• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm in the camp of Gen 4 being good (with Platinum). I'll admit that Pearl is what gave me a Pokemon fatigue for the series despite liking it, but Platinum fixed a lot and then some for me. Playing through Platinum recently, the slowdowns are still there, but part of it is being held back by not optimizing the hardware properly. I'm actually excited to see how a Gen 4 remake will turn out after Sun/Moon. Just need to hope it doesn't get the ORAS treatment.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Since Pokemon seems to be the subject right now...
I think I have two really unpopular opinions, here: Not only do I frankly outright dislike the fact that every Pokemon generation feels the need to shoehorn in some kind of bad guy team, I also honestly think Rocket and (original) Plasma are the only ones that don't outright suck.
I have to wonder how the hell did we go from making 11 year olds stopping terrorrist attacks in multi-billionaire companies and radio towers to having 11 year olds stopping comic super villains that want to destroy all life on Earth or literally obliterate the entire concept of existance. Not only do the teams feel shoehorned in, they also get more and more ridiculous as the generations go on, which makes it harder to bear, and I honestly think the only reason they are making the enemy teams like this in the first place is because there is some common notion around that children only like completely exaggerated things. The original Team Plasma from BW1 would honestly be pretty good if anyone couldn't see right through their hipocrisy almost as soon as they were introduced (which is why I didn't think BW1 necessarily had a good storyline. It was good for a Pokemon game, but that's not saying much, it's still plenty bad in the grand picture).
I am honestly glad I played Gen 4 through Platinum instead of Diamond or Pearl. Hey, atleast in Gen 4, you had the option to actually pick a good version - you didn't with Gen 6, you were stuck with boring as all bloody hell Kalos with arguably the least amount of postgame content since Gen 1 (and that Gen had its excuses) and a massively patronizing easy storyline that relied on memes and fanservice to try and get people to play through the whole thing. Gen 6 seems like more of a disaster the more I think of it.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
- Neither "Bloodborne" or the "Dark Souls" games are really any good. They are not particularly hard or interesting (bad story, uninspired enemy designs, locations etc).
Could you.. explain how they're not particularly hard? That doesn't make sense lol. They're literally designed to be difficult, and you (presumably) not having issues with the series' trademark difficulty does not make it any less challenging.

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
- Long time without posting .. but I think this is the best place to vent some (minor) discontent I'm feeling right now..

I'm a collector, and primarily a Nintendo fan.. meaning that I get every system of them (and of other companies as well) when I have the chance and the money for it. But, also as an average customer, I enjoy the expectation and excitement for a new console and new games.. And I really feel the same thing about the general concept of the Nintendo Switch! I think it's an amazing idea, very appealing for the mass public, and I still risk to say that it's revolutionary for the handheld market as well.. which will guarantee a really big impact and success in short or long term. But... I'm concerned about the rumours and some confirmations we have until now regarding about ports... Wii U ports, to be more specific..

Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Smash4, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker.. and we just got the confirmation that LEGO City Undercover is coming as well.. without mention that Breath of the Wild, although being released at the same time of the Wii U version, is a port as well.. (and I tell you, I'll buy it for the Wii U.. this title is no system seller for me, since I already have the system which I will play the game..); The premise of ''more people playing the games'' (most defended) is nice on paper.. and I really wish some of those who didn't play these gems, had the opportunity (.. buying a Wii U when they had the chance..), but as a Wii U owner.. the news of all these titles coming to the Switch does nothing to me... Half of them I already have, or I plan to buy them down the road... why I would buy another system just for play these games?

Sure.. I expect games like Smash and Mario Kart to have more content (not much, but some more..), but that's not exciting enough.. they aren't new games. I hope to see Smash 5 and Mario Kart 9 at the end or middle of Switch's lifecicle, because having the same game of the previous system, would be really disappointing for me.. a break of long tradition in the franchises, and fading away the big deal which is having a new entry on them on each new system... Because if not, I'll not be playing the Mario Kart of the Switch... just the Mario Kart of the Wii U.. on the Switch..

And as a customer, I fear being harmed.. I bought all these games, I spent money on them, and I bought a console to play them! and.. principally here on Brazil.. that's a lot of money, much more than most of the countries. How can I feel if my purchases are not valuable anymore?.. I mean, for me, won't change much, since I'll stay with all the titles I bought, and if it was released as an exclusive, it remains an exclusive (like Sonic Lost World being released on PC, ZombiU for the other consoles.. Hyrule Warriors, Mario Maker and Yoshi's Woolly World for the 3DS, etc, etc..), but the re-releases is just like Nintendo mocking everything that I already invested... and I'm certain that are some people feeling that as well (sadly, not enough.. since I only found place to post this in the Unpopular Gaming Opinions)..

By the financial and business standpoint, I see that Nintendo has much more to gain allowing and developing these ports for the new system. If more than mere 13 Million people who bought the Wii U have the interest of having these titles, is more than good for them! They already have a ton of potential demand, and I see them succeding to sell.. But 13 Million, besides being a small scope in an userbase for a console (How much the PS4 has? 40 Million? more? I'm uninformed..), isn't few people.. they seriously will upset them? upset me? I'm not special or anything, and I'm not implying this.. but I'm mad that I put money on something they won't even bother to stay with their word and remain the games on Wii U to be its attractive, and keep them (and the console) worth of your bucks. The GameCube was a commercial failure, and not many games of the library was ported ..If I buy one now, I'll have great games to play only on that system. Same applies for the Dreamcast.. heck, even the Virtual Boy never got ports of its good games!

I really hope the Switch does well, and I'll probably get one after a year or so.. but won't be because of the ports. And if they want to make these games appealing once more.. they have to make a lot of enhancements and more content, at the point of not even being the same games (which.. I don't know what would be worth of development time).

--Oh.. and don't you forget that Pokémon Stars is also coming.. too bad you already have your Pokémon Sun, Cyber... too bad.. (well, this one, to be fair.. they started to develop too late on 3DS life.. but still, is another bummer).

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
Can I have some sauce with that pasta? I find that highly unlikely given that we haven't had a third version in six years.
I believe in Emily Rogers, Eurogamer and Laura Kate Dale. That's all we have, but they're on point on the latest Switch rumours and got almost everything right until now. And just because TPC haven't made a third version for their Pokémon games in recent years, doesn't necessarly means they won't be doing this time.. in fact, I think that doing that, is also a throwback to allude the begining of the series, with the anniversary happening and such.

And even though this doesn't comes to be true, there are already much to stands on my worries.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I find that highly unlikely given that we haven't had a third version in six years.
I think it is likely to get a third version for this Gen, because I think the 3DS is going to be on it's way out when the Switch is released. If it is not a third version then it would have to just be a port of Sun and Moon, but I don't think Nintendo/Game Freak would be that dumb to miss the opportunity to get more sales out of a third version than just porting the games we already have and leaving a lot of people who already got the game on the 3DS just deciding to not buy it.

Spongyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
spongyoshi
3DS FC
3523-2485-5804
Not buying Mario Kart Switch as well if it's just a port with some new extras..
By the way, unpopular opinion time:
I feel like the Mario Party series would be dumb to actually go back to it's roots
Sure, the fanbase would be happy (for some reason) but that would make it a very bland game
In an interview, Hudson Soft made it clear that they don't had any ideas for the star system anymore
If we even get a Mario Party game back to classic gameplay again, it will most-likely be unoriginal and forgettable.
...Unless they find a way to make it unique, NOW I would be interested!
(Also, MP9 is way too underrated. It's such a fun game but it was too severely hated on.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Unpopular Opinion: America just won its' first Counter-Strike since like Counter-Strike 1.6 a long time ago IIRC.

I think this is the most shocking event of 2016 in video games.

Not:
-MvC4 being real in Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite with a full Xbox One, PS4 and WINDOWS RELEASE (YASSSSS)
-The Last Of Us 2 reveal
-Final Fantasy Versus XIII actually coming out and being real and getting a positive reaction
-The Last Guardian going gold
-A new Duke Nukem game after Duke Nukem Forever
-Doom (4) being basically a single-player game
-Watch Dogs getting a sequel that is actually getting a pretty positive reaction
-Jigglypuff never getting buffed in Smash 4 despite being clearly an unplayable character
-Hungrybox's incredible comeback in the EVO 2016 Melee Grand Finals against Armada in Game 5 of Set 1 (or Game 4 of Set 2)
-Pepsi Man becoming a gigantic meme
-Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 being available on PSN on the PS3 and PS4 right now and PC in March 2017
-2016 not having a new Assassins Creed game release
-Armada actually getting a work visa for the US

No. Optic Gaming winning a Counter-Strike major is the most shocking thing.

This hasn't happened in over 10 years.

TEN YEARS!

HOW!?!?!?

Edit: Also, today has been a fantastic day for video game announcements.

PRAISE THE MARVEL GODS!!!

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Star Fox can't work as a series in this day and age.

The series was built to be an arcade shooter that you played multiple times for high scores. Thus they were designed to be short little action stages that take a long time to make.

Such a game being made today would be criticized for its length like Star Fox Zero was (that game had other issues as well, but I've seen that thrown around a lot).

This is probably why Star Fox went on hiatus. The "can't think of anything new" excuse was uncertainty on whether a smaller arcade shooter title would sell and the desire to give it something that would make it seem worthwhile.

I know some people think it just needs to be an open world space shooter but that's not what Star Fox is.

finalark

SNORLAX

The series was built to be an arcade shooter that you played multiple times for high scores. Thus they were designed to be short little action stages that take a long time to make.

Such a game being made today would be criticized for its length like Star Fox Zero was (that game had other issues as well, but I've seen that thrown around a lot).

This is probably why Star Fox went on hiatus. The "can't think of anything new" excuse was uncertainty on whether a smaller arcade shooter title would sell and the desire to give it something that would make it seem worthwhile.

I know some people think it just needs to be an open world space shooter but that's not what Star Fox is.
To be fair, Nintendo tried to evolve the series into more of a single-player adventure game with Adventures and Assault. IMO Assault was a step in the right direction, Namco must have realized that they needed more than just the arcadey space shooting if they wanted to keep the series around. Its a real shame that so many people had so many mixed feelings on it.

Because Nintendo is unwilling to build off of Assault it really feels like the franchise will never move out of 64's shadow.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Its a real shame that so many people had so many mixed feelings on it.
Nintendo is unwilling to build off of Assault
I feel this is exactly why.

I agree Assault was a step in the right direction, but people are so finicky with what they want with Star Fox nowadays I can't tell what the direction should be.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever

It wouldn't work as a $60 title in this market, at least.

I think the pricing was a big failing of SFZ, along with the fact that it was essentially a remake of 64 with ****ty gyro controls.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Star Fox without a heavy focus on multiplayer (offline and online) in this day and age is made to fail. Zero NEEDED online play that has a big map pools, lots of differences among the playable pilots and vehicles, and several game modes, along with modern online gaming features and functionality that is up to snuff.

I don't think solo somewhat linear gameplay is what will win the masses over these days unless it is clean and crisp and has a great presentation (see: Uncharted, despite my previously listed misgivings).

Heck, even Uncharted has some pretty good multiplayer, so Star Fox Zero really had ZERO EXCUSES.

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Here's one that's been on my mind for some time: Nintendo had every right to take down AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), and to remove its nomination from the Video Game Awards. In fact, as understandable as it is to be upset that both things happened, I think it's absolutely embarrassing just how wildly and self-entitled many fans have acted in regards to AM2R's takedown. Nintendo's done a lot to earn critique and mockery in recent years, but defending their IP is not one of those things.

People still talk about these two things, so I feel it's relevant to bring it up now.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Here's one that's been on my mind for some time: Nintendo had every right to take down AM2R (Another Metroid 2 Remake), and to remove its nomination from the Video Game Awards. In fact, as understandable as it is to be upset that both things happened, I think it's absolutely embarrassing just how wildly and self-entitled many fans have acted in regards to AM2R's takedown. Nintendo's done a lot to earn critique and mockery in recent years, but defending their IP is not one of those things.

People still talk about these two things, so I feel it's relevant to bring it up now.
Did Nintendo have full legal rights to take down AM2R? Yes, absolutely.

Does a multi-billion dollar company taking down a non-profit fan game come off as them acting like a big kid stealing candy from little kid? Yes, absolutely.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Did Nintendo have full legal rights to take down AM2R? Yes, absolutely.

Does a multi-billion dollar company taking down a non-profit fan game come off as them acting like a big kid stealing candy from little kid? Yes, absolutely.
Yep, Nintendo were the ones stealing here. Not the (admittedly well-meaning) fans who took a game currently being sold and made an unlicensed free remake.

This isn't bullying. End of story.

(inb4 "but SEGA")

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
It kinda felt like this was a situation of "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
They had the right to do it, but it's not like they need to make their shaky reputation even worse by doing it.

finalark

SNORLAX
Yep, Nintendo were the ones stealing here. Not the (admittedly well-meaning) fans who took a game currently being sold and made an unlicensed free remake.

This isn't bullying. End of story.
I never said Nintendo stole anything. As a matter of fact, I agree with you that they were well within their legal rights to take the game down.

It's still embarrassing that a mutli-billion dollar company felt their neglected IP was so threatened by a fan remake of a game that has aged as well as week-old milk that they just had to take legal action against it. I doubt that they were making so much money from Metroid 2 on the eshop that a better version being available for free would have destroyed their profit margin.

(inb4 "but SEGA")
More like inb4 "but Valve." Remember the time a group of fans remade the first Half-Life and Valve was totally down with that?

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Valve and SEGA are not comparable to Nintendo. Nintendo does not (officially) exist in the world of PC gaming. SEGA and Valve do. Nintendo has their own platforms they wish to promote.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Valve and SEGA are not comparable to Nintendo. Nintendo does not (officially) exist in the world of PC gaming. SEGA and Valve do. Nintendo has their own platforms they wish to promote.
So because two are third party companies... Nintendo doesn't have to act like them??

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
So because two are third party companies... Nintendo doesn't have to act like them??
...Yeah. Pretty much. Nintendo shouldn't be endorsing unofficial remakes on unofficially supported platforms.

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This is relevant to me, as it was brought up again, but...
The hatewagon that Sonic R and Sonic Adventure 2 got is nonsensical.

Sonic R is harder to defend - because yeah, that's not a good game at all - but it's still hated far more than it actually deserves. It's just an incompetently made game that gets old kinda fast, but... it's just that. Incompetent. Gets old fast. Forgettable. People remember the soundtrack because it's unfitting, but that was all the legacy Sonic R had (that and Tails Doil) until some 7-8 years ago when people like Jontron started picking this game apart for cheap gags, and then suddenly Sonic R went from this mediocre forgettable Saturn game to being this ridiculously infamous "horrible" joke game. Look guys, it's not good, but don't act like it's anywhere near close to being one of the worst games of all time.

Sonic Adventure 2 is... I honestly don't even know if I should dive into this, because this is a big rabbit hole nowadays. Up to a few years ago, SA2 used to get fairly universal praise from a lot of people, but a couple people started making videos pointing out how "bad" SA2 is supposed to be, people on the internet can't think for themselves, the snowball grew out of control and now you cannot like this game unironically anymore without someone making fun of you or calling you a Sonic fanboy.
What's supposed to be so bad about the game, anyway? If you say it hasn't aged well, there are a crapton of games that have aged infinitely worse and people still enjoy them. What's wrong with liking this one?
If you say that the non-Sonic/Shadow stages are boring, well yeah, the Knuckles/Rouge stages can drag on for a bit too long, sometimes, and a few of the Tails and Eggman stages get a wee bit repetitive, but most of them are pretty alright. I don't even say this out of nostalgia. I actually used to hate every single one of these stages years ago, but when I played through SA2 a few years ago, I found myself enjoying most of them even if a little bit, at least.
If you say camera, yes, it's bad, again, not gonna defend that, but you need to also remember back to this game's context when it was released: Basically every third person game up until that point had a **** camera. Don't pretend they didn't. I was there, I actually know.

For the people that played SA2 after the hatewagon emerged a few years ago and found yourself disliking the game... I must ask: Did you actually play the game, or did you just go in there to try and validate what other people had previously said about it, and went into it basically wanting it to be bad?

This is the kind of mentality that made games like ET be seen as more infamously bad than what they actually are. At least nowadays people see ET as a bad game with some interesting lore behind it and not much else, and definitely not some kind of "worst game ever". Here's a video on it by the last person in this world you'd expect to be fair.

finalark

SNORLAX
What's supposed to be so bad about the game, anyway? If you say it hasn't aged well, there are a crapton of games that have aged infinitely worse and people still enjoy them. What's wrong with liking this one?
This. This is what always gets me when it comes to Sonic Adventure 2. IMO, SA2 has aged much, much better than people give it credit for. It's just that its a Sonic game, and in this day and age you're supposed to laugh at Sonic. Because of this, people are much more critical towards this game than they are towards other older games that don't hold up that well.

While we're on the note of internet celebrities, The Completionist uploaded a video a while back where he reviewed a bunch of games in one to two sentences. When he got to SA1 and 2 he said something along the lines of, "I think these games are fun, I don't know why everyone hates them so much. Oh wait, yes I do it's because they're Sonic games." This sums up how I feel about this whole thing perfectly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
- Donkey Kong Country as a series should've been the main priority for Nintendo over Mario, as it always had better quality and a lot more to work with in terms of characters and gameplay.
- Mario Kart 8 is not a good game and controls terrible.
- Diddy Kong Racing is superiour to every Mario Kart game except Double Dash!!
- Nintendo has WEIRD priorities and should try to please their fans more often instead of making everything Mario.
- Mario vs Donkey Kong should've never excisted, or at least not like it is now... Pretty disrespectful to both franchises but especially DK.
- I am actually FOR a lot of Wii U titles being ported to Switch, if only for the sole reason I never owned a Wii U and I do plan on getting a Switch. Plus, I wanna play games like Hyrule Warriors, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokken and of course Smash.

D

Deleted member

Donkey Kong Country as a series should've been the main priority for Nintendo over Mario, as it always had better quality and a lot more to work with in terms of characters and gameplay.
Inferior quality or not, Mario is the face of Nintendo and a higher-selling series than DKC, so it at least makes sense that the former is a higher priority.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
- I am actually FOR a lot of Wii U titles being ported to Switch, if only for the sole reason I never owned a Wii U and I do plan on getting a Switch. Plus, I wanna play games like Hyrule Warriors, DKC Tropical Freeze, Pokken and of course Smash.
There are people who have a problem with that? The Wii U didn't sell well and it had a lot of very good games, so it would only make sense if they port the best games from the Wii U to a console that seems like it is going to be a lot more successful.

finalark

SNORLAX
There are people who have a problem with that? The Wii U didn't sell well and it had a lot of very good games, so it would only make sense if they port the best games from the Wii U to a console that seems like it is going to be a lot more successful.
Probably because for the first few years of the PS4's life most of its "big games" were just tuned up ports of PS3 games. Hell, I'm still willing to say that the console tries to sell itself on them. For a lot of us, we'd rather play new games than old ones running on better tech.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I have no problems with ports, as long as it's not an Xbox One/PS4 situation where every other game is a remaster or port.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Part of the issue is the ports possibly being lazy up-scales like the DMC HD Collection a while back or the Ezio Trilogy for Assassin's Creed. Or you could have complete **** shows like Arkham Knight on PC. Rumours don't indicate this though.

Another thing is people thinking Nintendo owe them because they have a Wii U. Newsflash: The ports aren't targeting you. The target is people who don't have the Wii U and the hardcore fans of the games getting ports. That's why, according to rumours and leaks at least, there's more content on the ports, it's just that little incentive make some people buy it (again).

And of course the aforementioned sheer abundance of ports on the the other platforms is another big part of it. It's a new generation so we should be getting new games but instead it's been open season on ports. The apathy towards them is understandable in that regard.

I have no issue with well done ports. I've brought GTA V like three times across each of it's releases. X1/PS4 release saw general improvements all around and PC is because of the mods and custom radio (City Escape playing whilst on a 5 star wanted level is brilliant).

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
This isn't exactly controversial... just unpopular, is all:
Garry's Mod is better as a SP game.
This mostly comes from my priorities when I play GMOD, though. When I boot it up, I always either wanna shoot a bunch of things, pose ragdolls, or both - nothing else. I found out the hard way people are not interested in PVP (which is... quite odd considering how most Sandbox servers have gun addons but PVP is frowned upon in a lot of them - and besides, there's zero balance in gunfights in GMOD anyway) and I don't want to pose ragdolls with strangers.
Since I'm looking for just that, SP gets me covered pretty well.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
For a lot of us, we'd rather play new games than old ones running on better tech.
I don't really mind if old games get ported as long as there is a fair amount of new games as well. I am starting to get tired of seeing ports of older games though, and seeing so many just makes me wish more consoles nowadays had backwards compatibility and we could see full blown remakes for games that deserve and/or need it more often.

Elray

Smash Rookie
I couldn't finish Fire Emblem: Fates. Not that it was too hard or too easy, but I honestly couldn't get into the story or the characters. The supports were bland and uninteresting, and the characters were easily forgettable. I feel like FE: Awakening is a much better game in general.

ERM K

Smash Rookie
I couldn't finish Fire Emblem: Fates. Not that it was too hard or too easy, but I honestly couldn't get into the story or the characters. The supports were bland and uninteresting, and the characters were easily forgettable. I feel like FE: Awakening is a much better game in general.
i know what you mean but i still think its a good game

my mains are::4zss::4marth::4mario:
my secondaries are::4ryu::4dedede:
for fun::4fox::4falcon::4tlink:

learning::4sheik:

Last edited:

ERM K

Smash Rookie
Hate the Mario series? Love the Virtual Boy? Can't stand a new popular title? Share here! It doesn't matter how you feel about something, just as long as it's about gaming (doesn't have to be Nintendo-related).

The previous thread got locked due to people being uncivil, but I was given permission to create a new thread. Although I can't enforce these rules since I'm not a mod, I suggest that you explain your answers when you can, and don't lose your marbles when someone feels different about something (there is a reason as to why those opinions are unpopular).

-----

To start off, I liked Uncharted 2 better than Uncharted 3 (mainly because of story/level design).

finalark

SNORLAX
I really appreciate what Tomb Raider 2013 did to bring an aging franchise back into the limelight, but man do I wish the series hadn't sacrificed its signature exploration and puzzle solving to do so.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
- Mega Man 6 and Mega Man 5 are better DESIGNED games than Mega Man 2.
- Mega Man 2 - Wily Castle Stage 1 music is NOT overrated compared to the other Mega Man music.
- Thunder Beam from Mega Man 1 is more broken than the Metal Blades from Mega Man 2.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
I kind of feel this way about Mega Man 7. I'm not going to commit to saying its better designed than Mega Man 2, entirely on the basis that I haven't touched a Mega Man game in years, but I thought it was a fun game. I not entire sure the MM community decided to point to 7 and say, "Yep, this is the bad one."

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I kind of feel this way about Mega Man 7. I'm not going to commit to saying its better designed than Mega Man 2, entirely on the basis that I haven't touched a Mega Man game in years, but I thought it was a fun game. I not entire sure the MM community decided to point to 7 and say, "Yep, this is the bad one."
MM7 is fun, but had its issues. Movement felt a bit weird, have that in conjunction of zoomed in screen to show off the new sprites (then they zoomed out for MM8 later). Charge shot was fairly weak in this game iirc, so the incentive to charge wasn't as huge imo. I wasn't a huge fan of splitting up the robot master select screen to 4 and 4 without the use of a password. Felt like MM7 and 8 shouldn't have simplified it in such a way. I think Mega Man & Bass did a much better job on it since they did it with split paths which was cool. Plus the weapons in the latter half of MM7 felt kind of weak for me.

With that said I think Mega Man & Bass is a pretty underrated Mega Man game. One of my favorites in the MM Classic series. Can't say the game has the most solid game design though. Some of the bosses in King's stages are bad ideas. The stages also favor Bass a lot since the MM slide has few uses in shortcuts/secrets. Having selectable characters like X4 and having the stage select and shop work the way they do was great. Same goes for having that one stage where you can use boss weapons to gain rewards. Gave a sense of progression like an RPG with all these little things.
- Mega Man 2 - Wily Castle Stage 1 music is NOT overrated compared to the other Mega Man music.
- Thunder Beam from Mega Man 1 is more broken than the Metal Blades from Mega Man 2.
Thunder Beam's amazing with the pause trick. Outside of that, while it's a powerful weapon, it uses up too much weapon energy so you can't use it often. I didn't find Metal Blades broken, just extremely versatile in stages which makes it better than Thunder Beam in my book.

I think MM9 might be my vote for best designed MM Classic game. Not an unpopular opinion though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom