• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

finalark

SNORLAX
While Luigi is in the shadow of his older brother Mario and deserved the Year of Luigi he's not a neglected Nintendo characters unlike Sky Skipper, all four instructors from the SNES Pilotwings, Sheriff, Lip, and the pilots from Pilotwings 64.
I'm pretty sure Luigi being "neglected" is more of a running joke than it is any kind of opinion anyone actually holds.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure Luigi being "neglected" is more of a running joke than it is any kind of opinion anyone actually holds.
Good point, it's been often treated as a light hearted joke that both the Luigi fans and Nintendo have been on that's just meant as harmless fun.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
- As someone who really enjoys the character and wants to see him in Smash, people really overstate how "popular" King K. Rool is.
To be fair though nobody really knows the scope of K. Rool's popularity.

We do know that he's hugely popular in both the West and Japan which is a huge thing to have for any character.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Mario Kart 8 was a poorly made game and Deluxe only seems to fix one major issue out of several, which I don't find warrants paying full price for. The amount of praise and defense this game gets is unreal, even for a Nintendo game (it's almost Super Metroid or Ocarina of Time levels of worship). It's widely heralded as a "near-perfect game" and I cannot fathom why.

• the only major criticism that people seem to be able to agree on is the removal of proper Battle modes and arenas. This alone shows what a rushed game MK8 was.
  • you can also get some agreement on how godawful the character roster was in MK8 (ten freakin' Koopas, three Marios, three Peaches, yet another new Baby made just to pad out a Mario Kart game, but no spinoff favorites like Diddy Kong or Birdo), but even then, apparently characters "don't matter". In a Mario game. A series renowned for a wide series of characters.
  • Most of the new courses are pretty bland, and many of the Retro tracks are either "meh" choices or ruined by unwarranted changes (like N64 Rainbow Road).
  • The framerate dips to 30fps with 3/4 players, even without CPU racers, due to course models and player models not being optimized well for multiplayer (another sign of MK8 being rushed); this model lag issue also extends to character select menus, where character models often take a long time to load when switching between different characters.
  • The multiplayer menu is designed horrendously, and for Nintendo still trying to encourage local play, this is a huge issue. The race rules menu is far to strict and imposing (you can't select to just do however many dang races you please; you HAVE to select from one of a few numbered options), since it locks you into your character/kart choices, lest you go back to the title screen and through the menus again if you wish to change characters. This is extra annoying if you have 5+ people playing and you want to cycle out players (which I do often). Games like Double Dash didn't punish you for wanting to change characters/karts or restrict how you may race in multiplayer. Why is that taboo here?
  • The core gameplay feels far too simplistic and easy; I'm still upset how Nintendo did away with actual input-based drifting after DS (god forbid any multiplayer Nintendo game allow for any modicum of genuine skill to shine through anymore).
  • Personal taste here, but I hate the rock-jazz fusion soundtrack.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Speaking of unwarranted praise some Wii U games get,
Super Mario 3D World.
That game is white noise to me.
I played it and I cannot remember anything for it sans of it the part where I did the trick to get CrownCrownCrown lives, and I have to wonder if that even counts because I've known that before I even touched the game. That and a cutscene or two.
It is truly the blandest game I have ever played.
Yet apparently I see people citing it as the best Wii U game out there?!
No, not just that, I see people saying it's one of the best games they ever played?!?
That it's contender for being one of the best game of all time?!?

This wasn't just one person, or five people that I saw saying that, I've seen several people over the years make claims like that.
Depending on how you look at things, you could say that SM3DW was the worst game I ever played. I've played games that are objectively worse than that one, but atleast they left an impression on me, something for me to remember, good or bad... meanwhile, that game? I legit felt nothing. It was probably the most "nothing" I felt ever playing a game.
If you are one of those people, shed me some light as to why it's supposedly so good.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Super Mario 3D World.
I played it and I cannot remember anything for it sans of it the part where I did the trick to get CrownCrownCrown lives, and I have to wonder if that even counts because I've known that before I even touched the game. That and a cutscene or two.
No, not just that, I see people saying it's one of the best games they ever played?!?

This wasn't just one person, or five people that I saw saying that, I've seen several people over the years make claims like that.
Depending on how you look at things, you could say that SM3DW was the worst game I ever played. I've played games that are objectively worse than that one, but atleast they left an impression on me, something for me to remember, good or bad... meanwhile, that game? I legit felt nothing. It was probably the most "nothing" I felt ever playing a game.
If you are one of those people, shed me some light as to why it's supposedly so good.
I never played it or owned a Wii U myself, but I never saw anyone ever talk about that game after like the first month or two that it was out. It's honestly been a long time since there has really been a memorable Mario game. The new Mario coming to the Switch looks like it is going to be the first truly great Mario game in a very long time.

finalark

SNORLAX
Super Mario 3D World.

People feel this way about 3D World?

I mean, I knew people liked it but I didn't know they liked it that much.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Apparently they do. I do not see anyone talking about this game without them throwing out what at first would seem like hyperboles, but actually seem to be their actual opinions.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Super Mario 3D World didn't quite work for me either. It was a bit overkill with the "hey look at us we're calling back to 2D Mario games yet again!". Most of the level design potential is wasted on making environments look blocky and "tiled together". This was acceptable on 3DS due to the limitations of that platform, but it feels like such a letdown on WiiU. Sad thing is, with the new bosses and some of the level designs, it probably is still the most creative mainline Mario game in some time.

People feel this way about 3D World?

I mean, I knew people liked it but I didn't know they liked it that much.
Come to think of it, it's not just Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. Nintendo's WiiU library in general gets a lot of this massive praise as if it's the next Dreamcast, with the only widely-agreed stinkers probably being Paper Mario Color Splash and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash... Don't feel like fully fleshing this opinion out right now, but I feel that Splatoon and Super Mario Maker were the only first-party WiiU games that I can describe as "amazing", with most everything else feeling very phoned in and often obvious victims of rushed deadlines. I haven't played Pikmin 3 yet so I can't call that either way for now.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I haven't played Splatoon, but I won't - it doesn't look like it's for me. I'm tired of shooters and I will admit I partly hold some prejudice that it's a Nintendo made shooter. That last bit is completely unfair, but it's just something I kinda hold. I will admit it's not very smart.
Super Mario Maker, though? I actually really appreciate the effort and I admit the game can be funny in stupid ways, but should I even put the generic Mario Maker rant every one has heard in the past? It might be easier to use than your average level editor (either just any Mario-based engine or ROM hack), but it's also comically barebones when compared to those. I also find it baffling the game costs full price, or better yet, more than full price in countries other than the US (It costs upwards of 105 dollars where I live)
I can atleast understand the praise Mario Maker gets, but that doesn't mean I think it's worth it.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Super Mario 3D World is definitely my favorite 3D Mario after 64. But this is just reflection of my opinion of what I always wanted of a 3D Mario game since the very beggining.. I think is a better Mario game (or translation, if you prefer) than any other attempt they made until now. But ''the best game I ever played''? Nah.. I wouldn't even be able to say that for any title out there.. and certainly neither the best game on Wii U (that would be Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, imo).

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
I haven't played Splatoon, but I won't - it doesn't look like it's for me. I'm tired of shooters and I will admit I partly hold some prejudice that it's a Nintendo made shooter. That last bit is completely unfair, but it's just something I kinda hold. I will admit it's not very smart.
Super Mario Maker, though? I actually really appreciate the effort and I admit the game can be funny in stupid ways, but should I even put the generic Mario Maker rant every one has heard in the past? It might be easier to use than your average level editor (either just any Mario-based engine or ROM hack), but it's also comically barebones when compared to those. I also find it baffling the game costs full price, or better yet, more than full price in countries other than the US (It costs upwards of 105 dollars where I live)
I can atleast understand the praise Mario Maker gets, but that doesn't mean I think it's worth it.
Super Mario Maker isn't just a "Mario level maker" in the conventional sense. It has a ridiculous amount of depth and thought put into the game. In most ROM hacking, you'll find that objects don't really interact with each other terribly often. But Super Mario Maker goes out of its way to ensure that all of its objects have functional interplay with each other, on a level that regular 2D Mario games couldn't come close to touching.

Just because it's not Lunar Magic, doesn't mean it's "comically barebones".

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's just that, in my eyes, everything that you can do in SMM, you can also likely do on something like Lunar Magic alongside all the different programs you use to aid in SMW hacking. SMW hacking takes pretty big steps every day.
Also, we have slopes. I find that as a level designer, SMM doesn't really seem to be all that great, which is strange if it's actually trying to make those other fanmade editors obsolete.

finalark

SNORLAX
Come to think of it, it's not just Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World. Nintendo's WiiU library in general gets a lot of this massive praise as if it's the next Dreamcast,
Yeah, I see this a lot. I've even seen people use the phrase "the next Dreamcast" or "the next Gamecube" to describe it. TBH, the Wii U is probably going to have some kind cult following a decade from now but I really hope that following is willing to admit the damn thing is a console of 2D platformers and almost nothing else.

Hell, even 3D World is just 2D Mario with a Z-Axis. Take away the isometric view and its basically another NSMB.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
To be fair the Gamecube wasn't that bad in terms of how it sold. Not nearly as bad as the Dreamcast anyways.

Hell, I don't even think the Wii U was that bad either. Just really crap compared to the other Nintendo consoles (sales wise of course).

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Didn't the Wii U sell, like, 13 million units, though?
The Dreamcast sold 9 million.
The Dreamcast sold almost as much on a market infinitely smaller, back when gaming still wasn't exactly looked up upon, bearing the name of a company with a very dirty name at the time.
The Wii U didn't sell as much while being the successor to one of the biggest entertainment things of all time, bearing the name of a company with fans that'll defend it even when they're wrong.
Only looking at hardware sales numbers, doesn't that mean that relatively speaking, the Wii U was actually a bigger failure than the Dreamcast?
Software wise, the Wii U sold a lot more, atleast.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Yeah, I see this a lot. I've even seen people use the phrase "the next Dreamcast" or "the next Gamecube" to describe it. TBH, the Wii U is probably going to have some kind cult following a decade from now but I really hope that following is willing to admit the damn thing is a console of 2D platformers and almost nothing else.

Hell, even 3D World is just 2D Mario with a Z-Axis. Take away the isometric view and its basically another NSMB.
Another huge difference is that, for better and for worse (hi Sonic Adventure games), SEGA's DC games were either wildly new spins on old classics or entirely new, funky games (some of which defy conventional genre). Most of Nintendo's WiiU games were very par-for-the-course and predictable.

If anything (I hope not though), the Switch is potentially a better contender as Nintendo's own Dreamcast, with the WiiU being their Saturn (another console that garnered a surprising and highly defensive cult following, funnily enough).

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Depending on what you are looking for, the Saturn was actually a really great console. It was really more like a console you could play (for the most part) very superb arcade ports for the time: Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2, Sega Rally and Virtua Cop 1 and 2 are all great and highly addicting arcade games that have been ported very well from their original source. Then there's the myriad of fighting games and JRPGs on the system, alongside all of the many titles it shared with the Playstation (such as Tomb Raider! Though sadly, unlike Tomb Raider, most Saturn ports were kinda gimped...)
From my experience, the Sega Saturn really is kinda like the Wii U. But atleast you don't really see that many Saturn fans claiming whatever is on their system is the best game of all time.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Being someone who didn't own a Wii U, I only ever considered getting one because of Smash 4 , BotW, and a few other titles that looked like fun to me. BotW is coming to the Switch and a Smash 4 port is likely, so that is even less reason for me to get a Wii U at this point. Any Mario games other than SMM looked so bland to me. Nintendo charged $60 for Wind Waker with a bloom effect and a slightly better looking Twilight Princess that somehow runs worse than the GC and Wii version from what I've heard. I was hoping SFZ would be good, but that pretty much ended up being ANOTHER SF64 remake with horrible controls. Xenoblade Chronicles X looked like it was going to be great, but I never heard ANYONE talk about the game after it came out despite it's hype from a lot of Nintendo fans, so it just makes me think that game was probably forgettable. Splatoon never looked that interesting to me and Splatoon 2 still doesn't make me want to care about the series, but that's just me. Smash 4 is a great game, but the step from Brawl to Smash 4 was no where near as big as the step between all the previous games other than 8 player smash on the Wii U version and being portable on 3DS (Which probably only existed because of the Wii U's poor sales in comparison to the far more successful 3DS). In hindsight even a lot of the Wii U games that get a lot of praise either lack something to make them really memorable, or just were not a big enough step ahead from previous games in their series.

This is one is probably going to be REALLY unpopular, but I honestly find Smash 4 harder to take seriously as a fighting game after not playing it for a long time and playing some other fighting games during that time. I still can take it seriously, but I can't help but be a little bothered by the fact that the Smash games are the only fighting games where you can get punished even though you actually landed a hit on the opponent, and how over tuned (NOT OVERPOWERED) some of the DLC characters are. Just imagine any low or mid tier character if they were DLC, and how much better they would be just because they are DLC.

finalark

SNORLAX
Only looking at hardware sales numbers, doesn't that mean that relatively speaking, the Wii U was actually a bigger failure than the Dreamcast?
Given that the DC sold roughly 70% of what the Wii U sold over the course a little under two years, whereas the Wii U had a little over five, yes. Objectively speaking, the Wii U did worse than the Dreamcast. Isn't that something to think about.

Most of Nintendo's WiiU games were very par-for-the-course and predictable.
I feel like the console's poor sales is what made Nintendo play it safe. I don't think Nintendo was willing to risk the money on a bold new take on a preexisting IP if the console wasn't selling to begin with. There were a few exceptions, like Hyrule Warriors or Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which is supposed to be a Fire Emblem game but man could I write an entire book on how mishandled this game was). But for the most part we got SNES games with a gimmick. Yoshi's Island but everything is yarn. Donkey Kong Country but Cranky is playable and everything is cold. Mario World but a level editor.

Its almost like Nintendo was hoping to sell the console on nostalgia. The remasters of Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and the not-remake of Star Fox 64 certainly don't help.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Just because we were talking about the Sega Saturn's popularity, here's the kind of games the Saturn basically is known for withing its fanbase. Not all these are necessarily exclusives, but they're still great games you can play on it:
  • Virtua Fighter Remix
  • Virtua Fighter 2 (maybe Virtua Fighter Kids? It's a weird game but objectively it's just VF2 at a faster pace)
  • NiGHTS into Dreams
  • Virtua Cop
  • Virtua Cop 2
  • The House of the Dead (TERRIBLE port, but atleast it's still a decent game)
  • Sega Rally Championship
  • Sonic Jam
  • Daytona USA (pretty bad port that is still decently fun, actually)
  • Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon 2
  • Need for Speed
  • Fighters Megamix
  • Tomb Raider
  • Metal Slug
and then the grotesque amount of 2D Fighters, shooters and JRPGs the system has... It'd actually be hard to list absolutely everything, here. I'll just say this: Capcom really liked the Saturn and the Dreamcast.

Basically, what you're gonna find in the system: Short, arcade-like games, mostly games from AM2 or 2D games. Apparently, because of the triangle-based polygons of the system, alongside the asynine architecture of the hardware, making 3D games was actually a chore despite the Saturn being very much capable of running 3D games without really breaking a sweat (just look at VF2!), which contributed to the console having a very high amount of 2D fighters and spaceship shooters like it has.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This is one is probably going to be REALLY unpopular, but I honestly find Smash 4 harder to take seriously as a fighting game after not playing it for a long time and playing some other fighting games during that time. I still can take it seriously, but I can't help but be a little bothered by the fact that the Smash games are the only fighting games where you can get punished even though you actually landed a hit on the opponent, and how over tuned (NOT OVERPOWERED) some of the DLC characters are. Just imagine any low or mid tier character if they were DLC, and how much better they would be just because they are DLC.
There are definitely fighters where you're punishable on hit, spacing or not. Easiest one that comes to mind is Ken's hadouken point blank in SFV. As for DLC characters, Arc System Works fighters have been pretty notorious for this. Probably a bigger offender than Smash 4's.
]Tokyo Mirage Sessions (which is supposed to be a Fire Emblem game but man could I write an entire book on how mishandled this game was).
I guess my unpopular opinion is Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a very good game. Lots of talented staff that made a game where people got too hung up on a concept title announced way back. While the argument is that its style alienated some fans of SMT and FE, I thought the game did a strange but neat blend of both ideas.

Not here to fight with anyone on this, but it was a game I really enjoyed. One of the reasons I won't be selling my Wii U.
I'll just say this: Capcom really liked the Saturn and the Dreamcast.
While obviously I'd love to get the chance to play stuff like Panzer Dragoon, one of my interests is to check out the Saturn port for Mega Man 8. We still haven't gotten a port of that game that had all the Saturn features and I won't be surprised if we never will.

finalark

SNORLAX
I guess my unpopular opinion is Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a very good game. Lots of talented staff that made a game where people got too hung up on a concept title announced way back. While the argument is that its style alienated some fans of SMT and FE, I thought the game did a strange but neat blend of both ideas.

Not here to fight with anyone on this, but it was a game I really enjoyed. One of the reasons I won't be selling my Wii U.
I'm not going to say Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a bad game, because frankly speaking I've never played it. But I will say that much of the marketing and direction of it was mishandled. I almost feel like had it been advertised as its own original IP with a few surprise references to both Atlas and Nintendo games in it the poor thing wouldn't have such a bad reputation. The fact that there had been so much silence after the initial teaser only to drop something completely unlike anything anyone was expecting didn't help.

Once we're at a point where retailers are trying to push everything with a Wii U logo on it off their shelves I think I might pick up a copy and give it a chance on its own terms. Many of the themes don't appeal to me (idols, idols, and idols) but you never know.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm not going to say Tokyo Mirage Sessions was a bad game, because frankly speaking I've never played it. But I will say that much of the marketing and direction of it was mishandled. I almost feel like had it been advertised as its own original IP with a few surprise references to both Atlas and Nintendo games in it the poor thing wouldn't have such a bad reputation. The fact that there had been so much silence after the initial teaser only to drop something completely unlike anything anyone was expecting didn't help.

Once we're at a point where retailers are trying to push everything with a Wii U logo on it off their shelves I think I might pick up a copy and give it a chance on its own terms. Many of the themes don't appeal to me (idols, idols, and idols) but you never know.
I definitely agree with marketing not being great. What's already a niche game, Nintendo made some strange extra effort to make some localization changes through extra costs. So far to the point where they had to redo some cg cutscenes along with re-recording different JP dialogue to match the new scripts. The money could've been used for better marketing, imo. I do think not making it its own IP was a good choice. I think it helped more than it did harm.

Idols don't appeal to a lot of people in the west, but they did a really good job on it. It's centralized around it, but it's not for the fluff setting, but rather how the job actually functions and even bad stuff about it. It's a bit toned down in the US version since gravure stuff is removed for one of the chapters.

Definitely try out Atlus's Radiant Historia though if you haven't. Shares quite a bit of the same staff and is more in line with PS1 era of JRPGs.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Not really an opinion but I honestly couldn't wait for the backlash that BoTW will inevitably get in this thread.

Anyway, while I appreciate Sun and Moon removing gyms and badges and replaced them with Island Trials. I honestly would like if that remained as Generation 7's gimmick. I just couldn't imagine another Pokemon game set on a different country using island trials and such.
On a different note, I really like FE:Fates. Its probably my favorite fire emblem game in the series. I've played every game in the series except Gaiden and I still like Fates a lot. Which is odd since I see most veterans and some awakening fans say that Fates is the worst game in the series.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Hm...
I can honestly see Fates being lower down when it comes to the "Top Fire Emblem game", but straight up worst in the series is something I cannot see, especially when you have to compete with Binding Blade and Shadow Dragon for that, two games that are legit not very great games in general really.
Binding Blade is really good when it comes to people who like to think of strategies and it has a cool Stage theme or two, but other than that, it almost seems to scream "amateur indie game" to me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Not really an opinion but I honestly couldn't wait for the backlash that BoTW will inevitably get in this thread.
Lemme use my clairvoyance to guess what a few of the criticisms will be.

- Its too much like Elder Scrolls/The Witcher/some other big-name open ended RPG!
- It has voice acting!
- Breakable weapons are dumb!
- The trials are too much like Portal!
- There's too little direction!
- The game feels lonely without a companion character!
- Its overrated!

I almost want to make bingo cards for it.

Binding Blade and Shadow Dragon for that, two games that are legit not very great games in general really.
Its been said before, but its worth saying again. Shadow Dragon is what happens when a game that hasn't aged well isn't protected by the all-mighty power of nostalgia.

As for Binding Blade, I wouldn't say its terrible its just... bland. Really, really bland.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It's even more ironic when you remember literally only 0.01% of anyone in the west at best has nostalgia for Shadow Dragon.

Binding Blade isn't a terrible game, it's just badly balanced, full of problems, feels very amateur and overall is just so unrefined. Blazing Sword came out a year later and it such a massive improvement from Binding Blade, it's not even funny.
I guess you can "excuse" Binding Blade being not good since it's the first modern Fire Emblem, but that still doesn't make it any better as a game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Shadow Dragon's issue is that it's a remake of the first game that instead of fixing some of the problems, it adds stupid **** on top of looking dull and ugly.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The whole way Shadow Dragon was remade just kind of negatively reminds me of some of the things I've seen a few 'elitists' say:
"Shadow Dragon is crap, it's way too similar to the original and it feels dated"
But then they say stuff like
"New Mistery of the Emblem is crap, they changed way too many things, it's just casual nonsense and it's the reason we have Awakening like we have. Why couldn't they have made it more similar to the original."
It just feels like these people actually just don't want to be pleased and would rather complain. Also, I've also seen Sacred Stones and NMotE gather quite a hatewagon from some of the 'elitists' because Awakening borrows a lot from those games, and apparently, if you like Awakening, you're "not a real Fire Emblem fan".
That kind of mentality is just... sad. Apparently this sort of childish behaviour is doomed to exist with every game.

finalark

SNORLAX
That kind of mentality is just... sad. Apparently this sort of childish behaviour is doomed to exist with every game.
People just don't like it when newbies crash their party. IIRC a lot of people who had gotten into FE via emulation or imports felt similarly when Blazing Sword came out in the west.

Its not just FE either. I remember when WoW was at its height during Wrath of the Lich King veteran players threw around the phrase "Wrath baby" to describe any player who had started in that expansion. Because apparently people who didn't get on the bandwagon between 04-08 didn't deserve to have fun or something.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
People just don't like it when newbies crash their party. IIRC a lot of people who had gotten into FE via emulation or imports felt similarly when Blazing Sword came out in the west.

Its not just FE either. I remember when WoW was at its height during Wrath of the Lich King veteran players threw around the phrase "Wrath baby" to describe any player who had started in that expansion. Because apparently people who didn't get on the bandwagon between 04-08 didn't deserve to have fun or something.
Happens with TF2 as well
First it happened when the game went F2P and everybody that joined between 2010-2013 was just instantly labeled some "ignorant F2P that didn't have to pay for the game like we did" and all of the veterans hated them. Now you have the people coming in from Overwatch, and since you can't make fun of the first wave F2Ps anymore because they're all either veterans too or just dropped the game, people make fun of that new wave instead now. Sad. Because apparently TF2 isn't becoming niche enough now.

Personally I'd be thrilled if a niche series I liked starting making success, but I actually have friends that play games like old school Fire Emblem games for the sole purpose of feeling special due to playing something "not mainstream"... Yeah...

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon was... quite a missed opportunity and strange thing. Not even sure why they decided to go for an FE1 remake after RD. I love its sequel though, but what's done is done.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon was... quite a missed opportunity and strange thing. Not even sure why they decided to go for an FE1 remake after RD. I love its sequel though, but what's done is done.
Guesses are they were out of ideas, but they needed to release some game for the series, and there might've been atleast some demand for a remake.
Even if it's not necessarily a good game, atleast it makes the first game far more accessible than having to play it on an NES.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Guesses are they were out of ideas, but they needed to release some game for the series, and there might've been atleast some demand for a remake.
Even if it's not necessarily a good game, atleast it makes the first game far more accessible than having to play it on an NES.
You're probably right. I don't exactly hate Shadow Dragon tbh. It was just too faithful and unambitious. A game I'll play if I want to take a trip down memory lane for FE1 in general.

Top Bottom