• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Matchup Discussion - Mr. Game & Watch

Greward

Smash Lord
i dunno why do you want to do toon link if nobody is having problems with him and dabuz is asking for help against wario lol

I think we should do the matchups we are going to play more in tourneys and olimar has problems against...

Zori

Smash Champion
i dunno why do you want to do toon link if nobody is having problems with him and dabuz is asking for help against wario lol

I think we should do the matchups we are going to play more in tourneys and olimar has problems against...

good point......

Zori

Smash Champion
kinda too late for that

has any board actually finished a match up list for all match ups? something always happens to these topics

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The game and watch discussion isn't actually over, is it? If you want to suggest the next matchup we discuss, do so in the main matchup thread, not this one.

Noa.

Smash Master
1st post :bee:

Long range: We win cause we can out camp him, forcing him to approach

Medium range: We still win with our grab range, F smash, spam

Short range: G&W wins, grab -> Dthrow -> Dsmash works if we don't tech. G&W Bair out prioritizes anything we have (not our upB) and eats our tiny sheild away. G&W can easily gimp us.

G&W advantages: G&W is overall faster, on the ground an in the air. We won't keep him away forever. His U air can work wonders against us.

Olimar advantages: Pivot grab all G&W's aerial approaches, his ground approaches aren't that amazing.

In the Air: G&W wins, Whistling doesn't work vs Bair, and he can Uair juggle us. Has superior air speed, and we have no momentum shift moves, therefore we can virtually not escape it.
I usually just SDI up and out of the turtle. I'll have to try DIing down (into a dsmash I suppose? Jab maybe?), Icylight.

Also, don't focus on punishing the turtle, guys. Focus on preventing it from hitting your shield in the first place. That means pivotgrabbing it if they space it incorrectly, or if you're REALLY confident in your ability to DI out of if, even jumping straight into it could work in your favor. Then you can immediately begin to DI up and out into a nair or something.

Dabuz, I haven't actually tried this yet, but against turtle->upb would jumping [back] out of shield-> upb be a good way to punish it? I suppose it really just depends on which way they upb. If they space the turtle really well and upb straight out and away from you, you may be able to jump at them and do it. *shrugs*
A way to punish G&W's bair to parachute is jumping OoS and into the draft that sends you upward. Of course, you have to space very well so that you don't get hit by the hitbox and still get drawn up by the draft. G&W has invincibility frames during upB, but at the peak and while he's taking out the parachute you can use an aerial on him, depending on spacing.

Punishing bair in general. Depends on the variation. You shouldn't try to shield it and should try pivot grabbing it or jumping into it and SDIing it to punish. If he full hops the bair, after it leaves your shield shorthop and uair.

When it comes to camping, if you shorhop camp, G&W might be able to dtilt the pikmin before the pikmin hit him due to spacing. Just make sure to aim a little higher and for his head if he's using dtilt. G&W can handle pikmin traveling to his head by using nair, but then his underside is vulnerable. G&W can handle pikmin, but switching your aiming often you'll be able to get some damage on him with it.

When you're in close range, G&W's fastest option is jab, which is 4 frames, the same as ours. Jab is you think he isn't going to shield.

Something I've been wondering. ZSS's jab is shield grabbable if they do the full jab, just like ours. But G&W can't shieldgrab their full grab, due to weight, size and etc. I'm wondering if G&W is also vulnerable to our full jab.

To tech the dthrow, shield right after the beep that G&W's produces when he slams you. Or when you're reaching the last frame where you're shrunken. The shield button has to be hit right before you hit the ground, but you should be able to predict it since it takes a while for G&W to actually throw. Practice it a little. I can tech G&W's dthrow with most characters since I'm so good at it. =p

I'll post some more later, but this is in Oli's favor imo. I've played this matchup on both sides, and G&W's approaches are extremely limited in this matchup.
i used to vs. OBM a lot in my region before he went inactive, and all i would do is not get hit by bair and tech his dthrow and i had no problems with anything G&W could do. spamming pivot grabs really destroys gnw, and try to bring him to yoshis it's my favorite stage to fight gnw on

can you utilt through his bair?
Fair and UpB are other edgeguarding options G&W has. If you see G&W positioning himself under you then just be wary of UpB. It's pretty telegraphed though. When G&W is approacing you horizontally or diagonally he'll probably use fair. Fair kills early offstage, but only when they sweetspot it, which is within the first few frames.

I played a G&W yesterday. Pivot grab just ***** G&W. Really badly. If he dairs, pivot grab. If he bairs pivot grab. Ground approaches are easy to deal with.

Use jab when he's near so that he can't use smashes. If you see him charging a smash, just wait for it to end, or just run in and shield.
So the gist of this match up is to Pivot grab literally everything he does. Whats he gonna do, throw bacon? :laugh:

Wow..Olimar match up discussions are so much more productive than the TL boards.

Pivot Grab is useful in this match up.

Noa/Fino covered mostly everything..

GnW's move-set is pretty telegraphed.

After a certain percent for toonlink, GnW cannot down smash toonlink after a down throw. Is this the same case with olimar? If so, then you might want to tech his down throw as icy stated earlier (I usually just get up and use U-tilt/Bair); you might even want to get ready to use your c stick if the GnW tech chases you. I usually press "A" to jab in order to prevent getting Up Smashed, but I think olimar's jab would get severely punished by GnW's Up Smash..

I think battlefield would be pretty even for both olimar and GnW in this match up seeing as how you can hit GnW easily when he is on the platform and GnW has his Nair combo's when you are standing on the platform.

I know some of you are comfortable with playing on RC, but I would recommend banning it against Olimar. Frigate isn't too bad of a stage to play GnW on..Stay on the left side of the beginning transformation and control the middle of the second transformation.

A big stage that would allow you to spam Side - B would be ideal in this match up ;o

<3 you all.

EDIT: GnW's Dair will out range olimar's up air (Im sure you all knew this), unless you hit him at a certain angle but that is still very hard.
i just spam pivot grab like it's the gnw mu, it's pretty much the same thing but replace gnw bair with wario dair. oh an you can grab him off his bike LAWLZ

tldr;
Pivot grab G&W. :bee:

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Well im pissed. I fight this G@w on the aib ladder actually using olimar. All he did was spam dair then fsmash. Then sometimes he'll bair out of nowhere. Then he just usmashes to kill when im high in the air. For some reason i cant ****ing punish him. I pivot grab his dair perfectly but for some reason he gets all these other hits on me afterwards. It was so gay. Was it wifi? Or do i just suck this much. Im sorry it sounds like im johning but seriously. Is G@W this gay on wifi or do i just suck.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
One more thing. What's a final verdict on stages? :p

Top three neutrals? (since two will probably get struck)
Two or three CPs?
What do we ban? What should we prepare for?

I don't really mind whites in this matchup, tbh. GW approaching us with turtle is entirely different from GW getting pikmin off of him. Usually if GW is rushing to get off pikmin, he's open. And if he's coming at us with a turtle, and there's a white on him, he's gonna take some damage, and it's likely the turtle wont even hit the pikmin. Other than that, I don't really know. Purples are great in the matchup, as they always are. Yellows, I'm not sure if they're as good as they usually are for us, since we're going to out range him or he'll outrange us regardless of what pikmin we're attacking with, due to his disjointedness. Kinda like lucario, imo. I think the extra damage from Blues/Reds may be better for us.

Llumys

Smash Champion
Ban Rainbow Cruise. :D How's Halberd as a counterpick int his match-up? I like the extra space in the second area.

I'm not sure about neutrals.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Aren't FD and SV better neutrals in this matchup since he can easily Nair through the platforms on BF and YI?
FD and SV also give us more room.

IcyLight

Smash Lord
g&w is like unbeatable on wifi as oli, it's so **** hard.

NEUTRALS

1) yoshis -- mid platform kills his air game, or so it seems, just be wary of his diagonal dtilt on the edges when recovering

2) FD -- run spam moar :D :D :D :D :D

3) BF -- platforms, very nice to stay below him and run around with pivot grabs, it's a lot harder for him to fall through a platform and aerial us, since he has to wait until AFTER he passes below platform to aerial. this limits his air game and forces an approach from more of the side, = moar pivot grabs

Keep in mind, all neutrals are better for us in this mu than they are for G&W. So it doesn't matter what you pick, go for preferences imo, or fd. lylat if you like space, yoshis if you love pivot grab spamming

COUNTERPICKS

1) Halberd -- run awayyyy spam moar :D :D :D :D :D

2) FD -- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

3) Neutrals.

To be honest, G&W has no bad stages, just make sure you ban rainbow cruise unless you are me or fino <3 it's all about preference. Bring him to a stage you are extremely fluent on or enjoy.

Oh, ban Brinstar if you are not good on that stage and would rather go to Rainbow Cruise. G&W mains usually love brinstar, and i can't agree that it's a good stage for oli, depends on your play style (me being a non-campy olimar i have no problems here, but extremely campy/defensive ones may have a lot of trouble here)

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
To be fair I think Olimar does better on wifi than G&W lol.
Though this doesn't matter! I can't believe I missed this discussion.

I'm just going to throw in some quick input seeing as you guys are in fact wrapping this up.

G&W vs Olimar is actually a pretty **** even matchup, though I do think it's ultimately in our favor by like 55:45 or something; fighting Olimar is generally annoying, but if you play it right G&W has a slight mechanical advantage. Smart use of your pivot grab is something you'll want to be doing often.

Anyway, getting to the actual point being discussed, I think you should do this in stage striking. Assuming it's 5 starters you want to first get rid of Lylat and then BF. He'll likely get rid of FD and YI. Ultimately, it comes down to pure preference on both sides, as IcyLight said. I would personally always ban FD as a G&W in this matchup, and would much rather attempt to fight Olimar on platformed stages with the exception of YI unless I know the Olimar player dislikes it. SV is fine, but it's typically best to try and get to Lylat as G&W, or so I am of the opinion (I think it's a better starter than BF, but it gets banned first so often I don't get the chance to do a lot of matchups there).

As for bans, it depends on what's available and what you would rather prefer. If you are personally good on Brinstar go ahead and ban RC and vice versa, but each of them give him a solid advantage to work with. He likes both.

G&W should usually always consider banning FD first in most matchups, so your best CP usually lies in Halberd or other neutrals. Some Game & Watch players really like Halberd though so just make sure you are confident in your ability to play that stage.

MJG

Smash Hero
G&W vs Olimar is actually a pretty **** even matchup, though I do think it's ultimately in our favor by like 55:45 or something; fighting Olimar is generally annoying, but if you play it right G&W has a slight mechanical advantage. Smart use of your pivot grab is something you'll want to be doing often.
Assuming that both the GnW main and the Olimar main knows the match up well, it should be roughly 55:45 Olimar or 50:50

The only possible problem I could see in this match up is not knowing how to play on stages that GnW excels at (like icy stated) and when olimar is above his opponent (Even worse in this match up since the GnW can combo with Nair IMO). Olimars already know that Pivot Grab will be their best friend :)

Oh..GnW sucks :p

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That actually brings up a good point.
From what I've seen, we have had a lot of Olimars and a Toon Link contributing.
Mr. Esc is the first G&W player. Perhaps we should invite people in more often to get the opposing viewpoint.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
yeah we need input from the people that main the other characters

Top three neutrals? (since two will probably get struck):

FD (run and spam)

Yoshi's (Middle platform ruins G&W air game, and the ghost can potentially stop gimps

Lylat (The platforms also stop his air game (watch out for Dair, goes through)) and it is harder for G&W to recover cause of the stages edges.

Two or three CPs?

Halberd (Low ceiling helps us)

FD

Lylat

What do we ban? What should we prepare for?

Ban rainbow cruise, prepare for Jungle japes, and frigate

Top Bottom