• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I mean… you can't make everyone happy tho… as a huge crossover game this is, it's almost unavoidable for sakurai to include "x" character in "y"'s reveal trailer and make someone a bit pissed off… I don't think there are that many cases to even worry tho. I honestly don't mind who appears in who's trailer, as long as we get the characters, it's awesome to me. If i'm gonna be fighting random characters in-game i don't see why a trailer showing random characters together really is that big of a deal. But that's just me i guess…
Take our OP, Mr. Nintendo. His most wanted character is Skull Kid, and his least is Geno. I guarantee you there are other people who would be pissed to see it happen.

Revealing multiple completely unrelated characters like that takes the focus off each character, and makes the reveal less special.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Take our OP, Mr. Nintendo. His most wanted character is Skull Kid, and his least is Geno. I guarantee you there are other people who would be pissed to see it happen.
I hate repeating myself but… If it's not a huge amount of people actually known for that, I don't think Sakurai would care. Unless there is a poll somewhere that lets me know that there are thousands of people who would get pissed off about that, i really don't see how this specific case would be relevant to Nintendo/Sakurai, specially with that many random characters involved in newcomer reveals (i also remembered cap. falcon in the robin lucina trailer, nobody complained there either). The cases for this to be an issue really are more vague than you think. But i respect the idea of some people being pissed off about it, i just don't think that would stop the company from doing it anyways since it's still a crossover game in the end. (also, if geno gets his ass kicked, i don't see how the OP wouldn't like that even more then, lmao, and maybe link would be around in that trailer, not just those 2)

Revealing multiple completely unrelated characters like takes the focus off each character, and makes the reveal less special.
I didn't see anyone bothered about it with Luigi in the simon reveal or mario and megaman in the ridley one… but ok i will admit that there is indeed a charm in revealing a character along characters of the same series, that IS true for sure.

Last edited:
Also, if people are opposed to seeing Geno in the game, or any character for that matter, putting that character in someone else's trailer is a really great way to ruin that trailer.
It's not my intention that you'd feel trapped into a corner here cause everybody is quoting you nor do i want this super thread to be hijacked by the subject but... one last thing (for the sake of discussing) :

I know this is not the same but, did the Belmont's trailer was ruined by Luigi? (cuz i know a bunch of people who hates Luigi's Mansion... i personally hate Luigi's Mansion)

IMO i think the Belmont's trailer was one of the best (personal favorite are Link vs Pit/Palutena and Lucina/Robin vs Capt. Falcon...) and i said that as 'not a fan' of Luigi.

If it's well done (i'm sure it will be) there's no real limit to what they can do in a reveal trailer like this. That's my dreamer opinion, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
Ah Yes because people were really less hyped about snake or Mega Man because they were shown right after Wario and Villager (and hell villager actually did have a fair bit of detractors for "too peaceful")

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's Square's. That's why he's never shown up since, except that one cameo, for which they had to get permission. Geno is a third party character, period.

Also, if people are opposed to seeing Geno in the game, or any character for that matter, putting that character in someone else's trailer is a really great way to ruin that trailer.
Technically his last cameo appearance was Smash 4 which was only 4 years ago. So it hasn't been that long

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It's not my intention that you'd feel trapped into a corner here cause everybody is quoting you nor do i want this super thread to be hijacked by the subject but... one last thing (for the sake of discussing) :

I know this is not the same but, did the Belmont's trailer was ruined by Luigi? (cuz i know a bunch of people who hates Luigi's Mansion... i personally hate Luigi's Mansion)

IMO i think the Belmont's trailer was one of the best (personal favorite are Link vs Pit/Palutena and Lucina/Robin vs Capt. Falcon...) and i said that as 'not a fan' of Luigi.

If it's well done (i'm sure it will be) there's no real limit to what they can do in a reveal trailer like this. That's my dreamer opinion, take it with a grain of salt.
Exactly. I mean, if characters are dying, would Skull kid killing Geno make you happier than not getting Geno at all in the trailer? XD let's be honest here.
But yeah I really didn't know that about people hating on luigi, hell i spent HOURS watching reaction videos and such and everyone were laughing their asses about luigi dying, i didn't even see a single hater comment in the chat streams at all… So i really think those cases are very … scarce. But yeah, if it's well done, which so far always is when it comes to Smash, I don't see why is there fear of seeing a character we don't like in the reveal of a new one, I freaking love these trailers after all lol they are beautiful.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
on a note of "if Skull kid speaks" stuff, while it's not exactly him saying it, it would be kinda disappointing if a Skull kid trailer didn't reference the "You've met a terrible fate, Haven't you?" line in some way

(also ya can add me to the supporters list freely, not too crazy about it but i like the idea)

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Guys, none of those were new reveals. Captain Falcon and Luigi were returning veterans. (Charizard too, I forgot about him in Greninja's trailer.) Brawl is the exception, but they weren't doing individual character reveals then, and the first trailer was the only video reveal, aside from Sonic's (a third party character). Since then, they have never revealed two newcomers in the same trailer unless they were from the same series.

Reveals have a different impact than using characters we already know about. That's why I think it would be okay to use Skull Kid to good effect in a Geno trailer, but revealing them simultaneously would be weird to me.

That's all I wanted to say.

Technically his last cameo appearance was Smash 4 which was only 4 years ago. So it hasn't been that long
That's a fair point. My point stands though! That costume was only attainable after Cloud was already in and they had reached a deal with Square.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Guys, none of those were new reveals. Captain Falcon and Luigi were returning veterans. (Charizard too, I forgot about him in Greninja's trailer.) Brawl is the exception, but they weren't doing individual character reveals then, and the first trailer was the only video reveal, aside from Sonic's (a third party character). Since then, they have never revealed two newcomers in the same trailer unless they were from the same series.

Reveals have a different impact than using characters we already know about. That's why I think it would be okay to use Skull Kid to good effect in a Geno trailer, but revealing them simultaneously would be weird to me.

That's all I wanted to say.

That's a fair point. My point stands though! That costume was only attainable after Cloud was already in and they had reached a deal with Square.
Ok so maybe Skull kid fighting Young link and then geno comes to aid at the very end as something extra to the reveal makes more sense then? Cause i would be happy with that too, if the other idea is too troublesome. And if someone has to die/get their spirit taken again, then Young link can already fit that role or something.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
Ok so maybe Skull kid fighting Young link and then geno comes to aid at the very end as something extra to the reveal makes more sense then? Cause i would be happy with that too, if the other idea is too troublesome. And if someone has to die/get their spirit taken again, then Young link can already fit that role or something.
I feel like if they WERE to announce both Skull Kid and Geno in one trailer, that would be the best way to do it.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I feel like if they were to announce both Skull Kid and Geno in one trailer, that would be the best way to do it.
Yeah I mean some leaks (probably fake ones) on 4chan kept repeating that idea of skull kid fighting young link (one said toon link for some reason) and then geno appears. So who knows, maybe that's how it turns out… I wonder what other character we could get revealed instead of geno, alongside skull kid… maybe tetra or impa? a 100% zelda trailer would be pretty sick too.

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
i imagined that a Geno and Skull Kird trailer would probably go something like this

Young link goes through the lost woods and sees a Geno-Like silhouette, Link then follows it and when he gets to a dead end the Puppet he's been following falls apart, Que Skull Kid coming in and attacking Link, after gameplay it shows that young link is struggling and losing against skull kid, suddenly a Star passes by and interrupts Skull kid, the star then uses the last renaming pieces yo form a new Body, que Geno and Gameplay, i dunno how to end it after that lol

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I mean, it's not terrible, but then won't Geno fans feel cheated out of a trailer?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean, it's not terrible, but then won't Geno fans feel cheated out of a trailer?
Well… I guess I see your point now… two heavily requested newcomers should shine alike

Are we really complaining about multiple characters being revealed at once? At the end of the day who's going to care when your character is playable?
That's what I was saying in the very beggining actually. The trailers are amazing and we are gonna be fighting random character in-game afterwards anyway lmao. I honestly don't see the issue of revealing them together that much, but i still understand those who feel bad about it. I personally don't think it's a big deal at all, the amount of cases of people being that touchy about it instead of celebrating the inclusion of the character are very scarce anyway for Sakurai or Nintendo to care, cause they know they are making us happier more than anything over little details like that.

Last edited:
on a note of "if Skull kid speaks" stuff, while it's not exactly him saying it, it would be kinda disappointing if a Skull kid trailer didn't reference the "You've met a terrible fate, Haven't you?" line in some way
Having the one and only Happy Mask salesman saying it could be great.

One of the smash character comes up to him BUT as a Deku. Same as the MM's intro except it's (i don't know) Deku Ness.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
While I'd obviously still be excited for Skull Kid, I would still be disheartened that he couldn't have his own newcomer trailer when every other newcomer since the beginning of Smash 4 got their own reveal to themselves, sharing only with veterans and clones. The spotlight was still on them.

And that he'd be reveal which such an awful character, that I know everyone would all focus on that stupid irrelevant nobody like he should have been in 10 years ago and Skull Kid would be overlooked by everyone. I want a trailer filled to the brim with Majora's Mask fan service. Not some half arsed nothing being shared with nothing. For all we know he wouldn't even get Majora's Mask music in his reveal. It wouldn't be fair on Skull Kid

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Well… I guess I see your point now… two heavily requested newcomers should shine alike
Sorry if I was rude or anything. That was the point I was trying to make in the first place though. It just feels to me that sharing the spotlight isn't fair to either character.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
While I'd obviously still be excited for Skull Kid, I would still be disheartened that he couldn't have his own newcomer trailer when every other newcomer since the beginning of Smash 4 got their own reveal to themselves, sharing only with veterans and clones. The spotlight was still on them.

And that he'd be reveal which such an awful character, that I know everyone would all focus on that stupid irrelevant nobody like he should have been in 10 years ago and Skull Kid would be overlooked by everyone. I want a trailer filled to the brim with Majora's Mask fan service. Not some half arsed nothing being shared with nothing. For all we know he wouldn't even get Majora's Mask music in his reveal. It wouldn't be fair on Skull Kid
Well this… convinced me…yeah now I want the reveal to only focus on newcomers separated from each other. It opens up more creative ideas for cinematics that do more justice to the newcomer alone , after all that's the point of their reveal.

Last edited:

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice

I agree. While I have been wondering what exactly it would be Like to have another character revealed alongside Skull Kid, he does deserve his own cinematic reveal. I also had something else to say not specifically linked to your post, but my brain fried, so I'll update when I remember.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If we get a reveal alongside Skull Kid, I think it could only be a Zelda character, probably an echo. But even then, we don't seem to be getting those in the same trailer this time around, since we didn't get Dark Samus in Ridley's reveal. And if we get Dixie as a Diddy echo, we won't have gotten her in K. Rool's trailer either!

EDIT: The exception is Richter, of course, but he's an echo of the character in that very trailer.

Last edited:
If we get a reveal alongside Skull Kid, I think it could only be a Zelda character, probably an echo. But even then, we don't seem to be getting those in the same trailer this time around, since we didn't get Dark Samus in Ridley's reveal. And if we get Dixie as a Diddy echo, we won't have gotten her in K. Rool's trailer either!

EDIT: The exception is Richter, of course, but he's an echo of the character in that very trailer.
The only possible LoZ echos that come to my mind are Skyward sword Impa and Toon Ganondorf...

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Zelda series has lots of potential echoes

Ravio, Pipit and Dark Link for Link
Hilda, Marin and Twili Midna for Zelda
Impa for Sheik
Demise and Agahnim for Ganondorf
Saria, Mido and Kafei for Young Link

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
As long as we don't get freaking Groose, i'm happy, lol.

Impa for Sheik
I love you for suggesting Kafei… he is my second most favorite character after Skull kid from the MM game… I would legit cry of happiness if Kafei made it in.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero

Impa for Sheik
Kafei! Yes! I thought of him earlier today and then totally forgot!

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Zelda has a Hilda color scheme in one of her alts. Since Dark Samus colors and Chrom colors were removed from Samus and Ike alts, I'm pretty sure she will not be a playable character.
Actually she doesn't, she does however have her old lady alt from previous games return that people often mistake for Hilda

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Zelda has a Hilda color scheme in one of her alts. Since Dark Samus colors and Chrom colors were removed from Samus and Ike alts, I'm pretty sure she will not be a playable character.
It's not really based on Hilda though:

The Zelda alt's hair is too light, the torso is too dark, and Hilda has a red ball on her crown thing. I think the Zelda alt is more of a standard dark Zelda palette.

Impa for Sheik
Nice. I haven't thought of those.

Wow Demise for a Ganondorf echo, it would crash all limits of badassery.

Agahnim though is more of a mage but i see your point (spoiler alert: it's Ganon).

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman

Impa for Sheik
Saria, that is a interesting one I haven't heard of before, it would be unexpected but welcomed.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Frankly I think the fact that Hilda has a big ol' staff and Zelda doesn't is a bit more damning than that Zelda costume, but as I've said before, Sakurai doesn't always care when designing clones. The fact that Zelda is based on her ALttP design makes it a tad more likely, I think.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Frankly I think the fact that Hilda has a big ol' staff and Zelda doesn't is a bit more damning than that Zelda costume, but as I've said before, Sakurai doesn't always care when designing clones. The fact that Zelda is based on her ALttP design makes it a tad more likely, I think.
To work around the staff issue, they'll probably just give Hilda some of Palutena's animations/moves that involve her staff (such as Palutena's forward tilt).

Shadownade

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shadownade
To work around the staff issue, they'll probably just give Hilda some of Palutena's animations/moves that involve her staff (such as Palutena's forward tilt).
I mean, if Chrom can be some kind of weird Echo hybrid, I'm sure they can do that for Hilda, too.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Honestly, I'd prefer Twili Midna as a Zelda echo. I loved Twilight Princess, and I miss all of the designs. It's weird that we have designs from a lot of games now, but now there are no TP designs anymore. It'd be easy enough to give Zelda darkness effects and a Twilight creature summon. Plus Midna is really popular...but the imp's an assist again.

I think Hilda would be best as a recolor - that's what she got in Hyrule Warriors. The major stars of that game are Ravio and Yuga (who both did get into HW); Hilda really seems like a response to "Who could be a Zelda echo?" more than "Who would be a good echo from the Zelda series?" Bonus points since nobody started supporting it until Zelda's design was revealed, so it's all because she has the LttP/LBW dress.

But the Zelda series definitely needs some love. We haven't gotten a unique moveset since Melee.

Top Bottom