• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What Are Your Unpopular Gaming Opinions? (Ver. 2)

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
This term is an exaggeration of course but I legitimately think bad video games (or bad movies) culture and the ways people complain about them is a case of collective delusion. I’m not saying this to say “[game that’s seen as bad] is actually good and if you disagree that’s mass delusion!” or even that most games seen as bad are actually good. I’m saying that a lot of bad games are talked about in a way that’s really illogical and unfair to them and you get a sense the people making those critiques are biased by wanting to see the game fail.

As an example I’ve genuinely seen people argue that Bubsy 3D deserves extreme scrutiny as a 3D platformer because it released after Super Mario 64 as if the few months between those games would be enough for them to change a game whose entire movement system is different. Or the infamous criticisms of Dark Souls II’s camera controls that almost certainly come from people doing the extremely stupid decision of locking onto a single enemy in a crowd (as pointed out by hbonberguy in his defense of dark souls 2 video). I don’t think people are dumb or anything for having extremely surface level, misguided criticisms of games but it seems to me that it comes from them hearing about a game’s flaws from content creators or reviewers and subconsciously thinking of it as not being worthy of their respect. When someone plays a game they don’t think of as serious they then have very surface level critiques of it and are deluded into latching into bizarre criticisms as fact. God knows that IGN reviewer who jumped over springs and ramps in Sonic Unleashed for some reason probably didn’t treat Sonic as being deserving of his time, and those misguided critiques are repeated in a self reinforcing cycle.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I don’t think people are dumb or anything for having extremely surface level, misguided criticisms of games
I personally say people ARE dumb for having surface-level criticisms. Especially after seeing design goals or artistic decisions like linearity, repetition, slow pacing, difficulty, or large scale be treated as a bad thing time and time again. I consider myself dumb for ever thinking any of these were bad things.

Out of curiosity, what makes people not dumb for having extremely surface level, misguided criticisms?

Top Bottom