• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Matchup Discussion - Mr. Game & Watch

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I don't even remember seeing that link lol.
And Olimar doesn't have the advantage over G&W. I just don't see it. I can see it being even, and I can also see it tilting in our favor slightly, but Olimar just doesn't perform as well versus a competent Game & Watch compared to the bad G&W experience you seem to have mjg. Also, G&W rules. TL sucks.

G&W should only take people like Snake to Japes.
Prepare for Brinstar instead, Tin Man.

Also, platforms ENHANCE G&W's air game, not hinder it. It's a trade off between approaching and punishing that much harder, and it's really a worthwhile trade as G&W has the mobility to get in, and then when he does get in the reward is so much greater on a place like Lylat.

also hi coud :>

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
olimar does beat G&W, mainly because of lack of mixups G&W has in approaching, theres about a 50% chance for olimar to stop his approaches, and if olimar spaces right even if he misses he can normally be relatively safe from punish by G&W

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
G&W can get in fine. He doesn't lack mixups.
I don't know where you get that 50% from but whatever.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
i agree with dabuz, i used to fight OBM who used to be debated one of the top, and he really doesn't have any mixups. not nearly as many mixups as we can use to counter his approach, (not that they are needed because pivot grab is amazing). 55-45 olimar favor, 60-40 at best. i don't think it's quite in our favor to say 60-40 though, 55-45

MJG

Smash Hero
I don't even remember seeing that link lol.
And Olimar doesn't have the advantage over G&W. I just don't see it. I can see it being even, and I can also see it tilting in our favor slightly, but Olimar just doesn't perform as well versus a competent Game & Watch compared to the bad G&W experience you seem to have mjg. Also, G&W rules. TL sucks.

G&W should only take people like Snake to Japes.
Prepare for Brinstar instead, Tin Man.

Also, platforms ENHANCE G&W's air game, not hinder it. It's a trade off between approaching and punishing that much harder, and it's really a worthwhile trade as G&W has the mobility to get in, and then when he does get in the reward is so much greater on a place like Lylat.

also hi coud :>
How could you possibly know that I have bad GnW experience? LOL

I guess its not easy to distinguish jokes over the internet but my last post was a joke (outside of factual statements)

BUT...GnW is pretty telegraphed

Fino

Smash Master
I guess that's why some scrub olimar (aka me) beat UTD_Zac, 2-0.
I have 0 G&W exp... and UTD is the best G&W in the nation (living in a region of 4-5 olimars that regularly go to the same tournaments as him)....
G&W just dominates this MU =/

~Fino

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
UTD Zac is the best G&W, but he obviously isn't perfect, nor does he play him in such a manner to base matchups off of. I doubt Zac has Olimar experience under his belt, and when G&W has no exp in the matchup it's obviously in your favor.

When he does I just dont see it.

All of MJG's posts are a jokes. What a bad poster.

Zori

Smash Champion
i never played zac in friendly's or tournament i usually avoid him actually, so if hes getting olimar experience its not from me

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
MR. escalator guy, show us a lot of recent matches where a good G&W beats an about equally good olimar and then we will will consider calling it your advantage, MKAY?

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Who's Mr E?

G&W vs Olimar is actually a pretty **** even matchup, though I do think it's ultimately in our favor by like 55:45 or something;
I bolded that part for emphasis. I, personally, think the G&W and Olimar matchup is close to even in our favor. However, a more agreeable ratio would definitely be an even matchup, one that I think we can agree on (I know quite a few G&W's dont agree with it in your favor so it balances out).

I don't really have to show videos to prove a point as a video doesn't demonstrate the matchup as a whole, it just illustrates an example of what is done right/wrong/etc. I could post a video of G&W wrecking a competent Olimar to showcase that G&W doesnt have an issue getting in close to Olimar and starting a string, and all that would be said would be "Olimar didnt know the matchup" or something of that nature. I don't have such a video, to be fair, but video evidence is not something I personally value by a lot. Not to mention, Olimar and G&W going at it at high levels of play is hella rare :/

You guys havent really "proven" Olimar has the edge either.

What I'm trying to say is that the 55:45 matchup is my opinion but I think it would end up averaging out as 50-50 between the two boards, and that would likely be a more accurate depiction of the matchup than just you guys all calling it advantage without input from us (though from the sounds of it you guys tried).

In the end, feel free to put the matchup as any ratio you want. The ratio has never actually mattered in any matchup, though it seems to be a hot commodity. I wont complain if you guys put it as a solid advantage, I'm just here giving my input!

Fino

Smash Master
What competent G&W's have you played recently?
Also, I'm not able to go to Pound.
I think I've already mentioned 2-0'ing UTD_Zac in a set... and if he isn't competent (while still being the best) than I don't know what "competent" means.
I like how you tried to avoid my question, so I'll ask it again - What competent olimars have you played recently? (Note: wifi doesn't mean anything)

~Fino

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
None excluding wifi.
And yet, this means nothing, so what is your point?

It's also assumed competent is also in regards to knowing the matchup. You should ask Zac if he actually knew how to fight Olimar. If he has then I will accept that, otherwise, I don't care if you fought and beat M2K if he hadnt know anything about Olimar, and I wouldnt accept it as evidence towards to Olimar v MK matchup.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I couldn't help but laugh at the "Mr. E" thing. X3

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Everyone does it on IRC it makes me really upset :<
Speaking of which Coud stopped coming on IRC. What da heck mang.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Well, #smash is just like... Colin making everyone play Hearts and Canasta now. It's boring.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
You have my apologies for derailing the conversation. That was not my intention.
You don't have to be such a turd about it though, Fino. T_T

Noa.

Smash Master
Escalator, G&W doesn't have the advantage. At all. It's not even either. List more than one approach that G&W has that isn't beat by pivot grab. Give me some advantageous situations for G&W, and how he can set them up. Oli's advantages have been shown already as well.

And if iirc, you only play online don't you?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
How do you deal with short hopped rising n-air approaches?

Noa.

Smash Master
For G&W to use rising nair on you, he has to get near you on the ground first. G&W's ground approaches are nullified and if he jumps from farther, he's more telegraphed.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Olimar beats Gdubs

There's simply no safe approach. Olimar is too mobile, so it's hard to land a bair, and even if GnW lands till possible for olimar to DI out of it. It's really hard for GnW to land a nair too, unless Olimar is in the air. But getting Olimar in the air is pretty hard for Gdubs. Purples kill GnW around 70, and Uair goes through key. He's easy to pivot grab, and it is really easy to see smashes coming. Our smashes outrange his, so we just gotta keep those Fsmashes coming and not roll a lot and we are fine.

60-40 Olimar imo, although I could settle for 55-45.

Top Bottom