• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Toon Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Link

Smash Rookie
His boomerang is once again weaker and it can't draw enemies in, but you can control the direction of it before you throw it. Plus it's faster and goes farther.
Oh, aren´t you able to control Links boomerang? Everyone can control it. And is it really faster? I think not. Will test it, than edit.

Ginger_Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I see. But i still think that its not faster than Links! But this is difficult to test^^
There is one easy way to test it - throw the 'rang straight in front of you, time how long it takes to come back. Do it for both. See whose is quicker.

I've generally found TL's 'rang tends to 'float around' a bit more though. As in, when it reaches the end of its range, it stays there longer than Link's. Why that would be useful knowledge in battle, I have no idea >_>

mimic_king

Smash Lord
i guess some idiots can still jump into the rang while it's at its end. idiots wont do this against link i guess.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
i guess some idiots can still jump into the rang while it's at its end. idiots wont do this against link i guess.
I'm an idiot and I've beaten some good Links. P=

You said I guess twice.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
that wasnt the point. you can still beat a link after he does that. that is just a tactic, and i dont even know if that's the proper application for that technique.

by the way, i know what i said. i said i guess twice. do you now know that i know what i said in my post?

mimic_king

Smash Lord
What was Yogesh doing? Probably being the typical Indian advertiser. Trust me, I'm Indian myself.

Anyway, Toon Link is a great character

dekushrub

Smash Rookie
Toon Link really is a great character and it makes me sad to see people under rate him so much. In a competitive match recently i was able to take out a good metaknight with spacing, projectiles and the right finishing moves. I feel like the key to Toon Link is rolling around and spamming the projectiles until high damage and then pulling out a couple short range attacks for the kill. I know he isn't as great as meta knight, falco, snake, or rob but he really deserves to be much higher than where he is on the current "official" tier list

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
TL is very, very versatile. You can play both defensively and offensively with him. I personally like to use TL offensively, though. If you watch videos by Santi it just shows how easily you can rack up the damage with him. Another thing to take into consideration is projectiles. Even if TL is not the best smasher, projectiles can easily keep your opponent away from you and give you time to rack up damage. Stringing combos together with projectiles is easy as well, and I think he is underestimated by many people. He should be higher on the tier list in my opinion.

Dairantou boy X

Smash Rookie
personally, i think toon link is a cool character 2 play with. i mean, he's not as strong as link, but his advantage lies mainly in his speed and his jump. also, what makes him unique from link is his meteor smash (down mid-air smash) which allows toon link 2 plummet. however, if misused that move can b suicidal. and there's the fact that he's lighter than link. other than that, i find nothing wrong with him. he's basically a faster and lighter version of link with some minor tweaks. i think that if 1 is good at playing with link, he/she can also play as toon link with ease. to me, it's just a matter of preference.

Dairantou boy X

Smash Rookie
This is where u said it.

Hm, Toon Link has been fairly successful here so far, even took a small tournament. He's been one of my secondaries since the start of Brawl and still works well for me. He's quick, pretty strong, has a good projectile game and a good recovery. Downsides are that he's light, doesn't have much range and his aerials are easily dodged because they're all quick single hits. I think he's high tier-ish at the moment. Definitely one to keep an eye on.
this is the thread that u posted.

deadpoe7

Smash Apprentice
I have a question, TL-mainers: Is TL's dair useless when playing against skilled opponents?

I love the move, but it just seems like it could be relegated to the "never use unless you get a shield break" pile along with Ganon's Warlock Punch, etc.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You use it when you have to.
Just like every other move.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
no, like you know exactly when someone is going to do it. That doesn't apply to everything.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
no, like you know exactly when someone is going to do it. That doesn't apply to everything.
Yes, yes it does. =)
Dair is just MORE predictable.
But everything is predicable.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
well duh. that's called repetition. You can't exactly know what someone's first move is going to be. You don't always know if someone is going to grab you either. That's is what I meant by being predictable.

XtACY

Smash Journeyman
Toon link is so underatedm when mk gets banned toon link will do a lot better in tourneys. From his projectiles to his short hop. He is top 5 in brawl. He has very strong moves and is pretty quick. And he can spike XD

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Toon link is so underatedm when mk gets banned toon link will do a lot better in tourneys. From his projectiles to his short hop. He is top 5 in brawl. He has very strong moves and is pretty quick. And he can spike XD
Top 5 in Brawl w/o MK:

Snake
Mr. GameWatch
Falco
King Daydayday
Marth

Those guys close to gayness:

(EDIT: Maybe some Robot love is in place) R.O.B.
Wario
Lucario

Sorry. ._.

He doesn't wreck anyone who doesn't already suck, fails at killing reliably at high levels of play, is kinda screwed if he's constantly pressured by close-range combat (read MK + Marth), doesn't camp as well as Falco, Snake, or ROB, has a linear recovery that is screwed if you lose your second jump. Has issues with creating safe openings for approaches that are also easy to execute...

As you can see, he is outdone by everyone in upper-high to top in at least one area. He's not amazing enough to be top 5.

Yes guys, I am not in a uber happy mood.

XtACY

Smash Journeyman
Top 5 in Brawl w/o MK:

Snake
Mr. GameWatch
Falco
King Daydayday
Marth

Those guys close to gayness:

(EDIT: Maybe some Robot love is in place) R.O.B.
Wario
Lucario

Sorry. ._.

He doesn't wreck anyone who doesn't already suck, fails at killing reliably at high levels of play, is kinda screwed if he's constantly pressured by close-range combat (read MK + Marth), doesn't camp as well as Falco, Snake, or ROB, has a linear recovery that is screwed if you lose your second jump. Has issues with creating safe openings for approaches that are also easy to execute...

As you can see, he is outdone by everyone in upper-high to top in at least one area. He's not amazing enough to be top 5.

Yes guys, I am not in a uber happy mood.
Yeah yeah your right. Lets say top 10 than. I got nothin to worry with him cause i play with/main g&w. Tl is my secondary. But besides that tl=top 10

Sense

Smash Rookie
Toon Link is by far the most underrated character. All of his projectiles make him quit deadly. His light body make him jump really well. Toon Link will always be my main. Or will it?

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Please don't bump things that are months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom