• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Masked Marauders - Skull Kid For Smash! Night of the Last Day.

What's your favourite transformation in Majora's Mask?

• Deku Link

• Goron Link

• Zora Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Count me as a supporter! I promise I'm not merely jumping on the bandwagon here... Majora's Mask is one of my favorite games of all time (and you gotta love that gold cartridge with the holographic image right?! :grin:). My favorite Zelda game overall next to OoT (although it's actually difficult to say which I like better). The haunting atmosphere, the dark themes relating to loneliness and death, all wrapped up in the Zelda formula we all knew and loved; it absolutely enthralled me. I'll never forget the Song of Healing for as long as I live (That **** gives me goosebumps).

Skull kid (although he was merely a puppet to the Mask) was extremely memorable as well. For me, I remember the Mask as the only main antagonist and last boss fight I took on in a Zelda game that wasn't Ganondorf, so it stuck in my mind quite well. I just never thought it was possible that he would ever make it into Smash... Come on, he was a popular character, but he only appeared in one title, and because of that I thought it was impossible. I feel like MM 3D was definitely important for putting him back into the spotlight. There just seems to be so much lining up this time around, so I feel like it's really his time. I'm still trying to keep my expectations in check, but it's exciting to say the least. Do we have some decent numbers to look at in order to better gauge his popularity? Since popularity actually seems like it's a big deal this time around...

I'm also curious as to how you all would think a moveset would work? It seems like they may have to take a lot of liberties, at least when it comes to his normal moves. Skull Kid didn't really do all that much... now that I think about it. He turns you into a Deku Scrub, floats, and makes the moon fall... Other than that it seems like they would have to take a lot from the boss fight with Majora. Even though Skull Kid is disposed of by the time the boss fight takes place, he's still the most iconic "vessel", and I don't think Incarnation or Wrath would work very well... Haha. Using the boss fight, I feel like these specials work best:

Standard B - Fire Beam (Used by Majora's Mask), Chargeable, and it shoots from the mask.
Side B - Tentacle Grab (Used by Majora's Wrath), Command grab with decent distance but high cool down, can also be used to tether grab the ledge.
Up B - Float (Used by Skull Kid), Basic recovery that works like R.O.B's where there's no free-fall animation and he can act out of it.
Down B - Spiked Tops (Wrath), Throws spinning spiked tops that slowly move across the stage.

That's just some initial thoughts I've had. Maybe throw in the tentacles and "dark magic" effects into his A moves.

I will say that as much as I would love to see him, the Zelda fan in me will be a bit peeved that he's a unique character while we've got Falcondorf over here. LOL! Ganondorf looks better now honestly, but how f-ed up would that be? OMG what if Skull Kid is a Zelda echo?! :urg: Lol

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I will say that as much as I would love to see him, the Zelda fan in me will be a bit peeved that he's a unique character while we've got Falcondorf over here. LOL! Ganondorf looks better now honestly, but how f-ed up would that be? OMG what if Skull Kid is a Zelda echo?! :urg: Lol
That'd be an insult to the Zelda reputation to the extreme. Haha I'm confident Sakurai will make Skull Kid fairly unique since he'd be a legitimate Zelda newcomer.

Demonfunds

Smash Journeyman
That'd be an insult to the Zelda reputation to the extreme. Haha I'm confident Sakurai will make Skull Kid fairly unique since he'd be a legitimate Zelda newcomer.
Also based on body shape that wouldn't work at all Skull kid is too short to fit Zelda, and to my understanding all echos have the body shape of their respective characters, if Zelda is getting a echo it's Hilda.

Last edited:

SkulltulaKid

Smash Cadet

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm pretty sure Skull Kid was actually the very first assist trophy to be shown.

It was what prompted Gamexplain to start their weekly discussions.

Much earlier than release actually.
https://www.zeldadungeon.net/skull-kid-is-an-assist-trophy-in-super-smash-bros-wii-u-and-3ds/
He was deconfirmed by Sakurai December 2013, and the game came out in Fall 2014.
It won't happen this time! (hopefully)

Anybody can do the math:

Moon AT confirmed + Skull Kid AT not confirmed yet = Playable Skull Kid or else a late assist trophy reveal or is just not in the game at all.

All that because imo it would be silly to have a Moon AT and a separate Skull Kid AT (dropping the moon is arguably his signature move as he's doing it during the quasi entirety of the game). If they would put the Moon AT for the first time, why not having Skull Kid dropping the moon? I find it incredibly suspicious.

Welcome to the hypetrain (keep your hands inside for safety we could crash at any moments...)

Edit: Plus the conspiracy of Sakurai's background chairs is growing on me...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How much does the Great Bay stage change since the Moon is a AT. It was part of the background with it falling but the the four giants stop it and toss it back to the sky. Would they still keep it?
It's been seen there, and Knuckles is in Green Hill, my guess is just that specific assist trophies don't load when on a certain stage.

So you won't have two Knuckles or two Moons

I think the Moon is iconic enough to also be his final smash, they can just add the Clock Tower in and have it be cinematic like K. Rool's and Ridley's where they destroy it.

Last edited by a moderator:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
How much does the Great Bay stage change since the Moon is a AT. It was part of the background with it falling but the the four giants stop it and toss it back to the sky. Would they still keep it?
The scene in my head of the giants stopping the moon only for another one to show up and destroy everything anyway is super strong.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Palkia also shows up as a Pokeball summon and a stage hazard

And if Hyrule Warriors is anything to go by, the moon is going to be a background object, assist trophy, final smash, item, stage, a move for a completely unrelated character and a playable character.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It won't happen this time! (hopefully)

Anybody can do the math:

Moon AT confirmed + Skull Kid AT not confirmed yet = Playable Skull Kid or else a late assist trophy reveal or is just not in the game at all.

All that because imo it would be silly to have a Moon AT and a separate Skull Kid AT (dropping the moon is arguably his signature move as he's doing it during the quasi entirety of the game). If they would put the Moon AT for the first time, why not having Skull Kid dropping the moon? I find it incredibly suspicious.

Welcome to the hypetrain (keep your hands inside for safety we could crash at any moments...)

Edit: Plus the conspiracy of Sakurai's background chairs is growing on me...
I think it's almost guaranteed that he isn't an AT anymore, because this guy
literally is replacing what the skull kid AT used to do, which was reverting controls. So yeah… if i had to give a %, i think he is 90% playable at this point, imo.

It's been seen there, and Knuckles is in Green Hill, my guess is just that specific assist trophies don't load when on a certain stage.
That's interesting, i'll definetly check on that. There's also some F-Zero racers for whom it could apply.

(also wonder if the Boss version of Ridley in Pyrosphere will appear when Ridley is part of the actual fight...)

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I don't think Rambling Mushroom means much, Skull Kid did more than reverse controls, one of which was done by Palkia in the same game. Plus Ramblin Mushroom is to characters you hit with it, Skull Kid is everyone.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Rambling Mushroom means much, Skull Kid did more than reverse controls, one of which was done by Palkia in the same game. Plus Ramblin Mushroom is to characters you hit with it, Skull Kid is everyone.
True, but they do put their assets to some other use sometimes
Like with SSB4, ZSS had something similar to Snake's final smash

And there was a missile item like Snake's missiles, wasn't there?

Also, Sheik's grenades in 4 as well

OreoSmasher777

Smash Cadet
I think that at this point he has a 90% of getting in I would like to see tetra but I would main this guy bc I love magic
Add me to the that support

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
Whatever "leak" with Bandana Dee and without Dixie won't ever be good to me.
Plus, that Skull Kid is basically Hyrule Warriors' Sull Kid
Could definitely see some inspiration from Skull Kid's moveset from Hyrule Warriors, but not sure I believe the leak as legitimate. I'm guessing September / October for Skill Kid's reveal so I am just trying to keep my mind busy lol. Just started Majora's Mask again to revel in hype with in hopes he makes it in

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The more I think about it, the more I think Skull Kid would be a great unique fighter. Majora's Mask has huge potential to pull from for moves.

A Clock Town stage would be a nice addition as well.

He could be a potential magic user, and we need more of those in Smash.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Skull Kid won't have anything from Hyrule Warriors. Sakurai didn't take anything from that before so I doubt he will going forward.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Also based on body shape that wouldn't work at all Skull kid is too short to fit Zelda, and to my understanding all echos have the body shape of their respective characters, if Zelda is getting a echo it's Hilda.
Also to note, Zelda's moves have a strong girly aesthetic to them. Haha Skull Kid is male, hardcore.
But it still has merit. Skull Kid is noticeably requested and Sakurai clearly sees it.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I watched this! Thought it was pretty interesting. I really like the Assist Trophy idea!
Yeah, it would be awesome and really spice up the gameplay. All of the additional assist trophy functionality made me think they'd show up in the Story Mode as enemies or something. Never thought of them working like traditional fighting game assists.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah, it would be awesome and really spice up the gameplay. All of the additional assist trophy functionality made me think they'd show up in the Story Mode as enemies or something. Never thought of them working like traditional fighting game assists.
Between stamina mode having stocks, Squad Strike, and the chargeable FS meter, you can turn Ultimate basically into a standard fighting game. Adding Assist Trophies into the mix would be great too, and would mean I actually get to see Shovel Knight sometimes. :laugh:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I love Majora's Mask and think Skull Kid would be great. I do have some concerns though, admittedly.

-Popular one-shot Zelda characters like Midna, Zant and Ghirahim's have been well-supported before as well and have never made it past the AT chopping block. Skull Kid got this treatment once.
Admitted counterpoint: Skull Kid as a concept has been in more games than those ones and has had his game recently remade, but it's still a valid concern.

-The Moon AT, I feel, harms his chances. Not only would it have made a great Final Smash, but it's taking an entire element of Majora: the fear and destruction it set out to unleash, and containing it in an item rather than a move set. They could've easily picked Meteor from FF7 to be an identical AT and preserve Majora's most menacing feat for a FS, but they didn't.
Admitted counterpoint: Moon is AT, Skull Kid is nowhere to be seen. Clearly some deliberation has occurred. But my point still worries me.

-I find Skull Kid's identity difficult to ascertain in terms of the role he plays. The villain is the Mask with Majora's demon spirit in it, not the Skull Kid himself. Skull Kid himself is nothing more than a minor side character in most games, and in the one game he's prominent, he's playing puppet to the spirit of the real villain. If he makes it in, should he be called Majora or Skull Kid? Do people want the mysterious recurring character or the MM villain?
Admitted Counterpoint: A mask can't really fight, so SK makes a good vessel to represent him in Smash, but it still makes his identity rather intangible.

Overall I don't know how to feel about his chances. At the moment I believe he is in the biggest stretch of purgatory of any potential newcomer (no MM conspiracy intended) and at this point I'm doubtful he'll make it, but also find myself not being surprised if he does. Its an anomaly.

Last edited:

Dragon lord

Lord of all Dragons
I love Majora's Mask and think Skull Kid would be great. I do have some concerns though, admittedly.

-Popular one-shot Zelda characters like Midna, Zant and Ghirahim's have been well-supported before as well and have never made it past the AT chopping block. Skull Kid got this treatment once.
Admitted counterpoint: Skull Kid as a concept has been in more games than those ones and has had his game recently remade, but it's still a valid concern.

-The Moon AT, I feel, harms his chances. Not only would it have made a great Final Smash, but it's taking an entire element of Majora: the fear and destruction it set out to unleash, and containing it in an item rather than a move set. They could've easily picked Meteor from FF7 to be an identical AT and preserve Majora's most menacing feat for a FS, but they didn't.
Admitted counterpoint: Moon is AT, Skull Kid is nowhere to be seen. Clearly some deliberation has occurred. But my point still worries me.

-I find Skull Kid's identity difficult to ascertain in terms of the role he plays. The villain is the Mask with Majora's demon spirit in it, not the Skull Kid himself. Skull Kid himself is nothing more than a minor side character in most games, and in the one game he's prominent, he's playing puppet to the spirit of the real villain. If he makes it in, should he be called Majora or Skull Kid? Do people want the mysterious recurring character or the MM villain?
Admitted Counterpoint: A mask can't really fight, so SK makes a good vessel to represent him in Smash, but it still makes his identity rather intangible.

Overall I don't know how to feel about his chances. At the moment I believe he is in the biggest stretch of purgatory of any potential newcomer (no MM conspiracy intended) and at this point I'm doubtful he'll make it, but also find myself not being surprised if he does. Its an anomaly.
Kinda shows that the only real Zelda Cycle is the "one off Zelda Villains are totally getting in smash this time!", happened with zant in brawl, happened with ghirahim in Smash 4, hopefully that Zelda cycle can break one day

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

These are valid concerns, especially the first one. I guess I'll give my point of view on them.

-This one is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing, because these disconfirmations mean that Skull Kid has little competition left. A curse, because the same fate could befall Skull Kid again. Keep in mind that Skull Kid is not one character. It's a 4-in-1 fighter (Skull Kid, Majora's Mask, Tatl and Tael). Skull Kid has appeared in a decent amount of games, but the mask itself has made even more appearances, even outside Zelda (Animal Crossing, Monster Hunter).

-I always considered Majora's Wrath the ideal Final Smash for Skull Kid. If Fierce Deity turns out to be Young Link's FS, it would make sense to have Majora's Wrath be Skull Kid's FS. After all, those two are eternal rivals.

-I guess he would be called Skull Kid, as that is what he is called in the game itself. I doubt Sakurai is concerned with this.

ShroomEL

Smash Apprentice
Please Add me to the Masked Marauders support list. Majora's Mask has stood as my favorite LoZ for a long time now, and Skull Kid is one of my 5 fav Nintendo characters. He's creepy yet awesome in design and sets a good vibe throughout the MAJORAty of the game. I apologize for that.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
His identity is "Skull Kid" by default. You can also argue "Skull Kid wearing the Majora's Mask" Its really not hard to figure out. I mean, at the beginning of MM, Skull Kid is clearly in control and Skull Kid's characteristics still remain strong until the moon is stopped by the giants. That's the version of Skull Kid that will be playable in Smash. Both sharing the same identity as he's always been looked at as. This is the obvious route Sakurai should go with the character and I believe he knows it. Haha

ChaosSharpedo

Smash Rookie
NNID
ChaosSharpedo
Switch FC
SW-8187-0600-4038
Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and I would love to see Skull Kid with Tatl & Tael and a Clock Tower Stage. Add me to the supporters list.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I think it's almost guaranteed that he isn't an AT anymore, because this guy
literally is replacing what the skull kid AT used to do, which was reverting controls. So yeah… if i had to give a %, i think he is 90% playable at this point, imo.
We do have to be careful and remember that when Shadow was an AT, there was also an item that slowed down time in the same manner. The Timer. So if Skull Kid does end up as just an AT, it still makes sense that 2 different things do the same thing. I think his chances are looking better each day, however. :)

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I had a dream last night that he just got unceremoniously disconfirmed on the website. :urg: I was very relieved when I woke up! That being said, did we get much in the way of new information between E3 and the Direct on the website? I feel like it was just music and recapping previous announcements, right?

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I had a dream last night that he just got unceremoniously disconfirmed on the website. :urg: I was very relieved when I woke up! That being said, did we get much in the way of new information between E3 and the Direct on the website? I feel like it was just music and recapping previous announcements, right?
Only music and Delfino Plaza.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Majora's Mask is still my favorite Zelda game and it's probably one of the ones I've replayed the most.

The moon doesn't necessarily have to be his Final Smash, since I see people speculating about the moon AT. He could always summon the Giants or one of the forms of Majora instead.

I also kind want him to use his flute as a weapon. That would be a nice callback to OoT.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Speaking about the Moon (seriously: wtf of WONDERFUL assist trophy is it?!?) : maybe it wasn't chosen to be SK'final smash because it's not in the line of the new final smashes: the entire point of the Moon is its slow still ineluctable fall on the Earth: it wouldn't be effective to see it falling down super fast, and it wouldn't be a good final smash of the kind of the new ones if it fell down slowly.
It's the reason why SK's finalsmash will be Majora's wrath and this means that the Moon as assist trophy is only a PRO for SK, it's not also-a-con anymore, omg, now I'm even more sure SK will be playable!!

Top Bottom