• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your unpopular gaming opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Like, I can't into Mario Galaxy 2 because I think it's really rehashy.
Aren't all Mario games rehashy though? They're enjoyable games, but they have a real been there done that feel to them. Which isn't a bad thing per se, again, they're enjoyable, but still.

finalark

SNORLAX
Aren't all Mario games rehashy though? They're enjoyable games, but they have a real been there done that feel to them. Which isn't a bad thing per se, again, they're enjoyable, but still.
IMO it's mostly the NSMB series that's really rehashy. Although really Sunshine is just 64 with better controls, a functioning camera and a water gun while Mario Galaxy was Mario 64 in space. I thought isometric Mario in 3D Land and 3D World was interesting. Not worth the $60 price tag IMO but still pretty different.

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
For me, saying that you hate a game means that the game in question fills you with bitter anger. Hate's a strong word, and there's a big difference between hating something and not liking it.

But on topic, I feel like my love of Sunshine comes from nostalgia but it is a game I've revisited a million times before. I remember really liking Mario Galaxy but I've only ever done one play through of it, mostly because I don't own a copy of the game and I don't really feel all that compelled to.
Yeah you're right xD Im not necessarily ANGRY at a game, but disappointed and confused lol. But yes 'dislike' is a better word for my opinion on Galaxy. :p

Nostalgia? Man i guess that game is that old huh? o.o But yeah it can be nostalgia in the mix, but it really does control much more smooth and quick. Gives you a better range of movement options that you utilize well to traverse things super fast, something I remember fondly. You can see this well in Speed runs of Sunshine, compared to Galaxy Runs...ZZZzzzZzZzz

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Nostalgia? Man i guess that game is that old huh? o.o But yeah it can be nostalgia in the mix, but it really does control much more smooth and quick. Gives you a better range of movement options that you utilize well to traverse things super fast, something I remember fondly. You can see this well in Speed runs of Sunshine, compared to Galaxy Runs...ZZZzzzZzZzz
Sunshine came out in 2001. Everyone who is old enough to have grown up on that game is in their twenties by now, myself included.

Honestly, I remember liking Galaxy more than Sunshine when I first played it but I've never even considered a second play through. I feel like some day I should play both game back-to-back before I make up my mind on which one I think is better.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
I understand not wanting clone characters and third party characters, but why not Robin? He's one of the more unique characters in the game and he's a mage, making him pretty different from the other FE reps.

IMO if any FE character should have been dropped it would probably be Lucina assuming that Roy was planned from the beginning.
I do really like Robin (as a character in Awakening) don't get me wrong but I just don't see the point of him/her in Smash. She's/He's is supposed to be a model of you and is customizable in game. I think they should add someone from FE that is different like Tharja Nowi or Libra.
That's no way to treat the savior of modern video games.
R.O.B isn't even a proper character. It is a NES accessory that played TWO GAMES! And you said saviour of MODERN video games. It was basically branded by Nintendo as a toy so they could trick sellers of video games to stock it in 1985. With the video game crash being in 83.

R.O.B isn't even a proper character. It is a NES accessory that played TWO GAMES! And you said saviour of MODERN video games. It was basically branded by Nintendo as a toy so they could trick sellers of video games to stock it in 1985. With the video game crash being in 83.
Well, yeah. They kinda had to find a way to Trojan Horse the NES into retailers, given the negativity surrounding video games at the time. R.O.B. was their Trojan Horse, retailers sold it, the NES got into the hands of the youthful masses, games were made, money was made, the video game industry was pulled from the dripping maw of failure, and the world is (arguably) a better place because of it.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I highly prefer Terra Branford's blonde hair design to the green hair look she actually has in-game in Final Fantasy VI. I have a lot of respect for Yo****aka Amano as an artist and whenever I envision Terra, I always envision her with blonde hair. If Final Fantasy VI ever gets a 3D remake, I hope the character designs are more aligned to Amano's original vision. That especially means that Celes Chere should have her original outfit and not some weird green bathing suit. That would not translate to 3D very well at all...

EDIT: I find it amusing that the filter thinks I'm swearing

Last edited:

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Sunshine came out in 2001. Everyone who is old enough to have grown up on that game is in their twenties by now, myself included.

Honestly, I remember liking Galaxy more than Sunshine when I first played it but I've never even considered a second play through. I feel like some day I should play both game back-to-back before I make up my mind on which one I think is better.
Sunshine's still a very solid game. Just really rushed with some problems here and there (mandatory unskippable story was one). Galaxy's problems is less control/freedom in movement and abilities compared to 64 and Sunshine. However, the level design was a giant step up while the optional Rosalina story book was the best story thing from a mainline Mario title.

On that topic, I've mentioned it before, but Super Mario 64 is my least favorite 3D Mario game (that or 3D Land). I'm not too into a sandbox Mario title, so the more open mission objectives don't interest me. Powerups are way too short and don't add much to the game for me. Sunshine went towards the same direction as 64, but I thought it pulled it off way better. It still loses to some things compared to 64 by being rushed, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here are some more that I have:

- To The Moon, while not completely terrible, is extremely overrated. The overall story was alright and there were a few sad parts, but it was hampered down by some really dumb plot moments and incredibly cringe-worthy humor (such as the squirrel "fight" scene and the unnecessary modern day references). I'd also like to add that Neil is one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen in a game.

- X/Y are the worst of the main Pokemon games.

- DKC3 > DKC2.

- DK64 is overrated. Collecting everything is fun at first but by the time you get to the water world it becomes a giant chore (it can still be enjoyable at times).

- I actually really liked Spirit Tracks.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I unironically like Devil May Cry 2 and I think it's a massive step up from DMC1, which really hasn't aged very well. Hell, even as early as 2005 when the third game came out it was feeling clunky, old and with some odd design choices carried over from when it was supposed to be a horror game instead of a beam-'em-up.

Yes, replacing goofy snarky Dante with generic brooding 2000s anti-hero Dante was a bad choice, but this flaw is mitigated by pressing start during cut scenes. I understand that Dante himself is a big part of the DMC experience for most people, but I honestly didn't find him all that fun or interesting until DMC3. Still, the game play is so massively improved from DMC1 that I can't help but actually enjoy DMC2 quite a bit.

Twewy

Smash Lord
Yeah I know you fight 3 metal gears
On Easy, yeah. I think it's like Very Hard/EE where you fight 20, and it's pretty awesome.

A lot of people will agree with you on MGS2, though. Back in the day people expected a Snake game and hated Raiden, and 14 years later the plot still confuses the living hell out of a lot of people.

Sunshine was 2002, but close enough. Personally, on the topic of 3D Mario, I have to say I think Galaxy is the most overrated game of the four. Don't get me wrong, it was a great game, it's just Galaxy 2 is a bit more likable for me.

If I personally had to rate them it'd probably be Galaxy 2 > 64 > Sunshine > Galaxy, though the 64 placement is mostly out of nostalgia and personal experience, I'll admit.

finalark

SNORLAX
I love Chrono Cross.
Chrono Cross seems to be a love-it-or-hate-it kind of game. Back in the day it was a critical darling (94 on Metacritic and its one of the few games to ever be awarded a perfect 10 from Gamespot) but really divisive among fans for not really being what many of them expected or wanted. Fifteen years later it seems like lots of people have warmed up to the game or at least gave it a second chance.

Personally, I dislike the game for a number of reasons but it's interesting to see how people's reactions and attitudes to different games change over time.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Quite honestly, I think that X is the last great FF. VII was great, VIII was love-it-or-hate-it, I never played IX, and X is terrific if you aren't still salty about the sphere grid (which I think was a creative addition) and the lack of over world map. X-2 was kinda mediocre in my opinion and the quality went downhill from there. XIII was the worst point, XIV had a rocky start, got better, and was still harshly judged from its original non-polished form.

Anyways, unpopular opinions...
- Diddy Kong Racing hasn't aged well
- Crash Bandicoot was never a great game
- Super Mario 64 isn't a good game
- Smash 64 is more competitive than Smash 4
- King K. Rool doesn't deserve to be in Smash
- Hearthstone isn't very competitive because it's 20% strategy and 80% RNG
- Obsidian shouldn't inherit BioWare stuff because they usually make the sequel worse (NWN II, KOTOR II)
- I like Sonic Heroes & Riders
- I like both Sonic Adventure games (never thought this would be an unpopular opinion)
- Super Mario Kart is kinda horrible
- F-Zero > Double Dash > Excitebots > Any Other Mario Kart
- SF has been the worst popular fighting game in the competitive scene since the release of 4
- I'm not willing to pay $110 for a video game plus the season pass once per year that gives extra content I could have had if they put more than two years of development into it (looking right at you, CoD)
- GT > Forza (not sure if this is unpopular, but I believe it)
- Old NFS > New NFS (with Undergrounds being exceptions)
- Pokemon Gen 6 isn't that great
- Someone can like both DOTA 2 and League
- I prefer an original DS/3DS over an XL because I like something I can fit in my pocket
- Guitar Hero > Rockband for guitar parts (I like the strictness of Guitar Hero's notes vs Rockband's "eh, you were close enough, here's a bag of points"), as individual games Rockband > Guitar Hero because of additional content, and as a franchise Guitar Hero > Rockband because Guitar Hero started the whole instrumental rhythm game fad that dominated the late 2000s
- FPSs in general aren't that fun. There are a few that are fun such as Halo, Halo 2 and Halo 3, but as a genre I don't like them.
- FE9 > Sacred Stones > Awakening
- Awakening never made me feel any emotion throughout the entire game

I still have a few others, but we'll start with this.
YESSSSSS! Most of this.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Fire Emblem fans have the most annoying possible way to refer to the games in the series. The games don't all fit in one single timeline, so referring to something as "FE4" doesn't tell me anything about which game you're talking about unless I look up a release timeline. When they don't refer to something by number, they use a romanized name, which is like someone who only speaks English speaking English with another English monoglot and calling a sandwich a "rhyngosod". If they hang around you enough, they'll eventually figure out what you're talking about, but if you want to talk about Blazing Sword, there's no reason to call it "Rekka no Ken" when the rest of your communication is in English. Sure, there can be minor confusion among games with debatable name translations, like Sword of Seals, but even if someone calls it Binding Blade you'll still know what they're talking about.

finalark

SNORLAX
Fire Emblem fans have the most annoying possible way to refer to the games in the series. The games don't all fit in one single timeline, so referring to something as "FE4" doesn't tell me anything about which game you're talking about unless I look up a release timeline.
The fact that remakes are considered numbered entries is confusing to me, since it's the only fan base that does it.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I don't understand what so many Pokemon fans see in Gen III and the Hoenn region. I wouldn't call it terrible but it's definitely my least favorite generation. I never liked how the dungeons in Hoenn were all so tiny and unsatisfying to complete. The removal of the day and night cycle also really bugged me. I never found the weather system they replaced it with to be quite as dynamic. Typically, certain areas in the region always have the same weather conditions so it never added much. And I know some people dislike this but there weren't enough new pre- and post- evolutions for my taste. Personally, I like that feeling of connectivity between generations. Lastly, I just find the entire region to be a dull and barren place to explore.

Ironically though, Gardevoir is my favorite Pokemon. :p

finalark

SNORLAX
I don't understand what so many Pokemon fans see in Gen III and the Hoenn region. I wouldn't call it terrible but it's definitely my least favorite generation. I never liked how the dungeons in Hoenn were all so tiny and unsatisfying to complete. The removal of the day and night cycle also really bugged me. I never found the weather system they replaced it with to be quite as dynamic. Typically, certain areas in the region always have the same weather conditions so it never added much. And I know some people dislike this but there weren't enough new pre- and post- evolutions for my taste. Personally, I like that feeling of connectivity between generations. Lastly, I just find the entire region to be a dull and barren place to explore.
At one point, this was a very, very popular opinion.

My how times have changed.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
So much this. I was only, what? Eight? Nine? Ten? When I first played Sapphire, after playing Gold and Crystal almost nonstop ever since I got my GBA. I still played Sapphire, but I thought it was such a massive step down from Gen2 that I really only played it a few times in my entire childhood, sticking almost exclusively to Gold and Crystal when I wanted to play Pokemon. To me, Gen3 defines all style, no substance. I never could, and still can't, see for the life of me why anyone who's played either Gen4 (my favorite) or Gen2 (my second favorite) could say that Gen3 is even decent, as far as Pokemon games go. Gen1 had an excuse for being bad, it was the first game in the series for something that had never been tried before and possibly a little too ambitious for the OG Gameboy.

I will give Gen3 props for producing Colosseum, my favorite Pokemon game. XD was good too, and definitely improved a few things, but overall I preferred Colosseum.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Gen 3 basically was the Mega Man Battle Network 4 effect. Game gets solid in the competitive department finally, lacks everywhere else. If a third of the game wasn't just you surfing and fighting water pokemon, I'd be a little more cool with it. I don't remember much of gen 4 and on.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Gen 3 basically was the Mega Man Battle Network 4 effect. Game gets solid in the competitive department finally, lacks everywhere else. If a third of the game wasn't just you surfing and fighting water pokemon, I'd be a little more cool with it. I don't remember much of gen 4 and on.
Ugh surfing is the worst part of all of the Pokemon games.

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Ugh surfing is the worst part of all of the Pokemon games.
Remember, it's UNpopular opinions we're discussing here.

Here's one: I didn't much care for MMBN3. It introduced a lot of neat things, like NaviCust, but if you want a halfway usable folder you have to use Custom Style, which locks you out of getting certain NaviCust programs like Super Armor from GutsStyle and Bug Stop and Dark License from BugStyle. The NaviCust was a nice idea, but to use it to any effect you had to go to GameFaqs and look up crap like Compression Codes and Error Codes. Let's not even start on the story-mandated programs *shudder*. NaviCust was handled far better in 4 and 5.

In addition, defensive chips are so weak as to be practically worthless. It's not a major problem at endgame, but you're not going to need but a few of them at endgame anyways, because you need more damage chips

Last edited:

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
Remember, it's UNpopular opinions we're discussing here.

Here's one: I didn't much care for MMBN3. It introduced a lot of neat things, like NaviCust, but if you want a halfway usable folder you have to use Custom Style, which locks you out of getting certain NaviCust programs like Super Armor from GutsStyle and Bug Stop and Dark License from BugStyle. The NaviCust was a nice idea, but to use it to any effect you had to go to GameFaqs and look up crap like Compression Codes and Error Codes. Let's not even start on the story-mandated programs *shudder*. NaviCust was handled far better in 4 and 5.

In addition, defensive chips are so weak as to be practically worthless. It's not a major problem at endgame, but you're not going to need but a few of them at endgame anyways, because you need more damage chips
No that wasn't an opinion it was just me agreeing with Minato's point that there was too much surfing and water Pokemon fights. Sorry if it caused confusion.

Here are some console based ones: I would not touch an XBOX even if you paid me. The PS4 is great apart from the controller. Battery life is one poor point but that is a small issue compared to the shape. If I ever go back to the PS2 or less regularly the PS3 it takes three hours to me to adapt to it again it is a bad shape.

Also Pokemon Heart Gold is the best Pokemon game.

Last edited by a moderator:

finalark

SNORLAX
Here are some console based ones: I would not touch an XBOX even if you paid me.
I thought the original Xbox was a pretty rad console once MS addressed the console's biggest issue and replaced the original controller with the S model. Comparison image here. Plus the console had a ton of little gems on it in addition to the two fantastic Halo games the Xbox is known for. The only real issue is that a lot of console sellers, aside from the two Halo games, don't hold up that well. Ports of things like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Elder Scrolls III and Knights of the Old Republic were godsends to people who wanted to play those games but didn't want to dump the money into a computer. However, that was back in the early 2000s. These days those games are so easy to run that these ports come off as quaint.

The 360 on the other hand was a mixed bag. I felt like its first few years were its strongest but as time went on the console became less and less unique as Sony caught up and it lost its exclusives. Let me tell ya, 2007 was one hell of a year for 360 owners. Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 and Halo 3 all as console exclusives that year? Holy crap. The thing that really hurt the console was its infamously garbage hardware and equally as infamous community. Plus they ended up replacing that stylish dashboard interface for the more generic and less appealing cross-bar rip off thing once the PS3 got rolling. Oh well, I still really like it's controller for certain games.

The Xbone is a really, really goofy mistake in every direction. I don't think I could come up with a whole lot of good things to say besides that it has a fantastic remake of Halo 2 and not much else.

DEDEDEDEDEDE

Banned via Warnings
NNID
MNH003
3DS FC
5300-9013-9670
I thought the original Xbox was a pretty rad console once MS addressed the console's biggest issue and replaced the original controller with the S model. Comparison image here. Plus the console had a ton of little gems on it in addition to the two fantastic Halo games the Xbox is known for. The only real issue is that a lot of console sellers, aside from the two Halo games, don't hold up that well. Ports of things like Half-Life 2, Doom 3, Elder Scrolls III and Knights of the Old Republic were godsends to people who wanted to play those games but didn't want to dump the money into a computer. However, that was back in the early 2000s. These days those games are so easy to run that these ports come off as quaint.

The 360 on the other hand was a mixed bag. I felt like its first few years were its strongest but as time went on the console became less and less unique as Sony caught up and it lost its exclusives. Let me tell ya, 2007 was one hell of a year for 360 owners. Bioshock, Mass Effect 1 and Halo 3 all as console exclusives that year? Holy crap. The thing that really hurt the console was its infamously garbage hardware and equally as infamous community. Plus they ended up replacing that stylish dashboard interface for the more generic and less appealing cross-bar rip off thing once the PS3 got rolling. Oh well, I still really like it's controller for certain games.

The Xbone is a really, really goofy mistake in every direction. I don't think I could come up with a whole lot of good things to say besides that it has a fantastic remake of Halo 2 and not much else.
360 was the worst for sure and pay for multiplayer was not helping at all. The controller is bad. The best controller in my opinion is either a Gamecube style one or a DS2 or 3 style one. PS3 has better games, a blu-ray player, a nice simple layout and of course a better controller. Overall the PS3 beats the Xbox 360.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I want to dislike the 360, but Dead Rising is too good, and a lot of multiplats (Capcom fighters especially) actually run better on it. I've never actually minded the controller too much, I've always found it comfortable and I'd rather use it than my DualShock3 on PC.

I've actually gotten bored with my PS3, aside from the PS Classics I buy. The exclusives (Aside from Ratchet and Clank, used to love those games on my PS2) don't catch my interest, and like mentioned a lot of multiplats are just better on 360's hardware. At this point, it's become "that thing I play God Hand and SOTN on."

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Oh yeah, I forgot a couple of my unpopular opinions...

1. I think Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is not only good, but great. It's not as good as Kazooie or Tooie, but it's still really enjoyable. Most of the ire it receives reminds me of Federation Force. That is to say, it's a game that was dead on arrival for hurting the feelings of those waiting for a true sequel to their favorite franchise. I understand that, but I still thought the game was tons of fun. I completed it 100%.

2. I have an Xbone and think it's fine. PS4 is probably better, and I'll get one eventually, but I'm looking forward to having fun with Rare Replay, Cuphead, etc. Games with Gold definitely lags way behind PS+ in terms of quality though, jeez. And if Persona 5 weren't also coming to PS3, I'd already own a PS4.

Here are some console based ones: I would not touch an XBOX even if you paid me. The PS4 is great apart from the controller. Battery life is one poor point but that is a small issue compared to the shape. If I ever go back to the PS2 or less regularly the PS3 it takes three hours to me to adapt to it again it is a bad shape.
**** like this has got to stop. Why wouldn't you take a console someone paid you to take? It plays games. Occasionally even a good exclusive or two! This is pretty much flagrant fanboyism. There isn't a console on the planet you couldn't pay me to take. 3DO, Virtual Boy, whatever. They all are at least worth having for the decent game they get here or there.

But then I guess this is an unpopular opinions thread, so bravo for getting me going. :laugh:

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
**** like this has got to stop. Why wouldn't you take a console someone paid you to take? It plays games. Occasionally even a good exclusive or two! This is pretty much flagrant fanboyism. There isn't a console on the planet you couldn't pay me to take. 3DO, Virtual Boy, whatever. They all are at least worth having for the decent game they get here or there.

But then I guess this is an unpopular opinions thread, so bravo for getting me going. :laugh:
This to the max. The console wars is probably the single most ridiculously asinine subject in all of gaming. Who cares what console you play your games on? What matters is that you enjoy games because you genuinely like them, regardless of what platform they're on.

Play games, not consoles.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
This to the max. The console wars is probably the single most ridiculously asinine subject in all of gaming. Who cares what console you play your games on? What matters is that you enjoy games because you genuinely like them, regardless of what platform they're on.

Play games, not consoles.
Totally agree.

I will say this, though: it's kind of unfortunate that video games aren't standardized. Video games are the only art/entertainment form that one can be blocked from consuming by a $400 paywall. Movies and music have very low barriers to entry, and while cable packages can be expensive, television is nevertheless becoming more widespread with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. And even still, at worst, you can pirate TV shows to your computer if you must. Conversely it's basically impossible, even through piracy, to play an Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo exclusive without ponying up the cash for the box they're currently selling.

I mean, that also has its advantages, since this breeds competition for better experiences and whatnot, but it is a shame that there's such a high installed cost to what society is beginning to accept as an art form. Sort of hinders it a bit, you know? And what's more, it's part of what fans the flames of console wars. If people spend that much on a game machine, they really don't want to feel like they made the wrong choice, so they really dig their heels into their console/company of choice.

finalark

SNORLAX
Totally agree.

I will say this, though: it's kind of unfortunate that video games aren't standardized. Video games are the only art/entertainment form that one can be blocked from consuming by a $400 paywall. Movies and music have very low barriers to entry, and while cable packages can be expensive, television is nevertheless becoming more widespread with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. And even still, at worst, you can pirate TV shows to your computer if you must. Conversely it's basically impossible, even through piracy, to play an Xbox, PlayStation, or Nintendo exclusive without ponying up the cash for the box they're currently selling.
I feel like this is why the gaming community is a lot like the comic book community. It's a closed circle that's very hard to get into unless you've been into it all your life. Not only is the entry fee very, very high but there's so damn much of it that I couldn't even begin to imagine how overwhelming the gaming scene is. Like, if you just picked up your first console then there's still a matter of picking out a first game for it. And if you just started then you're going to have no idea what kind of games you like and which ones you don't care for.

Of course, if you wanted to be cheap you could always go the PC gaming route. And I don't mean that in a "dump a million dollars into your PC then play games you don't even like to brag to your friends about how much money you dumped into your PC" typical sense. I mean throw some older games on your cheap college laptop and see what you like. Yeah, you're going to be stuck in the world of fifteen years ago and will have to ask around to see what's worth playing but it's a pretty cheap way into the gaming scene.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
As a person who doesn't read many comics, how is the comic book community hard to get into? Aren't comics cheap?

finalark

SNORLAX
As a person who doesn't read many comics, how is the comic book community hard to get into? Aren't comics cheap?
I used to be really into comics as a kid, let me tell you, comics are not cheap.

Comic book writers like to write their stories so that in order to get all of it you have to buy issues of multiple series. For example, lets say that you're reading Superman. There's a big story arc going on and things are getting pretty interesting. But wait, what's Wonder Woman doing here? Didn't she say she was going to be busy doing stuff with Batman a few issues ago? Better go pick up some Justice League if you wanna know how that went down. Hold on, why's Sinestro trying to romance Supergirl? ****, better go buy some Green Lantern Crops. I think you get the picture.

Fortunately, stories are collected and sold in books called trade paper backs. Which tend to be a good $30+ for some of the smaller ones, and they get really pricey when you get into one of those really big stories that touch damn near every book in a publisher's arsenal.

Although I also meant that comic books are extremely continuity oriented and overwhelming in just how much of it there is that unless you've been into it since you're a kid it can be very intimidating to get into.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I used to be really into comics as a kid, let me tell you, comics are not cheap.

Comic book writers like to write their stories so that in order to get all of it you have to buy issues of multiple series. For example, lets say that you're reading Superman. There's a big story arc going on and things are getting pretty interesting. But wait, what's Wonder Woman doing here? Didn't she say she was going to be busy doing stuff with Batman a few issues ago? Better go pick up some Justice League if you wanna know how that went down. Hold on, why's Sinestro trying to romance Supergirl? ****, better go buy some Green Lantern Crops. I think you get the picture.

Fortunately, stories are collected and sold in books called trade paper backs. Which tend to be a good $30+ for some of the smaller ones, and they get really pricey when you get into one of those really big stories that touch damn near every book in a publisher's arsenal.

Although I also meant that comic books are extremely continuity oriented and overwhelming in just how much of it there is that unless you've been into it since you're a kid it can be very intimidating to get into.
And because of that, there are some series that unintentionally contradict other series, making the side-series considered "non-canon", there are universes within universes with enough lore to make your head spin, and everything even more convoluted than Kingdom Hearts because they've been trying to develop characters and plot arcs for the past 60 years.

That means you have 60 years of lore to go back and learn before you're at the point where avid comic book readers right now, and by the time you finish, you'll have either spent more than you'd be willing to tell your parents about on comic books or traveled around the state trying to find old editions of a certain series so that you can be all caught up, spending more gas money and time for that endeavor than it is worth.

I tried to get into comics, but then all of the universes and sub-universes in the universes and all of that garbage turned me off. I grew up with gaming and have perused it with a large part of my life; it doesn't have as long of a history as comics so it's easier to catch up if you're behind and I've found the video game community to be (generally) more accepting and not blowing me off if I miss one little detail from a series that ended 10 years ago.

finalark

SNORLAX
That means you have 60 years of lore to go back and learn before you're at the point where avid comic book readers right now, and by the time you finish, you'll have either spent more than you'd be willing to tell your parents about on comic books or traveled around the state trying to find old editions of a certain series so that you can be all caught up, spending more gas money and time for that endeavor than it is worth.

I tried to get into comics, but then all of the universes and sub-universes in the universes and all of that garbage turned me off. I grew up with gaming and have perused it with a large part of my life; it doesn't have as long of a history as comics so it's easier to catch up if you're behind and I've found the video game community to be (generally) more accepting and not blowing me off if I miss one little detail from a series that ended 10 years ago.
To be fair, DC and Marvel have been trying to find ways around this for years. DC can't stop rebooting the entire DCU every ten to fifteen years or so. There's actually a bit of a running joke among DC fan that stupid stories don't matter because they'll be non-cannon soon enough. Marvel tried the Ultimate series, which was meant to be a more streamlined version of the main Marvel universe. It was pretty hit and miss. Although a few years ago Marvel started something called Marvel Now where they would be focusing on writing new stories that push the characters forward instead of the continuity-heavy stories that comic books are infamous for. Given that this produced Superior Spider-Man, which was huge breath of fresh air for the (IMO) stagnating Spider-Man mythos I'd say it's working out pretty well.

Honestly, if you want to get into comic books just find a hero you like and pick up whatever the latest issue of his/her current series is. You might be a bit lost, but as you keep reading more and more you'll quickly wrap your head around it. You don't have to know years and years of continuity to enjoy reading about Superman having a badass brawl with Darkseid. Yes, if you want to have an informed opinion then you'll be expected to have read the greats like Killing Joke and Infinity Gauntlet as well as the flops like One More Day and Countdown but that can wait.

Unfortunately, as you said elitism among comic book fans is a major issue. There's some nice people who will gladly point you at good series that are worth your time and won't look down on you for not being completely caught up, but they're often drowned out by the elitist veterans.

EDIT: To bring this back around to video games and to not go too off topic I'll add the the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books actually kick a lot of ass (at least back when I read them, I haven't picked up an issue since 2010 so I'm not sure how they're doing these days) and are well worth a read if you're a fan of the games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom