• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) We seriously need to have SkullGirls at Genesis 3

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Might be a bad idea. How would the SG community feel about attending a tournament run by the guys who beat them? Their attendance is already low and their less likely to attend genesis than any other tourney.

:phone:
You're not really a people-knower, are you?

World

Smash Cadet
I would rather for skullgirls to succeed based on the merits of their own community rather than relying on others.

I've seen tons of post from SkullGirls fans saying things like, "If we don't get into EVO, our game might die!." You should not be relying on EVO. Let me repeat that. You should not be relying on EVO. You need to rely on yourselves to grow your community and keep your game alive. There were plenty of years when Melee didn't have any official backing. Sure, we had years at EVO before, and we had years with MLG, but the constant that has kept our scene strong, is our players and out community. Win or lose, SkullGirls success is on your hands.
If you want SGs to stand the test of time and the rivalry of newer games, you're gonna need more than just EVO. You're gonna need a community willing to put in the extra effort to make sure your game goes far. You're going to need people that make what is essentially a JOB supporting the game competitively (fortuntately you have this with Lab Zero, just hope they can keep up supporting the game without running into more lawsuit troubles). You're going to need to branch out to casuals and even non-players and slowly convince them to be the future of SGs.

Then again, they do need recognition after their donation drive result.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the VA part, but don't dress the fact up that we did the exact same thing as them for reddit posts supporting melee (that got 100s of upvotes) not explaining that it was a part of a bigger competition and only including the melee donation page.
True but we did win by quite a bit, and i'm sure the reddit posts didn't make that difference.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
True but we did win by quite a bit, and i'm sure the reddit posts didn't make that difference.
Of course, I agree that the no reddit post probably made any significant difference- I'm just pointing out that it's hilariously hypocritical to criticize them of something that we did before they did.

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Don't be rude guys. When we get to Evo, we have to be VERY respectful

The way we act at Evo, ABOVE ALL ELSE, will affect our ENTIRE FUTURE

needless to say I'm showering and dressing better from now on lol (at least at evo ill be not lazy)
So we should all come in Tux's right?

The Star King

Smash Hero
I wonder what the secret information M2K has been hinting at is... but that probably means there's a reason that it would be very good for us to do this. So do it. lol

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo!
Hire mike z for the next smash!
I'm pretty sure if Mike Z got put in charge of the next smash the world would end

There's no way Nintendo cares enough about us to the point where they'd give us a guy in charge that actually listens to his fans :(

pheX

Smash Apprentice
I think it is an amazing idea to add skullgirls to the next genesis. The comunity seems really great and i think it would be a great opportunity for both comunities if we'd work together. This might be a great thing for smash!
Also skullgirls looks really amazing. I wanna now more about the game and would love too see it in a melee stream where the commentators explain everything for us melee players.

It was also such a close and hones competetion. Goku would do the same. Go Skullgirls!

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
It would be a nice gesture but I don't think it's really fits the tournament.

oksas

oak-sauce

needless to say I'm showering and dressing better from now on lol (at least at evo ill be not lazy)
man, i would love to see a clean clut, well dressed jason at a tournament

Shard

Smash Cadet
Might be a bad idea. How would the SG community feel about attending a tournament run by the guys who beat them? Their attendance is already low and their less likely to attend genesis than any other tourney.

You know, this can work better than you think. We do this in rugby. After full game of beating the crap out of each other, the kegs are dragged onto the pitch and we have a big social. It creates an amazing community.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Gunna step in right now.

For once M2K is like not crazy.

This is more important than many people understand. It's not just for SG either. Its for our community. An opportunity to bridge the gap between the FGC and Smash bros. To make that a thing at more than just Apex and EVO.

This is the first step.

Now, lets do this.

Renth

Smash Hero
+1

There's no reason we can't both communities support each other. The more allies we have the better provided we have the accommodations (space, time ect.) I wouldn't mind seeing Skull Girls at every event I attend in the future.

To be honest, Until this drive I had never heard of them.

BrandX

Smash Ace
Well Im glad everyone feels that way! Yes I agree that thia could benefit us both :)

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
yo can I get a ms. fortune in project m?

no?

alright fine

(seriously though good **** smash community)

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Gunna step in right now.

For once M2K is like not crazy.

This is more important than many people understand. It's not just for SG either. Its for our community. An opportunity to bridge the gap between the FGC and Smash bros. To make that a thing at more than just Apex and EVO.

This is the first step.

Now, lets do this.

most relevant point

wraith55

Smash Apprentice
If we get the skullgirls community to respect us I think it's a good step to getting more recognized by the fgc. Right now it kind of feels like people dislike us more now that we've won the donation drive, idk. The skullgirls community seems really cool and for once I'd like to have a friendly community in the fgc that doesn't constantly treat us like children and treat our game like trash. I know it would be difficult for g3 but if we got the sg community to run it and supply setups, would it be impossible? It's at least worth talking about.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yo in EVO we all have to dress like TAJ at apex 2013 lol.... nah but we should at least all present ourselves with proper hygiene. Smelling up the room is disrespectful to the people you share the event with.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
If it all possible this should happen, we should at least put forth an effort.

One as a kind of open arms approach to their game. Not to rub salt in their wounds but to show them that we understand. Secondly because if we really want to be considered part of the fighting game community then we need to be more receptive to their games. You have to give a little bit. To be honest numerous FGC TOs have had Smash a side event or even a main event at their big tournament and we didn't show up. Thirdly because there is nothing wrong with more games as long as the event can handle it.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
on one hand i believe that SG should be at genesis

BuUUuUt on the other hand guys, if YOU want to help SG and have good SG tourneys, join their community and enter THEIR tourneys.

alphazealot said on the stream that we are one smash community, and that is why we are so strong despite not being in the FGC. SG may deserve the g3n3sis spotlight, but genesis is a SMASH tourney, and obviously that is priority 1, and putting non smash games is like priority 20 lol

smashmachine

Smash Lord
if that happens, they're probably going to have to set up their own stream and stuff, kinda like other games at apex
....then again, is genesis streaming even that good in the first place (its been a while, don't remember)

goateeguy

Smash Ace

Agree agree agree. Be polite to the other games' communities (even the h8rs), respect the TOs, do NOT bash Skullgirls even jokingly, because they could have been in our place now (and they put up a hell of a fight). Like Mike Z said admirably, after the game we're no longer opponents. Show the same respect to other communities and maybe we can earn some more respect from them in return.

CrownAxe

Smash Cadet
on one hand i believe that SG should be at genesis

BuUUuUt on the other hand guys, if YOU want to help SG and have good SG tourneys, join their community and enter THEIR tourneys.

alphazealot said on the stream that we are one smash community, and that is why we are so strong despite not being in the FGC. SG may deserve the g3n3sis spotlight, but genesis is a SMASH tourney, and obviously that is priority 1, and putting non smash games is like priority 20 lol
I wish Skullgirls had tournies for people to join though :/

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
I wish Skullgirls had tournies for people to join though :/
If you can't find any tournies near you and you have the PS3 version, try Skullbats. Online tourneys might not be as great as the real thing, but they still are fun and help hold people's interest.

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
if that happens, they're probably going to have to set up their own stream and stuff, kinda like other games at apex
....then again, is genesis streaming even that good in the first place (its been a while, don't remember)
the genesis venue does NOT have internet. genesis 2 stream was from an EVO 4g phone tethering its mobile hotspot. and iirc he didn't have an unlimited data plan/they started throttling data and the stream was poor(kind of like ROM4)

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
yo can I get a ms. fortune in project m?

no?

alright fine

(seriously though good **** smash community)
Skullgirls characters in Project M might actually work if the clone engine ever gets finished, I'm sure Mike Z would have no opposition.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
G3 TO here.

There are a million things we need to figure out before we even think about whether we can do this. Speaking personally, and not in any way for the other G3 staff, I'd be happy to accommodate SG if there's a demand, and if and only if our venue has space and SG can be run more or less independently from the other tourneys. However I think it's unlikely that we will take SG into consideration when we make our decisions regarding the date and venue. In any case we have a ton of stuff to do right now and you can rest assured it will get brought up, so I ask you not to bug G3 staff too much about it.

DarkSouls

Smash Apprentice
Skullgirls characters in Project M might actually work if the clone engine ever gets finished, I'm sure Mike Z would have no opposition.
You mean the Project M staff is working on an engine that can let people make new characters? That's pretty sweet.

Or do you just mean reskins?:urg:

CrownAxe

Smash Cadet
IDK where G3 is being held but if its some what close to San Diego I would be down for bringing two skullgirls set ups

Top Bottom