• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your opinions on Customs Post-Evo 2015?

Have your opinions changed?

• Total voters

Raijinken

Smash Master
first melee has downright stupid unlock requirement for FD and all characters.
next your entire DK point was proven false by evo. no DK in top 32. not even DK will made it. with a "broken, spamable custom move"your words. That match happened ONCE and it only happened as such because neither player knew the matchup.
Honesty heres the truth about characters like zelda or samus:they need to be basically remade to be good period. zelda in particular needs a moveset overhaul.
There is no custom move as spamable or abusable as shiek fair, luigi tornado, or zss boost kick. You are jumping to a large conclusion of custom moves dominating a scene when they failed to win evo or even most custom on tournaments, that honor remains with shiek. default shiek.
there are a multitude of strategies to unlock custom moves. i used the equipment on ganon and ran through crazy orders a bunch.
And tournment data and results dont suggest players can pick whatever character and succeed. ike, robin, marth, and falcon all have recived major buffs but havent increased in the national spotlight much if at all under default.
Robin, like Zelda, tends to lose both metas because his buffs (and specials) all fail to really solve his issue of having zero neutral game. There is only so much that buffs can do about a character's standing when their reward isn't good enough to capitalize on a bad neutral. DK and Zamus don't have great neutral games, but take stocks from a grab around 50. The Checkmate (Robin's Hoohah-oid) won't kill even Kirby until 88% in training mode (no rage, level 9 CPU-type DI), and that is generally considered one of the best tools he's ever had.

Ultimately, normals are more important in general, but specials often become niche case tricks that result in a spacing advantage, kill, or extra damage.

I'm not sure we should really keep talking about how long it takes to unlock customs, since some people might not take that long to unlock them while others might take a long time to do it. I still think the grind is a very big problem, because of points I have already made previously in other posts. Not everyone is going to go out of their way to buy a turbo controller to unlock customs moves that they may or may not like being the meta, and not everyone has a 3DS to transfer customs.

The biggest problem with customs (yes even bigger than the grind) is that even if customs make the game more balanced, a lot of people just won't have fun with customs on in competitive, win or lose. This problem WILL keep people from wanting to join the competitive scene and it WILL make some people quit competitive Smash 4 right away or over time.
I would feel fairly comfortable wagering that any tournament scene of relevant size has at least ONE person with an unlocked 3DS. Especially considering that the 3DS version seems to still be the more widely owned version.

Either way, the fun argument works both ways. Some people only like one meta. I'm to the point where, like I said above, I'm completely disinterested in Customs Off until patches shake up the existing meta. On the other hand, I'm constantly learning new things in customs, and that, to me, is fun.

When does balance equal less fun? you are gonna need to explain that
You might be surprised and disappointed in how many people only have fun when they're winning, and how many people don't care about balance if they use the best options. Heck, M2K tweeted recently that he likes Brawl with Metaknight as much as Smash 4, but puts Brawl minus Metaknight at the bottom of his list of Smash games.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I didnt use a turbo controller. I got a turbo adapter that I used with my wii classic controller. Best five bucks I ever spent.

nodle

Smash Cadet
How do we feel about 1111/2222/3333 only?
It has all the problems of requiring every custom to be unlocked and still forces us to play with depowered characters. The only thing it makes slightly easier is setting up consoles for tournaments because its fewer moves to transfer.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Oh my goodness....it actually hurts reading this.....You know what would be the most balanced fighting game ever? A fighting game where there is only one character and one stage. Would you play that game?
I quite enjoy Checkers actually. Though sarcasm aside, if that symmetrical fighter had all of an interesting concept/portrayal, executional difficulty within my abilities, and an interesting amount of depth and choice in this single character, and was available on a system I own for a reasonable price? Absolutely.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I quite enjoy Checkers actually. Though sarcasm aside, if that symmetrical fighter had all of an interesting concept/portrayal, executional difficulty within my abilities, and an interesting amount of depth and choice in this single character, and was available on a system I own for a reasonable price? Absolutely.
Yeah I guess if it was like the way you describe maybe I would even play it, but I was kind of thinking more like a game that really has no tech to learn or anything, you just have to be good enough at the basics.

Anyways things are getting a little off topic now, again people are just kind of ignoring my post where I was trying to bring up a point against customs (maybe I should wait longer for people to respond to it, but I know most of you saw it).

Raijinken

Smash Master
Yeah I guess if it was like the way you describe maybe I would even play it, but I was kind of thinking more like a game that really has no tech to learn or anything, you just have to be good enough at the basics.

Anyways things are getting a little off topic now, again people are just kind of ignoring my post where I was trying to bring up a point against customs (maybe I should wait longer for people to respond to it, but I know most of you saw it).
Are you talking about the post about how some people just don't enjoy the customs on meta? Or a different one?

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Are you talking about the post about how some people just don't enjoy the customs on meta? Or a different one?
Well yeah it is the first one, but it is more about how it is bad for the competitive scene as a whole. I already said that it is bad for the scene before that, but everyone just kind of ignored that.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Well yeah it is the first one, but it is more about how it is bad for the competitive scene as a whole. I already said that it is bad for the scene before that, but everyone just kind of ignored that.
Quite simply, I don't believe that statement is justified or anything near accurate. I apologize for not saying so sooner, but I don't think such a claim to be anything near true or relevant.
This post?
Unlocking customs is a huge pain, so that is one thing that is probably going to keep customs from becoming the new meta. Sure a lot of people will probably have every custom in the game at some point, if they already don't have them all, but if someone decides to buy Smash 4 now and get into competitive they would have to go through the process of unlocking all those customs. The other big problem about customs is that there is way too much cheese. Playing against things like custom Villager and all those windbox customs that almost every character has is just not fun. The only way that we could avoid that is if they ban specific customs, but a lot of people are against the idea of banning certain moves and it would probably be a pain to have to remember exactly which customs are allowed and which aren't. I know that "fun" isn't exactly the most important thing when it comes to high level competition, but if a competitive game isn't fun enough it won't attract as many new people to the scene and could lead to the death of the game. Personally, I wouldn't really even bother continuing playing this game competitively if every tournament out there is using customs.
Or this one?
The thing about customs is that even if it might be good for the meta, it won't be good for the competitive scene as a whole. Like I said before, the grind of collecting customs would be one of the biggest things keeping people from wanting to play the game competitively. Personally, I have things like school and playing other video games besides Smash and if customs were the meta and I didn't already have the 3DS version since the day it was released (still don't have all the customs, though I never really went out of my way to grind for customs unless it was for characters I used) I am pretty sure I wouldn't be the only one who would just pass on trying to get into the competitive scene. If all customs were unlocked from the start I would still be against customs, but maybe my mind could be changed much easier than it would with all the grinding involved. I highly doubt I am the only one who thinks this way.

To you guys who are pro customs here: In a world where customs are the meta for this game and you just got the game yesterday already wanting to get into the competitive scene, would you really want to bother grinding for what could end up being either a short or a very long amount of time (thanks to RNG) just to get all the custom moves?

From seeing other people arguing against customs here, a lot of the responses they get make it look like arguing with some of you guys is like arguing with a wall. It isn't like the "status quo" really needs to be changed by customs, since it is already changing on it's own due to players discovering new things about the game and sharing it with others, and patches. My justification is that customs will ultimately stunt the competitive scene's growth and that whether or not customs will make the game more balanced, a lot of people (including me) just won't find playing against certain custom sets fun, even if they can be beaten and are not as unbalanced as some of us say. There are a lot of people who hate to play against or watch Rosalina. Whether or not she is a balanced character, there will be a lot of people don't enjoy playing against her or watching people play her. Outside of for glory I think she is the only character that a very large amount of people that dislike her, with customs on there are a lot more characters that people just don't like to play against or watch. If enough people find competitive Smash 4 with customs on to not be fun it will definitely effect the growth of the scene. With customs on the competitive scene is far more likely to die from a lack of people supporting than in vanilla.
The point about the game being fun is subjective, and I don't think I need to restate that I find everything about the customs on meta more fun than off. Personally, I think the appeal of extra viability for more characters (if not all, depending on how patches and things go in the longer run), as well as the basic extra variety and choice offered, would outweigh the frustration/unfun people have with windboxes or tripping (both components of defaults, I add yet again). For every friend I have in real life who refuses to use customs or thinks they're broken, I have at least one other who thinks the game is more interesting and enjoyable with them on.

Now for the grind:
The grind sucks. No doubt about it, only a completionist stands a chance of actually enjoying the process of unlocking all the customs. I'm a completionist and eventually told a friend of mine that I'd, at most, unlock him a character worth of customs every now and then (I got him through about half the roster and then graduated and moved away). It's just a boring process.

But, I'm not convinced this sort of grind is a competitive deterrent, for a few reasons.

1) On the larger scale, especially given the current logistical implementation (moveset project), most players do not have to go through the grind. Of my group, I'm the only person who has unlocked all customs on either system, but between our play sessions and set transfers, they've all had plenty of practice with and against various sets, including non-project sets. I find it hard to believe that a scene would be so self-hostile as to deliberately deny a player the chance to transfer moves to their system (though I could see the struggle if a scene had several players whose sole system was the 3DS and nobody with a U had repeated the grind), and I don't think the scenario of a newbie training in their secret non-unlocked dojo and showing up at a major tournament as a dominant force is realistic in either a customs on or customs off meta.

2) About fun in the second post. This is a problem that essentially all competitive games face. I will again draw parallel to Dota, though not for the previously used reasons. People hate Dota (and League). They perceive imbalanced heroes, imbalanced strategies, silly decisions by the developers, matchmaking, lack of region lock, surrender, lack of surrender, whatever. They don't like it, and find those things to be un-fun. Some people quit, others contribute to the fact that these widely-hated games (in one aspect or another) are some of the most-played games on the planet. People like that sort of challenge, and especially if the prize is big enough (see Dota's International which sets a new esports prize pool record every year), people will play something they enjoy less simply for the sake of competing in it. Smash as a series is no different. Melee is hard, and its technical difficulty and low top-end variety turn numerous players off from it competitively, myself included. But those same things draw more and more players to it by the year.

I could see point 1 getting shut down by the one thing most customs players dream of: piecemeal selection upon character select. If that dream patch happens but requires customs to be unlocked on the system (and transfers don't actually result in an unlock), I would completely agree with Customs being logistically infeasible and slain by grind. I hope it doesn't happen, and even if it does, I'll continue to enjoy playing customs with my friends on my individual console (how most of my play happens anyway).

But in the current state of the game, I just can't see customs killing the game's competitive future. There are a lot of things I'd expect to kill it sooner, not the least of which would be any potentially critical bug or balance mistake coinciding with the last patch for the game.

nodle

Smash Cadet
Responding again... (I swear I'm trying)

My justification is that customs will ultimately stunt the competitive scene's growth and that whether or not customs will make the game more balanced, a lot of people (including me) just won't find playing against certain custom sets fun, even if they can be beaten and are not as unbalanced as some of us say.
There are plenty of matches in the customs off game that I personally don't think are interesting. It hasn't pushed me out of the game because there are far more matches that I think are interesting. Similarly, just because some customs matches are perceived as boring and unfun, others are very entertaining. I already provided multiple examples of this. In general, I find diversity in a game to be interesting. I want to see many different matchups. Customs dramatically increase the number of theoretical matchups and seem to increase the number of S tier matchups as well. Playing a game means understanding that the game isn't perfect. This is true regardless of whether or not customs are on and is something we all need to deal with.

As is, there are many people, my self included, with little interest in playing in tournaments with depowered characters. I want to use all of what my character has available, not the portion that happens to be 1111.

There are a lot of people who hate to play against or watch Rosalina. Whether or not she is a balanced character, there will be a lot of people don't enjoy playing against her or watching people play her. Outside of for glory I think she is the only character that a very large amount of people that dislike her, with customs on there are a lot more characters that people just don't like to play against or watch.
I don't think this claim is actually true. Or at the very least, it is a claim that can only be considered true for some portion of smash players. We don't have any evidence to suggest that it is true of smash players in general.

In any case the counter to your argument is obvious. You claim that customs can create more matchups that players don't like. You admit that Roslina is a character that many people don't like. You suggest that customs shouldn't be allowed to be used becasue there will be matchups players don't like, but you seem fine with allowing Roslina to be used. This is a logical inconsistency indicating that your argument is invalid.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Responding again... (I swear I'm trying)

There are plenty of matches in the customs off game that I personally don't think are interesting. It hasn't pushed me out of the game because there are far more matches that I think are interesting. Similarly, just because some customs matches are perceived as boring and unfun, others are very entertaining. I already provided multiple examples of this. In general, I find diversity in a game to be interesting. I want to see many different matchups. Customs dramatically increase the number of theoretical matchups and seem to increase the number of S tier matchups as well. Playing a game means understanding that the game isn't perfect. This is true regardless of whether or not customs are on and is something we all need to deal with.

As is, there are many people, my self included, with little interest in playing in tournaments with depowered characters. I want to use all of what my character has available, not the portion that happens to be 1111.

I don't think this claim is actually true. Or at the very least, it is a claim that can only be considered true for some portion of smash players. We don't have any evidence to suggest that it is true of smash players in general.

In any case the counter to your argument is obvious. You claim that customs can create more matchups that players don't like. You admit that Roslina is a character that many people don't like. You suggest that customs shouldn't be allowed to be used becasue there will be matchups players don't like, but you seem fine with allowing Roslina to be used. This is a logical inconsistency indicating that your argument is invalid.
I mean, Dabuz has changed his tag to "Sorry Stream!" before. People just don't like campy play.

It's not that it's logically inconsistent, it's that it's subjective, and while it's fine to be subjective, it's not reasonable to make a sweeping statement based on it. NickRiddle can dislike customs as much as he likes without backing up his argument, and that's fine, I'll dislike Olimar and Sheik and Diddy as much as I like without backing up mine. But the amount of subjectivity that can go into standardized rulesets has to be minimal. By all means, for locals, the TO should discourage things his/her players dislike. But when standardizing a ruleset, the player's preferences must take second place to more objective measures. Case in point, many of these pro players who vocally dislike customs still entered tournaments and played against or used customs.

If we ran numerous consecutive large-scale events (per patch) and the overwhelming majority (say, 95% or better) didn't use customs and those who did failed to perform with them, then a case could be made for saving time by cutting an unpopular system (I'm inclined to say Xanadu did that with either Skyworld or Lylat in Project M a while back, though I could be wrong). But right now, we don't have that kind of data. We've got one major, and a string of regular locals/regionals where people often avoided practicing with them precisely because their future was unsure. I don't think that is sufficient to prove customs to be either the problem nor irrelevant.

Like kyokoro_pamuyo says often. Nothing bad happened, so now we're dropping them.

Doesn't make sense.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Man you really don't understand what I am trying to say do you? Yes, I am fine with Rosalina being allowed even though a lot of people hate her, but adding more things that the majority won't like with customs is not really a smart decision to make. There will be a ton of people who will enjoy competitive a lot less with customs on, because 40% of the characters in the game will have a custom set everyone uses that nobody likes to play against, win or not. Please don't try to tell me that the majority not enjoying customs won't effect the competitive scene. You tell me the counter to my argument is obvious, but you fail to counter the point I was even trying to make and just tell me that my argument is invalid because you think I was contradicting myself even though I never did.

Adding an X amount of different MUs for a match between two characters is not a good thing to do in a game with 50+ characters. It will take far too long to learn every single possible MU just for the character you use because you would basically be multiplying the amount of MUs for every character combined by the amount of possible combinations of custom moves. Let me try and do the math.....52 characters x 52 MUs for a single character = 2704 total MUs for all non-DLC characters, 2708 with the current amount of DLC characters. 2704 total MUs for non-DLC characters x 10 possible custom sets for 1 character = 27040 total MUs for all non-DLC characters. This is definitely a case of more not always being better. You would have to be extremely hardcore into this game to want to learn all this just for this one game.

@ Raijinken Raijinken The post I was talking about was this one:

I'm not sure we should really keep talking about how long it takes to unlock customs, since some people might not take that long to unlock them while others might take a long time to do it. I still think the grind is a very big problem, because of points I have already made previously in other posts. Not everyone is going to go out of their way to buy a turbo controller to unlock customs moves that they may or may not like being the meta, and not everyone has a 3DS to transfer customs.

The biggest problem with customs (yes even bigger than the grind) is that even if customs make the game more balanced, a lot of people just won't have fun with customs on in competitive, win or lose. This problem WILL keep people from wanting to join the competitive scene and it WILL make some people quit competitive Smash 4 right away or over time.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Man you really don't understand what I am trying to say do you? Yes, I am fine with Rosalina being allowed even though a lot of people hate her, but adding more things that the majority won't like with customs is not really a smart decision to make. There will be a ton of people who will enjoy competitive a lot less with customs on, because 40% of the characters in the game will have a custom set everyone uses that nobody likes to play against, win or not. Please don't try to tell me that the majority not enjoying customs won't effect the competitive scene. You tell me the counter to my argument is obvious, but you fail to counter the point I was even trying to make and just tell me that my argument is invalid because you think I was contradicting myself even though I never did.

Adding an X amount of different MUs for a match between two characters is not a good thing to do in a game with 50+ characters. It will take far too long to learn every single possible MU just for the character you use because you would basically be multiplying the amount of MUs for every character combined by the amount of possible combinations of custom moves. Let me try and do the math.....52 characters x 52 MUs for a single character = 2704 total MUs for all non-DLC characters, 2708 with the current amount of DLC characters. 2704 total MUs for non-DLC characters x 10 possible custom sets for 1 character = 27040 total MUs for all non-DLC characters. This is definitely a case of more not always being better. You would have to be extremely hardcore into this game to want to learn all this just for this one game.

I see. I believe my previous post answered that, but to restate: I don't think we can currently conclude, from anything more than scattered opinion, whether, with all else even, people find customs or non-customs to be more fun. I, personally, am convinced that many people find them more fun than default-only. You are clearly not one of those people, and you probably know many that share your opinion. I respect that, but while it's currently a matter of life or death for my enjoyment of the game, I'm set to support the ruleset that makes the game more fun for me and many others I know and talk with. I probably wouldn't push so hard if the stakes weren't so high, but that's how I feel about it.

Unrelated to that particular subject, most matchup details will not change due to customs. Numerous characters and players don't run customs even with the option, not all customs are used equally, etc, from a practical stance.
And for that matter, nobody knows every matchup to the fullest in Melee even (I wouldn't know for Smash 64, seems feasible but still not necessary for good performance). Part of the game is that, once a matchup is learned to a large extent, only slight changes need to happen mentally to compensate for a change, whether that change is a balance patch or a different move. There are 81 (last I heard, I don't math much these days) possible moveset combinations for any given non-DLC character. But that isn't 81 unique characters to learn the matchup for. That's 81 characters that are about 80% identical by move count. The differences between, say, Pit and Dark Pit are comparable to the differences in many customs, but most of what you know from fighting one will be relevant to fighting the other (Dark Pit won't kill you vertically with Electroshock Arm, and his arrow can't turn much at all).

Custom versions of Mario, DK, Marth, doesn't matter, the knowledge jump is similarly small. If I'm running Iai Counter, know that if you get countered during your gimp, you're going toward the blast line instead of the stage. If I'm running Hyper Monado Arts, know that I am lighter than Jigglypuff when in Smash mode and that almost nothing is safe on hit if I'm in Buster. If I'm running Super Speed, know that I cannot reflect projectiles and any projectile with hitstun will cancel the run. If I'm running Helicopter Kick, the safest place to DI to is above me, not away from me. If I'm running Heavy Skull Bash, focus on your spacing so I don't get a strong punish. If I'm running Jumbo Hoops, knock me low and intercept my unprotected head during recovery.

Lastly, just as with most other matchup details, a player will typically only be concerned with their own character. If I played only Marth, no amount of custom unlocking for other characters would benefit me in a major setting, as I can't practice without a proper opponent. Missing that opponent, the best thing I can do is learn to adapt on the fly, do my research, and learn my own character and options against constants - character weight (bar Shulk), floatiness, air speed, DI options, quick normals, and the like.

nodle

Smash Cadet
@ FallenHero FallenHero

My apologies. You are concerned that because players don't enjoy customs, people will be less likely to play smash competitively. This is a valid concern, but we don't have evidence to suggest that its true. Every pole I've seen in regards to customs shows that customs are generally thought of positively. The pole in this very thread suggest that most people support customs. Your point also implies an obvious counter argument.

Aren't you concerned that by turning customs off, people will be less likely to play smash competitively because they like customs?

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
The problem with that logic is you think anti-customs cares.
Are customs fun? They could be.
Are customs workable? Of course.
Can the customs meta be good? Obviously.
Do I want to run customs? No, and I play 2122 Small Brawler and I was winning against almost everybody down here for free.
Why? Because I don't want to, and I don't need logic to stick with my opinion.
You don't need logic to stick with your opinion, but you need it to sway others to follow in your opinion.

I find Sheik and Rosalina remarkably uninteresting in the customs-OFF environment and find myself apathetic about the anti-customs' reactionary opinions. I liken them to Donald Trump's appeal for a wall. Except in this case, we are walling off the current metagame under the false pretense that it is fine.

That said, I am willing to compromise insofar as compromise is meaningful. Outright rejection without due cause is another issue altogether, and has no real meaning in the context of this discussion.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
I don't think furthering this conversation will do any good. Peace everyone.
:ohwell:

@ FallenHero FallenHero

My apologies. You are concerned that (1) because players don't enjoy customs, people will be less likely to play smash competitively. This is a valid concern, but we don't have evidence to suggest that its true. Every pole I've seen in regards to customs shows that customs are generally thought of positively. The pole in this very thread suggest that most people support customs. Your point also implies an obvious counter argument.

Aren't you concerned that by turning customs off, people will be less likely to play smash competitively because they like customs?
Maybe it actually is a vocal minority that does not want customs, but I kind of doubt that.

I am pretty sure a lot of people who like competitive Smash 4 would still enjoy competitive Smash 4 if it stayed without using customs, but I can't really prove that. For new people to competitive Smash 4 it wouldn't really be a problem to go through the grind if they don't want to get customs.

I liken them to Donald Trump's appeal for a wall. Except in this case, we are walling off the current metagame under the false pretense that it is fine.
Really dude?

That said, I am willing to compromise insofar as compromise is meaningful. Outright rejection without due cause is another issue altogether, and has no real meaning in the context of this discussion.
What kind of compromise are you thinking about?

Raijinken

Smash Master
What kind of compromise are you thinking about?
Running both rulesets at events at all levels, instead of "Customs are done man give up and play defaults."
Y'know, like singles and doubles. So that we who like customs can play a ruleset we enjoy, and you who don't can do the same.

Like I said before. It's currently a matter of life and death for our fun. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need to constantly fight back against your arguments, because at worst we could say "Oh well, he doesn't agree, I'll just go play in this customs tournament and whatever." Right now we have to say "If we do not convince a ton of very stubborn and influential people that this is the right way to play, then we get nothing."

blackghost

Smash Champion
@Fallen hero
not sure how much you know about custom play and moves but saying 40 percent of the cast gets a move no one wants to play against is a ridiculous. If you dont like the moves nothing i cna do to change that but to imply almost half are OP, annoying, or jank contributes to a spread of misinformation.
un;ess you actually would like to list the moves you were generally refering to.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
Running both rulesets at events at all levels, instead of "Customs are done man give up and play defaults."
Y'know, like singles and doubles. So that we who like customs can play a ruleset we enjoy, and you who don't can do the same.

Like I said before. It's currently a matter of life and death for our fun. If it wasn't, we wouldn't need to constantly fight back against your arguments, because at worst we could say "Oh well, he doesn't agree, I'll just go play in this customs tournament and whatever." Right now we have to say "If we do not convince a ton of very stubborn and influential people that this is the right way to play, then we get nothing."
I think it would be nice to have both coexist as two separate metas, but if you've seen Omni's video about customs, one meta is greater than two. I think we should maybe try to have both coexist for a while, but if neither meta is getting enough growth I think they should just go back to having one. Could end up being a pain for TOs too, but I don't know anything about what it would be like for TOs.

@Fallen hero
not sure how much you know about custom play and moves but saying 40 percent of the cast gets a move no one wants to play against is a ridiculous. If you dont like the moves nothing i cna do to change that but to imply almost half are OP, annoying, or jank contributes to a spread of misinformation.
un;ess you actually would like to list the moves you were generally refering to.
Maybe I shouldn't have said 40% of the characters, but I was just saying numbers. I never said almost half were OP and when I say the word "jank" I mean as in weird, not OP. Also you tagged the wrong person lol.

nodle

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure this would be the best compromise, but I like the idea of declaring 2v2s to be a customs on meta. For too long, the state of customs has either been 'Banned' or 'everyone thinks they'll be banned, so why practice with them.' This meant that no one bothered to practice with customs, leading to players abusing janky and bad strategies on the few occasions when customs were on. By creating a meta for customs, and eliminating the uncertain gains of practicing with customs, we create a space in which the customs meta can advance. We allow for people who support customs and those against customs to interact closely, without each side feeling like the other is hurting their meta because 2v2 and 1v1 are already different metas. This close interaction will hopefully allow for people to learn more about customs and maybe, in a half a year or so, after the bad strategies have been weeded out and people have seen with their own eyes that customs aren't broken, we can broach the topic of using customs in 1v1 matches.

Or maybe I'm crazy and this will never work.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'll just ask, how many people in this thread have unlocked every custom move?
*raises hand*

I have them all on both systems. Unlocked them on the 3DS in time for the Wii U release, and I got the last one for Wii U in early January.
IDK how much time you spend a week playing video games but I get maybe 5-10 hours at best. It took me months to unlock every custom.
I'll ask again, how many people here have unlocked every custom move? 1 person answered and the Ganon thing requires a turbo controller.
Oddly enough, that's the amount of time I played the game too. About 5-10 hours a week. Honestly, I got half the customs without even trying just by going for the "Clear Classic/All Star with all characters" challenges. I'll grant that it's amazingly tedious, but even just an hour a day can get you solid progress, and I'm sure players like Zero practice much longer than that.

I'm viewing this from the perspective that I am decidedly not a professional Smash player and probably never will be. I'm absolutely certain that Zero, Nairo, Esam, Dabuz, FOW, etc. etc. all pour far more time into the game than I do. So I find it unusual that despite this, I'm apparently more dedicated than them with respect to unlocking customs.

On a completely different note, I brought my setup to a local tonight and set up shop for friendlies with customs on. Not a lot of people wandered over to play but there was about 3 or 4 total plus me, and there was questions and discussions and a few of them even made their own custom sets. So I'd call that progress and a good sign in general.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
The only reason that I would like to run custom side events is for people that haven't tried customs that much to participate while still having the chance to participate in customs off at the same time. As I've stated earlier, most people here in Sweden are very sceptical to customs and don't want us to "experiment" with them at our main events, but seem to be interested in entering customs side events. I'm actually pretty positive that once those people have participated in a some customs on tourneys, they will be a lot more okay with customs.

Honestly, I would really like to see how many of those that have entered five or more customs on tourneys support customs or are neutral. Then compare those numbers to how many out of every player that support customs or are neutral. This would probably show us that the majority of anti-customs people have not participated in five or more customs on tourneys, but that's just my guess.

How did you conclude that most people would not enjoy the customs on meta as much as the customs off meta. Most characters don't have a viable custom move set that is nobody likes to play against. Villager is pretty much the only character that I can think of that becomes more "annoying" than in default. I really enjoy playing against wind kong because I know how to defeat him. Pikachu is annoying to play against, but mostly because of U-Air, F-Air and D-Smash. Not because of Thunder Wave or Heavy Skull Bash.

About the matchups... No one on earth has to learn 27040 separate matchups. You learn each of your character's matchups against other characters. Then you learn how to handle each of their custom moves. Done. There is no need to practice every single combination in the game.

Please remember that not every player has to unlock every custom move. One person per scene has to unlock them on a 3DS, which is fully managable.

Just as some people do not enjoy playing with customs (I honestly don't understand why, Villager is not the only character in the game), there are many players that don't enjoy playing without customs.

No. Customs are too much to unlock when you consider how many of them are useless and bad.
Alright. But that's different for every player. Some people want to unlock them and some people don't. The players that don't want to do it can simply not do it. As I've explained multiple times, players don't have to have every custom move unlocked on their own consoles just because the rules say that they are allowed. Unlock the custom moves that you want and play against other players to learn matchups.

I think it would be nice to have both coexist as two separate metas, but if you've seen Omni's video about customs, one meta is greater than two. I think we should maybe try to have both coexist for a while, but if neither meta is getting enough growth I think they should just go back to having one. Could end up being a pain for TOs too, but I don't know anything about what it would be like for TOs.
I kind of agree with this. But to truly determine which meta should be the one that we continue with, I think we need to have a set time that we try both of them out and then have a vote (that only those that have participated in both events can vote in), which will determine what will happen. Perhaps have another discussion before the vote or something. Now if only I would be influential enough to successfully pull this off...

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
I like Omni but his analyse on custom is flawed. Having custom meta coexisting with vanilla meta won't starve both because we are very far from the ressource limit.
Like in a strategy game, there is no competition for the ressources at the beginning (for ssb it's money (a little), time and space (for tournaments), and players), and both metagame can share most of them. Unless SSB4 reach LOL level of development no competition will be seen.
About the meta development, i can say bowser meta, vanilla palutena meta won't develop. They are garbage in vanilla, unless something happens, but in custom they rise, allowing more dedicate mains, so more development.

Personally i'm not really pro custom, but i feel like it's overall a very good thing to have a custom scene in a region, and if a TO or a player want to organise a custom tournament i will help them, because a custom tournament is a ssb tournament in the first place. And i will help anyone who want to organise a default tournament as well.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
1. I brought up SMALL Mii Brawler because the general consensus on Miis is default all specials IIRC

2. I was tagged in this thread, so I gave my piece; I am not here to argue logically or logistically because I don't care if customs are legal or not...
Stop quoting my posts, I don't care how you feel about what I said, that's how everybody on both sides of the issue feels anyway, no argument will change anybody's opinions.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't think I've ever seen an Omni video I agreed with.

I like Omni but his analyse on custom is flawed. Having custom meta coexisting with vanilla meta won't starve both because we are very far from the ressource limit.
Like in a strategy game, there is no competition for the ressources at the beginning (for ssb it's money (a little), time and space (for tournaments), and players), and both metagame can share most of them. Unless SSB4 reach LOL level of development no competition will be seen.
About the meta development, i can say bowser meta, vanilla palutena meta won't develop. They are garbage in vanilla, unless something happens, but in custom they rise, allowing more dedicate mains, so more development.

Personally i'm not really pro custom, but i feel like it's overall a very good thing to have a custom scene in a region, and if a TO or a player want to organise a custom tournament i will help them, because a custom tournament is a ssb tournament in the first place. And i will help anyone who want to organise a default tournament as well.
I'm pretty sure that even if Smash somehow managed to even come close to the active playerbase size of Dota or any derived game, we'd still have a playerbase for alternate competitions. Obviously we'd have to change our tournament format to incorporate larger tournaments (far more setups, bigger venues, less limited time, spread over more days, whatever), but I don't think even then a resource limit would be a problem if it were properly planned for. For large tournaments especially, resource limits are particularly contrived based on perceived popularity. You can almost always reassign or find more space when you have that much influence.

As for unlocking bad things, that's an even better point. You don't have to unlock any custom not present in the moveset project (provided your ruleset utilizes the strict version). This saves you (incomplete list due to lunch break being over) at least five whole characters worth of customs that you don't have to worry about. Edit: This saves you exactly 88 moves, which is a bit under a fourth of all the unlocks.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
I'd like to quickly talk a little about Appa Windkong. When you get hit by the first hit of Cyclone, I know you can airdodge out of the second hit. What I don't know is how often you can do this. It it guaranteed? With the entire cast? Because if so, the move is literally useless. Getting hit by it shouldn't invoke a reaction like "that's so OP" but more like "WE TECH THOOOOSE!!"

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'd like to quickly talk a little about Appa Windkong. When you get hit by the first hit of Cyclone, I know you can airdodge out of the second hit. What I don't know is how often you can do this. It it guaranteed? With the entire cast? Because if so, the move is literally useless. Getting hit by it shouldn't invoke a reaction like "that's so OP" but more like "WE TECH THOOOOSE!!"
Slightly in its defense, the odd influence of the windbox can cause that dodge to sling you straight down with incredible velocity, missing any ledges due to your dodge, etc. Windboxes are weird, but I totally agree that it's a joke move.

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Slightly in its defense, the odd influence of the windbox can cause that dodge to sling you straight down with incredible velocity, missing any ledges due to your dodge, etc. Windboxes are weird, but I totally agree that it's a joke move.
Windboxes are... strange. Jank, even. But that might be the only thing Cyclone has going for it. It actually is kind of funny to me that the "jank OP" custom move everyone complains about is really a joke move.

I kinda hope it gets fixed in a path. Maybe have the second hitbox come out faster to prevent airdodging through it, and in exchange, tone down the windboxes and the auto-cancelling? idk.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I think a potential problem with tournaments running both sets is that the customs meta will be starved when compared to the standard. Customs players can and will play with customs off, because adding customs simply expands the default meta. Default players are less experienced, less knowledgable, and thus less likely to enter customs tournaments. I'm definitely not against letting both develop on their own, it's just an observation. I'd actually like to see the tournament scene develop a sort of circuit that involves equal or near equal representation of customs and standard, forcing players to learn and practice both. I hope Evo stays 'the customs tournament', and I hope some other nationals follow suit, but being able to see and compare both metas would be a pleasure for analyzers like me.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Wind Kong is amazing not because of how it hits but because of how you can get whirled around for trying to edgeguard, or ledgedrop Wind Kong to beat whatever option you were going to implement vs. DK's ledge getup. It's more of a nuisance than a broken custom but it's far from a joke move. Also having a move like this that platform cancels means any stage with platforms and DK has a very safe escape option vs. most characters. Not broken, but far from what I'd call a "joke" custom =V

Raijinken

Smash Master
I think a potential problem with tournaments running both sets is that the customs meta will be starved when compared to the standard. Customs players can and will play with customs off, because adding customs simply expands the default meta. Default players are less experienced, less knowledgable, and thus less likely to enter customs tournaments. I'm definitely not against letting both develop on their own, it's just an observation. I'd actually like to see the tournament scene develop a sort of circuit that involves equal or near equal representation of customs and standard, forcing players to learn and practice both. I hope Evo stays 'the customs tournament', and I hope some other nationals follow suit, but being able to see and compare both metas would be a pleasure for analyzers like me.
I'm probably unique in that I'm not the least bit interested in competing in default Smash, only in customs. Even if its meta is relatively starved (like doubles compared to singles), I think it's better than being sentenced to customs off for the rest of the game's life.

Wind Kong is amazing not because of how it hits but because of how you can get whirled around for trying to edgeguard, or ledgedrop Wind Kong to beat whatever option you were going to implement vs. DK's ledge getup. It's more of a nuisance than a broken custom but it's far from a joke move. Also having a move like this that platform cancels means any stage with platforms and DK has a very safe escape option vs. most characters. Not broken, but far from what I'd call a "joke" custom =V
Watch the previously linked (here for reference) video. A lot of characters are even able to punish the smooth landing, and the near-necessity of going for that on anything but a kill makes it an absurdly predictable move.

I wouldn't really call it a joke move because windboxes mess a lot of people up, and it has its advantages (it is harder to ledgeguard his otherwise not outstanding recovery), but I'm becoming more and more convinced that it doesn't even deserve half the spots on the moveset project, much less all of them.

Last edited:

FallenHero

Smash Ace
You know what? As long as there is such a huge divide between the Smash 4 community I think it would actually be necessary for both metas to coexist. No matter which meta ends up being chosen as the best meta to go with for Smash 4, it will end up pissing off a lot of people. I have no doubts there will be people who will play in tournaments using both metas, and that isn't a bad thing at all. If this ends up happening I think everyone will be happy. I think we should start focusing on convincing people that having both metas exist as at the same time (maybe even treat them as separate games) and not cause both of them to starved.

Raijinken

Smash Master
You know what? As long as there is such a huge divide between the Smash 4 community I think it would actually be necessary for both metas to coexist. No matter which meta ends up being chosen as the best meta to go with for Smash 4, it will end up pissing off a lot of people. I have no doubts there will be people who will play in tournaments using both metas, and that isn't a bad thing at all. If this ends up happening I think everyone will be happy. I think we should start focusing on convincing people that having both metas exist as at the same time (maybe even treat them as separate games) and not cause both of them to starved.
And at last we agree on something =D

The trick is... how?

FallenHero

Smash Ace
And at last we agree on something =D

The trick is... how?
I think the best way to do it is to just treat them as if they were separate games. Maybe one year we could have EVO without customs and the next year with customs, if possible run both in the same year. Other majors mostly focused on the Smash games like Apex could just run both.

Top Bottom