog 1, thought that Sonic 3D Blast (on the Sega Genesis) was decent, and was disappointed about Sonic Adventure 1.

Aife

Smash Apprentice
I liked the Werehog gameplay in the 360 version and enjoyed the challenge that the final eggman level brought. ;<

Im probably just biased though, as it was the first sonic game I bought for myself. (not the first one I played.)
Although medal collecting was a *****.

McHoss

Smash Rookie
Ooh ooh, I have a few of these!

I like Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger

I enjoy linearity over autonomy in just about every game.

I thoroughly enjoy Sonic Heroes, but NOT any of the Adventure titles

FF Tactics is the greatest FF of all time, and I prefer the re-makes new translation to the original one.

I think Baten Kaitos Origins is overall a much better game than Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean, but I believe that Sagi is one of the worst protagonists in any work of fiction ever crafted.

I find Yggdra Union to be Sting's greatest contribution to gaming, in spite of everything glaringly wrong with it that should make me hate it.

I think that tripping in Brawl is actually a well fleshed-out and innovative- PFFT okay sorry, can't finish that one seriously.

Although I love the setting and story, I couldn't STAND playing Majora's Mask.

I believe that Bowser is more of a Chaotic Neutral than a Lawful Evil.

I think that every Mario and Luigi title following Superstar Saga were inferior.

I hate Paper Mario 2's music (although the rest of the game is fantastic!)

I think Legend of Dragoon is an incredibly solid game with an incredibly poopy localization department.

I think the Naruto: Ninja Storm games are fantastic, and I don't know a thing about Naruto.

When it came down to concept, I always thought Robopon was cooler than Pokemon.

That's all I can think of for now!

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
Although I love the setting and story, I couldn't STAND playing Majora's Mask.
This is something I always felt. For me, the time limit always inhibited my ability to explore... which is a key part of Zelda's appeal to me. In every Zelda game, I always enjoy being able to take my time and lose myself in the environments. I can't do that in Majora's Mask. It always feels like a speedrun instead.

Of course, there's still a lot that I love that game for. This has always been a deal-breaker with the game for me though.

finalark

SNORLAX
Ooh ooh, I have a few of these!

I like Chrono Cross better than Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross is one of those games I really want to love. But no matter how many chances I give it, it's just one of the single most boring RPGs I have ever played in my life.

And trust me, I've played a lot of them.

I believe that Bowser is more of a Chaotic Neutral than a Lawful Evil.
^ TO THE MAX

Last edited:

Kasran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kasran
SSX, but with hoverboards
I think I'm in love. Add in SSX3's quasi-open-world setting, and this is a game I would pay good money for. I didn't realize I needed this until you put those words together.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I think I'm in love. Add in SSX3's quasi-open-world setting, and this is a game I would pay good money for. I didn't realize I needed this until you put those words together.
It's basically what I thought the next Riders game after the first would be. Instead we got Zero Gravity, which I had fun with, but after getting my fill of it, I realized how much I didn't enjoy about it. The gravity mechanic, although cool, really messed with the flow, and I hated how you could actually do tricks on your own, but I feel hat might be he fault of the Wii version (I had the PS2 version, so I don't know how it worked there). Removing boost and forcing the player to manipulate gravity just to drift was lame.

I think I may like SSX 2012 more than SSX 3, at least gameplay-wise. Zipping down Patagonia, grinding on the Great Wall, and gliding through the caves of Kilimanjaro is frigging exhilarating. I just wished I could actually customize my character's outfit, actually raced (or tricked) against physical opponents, and that some stages had a more SuperCross presentation to them. Racing against ghosts is fun, but sometimes I want to knockdown someone, plus you can't have banter with ghosts.

McHoss

Smash Rookie
Chrono Cross is one of those games I really want to love. But no matter how many chances I give it, it's just one of the single most boring RPGs I have ever played in my life.

And trust me, I've played a lot of them.
Totally understand that- it gets a lot of justified hate on multiple different fronts. There are things about it I'm not crazy about either, but on the whole, it's just a title that appeals to my personal aesthetic and storytelling preferences almost to a T! Lots of opportunities for self-imposed challenges as well.

^ TO THE MAX

NightmareViperSlash

Smash Cadet
NNID
DemonGamer1996
3DS FC
4441-9480-1382
I would say Earthbound or Mother series in general. But, the game after a few years have been getting more attention slowly I am not too sure. But if I were to pick another game I'd say games like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis, I've not seen much stuff about that around here where I live or bellow average online.

SpacemanDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSpacemanDan
3DS FC
2191-8207-6327
I've tried on many occasions, but I just can't get into Final Fantasy VI. I play it for what I would think is a decent amount of time, but then I just lose interest and stop.

On the other hand, I absolutely love Final Fantasy V, which I've heard many people say to be among the worst in the series. I understand that the story isn't the strongest in the series, but the job system really caught my attention and made it really enjoyable.

finalark

SNORLAX
On the other hand, I absolutely love Final Fantasy V, which I've heard many people say to be among the worst in the series. I understand that the story isn't the strongest in the series, but the job system really caught my attention and made it really enjoyable.
Most people who dislike V don't really get that it's a game about game play, not story. That being said, it's still one of the most underrated games in the entire series.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Just curious, is the story really a deal-breaker for fans? I've heard this "lack of story is a turn-off" given to Etrian Odyssey as well.
I don't know, maybe it's because I've grown up more with games that are gameplay over story, but is it really that big of a nuisance for many?

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
Just curious, is the story really a deal-breaker for fans? I've heard this "lack of story is a turn-off" given to Etrian Odyssey as well.
I don't know, maybe it's because I've grown up more with games that are gameplay over story, but is it really that big of a nuisance for many?
I've never needed story to have a good time. Just an objective, which 99% of all games have.

I think the whole "no story being a deal breaker" thing is from the trend of modern games having a ton of cutscenes. When you get that cutscene you're given a break from the action, and are rewarded for making it that far. I guess some people feel like they aren't being rewarded when a game doesn't have a story.

That being said, some narrative (when done well) is always a plus in my book.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Well, there are a few games that, IMO, are for more about story than gameplay. It's an odd decision and I can see how it can go really wrong. But Spec Ops: The Line is a game that does that and I really like it.

finalark

SNORLAX
It really depends on a person to person basis, I feel.

I know some people who really couldn't care less if a game has a narrative or not while for other people its absolutely essential.

SpacemanDan

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSpacemanDan
3DS FC
2191-8207-6327
Funny enough, I've never actually heard that complaint thrown at the Etrian games before. I could see why someone would say it, but I've never seen it myself. (I love the Etrian Odyssey games and don't mind the lack of a massive story at all, personally.)

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
It really depends on a person to person basis, I feel.

I know some people who really couldn't care less if a game has a narrative or not while for other people its absolutely essential.
I suppose that's true in a way. Though I'm the type that views the overall enjoyment of playing a game is, well, actually playing the game. Generally, I don't want to watch things happen, I want to be in control of making things happen. If I wanted to watch things happen or be strictly engrossed in a story, I'd watch a movie or something.

That said, if a game has a good story to enjoy I'm totally fine with that. Some of my favorite games, like the Paper Mario games, have well-developed stories that add to their overall charm. Still, my primary focus is geared towards gameplay.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
People make Undertale out to be so bloody perfect that it's getting to the point that, if it doesn't somehow cure my ruined ankle, I'm gonna say it's horrible.
I mean... to be honest, I can see how the game would be good... but even if I were to try it out, the price seems a bit salty for an indie game on Steam.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Story, Character and Music wise, I'm gonna say that Undertale is bloody amazing. The gameplay of Undertale is pretty weak imo. I'm not sure what are the prices of Indie games sold on Steam but I think 10$ is a pretty reasonable price for an indie game.

finalark

SNORLAX
Undertale seems to me like one of those surreal games you play to see what kind of delightfully bizarre things it can through your way. But on repeated play through the weak game play honestly makes the game kinda boring since you know all the weird stuff that's coming. Making it a one-and-done kinda game. Of course, I haven't played it myself yet. This is just what I'm assuming from what I've heard around the net.

Earthbound has the same exact problem IMO.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I've never needed story to have a good time. Just an objective, which 99% of all games have.

I think the whole "no story being a deal breaker" thing is from the trend of modern games having a ton of cutscenes. When you get that cutscene you're given a break from the action, and are rewarded for making it that far. I guess some people feel like they aren't being rewarded when a game doesn't have a story.

That being said, some narrative (when done well) is always a plus in my book.
It's definitely older than "modern gaming". One of the things JRPG-buffs clamor about is story, and JRPGs definitely not new. That said, the idea has grown in recent years. One of the reasons the recent Star Wars Battlefront was panned was due to a lack of campaign, which tbh, it doesn't need. But when the average consumer looks at Call of Duty or Halo which both have a campaign and multiplayer, Battlefront appears to be a lesser experience (which it is, but not because of a lack of story). It's something that depends on the genre though, no one is going to look at a MOBA or Fighter and complain that it doesn't have a story, although they may complain about something else that is "missing".

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
The way that JRPGs of the golden era would shove it down the player's throat who the main character is irks me quite a bit. Yes. I know Crono is the main character but maybe I want to experiment with Marle, Lucca, and Frog for a bit. Maybe I want to walk around as Garnet or Vivi because I prefer them and I don't find Zidane to be nearly as relevant to the plot as them so far.

Even if the main character needs to be in the party for the story to progress, I don't think the game should be able to decide for me which character I'm supposed to like the most. This always felt like an unnecessary restriction in these games.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
It's definitely older than "modern gaming". One of the things JRPG-buffs clamor about is story, and JRPGs definitely not new.
While true, it is worth noting that most early JRPGs were most certainly not about story. The appeal of the genre in the NES and even the SNES era was building a powerful party, exploring dungeons and finding loot. If you've ever played a good DnD campaign its pretty easy to see where this early mentality came from, especially since so many early RPGs were inspired by it.

It wasn't really until the PS1 and FFVII that story was put in the spotlight in JRPGs. While there are exceptions, FFVII really set that story expectation for all JRPGs that followed.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Journey has to be the most overrated game I have ever played. 30 euro for a game that lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes should be a crime. I did not find the artwork to be mind blowing like people say.

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Journey has to be the most overrated game I have ever played. 30 euro for a game that lasted 1 hour and 30 minutes should be a crime. Poses no challenge at all and I did not find the artwork to be mind blowing like people say.
Journey isn't really meant to pose as a challenge, it's an experience

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That's what I'm saying not mind blowing like people say, it's just flat out boring.
A game doesn't have to pose a challenge to be fun. Visuals Novels and Telltale games are a pretty clear indicator of that.

Note, that I'm not saying your opinion is bad, if you think Journey is boring, it's whatever. I just don't think it's fair to expect every game to provide some sort of challenge when some games aren't aiming for that.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
A game doesn't have to pose a challenge to be fun. Visuals Novels and Telltale games are a pretty clear indicator of that.

Note, that I'm not saying your opinion is bad, if you think Journey is boring, it's whatever. I just don't think it's fair to expect every game to provide some sort of challenge when some games aren't aiming for that.
Okay I didn't really mean no challenge so I'll back down on that.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Paying the equivalent of 32 USD for an hour and a half of entertainment is still pretty bad.
Maybe that was the store screwing me over.
EDIT: Nope standard price in all stores round here, 92 Metascore got me overexcited and I didn't do my research. Unlike me.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Actually, this reminds me:
In 2010, I got Time Crisis: Razing Storm for the PS3 very shortly after release. I bought it mostly because it came with Time Crisis 4 with it (and Deadstorm Pirates but I never played that) which was a game I really wanted to play. I paid at the time the equivalent to 80 United States Dollars for it, because prices were and always will be an absurd around here.
Yes, I paid 80 dollars to play two rail shooters that last 40 minutes each. Usually when developers release a game that's that short, they try to make it last longer by limiting continues and making the game harder. You know, much like Touhou does? (Hell, Touhou is never longer than 30 minutes) But no, Time Crisis 4 is really easy but I must admit my prowess with rail shooters didn't help the difficulty. Razing Storm was harder, but not much.
Not everybody is as into rail shooters as I am, so not everybody is exactly gonna come back to this game after finishing it like I do, so for the average person, this game is probably worth 10 dollars at best. Definitely not worth 80, obviously, but then again, I don't think any game is worth that much.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Paying the equivalent of 32 USD for an hour and a half of entertainment is still pretty bad.
I'd rather base monetary value on how fun it was rather than how long. GTA V may have had 20+ hours of content (I don't actually no, I just enjoyed blowing **** up), but Mirrors Edge was way more enjoyable in it's 6 hours, and I paid the same price for both, $60.

That said, you may be getting ripped off Ocarina Stealer Ocarina Stealer . I just checked the price right now and it's only 15 USD (Not sure what that is in Euros). I'm guessing you bought it when it was new?

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I did buy it when it was new but I think American video game prices are cheaper when you convert the currency. Especially with DLC.

McHoss

Smash Rookie
Not everybody is as into rail shooters as I am, so not everybody is exactly gonna come back to this game after finishing it like I do, so for the average person, this game is probably worth 10 dollars at best. Definitely not worth 80, obviously, but then again, I don't think any game is worth that much.
I'm not super familiar with rail-shooters as a genre, but I do play Star Fox 64- my personal favorite video game of all time. Are there any staples in the genre you could recommend I check out?

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
Don't know if this is unpopular, but here goes: Dual sticks is the worst method of control for shooters. I much prefer using a mouse or even a stylus.

On the topic of rail shooters, I really wish Panzer Dragoon was still a thing. They were among my favorite games when I had the Saturn. But I don't foresee Sega bringing them back anytime soon, which is a damn shame.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I'm not super familiar with rail-shooters as a genre, but I do play Star Fox 64- my personal favorite video game of all time. Are there any staples in the genre you could recommend I check out?
Rail shooters are dead, nowadays. I'd be surprised if the average number of rail shooters released per year since the start of the millenium is bigger than 1. But in case you want to play some, The House of the Dead, Virtua Cop and Time Crisis are three of the most fondly remembered series from the genre.

The House of the Dead: Overkill is a very well received and relatively recent rail shooter. It has good sense of humour, it's very well acted (well, if you put faith that the bad acting is trying to imitate the horror films it parodies), is very fun, has a great soundtrack, pretty challenging as long as you don't buy any of the crazy automatic weapons, and even better, you can get it on Steam pretty cheap. The Steam version is The Typing of the Dead: Overkill, which is actually a version where you have to type at the mutants to kill them, which is ridiculous but just as much fun. You can still play the old rail shooter if you want to, though. There's also The House of the Dead 4 on PS3, which is fun, too.

Virtua Cop... is a series Sega's swept under the rug. I don't think there are any recent rereleases of any of the 2 games, and Virtua Cop 3 doesn't even have a console port... unless you have an original Xbox and are willing to hardmod it and double its ram, then you can literally port VC3 yourself. I think the most recent rerelase is on the PS2, and it comes with both Virtua Cop and Virtua Cop 2, which is nifty. The Virtua Cop games focus more on your reflexes to aim quickly, avoid civilians and finding secrets such as Life Bonuses and new weapons. Out of the three series I'm listing, Virtua Cop (atleast the first two) is the only one with no cutscenes and no story. You don't even have much of a context to what you're doing. So, if that bothers you, keep that in mind. Virtua Cop 2 is arguably better than 1 because I think it's almost double the lenght and is far more difficult (VC2 really doesn't screw around with the difficulty, it gets real as early as the second scene in the first level).

Time Crisis is arguably the best out of those three, and the one with the most entries, too. You got Time Crisis and Project Titan on the PS1, Time Crisis 2, 3 and Crisis Zone on the PS2, and Time Crisis 4 and Razing Storm (which has 4 included with it like I said before) on the PS3. Time Crisis 5 was released a year ago but it has no console version yet and no word on one. They all have great soundtracks, very inovative gameplay with the time mechanic, the cover mechanic and the fact two players don't play on the same screen, they have a story with lots of actually pretty decently acted cutscenes (well, not in the case of 4 and 5), and you get lots of enemies to shoot and plenty of things to blow up. They all have a decent lenght to them (except the original which is 10 minutes long but that game puts you in a massive hurry, it's probably the only game where there's an actual TIME CRISIS going on) with Time Crisis 3 being the longest and the one of the hardest. My personal favourite is 2, but 1 and 3 are great games, as well. 1 compensates for the ridiculously short lenght by being the hardest. There's no hit indicator for the bullets, you need to use cover in advance to dodge bullets, you only get 3 or 5 lives unless you cheat, you only have 6 bullets instead of 9 like in the future titles, if the time runs out, you instantly lose a continue (the future games only make you lose a life) and in the PS1 version, you go back to the beggining of the area if you continue, and the game gives you barely enough time to finish the stages and it loves wasting the little time it gives you.

Just remember that, if you want to play any of these games with a lightgun, you're both gonna need a lightgun itself and an old CRT TV. Any questions, just ask me.

New Don't know if this is unpopular, but here goes: Dual sticks is the worst method of control for shooters. I much prefer using a mouse or even a stylus.
You can get really, really accurate with Dual Sticks if you practice enough, and it's not even as hard as you think. You'll never be as accurate as a mouse, but it's serviceable.
Dunno how you think it's worse than a Stylus, though. Ugh. Call of Duty on the DS is bloody unplayable, for me.

Last edited:

Twewy

Smash Lord
Half-Life 1 > 2. Half-Life overall feels more complete, and there's, in my opinion, a lot more memorable sections than 2. It also doesn't help that 1 has more toys to play with than 2, even if the Gravity Gun is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom