• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

nodle

Smash Cadet
Eh, I'm not too fond of arguing from that angle. At this point the burden of proof is now on you to prove the increased balance. I have no opinion on this matter; I don't see anything imbalanced enough in the full toolkits to warrant removing pieces, so I have spent no time comparing the relative balance of the two situations. That being said...
Prove is a strong word. It seems unreasonable for anyone to expect someone to prove something about that which does not yet exist and wouldn't have good metrics for if it did exist. Imagine trying to prove that light-sabers are better than katanas.

Proof is out of my limited reach. I can offer mathematics that proves that the variance in the power level of characters goes down when customs are allowed. However, just as flipping a coin 20 times can result in 20 heads, it remains possible that some custom move is game breaking. As far as I know, no such move has been discovered. We also have individual character analysis suggesting that top tiers benefit far less from customs than mid tier and low tier characters. These analyses are performed in a vacuum though, so may not be reliable indicators of the customs meta.

In short, I can't prove that customs help balance Sm4sh, but we have good reasons to think they do.

Its worth noting that this post isn't really directed at you poptart lord. It is instead directed at people who think it is reasonable to expect PROOF that a customs meta would be more balanced before allowing customs to be used. No such proof is possible until we create a customs meta, so demanding proof before allowing a customs meta to flesh itself out doesn't make much sense.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I think I'm one of few who has gone out of their way to point out that the two metas are distinct and cannot be reasonably compared directly.

That said, it's pro gamers, not gamers in general, who are relatively un-lazy. But that doesn't mean they won't take a shortcut if one exists. Nor does it mean that their un-laziness is directed at all parts of playing. There are still people attending tournaments who haven't unlocked Smashville because it requires entering a single-player mode. I'm too lazy to sit down in training mode and try any combo over and over again, but I cleared both versions' challenge grids.

Complaining about increased move/matchup knowledge requirements is self-preserving laziness. Not wanting to unlock 384 random and duplicatable drops is entirely separate laziness. Only one of them is a valid complaint in a competitive stance, and that only if you (like many, apparently) don't think the additional moves are worth the unlock (or transfer) time.
I'm not lazy because I don't want to spend God knows how much time unlocking and learning something that I think is ugly and stupid. If I liked customs and thought they would add that depth that you keep talking about I would have learned them and memorised them already.

I disagree with your second statement as well. Players are not lazy. LoL, Dota, melee and 2D fighters needs lots of time and match up memorising to be played even at mid level as well. Yet you see millions playing these games in a variance of levels.

People say that customs take too much effort to learn and unlock, and you can look at these statements from one angle and say these people are lazy, but the point that you all would be missing then is that the reason they are lazy about them is solely because they think they're unenjoyable for whatever reason they have.

You can now bring up the ill argument that something being enjoyable or not shouldn't decide whether or not its used in a competition. And I will say that you are wrong. Look at the banned stages in the game, exclude the ones with RNG elements and tell me why any of these are illegal? It is because they are not fun. Whatever seemingly messed up element there is in any sort of stage it can and will be learned and adapted to if the players choose to do so, but we opted to ban them because they are not fun. It's more than a sufficient argument to hate and dislike and want something out. Don't pretend its not.

Last edited:

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Why not split it up into divisions? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We usually have both singles and doubles events at tournaments, how much of a logistical nightmare could it be to further subdivide each event into customs-on and customs-off?

Actually maybe don't answer that.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Why not split it up into divisions? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We usually have both singles and doubles events at tournaments, how much of a logistical nightmare could it be to further subdivide each event into customs-on and customs-off?

Actually maybe don't answer that.
Some places have the setups and logistical capacity to do so. Others don't. Apparently some regions run both and everyone's happy. Others (including mine =/) don't have such choice.

As someone who has gotten at worst a 1:3 console to player ratio at every event I've hosted, I'm a bit biased and think it's easy to work out logistically.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
What I'm noticing here is multiple separate arguments going on, which is actually a really interesting phenomenon.

We have the logistics argument, which basically goes "customs may or may not be cool, but they're such a nightmare to work out for a tournament scene/the grind to get them is so long and tedious that it's honestly not worth it and might have an adverse effect on the community if it were to become the norm."

And we have the "customs are jank/stupid/dumb/ugly and should not be allowed to exist" argument. Which hurts in the same way someone calling Smash 4 braindead and stupid hurts, because Smash 4 with customs is a game I truly, deeply love.

Maybe one of the reasons why this topic has gotten so frustrating is because of this duality of discussion, and for customs backers, having to defend a meta they love on two fronts. And despite the Project and other possible solutions (I proposed one that came at a cost to the variety of customs but was nonetheless easier to do) logistics will always be a hurdle for some people depending on their local scene. Which has me wishing for a fix from Sakurai that would be really easy to do but probably won't come, and has a lot of us jealous of people like @ Raijinken Raijinken who doesn't have that kind of logistics problem in their local scene :p

SpaghettiWeegee

Smash Apprentice
Isn't there some way to transfer custom characters between systems? Why not just put the burden of unlocking custom moves on players? Provided they don't modify stats, that should be fine, right?

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Isn't there some way to transfer custom characters between systems? Why not just put the burden of unlocking custom moves on players? Provided they don't modify stats, that should be fine, right?
Not everybody has a 3DS. Also, it presumably takes up a lot of time to transfer custom sets for every player

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Multiply that by the number of setups and we may have a bit of a problem
Not necessarily, though I'd say per every 10 setups not updated another 3ds OR day is needed for a timely ran tournament with negligible headaches to the TOs.

A custom meta would largely rely on player self-sufficiency I feel like.

Last edited:

nodle

Smash Cadet
Your wish is my command...

The thing about customs is that even if it might be good for the meta, it won't be good for the competitive scene as a whole. Like I said before, the grind of collecting customs would be one of the biggest things keeping people from wanting to play the game competitively. Personally, I have things like school and playing other video games besides Smash and if customs were the meta and I didn't already have the 3DS version since the day it was released (still don't have all the customs, though I never really went out of my way to grind for customs unless it was for characters I used) I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one who would just pass on trying to get into the competitive scene. If all customs were unlocked from the start I would still be against customs, but maybe my mind could be changed much easier than it would with all the grinding involved. I highly doubt I am the only one who thinks this way.

To you guys who are pro customs here: In a world where customs are the meta for this game and you just got the game yesterday already wanting to get into the competitive scene, would you really want to bother grinding for what could end up being either a short or a very long amount of time (thanks to RNG) just to get all the custom moves?
If I just got the game yesterday, not knowing the characters in general is a bigger problem than not knowing the custom moves those characters could potentially be using. I do understand your point though. Nintendo's decisions in regards to customs were terrible, and are a major problem for implimenting customs. Me, I wanted to unlock the customs because unlocking things is fun. I never anticipated being permitted to use them in competition, and it took a good bit of time before my friends were confortable using them. Once they got some practice with them, and took some time to make there own sets, they came around and now agree that customs are cool and worth having.

a lot of people (including me) just won't find playing against certain custom sets fun, even if they can be beaten and are not as unbalanced as some of us say.
Sure, but there will be many more custom sets that are far more entertaining. Ever seen a Kirby take on a Shiek. It never gets out of neutral. Players have to be at the top of their game the whole match. Even Wind kong matches can be cool against Custom Kirby. In that first stock, kirby managed to gimp DK, using neatural B, answered by DK gimping kirby using wind cyclone for the double suicide/kill. That is sweet. This matchup went to double tiebreakers. It's so hype its crazy. The ganandorf matches are awesome as well. Players get forced to play differently around ganandorf. The percentage attrition tactics don't work. You have to respect Ganon, and its cool seeing players try to deal with Ganon's raw power. If you enjoy seeing absurd combos, check out Custom Megaman His neutral B and his Up B combo into just about anything. Megaman can't just depend on them, but they let him become a weird midrange spacing character that I haven't really seen in any other characters. This is just scratching the surface of what is possible in customs.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
So I've been having a discussion about custom moves in Sweden's facebook group for the last week. The first initial reaction to the post I made there was mostly negative, but it appears that most people in Sweden have little to no experience at all with customs. Most people in Stockholm, where we have been using customs for half a year, are fine with customs, but it seems like we're the only scene in the country that has tried them out. Now, the rest of the country feel like they don't want to experiment with customs on any major tournament here as we have quite few of them, but they seem to be okay with having customs as a side event and are willing to enter it as long as they can enter a default tourney as well. This will obviously only happen if we can manage to have both tourneys at the same event. However, I only think that we can start the debate for real when people have actually tried them out thoroughly and therefore I really hope that we can manage to get some customs on events here.

For anyone that supports customs: take the discussion with your TO and community! It's much more important to discuss this with your local scene than with Smashboards. If they refuse to have customs allowed at the main events, at least they can have a customs side event or have half of their weeklies with customs. This debate won't get anywhere unless everyone who's arguing have the experience to back their arguments up.

For the Europe talk, we're not the most notable country here but I'm responsible for the majority of Smash 4 tournaments in Finland which get ~40 participants on average every month. My ruleset has mainly been using customs, 3 stocks and 13 stage FLSS.
Do you have a livestream? I watched some of my friends play in Comeback 2 and I would love to watch more of your tournaments!

the players are either okay with them or actually grown to like them after being "forced" to adapt to customs.
This seems to be true on many occasions. Many people who are against customs have not even tried exploring the customs meta.

WFT was carried by the custom special moves. Jumbo hoops and sweeping saturation are really good. Customs don't buff characters in balanced ways but instead give them powerful specials to rely on. I mean you're right about the apples vs pears comparison but I'd rather have characters be ranked on their fundamentals than how exploitable their customs are.
Customs don't really give characters viable spam buttons as you make it seem like. Even though characters like Wii Fit Trainer become better with their custom specials, they still have to use their options wisely and use mix-ups.

I've been seeing a lot of the "we already have characters that are entirely based around one or two moves, so why not add more?" argument lately. And even though the answer to that question is incredibly simple and obvious and I shouldn't need to explain it, I guess I really have no choice.

If you are asking this, then you have already identified that a lot of people do not like this type of character. Then, what gives you the idea that people are fine with the characters that are like that by default? Simply put; they're not. The difference is that there is nothing we can do about default Quick-Attack and the like (except for complain to Sakurai), but the otherwise mediocre characters that become entirely dependent on spamming OP customs can easily be shut off. Adding in several more characters that people already don't like in the interest of "fairness" and "balance" will solve absolutely nothing and just make existing problems worse.
The concept of special moves is huge in Super Smash Bros. So why isn't it okay if characters rely on them just as much as they rely on their normals?

Those with skill backing it up made it far. "So then what's the point of bothering to allow them?", you ask? Simple: people got to play using their whole character, not just most of their character.
This is exactly what I've been trying to say. It's a part of the game, so why should be remove it without legitimate reasons?

I know this isn't the best possible outcome for a customs meta, but I wonder if their application could be simplified/standardized to a certain degree. Like, every character has 10 slots for custom moves, right? What if they were all the same: For every character there would be 2111, 1211, 1121, 1112, 3111, 1311, 1131, 1113, 2222, and 3333. Or, to decrease the logistics/setup time issue, just 1111/2222/3333? Miis would obviously be the exception, and would either use a "guest miis only but free reign on moves" setup, or we could try to do the size recommendations from the Project on Wii U setups. Having miis made by the Wii Us is important because that way players would be able to alter the special moves on the fly. In a perfect world this means Miis would be identical to how they are now in customs. In addition, since Palutena's moves are all unlocked from the start, we could give her the same luxury.

For the rest of the cast, this would make the barrier to entry from the default meta significantly smaller, as players would only need to worry about one custom move at a time in 8/10 cases. And for a lot of characters, their favored sets would either remain or have to face only some slight alterations. Charizard's 1311, Ike's 2222, Sheik's 1211, Bowser's 1311 etc are all here and accounted for. In the case of my mains, Yoshi's current top 2 sets are 2111 and 3111, and Ganon's are 2121 and 2122, which would be altered into 1121 and 2222. Ike's probably the big winner, as his top custom set IS 2222. Ironically, DK also does well, as his top set is probably 3233, which isn't too far off from 3333.

It adds depth, if not as much as we'd like, and it would eliminate the need to update the Project except for maybe some mii size fluctuations.

This also, oddly enough, addresses one of the arguments against customs, that they make the top tiers more oppressive. Pikachu's Twave - Heavy Bash would be impossible for example, because Twave is neutral 2 and HSB is side special 3. Mario can't use Fastball and Gust cape together, and if he wants to use fastball and scalding fluud, he also has to run shocking cape and super jump. Rosaluma can't use Luma Warp and Shooting Star Bit at the same time, either. The one outlier is Villager, who actually gets all of Garden, EBT, and Timber Counter in his 2222 set, but also would have Liftoff Lloid in that set, and would be stuck with Garden.

I know it isn't optimal, but this might be a way to bring customs back to the main stage where they belong in a form that might be more palatable to the larger community. In addition, if this form of the customs meta becomes widespread, maybe interest would develop for "Free Customs" side events which would give characters free reign on customs. Thoughts?
If this would make people okay with customs, I would be all for it. But the question is: would people actually be more okay with this than allowing all customs? I think the answer is no, because this is still just as troublesome to set up and there are still as many custom moves to learn.

People say that customs take too much effort to learn and unlock, and you can look at these statements from one angle and say these people are lazy, but the point that you all would be missing then is that the reason they are lazy about them is solely because they think they're unenjoyable for whatever reason they have.
Then perhaps people should not use the argument that there is too much to unlock?

Grind notwithstanding, I actually really like customs in theory since one would assume having more options for character movesets would lead to greater creativity and diversity in the metagame, which is what I feel Smash (especially Smash 4) is all about. However, I abhor customs in practice because what inevitably happens is that after maybe a week or so of collective deliberation the community decides on an objective best loadout for customs and most (so, for spectators, effectively all) custom-users opt for that specific loadout. It's boring, dude. It's the same reason I audibly groan at the popularity of Shiek in the metagame-- there's little originality to it, which in my mind is the bread and butter of interesting-to-watch gameplay.

Probably more of a complaint about players than customs in a vacuum, however.

EDIT: This is more of a personal complaint, but I should also point out that customs being banned on For Glory also dampens my spirits about them since I use For Glory as part of my practice regimen due to not really having a nearby local scene apart from a circle of friends who play Smash. I can't practice with customs, nor can I practice against customs, so I'm more comfortable just ignoring them.
We shouldn't let people being unoriginal be a reason to ban customs. Like with everything in this game, some options will just be bad, but there is still room for experimentation and originality. Also, For Glory shouldn't really be a reason either, as the only stages there are omega stages. It shouldn't define which rules we use in tournaments.

The thing about customs is that even if it might be good for the meta, it won't be good for the competitive scene as a whole. Like I said before, the grind of collecting customs would be one of the biggest things keeping people from wanting to play the game competitively. Personally, I have things like school and playing other video games besides Smash and if customs were the meta and I didn't already have the 3DS version since the day it was released (still don't have all the customs, though I never really went out of my way to grind for customs unless it was for characters I used) I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one who would just pass on trying to get into the competitive scene. If all customs were unlocked from the start I would still be against customs, but maybe my mind could be changed much easier than it would with all the grinding involved. I highly doubt I am the only one who thinks this way.

To you guys who are pro customs here: In a world where customs are the meta for this game and you just got the game yesterday already wanting to get into the competitive scene, would you really want to bother grinding for what could end up being either a short or a very long amount of time (thanks to RNG) just to get all the custom moves?

From seeing other people arguing against customs here, a lot of the responses they get make it look like arguing with some of you guys is like arguing with a wall. It isn't like the "status quo" really needs to be changed by customs, since it is already changing on it's own due to players discovering new things about the game and sharing it with others, and patches. My justification is that customs will ultimately stunt the competitive scene's growth and that whether or not customs will make the game more balanced, a lot of people (including me) just won't find playing against certain custom sets fun, even if they can be beaten and are not as unbalanced as some of us say. There are a lot of people who hate to play against or watch Rosalina. Whether or not she is a balanced character, there will be a lot of people don't enjoy playing against her or watching people play her. Outside of for glory I think she is the only character that a very large amount of people that dislike her, with customs on there are a lot more characters that people just don't like to play against or watch. If people find competitive Smash 4 with customs on to not be fun it will definitely effect the growth of the scene. With customs on the competitive scene is far more likely to die from a lack of people supporting than in vanilla.
You don't have to unlock custom moves to get into the competitive scene. Perhaps it is a good idea to unlock them for your main (which doesn't take a long time), but to learn the meta you just have to play against other players who are using them.

The problem with that logic is you think anti-customs cares.
Are customs fun? They could be.
Are customs workable? Of course.
Can the customs meta be good? Obviously.
Do I want to run customs? No, and I play 2122 Small Brawler and I was winning against almost everybody down here for free.
Why? Because I don't want to, and I don't need logic to stick with my opinion.
Then I guess that it would be legitimate if I said that Mewtwo and Sonic should be banned because I don't want them to be legal.

Some characters are helped with moveset usefulness, most of what matters I'd say are hurt. Replacing a useless move with a one-size-fits-all move is just moving it to the opposite side of the spectrum, and pretty clearly worse. Without HSB Pika's other kill options are important, with, they don't matter as much. And again, dealing with a move that fits every situation is a pain. Fighters are based on a core rock-paper-scissors system, so when one move does everything it removes depth.
HSB definitely doesn't work in every situation. In most situations, it does not.

I plan to start attending a weekly local in my area and try to persuade folks that customs don't have cooties. Any suggestions for a specific course of action? I was thinking some labbing in training mode with stuff like Flying Peach Bomber.
To be honest, what I did to persuade my local scene to allow customs was just to ask why they didn't allow customs. The answer was "we just don't". I then said why customs should be allowed and told them that I could transfer movesets from my 3DS, which resulted in them being okay with it. Obviously, not all TOs are as logical, so maybe just having a setup with customs is a good idea. Just make sure that they don't just say "this is jank" and switch to another setup.

My scene just doesn't like customs... it's not about them being controversial, it's about customs not being what we want to play... it's not that hard.
So if you allowed customs, would that mean that no one would use them? In that case it's just fine. But otherwise, you are essentially banning an integral part of the game. If you are banning something that someone wants to use, you need some good reasoning for it.

Well I say that because I don't really enjoy playing against or watching people who win by out janking the opponent with all their downright over powered customs. The age of Diddy is over, bringing a lot more diversity to the meta, but Sakurai said he won't be changing customs in balance patches so things like custom Villager and Donkey Kong's custom up b won't ever get nerfed.
After some practice with and against customs, you realise that they aren't actually OP. At that point, trying to "out jank" someone won't work. If you haven't already, I suggest that you take a look at this.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
First of all you are awesome. In response to your response on my post... yeah, you're probably right. The issues it solves are stuff like not having to update the Project, stuff like Abadango getting a set with a custom move but without meteor trampoline, and the whole thing being a bit more intuitive for newer players and non-custom-familiar players to understand. And there's a bit of in-game precedent going on here, because having customs on in Smash Tour leaves you with 1111/2222/3333 characters.

With everything to unlock and especially with DLC characters, what do you think the odds are of Nintendo releasing an "ultimate SSB4" with everything, including customs and dlc, unlocked? It would ofc become tournament standard and would solve the logistics issue, and setting up a custom set would only take as much time as creating a name and setting controls, which we do all the time. Yes, I'm an idiot who likes wishful thinking almost as much as I like customs, Wuhu, and Yoshi.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
First of all you are awesome.
Thanks! :awesome:
In response to your response on my post... yeah, you're probably right. The issues it solves are stuff like not having to update the Project, stuff like Abadango getting a set with a custom move but without meteor trampoline, and the whole thing being a bit more intuitive for newer players and non-custom-familiar players to understand. And there's a bit of in-game precedent going on here, because having customs on in Smash Tour leaves you with 1111/2222/3333 characters.

With everything to unlock and especially with DLC characters, what do you think the odds are of Nintendo releasing an "ultimate SSB4" with everything, including customs and dlc, unlocked? It would ofc become tournament standard and would solve the logistics issue, and setting up a custom set would only take as much time as creating a name and setting controls, which we do all the time. Yes, I'm an idiot who likes wishful thinking almost as much as I like customs, Wuhu, and Yoshi.
Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. As much as I love Nintendo and the developers, I really don't trust them on things like this. The only way I think this could happen is if we as a community really showed them that we really want it. The problem is, I have no clue how we should accomplish this. I've seriously been thinking about sending signed letters to the developers about how they could fix everything that is flawed with custom moves, but again, I don't know how I would go about doing this.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen. As much as I love Nintendo and the developers, I really don't trust them on things like this. The only way I think this could happen is if we as a community really showed them that we really want it. The problem is, I have no clue how we should accomplish this. I've seriously been thinking about sending signed letters to the developers about how they could fix everything that is flawed with custom moves, but again, I don't know how I would go about doing this.
Yeah, IDK how to do this either. I know Mew2King likes customs and he went to Japan once to see Sakurai, so that happening again might be our best chance but that's really unlikely. Multiple signed letters might do something, even if that something is only making us feel like we're trying to do something. xD But IDK how else to show Sakurai that we're interested in this. He doesn't seem to have noticed the Project or customs being allowed at EVO, maybe in our letters we could point those things out as a sign that we're interested in customs? IDK

edit: if we're actually going to suggest changes to Sakurai to make customs better/more accessible, I've an idea about Miis. What if you could alter their height and weight on the same screen you would use to edit a Mii fighter's equips or moves? It would be on two 5-point scales, one for height and one for width, in which a 1 is min, 2 is 1/4 of the max, 3 is 1/2 or default, 4 is 3/4, and 5 is max. This would allow mii size variance to occur in tournaments without sending over miis from a 3DS or making them on every wii u. For the Project, the Brawlers would be a H1,W1 and H3,W3, and the swordfighters and gunners would be H2,W1. And we'd only have to make two of each in a singles tournament, and allow mii users to edit their miis the same way you would create a custom set, which would take the same amount of time as creating a name and so forth. Just a thought for those signed letters :p

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Sure, but there will be many more custom sets that are far more entertaining. Ever seen a Kirby take on a Shiek. It never gets out of neutral. Players have to be at the top of their game the whole match. Even Wind kong matches can be cool against Custom Kirby. In that first stock, kirby managed to gimp DK, using neatural B, answered by DK gimping kirby using wind cyclone for the double suicide/kill. That is sweet. This matchup went to double tiebreakers. It's so hype its crazy. The ganandorf matches are awesome as well. Players get forced to play differently around ganandorf. The percentage attrition tactics don't work. You have to respect Ganon, and its cool seeing players try to deal with Ganon's raw power. If you enjoy seeing absurd combos, check out Custom Megaman His neutral B and his Up B combo into just about anything. Megaman can't just depend on them, but they let him become a weird midrange spacing character that I haven't really seen in any other characters. This is just scratching the surface of what is possible in customs.
A lot of characters I use (mostly Marth and Captain Falcon) do benefit from customs, but they can't really do anything THIS cool with them as far as I know. Some characters like Ganon might get a huge boost from customs, but others might still end up being lack luster and maybe even worse, since bad MUs might end up just getting worse than they were before and/or get previous MUs that were close to being even or had the advantage in the MU could become a MU where they are at the disadvantage. Not saying this is what will happen with a lot of characters, but I think it is very possible it will happen to some.

Not saying you have to respond to the same post again, but I think the second part of my post did bring up some good points about why customs might not be such a good thing for competitive Smash 4.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
A lot of characters I use (mostly Marth and Captain Falcon) do benefit from customs, but they can't really do anything THIS cool with them as far as I know. Some characters like Ganon might get a huge boost from customs, but others might still end up being lack luster and maybe even worse, since bad MUs might end up just getting worse than they were before and/or get previous MUs that were close to being even or had the advantage in the MU could become a MU where they are at the disadvantage. Not saying this is what will happen with a lot of characters, but I think it is very possible it will happen to some.

Not saying you have to respond to the same post again, but I think the second part of my post did bring up some good points about why customs might not be such a good thing for competitive Smash 4.
Even though some bad matchups may become worse with customs, bad matchups may also become better. It goes in both ways.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Customs don't really give characters viable spam buttons as you make it seem like. Even though characters like Wii Fit Trainer become better with their custom specials, they still have to use their options wisely and use mix-ups.
This doesn't address my argument at all.

Rizen said:
WFT was carried by the custom special moves. Jumbo hoops and sweeping saturation are really good. Customs don't buff characters in balanced ways but instead give them powerful specials to rely on. I mean you're right about the apples vs pears comparison but I'd rather have characters be ranked on their fundamentals than how exploitable their customs are.

Those moves did carry a 'perceived weakest' character to top tier and frankly jumbo hoops are spammable; I've played vs custom wft. I know WFT is probably underrated without customs but the point stands.
Some customs are spammable and that's what the competitive meta will revolve around because in competitive fighting games you use exploits as much as possible rather than relying on good fundamental play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yynXqx03VY

We already tried a big custom tourney Evo and most of the people who attended didn't like it. It's been tested and discarded.
I wish people would stop using the strawman argument that 'anti-custom people don't know how to deal with customs'. They do; top players played in the biggest customs on tournament and still don't like them. Pro players know how customs work at the highest levels of play and that the game will revolve around them.

Also the 'customs are in the game' argument doesn't make any sense. Equipment's in the game and you could argue that "balances characters" too by giving them needed buffs. The Temple stage is in the game and that helps bad characters like Zelda. Metal Smash is a mode in the game. The problem with all these is it adds unnecessary elements, screws up the meta for the whole cast and would make characters rely on exploits rather than skilled playing.
The game starts with customs off and FG doesn't allow customs (I'm not saying FG can be used to show competitive smash but it's what the designers use to rank people, flawed as that is). This is the pure competitive smash game. For fun mode allows items, weird stages etc because it's not competitive. Custom people want to add customs not the other way around. When defending customs you have to take responsibility for making the game more balanced and better for tourneys and they don't.

Spending 80-100 hours unlocking all the custom moves is unreasonable. Only pro custom people ask everyone to do this extra work, which frankly is tedious and mind numbing (What happened to adventure mode Nintendo?). This will hurt tourneys by discouraging new people from getting into competitive smash. Tourney setups also take longer and it's much harder to come by a wii u with all SSB4 customs unlocked.

Customs are fun; I enjoy playing with them but don't think they're good for tournaments. This doesn't stop people from playing friendlies with them.

tl;dr anti-custom people are neither ignorant nor lazy, adding options because 'it's in the game' is a bad arguement.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
This doesn't address my argument at all.

Rizen said:

Those moves did carry a 'perceived weakest' character to top tier and frankly jumbo hoops are spammable; I've played vs custom wft. I know WFT is probably underrated without customs but the point stands.
Some customs are spammable and that's what the competitive meta will revolve around because in competitive fighting games you use exploits as much as possible rather than relying on good fundamental play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yynXqx03VY

We already tried a big custom tourney Evo and most of the people who attended didn't like it. It's been tested and discarded.
I wish people would stop using the strawman argument that 'anti-custom people don't know how to deal with customs'. They do; top players played in the biggest customs on tournament and still don't like them. Pro players know how customs work at the highest levels of play and that the game will revolve around them.

Also the 'customs are in the game' argument doesn't make any sense. Equipment's in the game and you could argue that "balances characters" too by giving them needed buffs. The Temple stage is in the game and that helps bad characters like Zelda. Metal Smash is a mode in the game. The problem with all these is it adds unnecessary elements, screws up the meta for the whole cast and would make characters rely on exploits rather than skilled playing.
The game starts with customs off and FG doesn't allow customs (I'm not saying FG can be used to show competitive smash but it's what the designers use to rank people, flawed as that is). This is the pure competitive smash game. For fun mode allows items, weird stages etc because it's not competitive. Custom people want to add customs not the other way around. When defending customs you have to take responsibility for making the game more balanced and better for tourneys and they don't.

Spending 80-100 hours unlocking all the custom moves is unreasonable. Only pro custom people ask everyone to do this extra work, which frankly is tedious and mind numbing (What happened to adventure mode Nintendo?). This will hurt tourneys by discouraging new people from getting into competitive smash. Tourney setups also take longer and it's much harder to come by a wii u with all SSB4 customs unlocked.

Customs are fun; I enjoy playing with them but don't think they're good for tournaments. This doesn't stop people from playing friendlies with them.

tl;dr anti-custom people are neither ignorant nor lazy, adding options because 'it's in the game' is a bad arguement.
So if it's not about being able to spam a move to win, I really don't see a problem with a character having a good special move or two. The video you linked was two DK players spamming one move though, and neither of them adapted that well. I didn't attend EVO as it's very far away from me, but what source do you have that most people didn't like it? Also, why didn't they like it?

I'm not saying that every anti-custom people are lazy and don't know how to deal with customs. I just know for a fact that many anti-customs people have very little experience in the customs meta.

About things being in the game, my argument is this: Everything that is a part of the game should be allowed in tournaments if it works well competitively. Equipment doesn't work well competitively. Items don't work well competitively. Temple doesn't work well competitively. The difference between Metal Smash and Customization is that Customization only adds to the game while Metal Smash is a completely different mode. Unlocking for 80-100 hours is not unreasonable for a player that is really passionate about the game. Players that are less passionate really don't have to do this just to get into competitive Smash. I'm pretty sure that the top player in my city hasn't unlocked every single custom move and yet he is at the top in the customs on meta. Also, 3DS transfer isn't that bad.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I have, on my 3DS. I really haven't felt the need to do it yet on my Wii U, but I will probably do it in the future just for the sake of it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Customs convinced me to actually main Marth instead of hopping from character to character (not a chance of me maining him in defaults). Having a throw setup into a kill option is wonderful.

But that's just my opinion.

I'll just ask, how many people in this thread have unlocked every custom move?
Both consoles, 100% manually, primarily through Trophy Rush on both systems, and partial unlocks for lazy friends, too. Plus manual entry of the entire moveset project to both systems (I didn't just make it on my 3DS and transfer to the U).

Either way, I've essentially lost interest in default Smash until the next patch/characters hit. And unfortunately, unless the transfer system is overhauled, allowing (or requiring) selection piecemeal at the CSS would actually be a worse system than present, for anyone without the full unlocks.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Customs convinced me to actually main Marth instead of hopping from character to character (not a chance of me maining him in defaults). Having a throw setup into a kill option is wonderful.
I would switch to Sheik (my secondary) in the blink of an eye if customs were banned here. Why would I ever want to play a dull version of my main?

nodle

Smash Cadet
@ Rizen Rizen
All of your arguments have already been addressed.... WFT was fixed by turning on customs. This is one of the good things customs does for the game. They make bad characters better while not significantly boosting good characters. They don't buff everyone equally and its a good thing that they don't. Custom moves aren't, in general, spammable. Many that are accused of being spammable are actually quite easy to punish. This means that the only way someone gets away with spamming the move is if they're opponent doesn't understand the move well enough to punish it. Therefore, when someone says "Customs are jank/spammable/broken" they probably just don't know what they're talking about. We did try customs at EVO. They didn't break the game, and many players were happy to finally get the chance to use all of their character.

Spending 100 hours to unlock all the customs isn't ideal. I would argue that having to unlock things at all isn't ideal, including characters and stages for the same reason. But we don't care that players have to unlock characters and stages. We don't even care that some characters and stages require spending actual money to unlock. Compare that to customs, which get unlocked just by playing the game.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I would switch to Sheik (my secondary) in the blink of an eye if customs were banned here. Why would I ever want to play a dull version of my main?
Without customs, I hop around literally more than half the roster having fun, and the closest I come to top tier is Ness or Captain Falcon. I simply don't have fun playing characters like Sheik (no offense to your choice) who can rely so heavily on so few moves for success, when there are other characters that tax my creativity more. I have fun using a wider variety of moves. Maybe that's why I'm so set on enabling almost triple the amount of special moves.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'll just ask, how many people in this thread have unlocked every custom move?
Unlocked them all on 3dS before WIi U even came out, save for a Zelda Up B that I forgot and Unlocked recently. Unlocked all of them on Wii U last March Using target blast and ganon. 200% worth

Raijinken

Smash Master
What I'm noticing here is multiple separate arguments going on, which is actually a really interesting phenomenon.

We have the logistics argument, which basically goes "customs may or may not be cool, but they're such a nightmare to work out for a tournament scene/the grind to get them is so long and tedious that it's honestly not worth it and might have an adverse effect on the community if it were to become the norm."

And we have the "customs are jank/stupid/dumb/ugly and should not be allowed to exist" argument. Which hurts in the same way someone calling Smash 4 braindead and stupid hurts, because Smash 4 with customs is a game I truly, deeply love.

Maybe one of the reasons why this topic has gotten so frustrating is because of this duality of discussion, and for customs backers, having to defend a meta they love on two fronts. And despite the Project and other possible solutions (I proposed one that came at a cost to the variety of customs but was nonetheless easier to do) logistics will always be a hurdle for some people depending on their local scene. Which has me wishing for a fix from Sakurai that would be really easy to do but probably won't come, and has a lot of us jealous of people like @ Raijinken Raijinken who doesn't have that kind of logistics problem in their local scene :p
It's unfortunate that my "local scene" that I've described isn't the scene. Those are my personally-hosted Smashfests, where people come to play for fun (and periodically I offer a small gift card or to buy supper for the winner). The one other tournament I went to (before moving several hours away) hardly got enough systems to run its Smash 4 event at all. And I was the only attendee (not even competing) who brought a 3DS to unlock the moves (since customs were legal at the time).

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Perhaps this thread is interesting for statistics. Although only it doesn't have that many votes and I see that @ Rizen Rizen has already posted in it.

Without customs, I hop around literally more than half the roster having fun, and the closest I come to top tier is Ness or Captain Falcon. I simply don't have fun playing characters like Sheik (no offense to your choice) who can rely so heavily on so few moves for success, when there are other characters that tax my creativity more. I have fun using a wider variety of moves. Maybe that's why I'm so set on enabling almost triple the amount of special moves.
Well Kirby 3232 is the character I enjoy to play the most out of all of the characters, but I enjoy playing Sheik 1111 more than I enjoy playing Kirby 1111.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
It's unfortunate that my "local scene" that I've described isn't the scene. Those are my personally-hosted Smashfests, where people come to play for fun (and periodically I offer a small gift card or to buy supper for the winner). The one other tournament I went to (before moving several hours away) hardly got enough systems to run its Smash 4 event at all. And I was the only attendee (not even competing) who brought a 3DS to unlock the moves (since customs were legal at the time).
EVEN. MORE. JEALOUS.

and to answer the other question: with customs, I use Yoshi, Ganon, Charizard, and I have a Marth and Ike in the works. Without? Just Yoshi.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Perhaps this thread is interesting for statistics. Although only it doesn't have that many votes and I see that @ Rizen Rizen has already posted in it.

Well Kirby 3232 is the character I enjoy to play the most out of all of the characters, but I enjoy playing Sheik 1111 more than I enjoy playing Kirby 1111.
Oh yea, that thread.
Lack of mutual exclusivity meant I checked literally every box. Hope that didn't skew the poll's intent, since all statements applied to me.

And I can totally understand that. I like most characters more than 1111 Marth (heck, I only run 1123, not even full custom for obvious reasons to any Marcina player).

nodle

Smash Cadet
I love custom Charizard. With and without customs I use Pikachu and Greninja, but I prefer playing them with customs. I'm pretty much mono-pokemon and play all of them to a certain extent. Pikachu/Charizard (w/customs) > greninja > Lucario > charizard (wo/customs) > Jigglypuff > Mewtwo. I've been trying to learn mewtwo for a while now, and I just can't seem to do anything with him.

Rizen

Smash Legend
@ Rizen Rizen
All of your arguments have already been addressed.... WFT was fixed by turning on customs. This is one of the good things customs does for the game. They make bad characters better while not significantly boosting good characters. They don't buff everyone equally and its a good thing that they don't. Custom moves aren't, in general, spammable. Many that are accused of being spammable are actually quite easy to punish. This means that the only way someone gets away with spamming the move is if they're opponent doesn't understand the move well enough to punish it. Therefore, when someone says "Customs are jank/spammable/broken" they probably just don't know what they're talking about. We did try customs at EVO. They didn't break the game, and many players were happy to finally get the chance to use all of their character.

Spending 100 hours to unlock all the customs isn't ideal. I would argue that having to unlock things at all isn't ideal, including characters and stages for the same reason. But we don't care that players have to unlock characters and stages. We don't even care that some characters and stages require spending actual money to unlock. Compare that to customs, which get unlocked just by playing the game.
Most of this isn't true. WFT got powerful exploits that she could use instead of fundamentals, that's not a fix. The buffs she needs are things like the patches give her. Good characters get significant boosts, look at Rosalina, and some bad characters get no boosts like Zelda. They don't buff in needed ways. The spammable customs will dominate the metagame; I already posted a video of top players using DK. These are some of the best players in the world playing official tournaments at the highest level. That wasn't some random friendly. There's proof. You're simply not seeing it. Top players at Evo are against customs for reasons like that DK game. Players can use the character they want anyway regardless of customs, I've seen all sorts of low tiers get results.

IDK how much time you spend a week playing video games but I get maybe 5-10 hours at best. It took me months to unlock every custom.
I'll ask again, how many people here have unlocked every custom move? 1 person answered and the Ganon thing requires a turbo controller.

@ Anyone: name 1 other fighting game that takes 40 hours- half the time it takes to unlock every custom move- to unlock enough to play competitively.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Most of this isn't true. WFT got powerful exploits that she could use instead of fundamentals, that's not a fix. The buffs she needs are things like the patches give her. Good characters get significant boosts, look at Rosalina, and some bad characters get no boosts like Zelda. They don't buff in needed ways. The spammable customs will dominate the metagame; I already posted a video of top players using DK. These are some of the best players in the world playing official tournaments at the highest level. That wasn't some random friendly. There's proof. You're simply not seeing it. Top players at Evo are against customs for reasons like that DK game. Players can use the character they want anyway regardless of customs, I've seen all sorts of low tiers get results.

IDK how much time you spend a week playing video games but I get maybe 5-10 hours at best. It took me months to unlock every custom.
I'll ask again, how many people here have unlocked every custom move? 1 person answered and the Ganon thing requires a turbo controller.

@ Anyone: name 1 other fighting game that takes 40 hours- half the time it takes to unlock every custom move- to unlock enough to play competitively.
So what is it that makes WFT's use of her/his special moves "exploits"? He/she can't efficiently spam special moves nor efficiently fish for them for cheesy kills more than other moves. As far as I know, WFT uses her/his special moves just like regular moves. There are no "exploits" here. WFT still requires a ton of fundamentals.

The DK video is just really lame tbh. I know that they are top players, but it was very obvious that they were just joking around and didn't really try that hard to adapt. It became a contest of who could use Kong Cyclone the most because the players chose to make it that, not because it was the best strategy.

Raijinken

Smash Master

To the first, I responded that I'd done so two and a half times. It took me two weeks of casual play with school and a part time job to unlock every custom, per system.

For the second, Melee takes a darn long time. As a single player, you're looking at 24 game hours in versus mode, plus the time to unlock other characters (though this can be done at the same time), or 1000 vs matches, plus however long it takes someone to beat all 51 events. You also have to go back to All Star Mode for a clear for Battlefield, etc. Probably not 40 hours in this modern age of skill (or with an action replay/whatever), but it's quite a time consuming process for a single player with no ability to circumvent it via money.

There's also no shortcut. Customs have a shortcut that I like to call "The Custom Moveset Project."

And, for the numbers, I spend about three hours a night playing video games, and most of my weekends. That is because it's my main hobby, and I enjoy it. Most of that time is not spent playing Smash.

Last edited:

nodle

Smash Cadet
Most of this isn't true.
I made two basic claims. First, I claimed that customs help to balance the game. Second, I claimed that custom moves are only spammable against players who don't understand them.
Supporting claim 1...
I can offer math that proves that the variance in the power level of characters goes down when customs are allowed. However, just as flipping a coin 20 times can result in 20 heads, it remains possible that some custom move is game breaking. As far as I know, no such move has been discovered. We also have individual character analysis suggesting that top tiers benefit far less from customs than mid tier and low tier characters. These analyses are performed in a vacuum though, so may not be reliable indicators of the customs meta.

In short, I can't prove that customs help balance Sm4sh, but we have good reasons to think they do.
Supporting claim 2...
After some practice with and against customs, you realise that they aren't actually OP. At that point, trying to "out jank" someone won't work. If you haven't already, I suggest that you take a look at this.
Continuing to the rest of your post

WFT got powerful exploits that she could use instead of fundamentals, that's not a fix. The buffs she needs are things like the patches give her. Good characters get significant boosts, look at Rosalina, and some bad characters get no boosts like Zelda. They don't buff in needed ways.
Please explain to me how any of her customs can be considered to be exploits? I don't see it.

The spammable customs will dominate the metagame; I already posted a video of top players using DK. These are some of the best players in the world playing official tournaments at the highest level. That wasn't some random friendly. There's proof. You're simply not seeing it. Top players at Evo are against customs for reasons like that DK game. Players can use the character they want anyway regardless of customs, I've seen all sorts of low tiers get results.
It seems unlikely, but Lets assume you are correct in saying that in the DK mirror, the best strategy is simply to spam UpB forever, rather than adapting to your opponents strategy and coming up with something new. This means that you would have demonstrated that customs make a single matchup less interesting. Customs make many other matchups far more interesting. Every ganon matchup becomes interesting. Kirby gets much needed tools and the Kirby-DK matchups are just plain nuts to watch.

I don't know about you, but it took me months to become anything resembling good at this game. I'm still learning today. If I played myself from even a month ago, it wouldn't be a fair match. If you want to play a game competitively, you have to play it alot. Experience matters.

I'll ask again, how many people here have unlocked every custom move?
I have. So far, everyone who has responded to your question has responded in the affirmative. You yourself have every custom move unlocked.
I don't play other fighting games.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion

first melee has downright stupid unlock requirement for FD and all characters.
next your entire DK point was proven false by evo. no DK in top 32. not even DK will made it. with a "broken, spamable custom move"your words. That match happened ONCE and it only happened as such because neither player knew the matchup.
Honesty heres the truth about characters like zelda or samus:they need to be basically remade to be good period. zelda in particular needs a moveset overhaul.
There is no custom move as spamable or abusable as shiek fair, luigi tornado, or zss boost kick. You are jumping to a large conclusion of custom moves dominating a scene when they failed to win evo or even most custom on tournaments, that honor remains with shiek. default shiek.
there are a multitude of strategies to unlock custom moves. i used the equipment on ganon and ran through crazy orders a bunch.
And tournment data and results dont suggest players can pick whatever character and succeed. ike, robin, marth, and falcon all have recived major buffs but havent increased in the national spotlight much if at all under default.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I'm not sure we should really keep talking about how long it takes to unlock customs, since some people might not take that long to unlock them while others might take a long time to do it. I still think the grind is a very big problem, because of points I have already made previously in other posts. Not everyone is going to go out of their way to buy a turbo controller to unlock customs moves that they may or may not like being the meta, and not everyone has a 3DS to transfer customs.

The biggest problem with customs (yes even bigger than the grind) is that even if customs make the game more balanced, a lot of people just won't have fun with customs on in competitive, win or lose. This problem WILL keep people from wanting to join the competitive scene and it WILL make some people quit competitive Smash 4 right away or over time.

blackghost

Smash Champion
The biggest problem with customs (yes even bigger than the grind) is that even if customs make the game more balanced, a lot of people just won't have fun with customs on in competitive, win or lose. This problem WILL keep people from wanting to join the competitive scene and it WILL make some people quit competitive Smash 4 right away or over time.
When does balance equal less fun? you are gonna need to explain that

Top Bottom