• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weird Responses

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Not everyone we know plays smash bros melee ADVANCED(With wavedash, dashdance, spacing, CC) And i think its safe to say that MOST of us have tried to explain to others what we do. So i ask you, what is the WEIRDEST response to an explaination you've ever heard? For example, someone thought wavedashing was a surf technique. xD

Kal

Smash Champion
I never get anything weird. Usually just "it's not even a real fighter" or "people take that party game seriously?"

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I never really get any weird responses either.
The biggest response I get is when I do Samus trixies (namely Extender and SWD) and people are like "WTFUUUUUUU" cuz they don't know how it works, lol.

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
People always shrug and say that they used to play it and never got into it or, are Brawl fans who say Wavedashing is useless.

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
"omg why do you just hang there like that that's ****ing gay stop being cheap"
"**** you stop grabbing me out of your shield like that"
"wtf why do you keep sliding around like that you're not even hitting me with any moves and that doesn't even do anything"
"nah I don't care about any of that, Roy's c-stick is beeeeast"
"this stage sucks. Pick Hyrule or Final Destination"
*doesn't DI* "omfg stop ****ing kicking me I can't get out of your (utilt) combos. *gets free and Falcon Kick SDs twice in a row*
*He's getting pummeled* Me: "all you need to do to get out of that is wiggle the analog back and forth quickly"
Him: "no, this works better" *proceeds to hurriedly jam all buttons at once and accidentally pauses several times*

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Actually mashing buttons *is* pretty legit to get out of grabs, since it allows you to do the correct DI on the throw ;) (wiggling the control stick back and forth when at high percent in a peach grab is a pretty surefire way to get killed ^^)

I don't usually get stupid responses, since by the time people actually get to play with me, they've been forced to endure my rambling about how great this game is for HOURS :D

Planet Piss

Smash Journeyman
Actually mashing buttons *is* pretty legit to get out of grabs, since it allows you to do the correct DI on the throw ;) (wiggling the control stick back and forth when at high percent in a peach grab is a pretty surefire way to get killed ^^)
Not if you're watching for the throw animations. When she reaches back to slap I just steering wheel DI both sticks from northwest to slightly past north and is generally works very well.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I don't "tell" anyone how I play, I just do it and beat them using mostly good spacing and reaction to obvious things. Anyone who's bad just picks Kirby and uses down B, and anyone who's decent knows about AT's anyway.

Warhawk

Smash Lord
Surprisingly most people I've met actually take what I say to heart and try to learn some AT's. Most of the stuff I get yelled at for is hitting people when they are already dead and chainthrowing.

DeadLastClown

Smash Apprentice
"wtf why do you keep sliding around like that you're not even hitting me with any moves and that doesn't even do anything"
*doesn't DI* "omfg stop ****ing kicking me I can't get out of your (utilt) combos. *gets free and Falcon Kick SDs twice in a row*
*He's getting pummeled* Me: "all you need to do to get out of that is wiggle the analog back and forth quickly"
Him: "no, this works better" *proceeds to hurriedly jam all buttons at once and accidentally pauses several times*
Lmao, you hit the nail right on the head.

Bing

Smash Master
My friends that I get to play with think what I do is Amazing. They ask what the hell it is Im doing, and how to do it...

Im "Training" like 8 people in my region <-- Im not very good, in comparison to the real pros, but Im a God in their eyes.. XD

Bones0

Smash Legend
I did the Yo-Yo Glitch with Ness and put on the thunder jacket. I stood still on a platform as a newb Falcon came running at me. I taunt. He gets sent flying and dies.

"OMG THAT'S SO CHEAP"
"Not really. It's pretty hard to set it up just right so that-"
"NO IT'S CHEAP."

Violence

Smash Lord
"Samus is so cheap... try not playing a top tier, ****."

"I'd love to see you try and beat me with Jigglypuff."

spaced bair>randoms

Bing

Smash Master
"Samus is so cheap... try not playing a top tier, ****."

"I'd love to see you try and beat me with Jigglypuff."

spaced bair>randoms
The exact reason why I mained Puff when I first got the game. Everyone thought Jiggly was horrible, worse than Kirby. So then I'd beat them as puff. And my friends would be all like "OMFG WTF YOU'RE SO ****"

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
"omg i was so badass at that game id totally own u"
I get that a lot. Then I 4stock them with Kirby. Although one day I suicided 3 times to make it look more fair.

I haven't really gotten any weird responses, other than this conversation:
Me: "I'm wavedashing."
Other guy: "I don't see anything."
Me: "See how I'm sliding back and forth?"
Other guy: "I don't see it."
Unfortunately he was serious.

Also, there was the time when I tried explaining to someone that Brawl was slow. He had a lot of trouble understanding that.
Me: "It's a slow game."
Other other guy: "What do you mean?"
Me: I was like "Well, the characters move slowly, and they attack slowly, and the physics are slow."
Other other guy: "So it runs slowly on your Wii?"
Me: "No, it runs fine on my Wii. It's just a slow game."
Other other guy: "So it runs slowly on your Wii?"
He was serious too.

My friends think my Ganon is like a god compared to them. Which is funny, since I've been playing for about 4 months (less time than they've been playing) and I have yet to win a match in a tournament.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
The discussion was on the Ganon boards WAY before it was on the Kirby boards. The only difference is the Kirby boards took it semi-seriously, when it was only intended as a joke.

Bing

Smash Master
Lol I dont go on the Ganon boards... though I should... need to learn more about Ganon because of my lack of Knowledge... other than space well and tech even better.

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
I was showing some guy at work a video of me and a friend playing. At some point in the video i jump to the ledge to edgeguard and grab it. he comments "whoops, almost died there!"

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Its just wierd how you seem very good when you are actually quite terrible and dealing with the inherent hypocracy is tough

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
Ha ha so true.

MasterShake

Smash Lord
noob: "I bet you can't beat me with jigglypuff! She's the worst!"

Me: *owns*

noob: "...who do you think is the worst character?"

Me: "Maybe Mewtwo..."

noob: "All right, play Mewtwo then!"

Me: *owns with Mewtwo*

noob: "..."

King5280

Smash Journeyman
noob: "I bet you can't beat me with jigglypuff! She's the worst!"

Me: *owns*

noob: "...who do you think is the worst character?"

Me: "Maybe Mewtwo..."

noob: "All right, play Mewtwo then!"

Me: *owns with Mewtwo*

noob: "..."
you think mewtwo is the worst character?

Landry

Smash Ace
I really like playing with my friends despite some of them not taking it seriously. We normally just do teams and pit me against my other friend who also is pretty good. My roommates who don't take it seriously still seem to have fun but I can understand how the get frustrated by ledgehoging and other things that they don't really understand. It's sort of easier to just play Brawl with them at that point (ewww) cause they feel like they have more of a chance.

Top Bottom