• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Toon Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davexen

Smash Rookie
I think everyone should at least give TL a try. I main him at the moment, I just love to dair someone, after which I use up+B to finish him off =)
Love the guy, with the big head of his <3

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
He means not a lot of recognizable people.

mariofanpm12

Smash Ace
Toon Link owns. 'Nuff said.

Just kidding!

He's alright, and probably a bit underrated. You just have to learn exactly how to play him and not just play him lightly. Most people think that simply abusing his projectiles at any time does the job. In reality, you must us ecertain ones for certain times

BrawlerChief

Smash Rookie
ToonLink is my main ftw. It would of been original Link, but he's just slower and hit's less %, but the only this bad about ToonLink is only because he has no Balls :/
Aidan (Chief)

Alzi

Smash Master
That Triforce IceDX posted is FAKE!

I also did a awsome edge guard with him today =] Also did some DAirs and was happy not to see me miss and die. His edge guarding is godly.

ToyzSoldier

Smash Apprentice
Wow since when did this become a spamfest?

#1) He does not have good approach options. True he is quick enough on the ground, but his move from dash are not good options for approaching. Grabbing is way too risky; and Dash Attack, Usmash, and Up-B are also easily punished. If you attempt to approach from the air, you run across Toon Link's major downfall - he is too floaty for the aerial attacks he has. Uair and Dair are not viable options for approach; and Fair, Bair, and Nair all can be punished pretty easily if shielded since Toon Link is left vulnerable for a significant time after each of these attacks. In other words, he has a very poor air-to-ground game, and he cannot really space his attacks enough to use the Marth/DK pressure tactics.
I'd agree with all of this except his ariel approach. His floatiness helps him because he can nair, fair, bair and even if they shield the attack, he can DI away. And if thats enough quickdraw an arrow upon landing, boomerang, or even zair. Where do you come off saying his floatiness is a weakness?

crewster

Smash Lord
Toon Link is a great character yet underated. He has great projectile spamming for when you playing people like Ike who don't have any projectiles. But he is unique scince he can do loads of hand to hand combos. What I can't get is why he is so underated about 3 people play him well (I don't consider myself one of those three).

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
Im a master so ill give my advice. ok finishers? the stongest is midair uair. that doesnt make it the best tho. this can be easily stopped by simply thowing a bomb downward right into the face. if ur brave you can even dsmash them from that attack. nair is simply an awesome finisher. It aint that strong but it is the number 1 easiest way to hit someone. shield, jump, then nair. unstoppable.bair is the same. very easy but once again they must be HIGH.fsmash is killer but some ppl are so skilled they can dodge that move left and right. me being one who can do that. :D My favorite has to be dsmash. with quick speed and power its awesome. thats the one i would reccomend....

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
He was overrated back in March when everyone theorycrafted him up to be a lock for top tier.
I missed the whole era of "people thinking Toon Link is top tier".
I must have been hibernating in March. =/

Lobos

Smash Master
The toon link community needs to step it up, been to quiet around here. Anything new to report? We need something newwwwww!!!!

I'm working on R-canceling....... :p

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
....................What am I missing? <_<

Conker315

Smash Lord
Yea that was me :)
I saw you play zori..i was basically behind u man.
I dont know why i didnt play you...after i got my match with zori you played...i was watching ure TL and was amazed of the quickness it has.After that i think i went outside or something so yea.Sorry for not playing you..and i really wanted 2 also T-T

Santi

Smash Lord
Yea that was me :)
I saw you play zori..i was basically behind u man.
I dont know why i didnt play you...after i got my match with zori you played...i was watching ure TL and was amazed of the quickness it has.After that i think i went outside or something so yea.Sorry for not playing you..and i really wanted 2 also T-T
Oh good. Glad you saw those matches =) they were pretty close.

I'll probably be at the next HOBO so we can get in some friendlies if you want. I want practice against other TL's. Plus we can talk strats and such =)

Conker315

Smash Lord
Who won out of the match i really didnt see the last fight.Only thing i remember is that both of you guys where at high percentage XD
Yea hopefully u do go to the next hobo and of course we will have friendlies.
I need practice against other TL users also..from what i saw it was only you and me that mained Tl there.
Also strats would be nice :3
and if its possible you could teach me some ****...youll be like my sensei :p

Santi

Smash Lord
Who won out of the match i really didnt see the last fight.Only thing i remember is that both of you guys where at high percentage XD
Yea hopefully u do go to the next hobo and of course we will have friendlies.
I need practice against other TL users also..from what i saw it was only you and me that mained Tl there.
Also strats would be nice :3
and if its possible you could teach me some ****...youll be like my sensei :p
I won both. But they were both really close.

Yep I think it was just us two.

Hah def. I could help.

You already got some sick Olimar matchup stuff =)

Conker315

Smash Lord
Ohh gj on winning them.

Im glad you can help =)

and yes i did get sick olimar matchup stuff..Zori's olimar is really good.

Santi

Smash Lord
Ohh gj on winning them.

Im glad you can help =)

and yes i did get sick olimar matchup stuff..Zori's olimar is really good.
Thanks.

Yea I heard his Oli was pretty sick that's why I wanted to play it.
I aslo had to play stiltz Olimar in tourney.

Conker315

Smash Lord
man is stiltsz even better? well of course...
His olimar got him 1st place ^^ so it must be deadly.
I wana play him on the next hobo..hopefully i do

mimic_king

Smash Lord
I don't think toon link should be top tier, but should she be at least high tier. He surpasses link in almost every way.

He is very fast, which leads to quicker combos and making it hard to recover from the combos. His bombs are weaker, but they can be thrown farther and they have a greater blast radius. His arrows can also be shot farther away and faster, but then again they are weaker. His up b draws enemies in for multiple attacks instead of knocking them away, and it goes higher than link's too, making it a good recovery, unlike link's which is one of the worst recoveries in the game. His boomerang is once again weaker and it can't draw enemies in, but you can control the direction of it before you throw it. Plus it's faster and goes farther. He takes another step on the second attack of his forward smash, increasing its range. Some disadvantages that toon link has is that he is light and his Dair charges straight down, which leads to constant accidental suicides. His up a is a single strike instead of multiple strikes.

Overall, toon link is a very good character. He may be weaker than link, but he has greater range and speed, which both surpass strength in every way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom