• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - EVO 2013 (Breast Cancer Research Drive) We seriously need to have SkullGirls at Genesis 3

MajinSweet

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I wouldn't get behind this is that the SG crowd doesn't seem to really care. I checked the Skullgirls thread on SRK to see if this had been brought up. Most people seem to be fairly indifferent.

iLink

Smash Champion
The only reason I wouldn't get behind this is that the SG crowd doesn't seem to really care. I checked the Skullgirls thread on SRK to see if this had been brought up. Most people seem to be fairly indifferent.
As a SG player, I definitely think they would greatly appreciate this. No one has really brought it up because we really have no say and its up to the G3 TO's in the end. Everyone is kind of just like "ok where do we go from here" and processing the fact that the game is actually gaining some progress again (PC port and a new character).

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i 100% agree with this. they deserve something for raising all that money. I dont know much about SG the game but their community has definitely gained my respect. They were good rivals and i really think if G3 can help them out and its possible to have SG there then we should.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
Id rather have SG than P:M honestly <----don't shoot me, I'd just rather play melee+SG(just bought it) rather than melee+"I can't believe it's not melee, 2.0!"

only if there is a real demand for it of course like hyuga said, it'd be a shame to devote time/energy/space to the cause if no one except BrandX showed up.. that being said, Id enter for sure & Im sure some other smashers would too :)

edit: plus it could open up some new sponsorships possibly?

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
If we get the skullgirls community to respect us I think it's a good step to getting more recognized by the fgc. Right now it kind of feels like people dislike us more now that we've won the donation drive, idk. The skullgirls community seems really cool and for once I'd like to have a friendly community in the fgc that doesn't constantly treat us like children and treat our game like trash. I know it would be difficult for g3 but if we got the sg community to run it and supply setups, would it be impossible? It's at least worth talking about.
I think this is a good point.

Personally, I think that the SG community is only going to start expanding from here (even though they didn't win, they certainly attracted a boatload of attention, and their upcoming DLC and PC release is sure to get a new crowd... and of course the eventual Japanese release).

I say we do our best to support their community now and give them a boost. If they do end up becoming a big player in the FGC, having a good relationship with them will definitely pay off. Even if they don't become a big player in the FGC, I can't see how having a great relationship with them is a bad thing.

That being said, I definitely understand how if we put it in Genesis, it might not have a lot of players... but I say why not? If there aren't enough people, maybe it can just be left open to anybody who's passing by, waiting between ssb matches or etc. to screw around with? Introduce some players to the game and etc.

BrandX

Smash Ace
The one thing that disappoints me is that a lot of you already recognize my efforts to try and bridge our communities, and I seemed to have been successful as you guys know me extremely well and a lot of you do want to play SkullGirls. Which is great! I'm glad to see you guys finally seeing SG's in a different light.

The sad part is that my own community doesn't seem to recognize what I've been doing.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
^I just joined SRK & am gonna start asking questions/socializing/hopefully playing you guys soon.

always liked this game, just got a little more familiar with it during the competition, but it felt like cheating on SSBM to play it during the drive LOL.

anyway, I'll eventually try & make ties dude. it'd be a cool connection.

boobs & furries

BrandX

Smash Ace
^I just joined SRK & am gonna start asking questions/socializing/hopefully playing you guys soon.

always liked this game, just got a little more familiar with it during the competition, but it felt like cheating on SSBM to play it during the drive LOL.

anyway, I'll eventually try & make ties dude. it'd be a cool connection.

boobs & furries
Didn't feel like cheating when I was playing Project M during the drive, though that isn't specifically melee so I guess it doesn't count?

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
The main problem is that we don't know where Genesis 3 is being held. If it's not on the west coast, it would take a serious effort to ensure that it isn't a flop-- you couldn't just say "hey everyone, travel to Genesis 3 for Skullgirls," because outside of SoCal the community is very decentralized.

Also keep in mind that most of the FGC plays more than one game. Some of the entrants to the SCR side tournament were people like Dios X and Chris G, who do play the game but are primarily Marvel players. It's unlikely that these players would be willing to travel "just" for Skullgirls, since the only other games at Genesis are Smash, which they don't play.

So I don't think it's a bad idea at all; it's just that you won't get results by halfassing it (unless it's in SoCal, in which case you should be okay). One major step would be if there were Smash players playing Skullgirls (or vice versa), since at least you'd have some level of guaranteed turnout.

iLink

Smash Champion
I'm a smash and SG player so BrandX would at least have 1 other person to play :p

That being said, I'm more then willing to tutor any smash players that are interested in the game. I could help you get through the basics and then-some, just shoot me a message or add me on skype. Skullgirls even has an amazing in-game tutorial. If you are new to fighting games, it walks you through the basics and terminology as well as tells you why certain options are good and how they can be applied in game.

Hokkaido

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'd totally be willing to play SG there... too bad if doesn't get miraculously moved to New York City I'm.... well, probably not going.

And I'm sure if it did get moved to NYC, then there wouldn't be any SG players for sure, because apparently most of the SG fans that can actually organize are in California :(.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
PLEASE trust me

there is a reason i can't say any more than this

I just ask for you all to trust me and listen to me this time
There's a reason guys. i've been saying it'd be cool to have them at G3 for awhile now. I don't think it NEEDS to happen but I'd like for Boback to look into it before shutting down the idea. Basically he would need to be sure people would show up (it's cali though, that's every games bigest region) and he'd need someone to run it for him.

Also, while FGC thinks it's weird that we house with eachother and stack hotel rooms, we usually bring set ups a long with us when we can. I doubt boback wants to have PS3 and monitors on his plate when he just wants some melee hype.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
If Genesis 3 is in Cali then I think this officially qualifies as a Good Idea. Just need to make sure people know about it in advance, maybe get into contact with Mike Z or something. SoCal probably has the biggest Skullgirls contingency right now, as previously mentioned.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
You mean the Project M staff is working on an engine that can let people make new characters? That's pretty sweet.

Or do you just mean reskins?:urg:
One of the devs was working on a clone engine to add characters (reskins can already be done) be nobody's heard of it in ages.

Top Bottom