• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are the chances you will start using Toon Link instead?

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
Anyone here who was a Link main in Melee (and is planning on maining Link in Brawl) think they might start using Toon Link instead, since he seems to be regarded (so far) as a better version/clone of Link?

If Toon Link lives up to the hype I've seen him get then maybe I'll consider switching, although I do prefer a power character over a faster one.

Izaw

Smash Ace
I like Link more then Toon link becuase of the diffrent attacks. Links got a more usefull boomerang, we just haven't found any strategies yet :p. Also I dont like Toon Links Up-B, it should be a killing move.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I don't play characters because they do well in the metagame, I play them because I personally like their playstyles. Speed-oriented, combo-heavy types don't generally appeal to me, so I don't see any reason why I'd want to switch over to Young Link. I sucked with him in Melee, and he still seems to have mostly the same style, aside from being way floatier and having a better back aerial.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
I see myself using Toon Link as much as I did Young Link...slim to none, Original Link is a beast!

:3

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
The main reason I didn't like and never really played Young Link in Melee is his range. His sword is so friggin short compared to Link's, it doesn't make sense. From what I hear his sword has received a buff however, and has a little more range now. I'm not sure how his projectiles work, but a longer sword is definitely a plus.

Sliverstorm

Smash Cadet
the funny thing is while toon link is reminiscent of young link in his speed and all, he feels FAR more like melee link than brawl link does. The only real discrepancy is the length of his sword as far as I am concerned. I have pretty much switched.

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
i honestly havent seen any vids of toon link whatsoever but i know for a fact that im gonna main Link and not Toon Link simply because i like him better

Igneous42

Smash Ace
0 chance. Toon Link could be highest tier and Link could be lowest and I'd still play Link over him. I dislike toon Link and like Link a lot. And when I played him at eforall he seemed fine. I think too many people are just trying to play him the exact same way they did in melee. And he's changes a bit.

Ryudo_Sama

Smash Ace
Pretty slim. I hardly used Young Link in Melee, so having to use Toon Link over Link is not really going to happen.

krackizwak

Smash Cadet
I am going to try like heck to main link but with nothing but bad news its starting to piss me off. Link has gotten the short end of the stick since 64 and now that i have actually got some more better people to play against i have thought about switching to ww link or snake but i really dont want to drop link.:(

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
I am going to try like heck to main link but with nothing but bad news its starting to piss me off. Link has gotten the short end of the stick since 64 and now that i have actually got some more better people to play against i have thought about switching to ww link or snake but i really dont want to drop link.:(
I've heard mixed things about Link. Either way, NO ONE is in a position to make judgments about ANY of the characters. Unlike in Melee, I think Link will be pretty well balanced with everyone else, but as for the feel of how he plays, if Toon Link feels closer to the Link from Melee I might then consider switching.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be too concerned about what everyone has been saying. If you asked non-Link mains about what they thought about Link in Melee, most of them still probably would have said that he sucked. That didn't keep him from being amazingly fun to play.

He's basically the same as he was in Melee aside from the fact that most of his attacks are less punishable and KOs are a little harder to get...but KOs are harder to get for everyone, so even that probably isn't too big of a deal. Link's only real problem in Melee was that he had no way to deal with Fox, Falco, and Sheik, which were also pretty much the only three characters anyone else played. Now that the things that made them so ridiculous are being toned down, Link will probably fare much better overall, even if his own moveset doesn't improve too drastically.

triforceswordmaster

Smash Apprentice
i dunno, i'll probably use link more because he just seems better. however, i might use toon link sometimes just cause of his cel shadedness. young link was just no.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
It's Link till the end.

And his Final Smash seems to be an instant kill
They have the same one, just for the record. The only differences are the sound effects of the slashes, and the coloration of the Trifoce light that surrounds the enemy (TL's has a bolder yellow color, probably to fit the whole "Toon" thing).

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
I saw a vid of Link getting a KO and his opponent had 0% damage.

I saw Toon Link do it, and his opponent had like 50% damage afterwards and didn't die.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
If you watch this video, you'll notice Link and Toon Link's FS does the same amount of damage with the same amount of knockback with the enemy in the exact same spot.

Bravo

Smash Cadet
NNID
E.Bravo
3DS FC
0877-2579-3179
i´m gonna try him but i´ll always main link

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I tried Toon Link.
I liked Link better and I'm sticking to him.

Toon Link felt awkward, but I guess he could easily be like a secondary or something.

cr00mz

Smash Cadet
Toon Link all the way, because we all know that Wind Waker is the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
Toon Link all the way, because we all know that Wind Waker is the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past
*cough*bull***t*cough*

i didn't find the WW games very challenging, and it didn't really make me want to keep playing..

Zodiac

Smash Master
Instead, no way. I'll still use toon link, probably like I used young link, if he's like another young Link, In my opinion Young link was to low tier in melee, he was a projectile set up beast and I dont know about Toon link because I havnt played it but. Yes I will probablly switch between all the zelda characters as the situation calls for it.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
*cough*bull***t*cough*

i didn't find the WW games very challenging, and it didn't really make me want to keep playing..
LMAO, is that guy crazy? The only Zelda WW is better than is majora's Mask. And even that could go either way.

Ocarina of Time>>>Wind Waker

And twilight Princes>Ocarina of Time

I might actually USE Toon Link now, but not instead of Link

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
Toon link looks too light but ill see. Most likely using link but i like them both just as much might just be them both.

Zoro

Smash Champion
You can actually make up some cool combos with toon link and you cant really make any with link
you can barely follow up with any attacks with link. Thats the only reason i play TL really

Here are some of the combos i have made up and named (awesomely btw)

Rising Zoro- Back air back air up b = insta death the 2 back airs send them high enough that at even lower percentages the up b will kill them. Links up b goes sooo high

Eruption Strike - 1 down air and if the character bounces the same down air can hit them again which will make them bounce just high enough for an up air or up tilt -I dont know if this works on all characters

Rising Head Crush- Back air footstool down air- Pure nastiness

Lol

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
well my story is i started link til i unlocked y link and used him. but i seemed to losse more with y link. and the secret was... i get hit a lot!!!. as link can dish it out and take it far better that y link ever could i switched back to link and was once again a beast. if that all apply's to brawl then i'm not touching ww link for a while.

Top Bottom