• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your Mafia/Adventure/Decisive Game Traditions?

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Sometimes you've just gotta be at the computer for a while for DGames-y things. The state of the universe depends on it. As a result, you have to get through this and other similiar DGamesy situations, and you might do some interesting things to keep up the willpower to save the world.

If I'm gonna be AGamin' for a while, I generally like to have some foodage and soda while doing so. It helps break up the tenacity of some of those moments of slowdown. (Oh come ON, Eor, it doesn't take that long to describe a farm!!!)

Actually, while playing Infection, I gained the highly unusual (and rarely useful) superpower of traversing the distance between this room and my kitchen in as little time as possible. This includes an electric slide across the ceramic tiling to reach the fridge and a moonwalkin' 180 turn. Trust me it's awesome.

Many people ask about my gajillion hour scumhuntathons. Usually just to confirm if I have completely lost my mind, but sometimes they're curious about the mechanics of 'em and stuff. Rule #1 is definitely "ambient music".

It all started a few years back. I was playing one of my earlier games, and it was down to me to pick between two lynch candidates. That meant rereading, and it was gonna take hours. I turned to mah buddy, Mashad, for help. I needed a good song to maintain my sanity and focus throughout this mountainous task of detective work.

He gave me L's theme, from Death Note. I've never even watched Death Note, but I'll tell ya, it does the trick. I slap that in Youtube Repeater and give 'er for long stretches of time, and it keeps me focused.

Another good song I use for it is this song from the Rubicon soundtrack. It just makes sense, since Rubicon is a show about espionage analysts that pore over minutia for intertwining details and all that junk. There are two other "music samples" from Rubicon on youtube that work just as well.

Very recently, I've added Roland Jenkees's Fifteen Fifty to the list. I just discovered this guy recently through Tom, and he's pretty much the ****. Before settling on Fifteen Fifty, I tried other songs like this jam session, but I'd just get too darn into the music to pay attention.

Speaking of getting too into the music, another song I tried for all of one minute, once, was the song "Batman's Gonna Kick Your ***". I can't link it because it has swears and things, but you might have heard it and it's easy to youtube. Yeah it's basically a disco cover of Christian Bale's famous freakout and it is entirely too catchy.

Also when I win a game, this is my customary celebration gif:

Once again I owe this tradition to Mashad. After a very long, arduous and hard-fought game, I managed to pull through to valhalla in the end. I needed something that expressed the joy and relief; Mashad had me covered. It didn't take me long to realize that "long, arduous and hard-fought" is pretty much the definition of how I play, and so I kept using it. Work it, Ninja! Work it!

That's all I've got for now for playing DGames stuff. Though I'll add that when designing mafia or adventure games I generally listen to music from the soundtrack of whatever I'm adapting. It works well. Also I always seem to do that stuff in the middle of the night -- sometimes insomnia can be useful.

So yeah, that's me! What are your traditions?

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
I've only played like 1.2 games here, so i haven't got much, but nonetheless

scumhunting (or BSing it, in my first game lol) takes extended coherent thinking for me, unlike say math homework but a lot like writing a reasonable english paper. I have two things to help me with this: first is my couchchair. The chair i sit on at the computer is entirely wood, very nice chair really, i like it, but it tends to make my back sore at exactly one time: when i try to think. For that, i have the couchchair. Its like a really poofy old couch in chair form, and the back of it can lean back. When i need to think, i flop down on the couchchair stomach-down so i'm lieing across the whole thing with my chin resting on the top of the part-you-normally-lean on. Then i lean forward until I'm balancing ... wait a sec. I gotta explain: the couchchair touches the ground on 2 parallel wooden beam-things, one running down each side of the seat. ...continuing: until I'm balancing on just 2 points, that being one end of each beam-thing. Then i balance there indefenately and think, and the subconscious concentration it takes to balance (along with the softness and backstretch) makes me conciously concentrate and figure stuff out a lot better. If that doesn't work i go to plan B, a quick unicycle ride around the park thats about 6 blocks from our house. I don't get much thinking done but i find that when I get back i'm refreshed and i can think a lot better.

also if its past 10 PM i drink orange juice to stay awake, but thats not just for mafia

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Whenever I'm absolutely sure I'm winning, I post the price is right theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8iOmVd1W_g

It's a tradition to me to claim that I haven't read the thread, even if I have :troll:. I hate to have to finally put this out of the bag.

Is it considered traditional that I keep myself off of invisible and keep mafia games I'm in open in a tab?

I'm going to make it a tradition to post the Happy Hot Dog Man and Nano Drinking Milk for various reasons. Best reactions ever.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i take D1 as my strongest lead for reads, and every D1 either i am guns blazing or just doing nothing because i'm indecisive about my reads, and don't want to cause chaos for no reason, i sometimes get a good one or two read out there, but then i work the hardest in the night to solidify my indecisive reads.

i'm a behind-the-scenes player, always have been, always will be.

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
I remember when I used to play aimafia I would always try to time stuff during the 2 minute nights, like going to the toilet or getting food. I usually mafia during the morning, so nothing like a good few cups of coffee to help the scum hunting!!!

Swiss

Smash Lord
When I get scum I like to sit in a darkened room at night, grinning at the words I'm typing.

When I get town I...uh. No idea. Have I ever got town?

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
i listen to kid cudi radio or kanye west radio on pandora while writing posts. i usually dont listen to anything when reading/hunting.

ive been known to post nodding.gif

in AGames i usually dont listen to anything. sometime beethovens radio or chopin radio on pandora

#HBC | Dancer

The nicest of the damned.
I guess the one thing I can think of that I consistently do do while playing mafia is exhibit a bad case of ADD. A lot of the time mid post I just get up, walk around, and think about other things, usually mafia related but not always. Talking to myself is not uncommon during this time, nor is going over a same point I'm interested in in my head (or out loud) again and again.

Also, when I'm making a big post I can be all over the place, thinking stuff like "this will be hard to write out" or "I don't know what to think about this point yet," although by the end of it I usually come out with a good product.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
Common tradition for what it comes time to buckle down, do a re-read, and present cases/points is music. For me, I have to have good music so I usually pick my album I'm listening to as of late and just let it replay itself a bunch of times.

Of course there is the obvious tradition of posting gifs to help represent things.

Also a new tradition I'm forming is when role pms are being sent out, I get extremely worried. I'm scared I'm gonna get scum again. When I get town it's like the greatest sigh of relief. If I get scum, I die a bit more on the inside.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Many people ask about my gajillion hour scumhuntathons.
Whoa, you do this? Scary.

He gave me L's theme, from Death Note. I've never even watched Death Note, but I'll tell ya, it does the trick. I slap that in Youtube Repeater and give 'er for long stretches of time, and it keeps me focused.
I dunno if you watch anime, but Death Note is the one anime I would recommend, even to people that don't watch anime.

As a plus, I rewatched it recently, and since I now play mafia it made me think of mafia SO OFTEN. Watch it. /rant

Anyway good song.

So yeah, that's me! What are your traditions?
uh

uh

does not getting lynched count as a tradition?

die

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Common tradition for what it comes time to buckle down, do a re-read, and present cases/points is music. For me, I have to have good music so I usually pick my album I'm listening to as of late and just let it replay itself a bunch of times.

Of course there is the obvious tradition of posting gifs to help represent things.

Also a new tradition I'm forming is when role pms are being sent out, I get extremely worried. I'm scared I'm gonna get scum again. When I get town it's like the greatest sigh of relief. If I get scum, I die a bit more on the inside.
This, in the bold. So much. :3 Tell me a time I got scum more than once. Where. :p

Basically, I get really scared because if I get scum then I fear I might get caught and being scum means more stress blah blah blah.

Tradition? I dunno.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I should make it a tradition to not read role PMs until D1 is over :troll:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
ASDIOH, TOWN COP IS LYNCHED.

See what happens when you don't read your pm. :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
except you'd be playing with the mindset like you're town, regardless of alignment, so you shouldn't be getting lynched if your play is good.

and obviously you'd read the PM if you needed to >_>

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I should make it a tradition to not read role PMs until D1 is over :troll:
I've contemplated doing this to throw people who get their reads on D1 off by just playing as if I were town and then opening my role PM but apparently it doesn't count as playing to your wincon.

Which I find is bogus, if you're scum, you just spent the day deceiving town, even if you lynched scum. If you're town, you were just playing to your wincon.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
I'm not sure I have any traditions I keep. The best thing I have is a policy lynch or two, nothing more. I don't have any images I do post as a tradition as most of them are reaction images tailored to react to specific things (mostly rage/disappointment images, y'all rarely make me happy) and I don't flick on tunes unless I feel like it.

Well, that's me. If I'm on Aggressive Mediation, there will be a tradition being established on that hydra.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I've contemplated doing this to throw people who get their reads on D1 off by just playing as if I were town and then opening my role PM but apparently it doesn't count as playing to your wincon.
Did someone tell you that? I asked Kataefi for permission to not read it before starting the game in Bingo, and made sure I had no posting restriction :D

Which I find is bogus, if you're scum, you just spent the day deceiving town, even if you lynched scum. If you're town, you were just playing to your wincon.
This was my mentality exactly.

The only hitch is if you lynch your scummate, which is... oh well? He so scummy y?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
EE you should listen to Near's theme as well. I personally enjoy Near's more.

I wouldn't call this tradition, but one habit I have while reading is stroking the stubble on my chin to gain extra wisdom.
I also have the habit of tapping my fingers together while I'm reading a stretch of exciting posts. I just noticed this the other day. When I'm caught up in a difficult situation I usually lay back on my couch and think about it for a while. I also tend to doodle a lot while I'm thinking.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I sit down and type posts on a computer. I'm often playing a game on the side TV or an emulator while I do so.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Swiss always seems to be eating cereal when he posts in the morning?

Why do I know that? Cuz I find it funny how I do the same shiz. But where he eats healthy cereal, I eat cocoa puffs or lucky charms or that shiz.

Swiss

Smash Lord
****ing love good cereal. Used to eat it at work as well. Not been on it recently, swapped to yoghurt. You're behind in the Swiss gossip bro.

I might start posting in poetry again, I liked that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I play scum and lurk...then get call out on being a furry being scum and die from a NK or a lynch.

As Town I work to find scum, then get called out being scum and claim a PR role.

I play scummy no matter my alignment...which sucks.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Helped me hide a bit, shame Washed and other called me out for doing nothing and others saw FE mafia meta on me.

That and the Serial killer nailed scum D1 and D2, so salty I was Kati nailed two scum as the SK.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
red ruy you were so blatant that game, especially when you made that sudden flip onto chibo the second that his plan ****ed up and got incredibly active. it was like "no ****ing way"

But yeh, so sad Chibo ruined that.

#HBC | J

Prince of DGamesia
I was sad about RE4 as well. =/

Not the way I intended it but no reason to be upset anymore. I just have to come up with another set-up some day when I am not lazy/busy.

====
Back on topic
====

Would this go for modding traditions as well? If so, I looooove jam packing flavour into death scenes and opening scenes.

#HBC | Laundry

Grand Sage of Swag
3DS FC
3926-6895-8719
You guys have yet to see a Laundry game where I can go balls to the walls. I have something I wanna try in this set-up that might lead to other things. If I can get Stew to grant me a private game, hot damn son.

My hosting traditions are ****ish. I'm usually experimental and my favorite role to use is the plant. Nothing says "**** you town" like losing your vote for the day.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I get a bit carried away with flavour as well!

I just zone out to music when I play. I leave shuffle on until embarrassing songs start playing :chuckle:

#HBC | Nabe

Beneath it all, he had H-cups all along
Can't breathe, but the view is equal to the taste
You guys have yet to see a Laundry game where I can go balls to the walls. I have something I wanna try in this set-up that might lead to other things. If I can get Stew to grant me a private game, hot damn son.

My hosting traditions are ****ish. I'm usually experimental and my favorite role to use is the plant. Nothing says "**** you town" like losing your vote for the day.
The reality:
>You run a UPick
>Someone picks Bellsprout idk
>Town massclaims and they lynch Bellsprout because he's a plant
>He was the doctor
>Just as planned

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Might be biased, but I can't help but feel that he ruined what would've been a great game. Had style and substance - so rare.
I totally agree with this. I thought it would have been as great as FE. I really loved my role. AND I WAS SOOOO SEXY OMG. LOOK AT THE WAY I ESCAPED. :3

mentosman8

BRoomer
BRoomer
Generally if it's nice enough and I'm sitting down for a big re-read/readthrough in general to try to figure things out, I'll bring mah laptop outside on the porch and set up my hookah. Then throw on some music(since last year it'll predominately be Homestuck music) and get to it. Other than that I don't really have much, but the more into a game and the bigger the situation the more focused I am on the game(which is a large part of the reason I do better late game than early game).

Oh, also, occasional 5 minute or so breaks where I completely walk away from the game mid read, and think about the last chunk while doing so to split it up in my head and prevent it from all running together before I have it thought out.

Top Bottom