• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the Key differences between Roy and Marth?

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Roy wasn't really an independent Character in Melee. He had the Same exact Attack formation as Marth. (Except B neutral) Their Only differences were the fact that Roy was slower, and Stronger than Marth. What do You guys think???

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Marth's sword has more prioity, he's better at air fights, edgeguarding, better matchups, recovery, um...

~Infinity~

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8710-6567
Roy Smashes are more powerfuls, but Marths tilts are more effective. Marths Up B attack has an longer range, but Roy's deals more damage. Roy's b attack Takes longer to charge but deals more damage and have a recoil effect. I believe it also have an range when its fully charged. Marths on the other hand B attack is faster and pushes the opponent striaght foward instead of upwards like Roy's.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Roy Smashes are more powerfuls, but Marths tilts are more effective. Marths Up B attack has an longer range, but Roy's deals more damage. Roy's b attack Takes longer to charge but deals more damage and have a recoil effect. I believe it also have an range when its fully charged. Marths on the other hand B attack is faster and pushes the opponent striaght foward instead of upwards like Roy's.
I can see we have a brawl player here.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy is the faster, weaker version of marth. don't believe me? he shffles faster than marth and gets attacks off faster than marth with the exception of fair. marh can get 2 off before roy. Roy's f smash will kill people at higher%, is easier to see coming, and is hard to lead up to. the only thing roy has that is better than marth's is side b.

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
Roy Smashes are more powerfuls,.
Not nessicarily, If you're at the range of roy's fsmash, Roy is likley to get hit whereas Marth can hit at the tip and have an incredbly powerful attack at long range

but Marths tilts are more effective. Marths Up B attack has an longer range, but Roy's deals more damage.
*Facepalm*

Roy's b attack Takes longer to charge but deals more damage and have a recoil effect. I believe it also have an range when its fully charged. Marths on the other hand B attack is faster and pushes the opponent striaght foward instead of upwards like Roy's.
But marth's is still more useful because of speed

battousai555

Smash Ace
Roy is the faster, weaker version of marth. don't believe me? he shffles faster than marth and gets attacks off faster than marth with the exception of fair. marh can get 2 off before roy. Roy's f smash will kill people at higher%, is easier to see coming, and is hard to lead up to. the only thing roy has that is better than marth's is side b.
It seems like Roy's fair is actually faster, but he can't get off two in one SH because of his falling speed. Roy seems to have an overall faster flail speed (at least in the air).

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You're so wrong it's not even funny. Roy's smashes are not more powerful - I believe they degrade, damage-wise, faster than Marth's and if the respective sweetspots are used, the power is about the same, although Marth's softspots are more powerful than Roy's. Marth's neutral B will actually eat shields quite a bit, whereas Roy's doesn't have that effect.

It's worth noting that Roy's dtilt will pop them up into the air, whereas Marth's will push them outwards.
Roy just falls faster. He's not stronger or slower.
Yeah, Roy has the fourth fastest falling speed in the game, I believe.
His attacks are slower than Marth's, in terms of startup and ending lag. His side B is more useful than Marth's, however.
It seems like Roy's fair is actually faster, but he can't get off two in one SH because of his falling speed. Roy seems to have an overall faster flail speed (at least in the air).
It's not faster.

--Roy--
Total: 38
Hit: 5-7
IASA: 35
Auto cancel: 30>
Landlag: 20
Lcanceled: 10

--Marth--
Total: 33
Hit: 4-7
IASA: 30
Auto cancel: 27>
Landlag: 15
Lcanceled: 7

Basically, use Marth unless you're screwing around. There's no real reason to use Roy over Marth.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Roy's smashes are not more powerful
I think a sweetspotted fsmash from roy is slightly more powerful then a tipper. Atleast at mid-higher percents. I'll check this later lol.
(But Roy IS still useless compared to marth, btw. Fun to mess around with, you can use him LT tournies if you're good with him I guess)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Roy does not suck as much as people think. pushed to the limit he can be just as good as doc perhaps even better. only a few people can push roy so far competitively; those people would be Neo, sethlon, Masashi, and I believe I can do it to

I went to a tournament last year with an outcome of 50 some people and I got 7th as Roy even though I was knocked into loser's bracket first round by Xif. there were a large number of well known people from the midwest and I beat most of them. some people who went were Xif(duh), Iori, ihavespaceballs, viperboy, pb&j, Rob Gambino, thinkaman, genoblast, and a few others from st. louis.

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
U Ppl R Soooo0 ****ing Retartd@@@22 When Will U Realise Dat Roy Has Fir3 And Marth Dont Have Phyre!!!???//

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
I dunno, I think that all characters have the potential to be really, really good I mean look at t!mmy's Kirby and t0mmy's Pichu, not to mention Taj's Mewtwo.

LSDX

Wah!
Roy's suffers from more frame lag after and during his attacks and doesn't have as much knockback to his attacks compared to Marth. Even with Roy's sweetspot there is no significant difference in knock back save for his smashes. The only moves Roy has going for him is his DED, Dilt, Fsmash (situational[finisher]), and Usmash (situational). The rest of Roy's tilts are garbage. Don't even both with trying to use his Dair as a reliable MS/Spike(?). I personally use Roy because he has potential in my eyes and I just love his character and his game (FE6:Fuin no Tsurugi).

LSDX

Wah!
neo is freakin sexy with roy. if you think roy sucks, play him. i detect 4 stocks approaching.
Neo does obtain a beast Roy, but probably not four stocking. A Roy wishing to obtain a four stock in the highest level of meta-game is simply a dream.

sherigami

Smash Journeyman
ok, its tiem u dum tourn3hf4gz learnd teh truth bout this thing.

roy has fier

marht has phaggutry

roy has bett3r smashez n stuff so roy is betar. plus eh lieks girls n marth liekz other guys so thats liek ohemgee i dun liek marth >.>

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Wow, Now people think Roy sucks?
:chuckle:...wait, you're joking right?:confused:

Basically, use Marth unless you're screwing around. There's no real reason to use Roy over Marth.
sure, he sucks, but don't pretend like there's absolutely nothing going for Roy. I mean it when I say that I don't use Marth because he's a gay tiara wearing overused overpowered prince charming. still, I'm definitely better with Roy then Marth. And besides, mid-low tier isn't terrible, expecially when in truth he's higher up then half the characters.

QTF

Roys smashes are all pathetic, F-smash being the only half decent one. at least Marth can use both Fsmash and Usmash, the Fsmash being faster and better then Roy's.

Pathetic attempt to revive a dead board.
In ending, I quote this one for truth. this has brought nothing but flaming and hatred in the Roy Boards...again. this is not what we need.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Roys smashes are all pathetic, F-smash being the only half decent one.
...no.

Upsmash is safe for a smash (less lag on hit than ftilt), good for hitting chars on platforms (FoD is upsmash city), can stab through shields on platforms (or just weaken the shield so you can stab through later with dtilt/uair), and combos at low-mid percents.
Dsmash comes out in only 6 frames (half as many framesas fsmash, is 2 frames faster than a dtilt with just as much range), and kills floaties at 95% (and can still kill off the side if it tips). Just don't whiff it.

Marth's fsmash pretty much ***** all of roy's smashes put together, but a clever roy can get way more use out of up/dsmash than a marth.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Lol, I know my character sucks. His smashes are kinda good though, and this chance to spout out random knowledge is as good as any.

Seriously, upsmashing people on platforms is entirely too much fun. Especially when they catch on and wait to shield, and then you charge it a little bit to rip more shield off/hit them out of a jump :cool:

Top Bottom