• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Weekly Character Discussion: Luigi

Delvro

Smash Ace
R.O.B. in my experience is a fairly tough one for Luigi. R.O.B. has plenty of options to deal with just about any Luigi approach you can think of, and is annoying as heck from a distance. In the air, R.O.B. has great range, speed with uair and fair, and priority. Offstage, we all know how R.O.B. kicks arse there.

35/65 imo

At least we have wario... he's ezsauce for luigi

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
Robert isn't bad, comon now. I played against a great one at a tournament friendly, and even without knowing the matchup at all almost won. Now high tiers who do have an easy time with are Wario and Diddy. Falco is easy too.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Huh...

Reading this makes me worry what the SBR synopsis will be on Mario...

I sense a lot of raging in the future.

TheMann

Smash Ace
Wait... when did this discussion come up? Why wasn't I informed? :(

It would have been fun to debate too...

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Today I fough a friend, he was G&W and I was Luigi, he started camping at the ledge and then I got near him and down smashed him and he got spiked, can someone explain me what happened? and Btw I got the replay if you want to see.
Luigi down smash spikes too??!!??!! Down taunt spikes, Down Air spikes(very hard to land it), Down tilt spikes too!! and now Down smash??!!
Luigi's a spike machine, but they're all hard to land them on the enemy

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Today I fough a friend, he was G&W and I was Luigi, he started camping at the ledge and then I got near him and down smashed him and he got spiked, can someone explain me what happened? and Btw I got the replay if you want to see.
Luigi down smash spikes too??!!??!! Down taunt spikes, Down Air spikes(very hard to land it), Down tilt spikes too!! and now Down smash??!!
Luigi's a spike machine, but they're all hard to land them on the enemy
This would be awesome to test.

Theory 1: It did spike.
Theory 2: His DI was weird and he pointed his DI into the stage and got stage spiked?
Theory 3: It just stage spiked weirdly.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
This would be awesome to test.

Theory 1: It did spike.
Theory 2: His DI was weird and he pointed his DI into the stage and got stage spiked?
Theory 3: It just stage spiked weirdly.
This was very weird though, He was like just a centimeter before grabbing the ledge and I down smashed and he got spiked, he didnt had contact with the stage so he coudnt got stage spiked, very weird

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Robert isn't bad, comon now. I played against a great one at a tournament friendly, and even without knowing the matchup at all almost won. Now high tiers who do have an easy time with are Wario and Diddy. Falco is easy too.
Robert?

"facepalm"

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
This was very weird though, He was like just a centimeter before grabbing the ledge and I down smashed and he got spiked, he didnt had contact with the stage so he coudnt got stage spiked, very weird
Hmm, I remember this happening once to me too, just as he was about to grab the edge...

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Hmm, I remember this happening once to me too, just as he was about to grab the edge...
Yup today It happened again so I think I now know how that weird spike works Ima try 2 add it to my gameplay =P

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Ok now I got video proof for this "theory"
Linky:http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JF4IjC_goZk

It doesn't spike. He STAGESPIKED IT. If you stop at 0:06, you can clearly see GaW justDI'd towards the edge, trying to grab the edge, as Luigi used the dsmash on the edge and his leg his hitbox was sticking out. So basically GaW jumped into it and got staged spiked.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
It doesn't spike. He STAGESPIKED IT. If you stop at 0:06, you can clearly see GaW justDI'd towards the edge, trying to grab the edge, as Luigi used the dsmash on the edge and his leg his hitbox was sticking out. So basically GaW jumped into it and got staged spiked.
Well now I see the vid for the first time and clearly its a stage spike. It would have been interesting if it were a spike though.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
It is definitely a stage spike. I have done that before, and it didn't spike him, which means it can only spike someone at that position.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
It is definitely a stage spike. I have done that before, and it didn't spike him, which means it can only spike someone at that position.

Yup , When I 1st did that I though he got spiked then When I watched the replay I still though he got Spiked but when I uploaded the video on youtube I could clearly see he got stagespiked.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
We should try to see if the spikes that other characters have that everyone thinks are spikes are actually stage spikes. Any suggestions?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
err, if it contributes, i've stage spiked with a dsmash near the edge, uair, bair, and a nair. Nair was a lucky shot though. I think any move can stage spike if it can actually force the enemy to hit the ledge voluntarily/involuntarily.

On a side note, does anyone else use the edge of stages to redirect fireballs? Last time i brought it up its labeled as situational, but I do it all the time to mess up my enemies...

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Theres only a spike that cant be Meteor canceled and thats Luigi's down taunt Spike:)

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Spikes can't be canceled, which is why they're called spikes. They can be canceled, but it's extremely hard. You have to wait for the lag time to be over, but you usually die by that time.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Spikes can be canceled, when you jump after your lauched and it will end the animation of you falling down or just timing ur recovery very well =P

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Spikes can be canceled, when you jump after your lauched and it will end the animation of you falling down or just timing ur recovery very well =P
well im not too good with vocab but what you are thinking of are meteor smashes and meteor cancels, meteor smashes being spikes that can be cancelled by jumping or up-b'ing as you are being launched or something, spikes cannot be cancelled like that and you must wait for the hitlag to end

at least thats what it was in melee i think

not so sure about brawl

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
well im not too good with vocab but what you are thinking of are meteor smashes and meteor cancels, meteor smashes being spikes that can be cancelled by jumping or up-b'ing as you are being launched or something, spikes cannot be cancelled like that and you must wait for the hitlag to end

at least thats what it was in melee i think

not so sure about brawl

Ok... Now I'm confused isn't a Meteor Smash a Spike?

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
a meteor smash is a spike that can be cancelled, regular spikes in melee could not be cancelled, and you would have to wait for the hitlag to wear off

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
All of Luigi's aerials have barely any lag and he has like three different kill moves. Luigi is a lot better in Brawl than in melee ( just my opinion ).

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
All of Luigi's aerials have barely any lag and he has like three different kill moves. Luigi is a lot better in Brawl than in melee ( just my opinion ).
Three?

F-Smash, Shoryuken, F-Tilt, U-Tilt, D-Smash, U-Smash, Side-B, B/D/F/U/N-Air, the occasional epic rising tornado while the opponent is in the air kill... That's more than 3.

WIGI

Smash Champion
some of those are situational. hes saying tehres 2 styandard ones that are used alot and kill very efectavly alot of times

fsmash up b upsmash

those are his main thre killers

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i like the other hit of the down smash for kills and up smash followed by f-smash....I actually purposely tilt it down to hit game and watch's shield

Luigi is a good character and he seems to do better vs the top tiers than melee but in both games he has bad to horrible matchups

in brawl, Meta (like everyone), and D3 due to infinite......and somewhat Marth
in melee, Marth

Brawl luigi is better but melee luigi was quicker to the hit

Luigi has his weakness's but he combos so well vs basically every character

Sukai

Smash Champion
One day i was fighting a Jigglypuff with Luigi.
I just KOed my opponent.
When he came back and chased after me, I naturally waited for his invincibility frames ended.
When they did I did the following, with each hit landing.
Short Hop, Back Air, Double Jump, Back Air Super Green Missle.
He got KOed again.
The best part about this is we were on the right side of the battlefield, and he died on the left.
I wish I had a video of it.

Luigi is like the ultimate punisher.
In Melee (where I also seconded him) it was next to impossible to get a Super Jump Punch off right on someone. In Brawl I do it commonly. Just need to wait for the right moment, and that perfect attack lag = ****.

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
Generally speaking, would Luigi be overall better than Mario? I've been thinking of maining (trial) one of the bros. for awhile, but don't know which one to. Any unbiased input would be nice.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Well I have some important information about that.
Luigi Pros.:
>Air power
>Spacing (tornado)
>KO moves
>Sickly combo skill

Mario Pros.:
>Edgeguarding
>Range (slightly more than Luigi)
>Defense

So Luigi IMHUO is the better player. However if you are a tourney go-er, keep this in mind; Luigi is crap against the main tourney characters, i.e Snake, MK, DDD. So take that into consideration

Top Bottom