• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WE LIVIN' DOE! A Mario resurrection thread ft: A Rookie

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Yeah I heard the story somewhere.

Also have you ever considered picking up a top tier secondary to help with some of the really rough MUs?

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
a rookie plays fox but badly, and then realizes he will never be good at anything except playing mario and so when he finishes all of his mario tech practice after about 10 minutes or so he satisfies himself by making a post on every thread in the mario forums

a rookie

Smash Ace
a rookie plays fox but badly, and then realizes he will never be good at anything except playing mario and so when he finishes all of his mario tech practice after about 10 minutes or so he satisfies himself by making a post on every thread in the mario forums

Sounding like Mawnaclowd. This is probably him -____-"

Yeah I heard the story somewhere.

Also have you ever considered picking up a top tier secondary to help with some of the really rough MUs?
Um, I've considered it 1,000 times already xD But it's like lying to my heart ya know? I can't do that to myself. It's like asking Daigo to stop playing Ryu(NOT GONNA HAPPEN) lol. I will overcome these Top Tiers.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I believe! You got this bro!

Sadly I'm not as much as a man as you and a big part of me feels like I need to have a pocket fox :/

Papa+Stone

Hey a rookie, are you asian or white? I remember watching you play at Koc2 and it was really dark and you had these giant glasses on so it was a tough decision. Knowing these kinds of things is very important to me, thanks

a rookie

Smash Ace
I believe! You got this bro!

Sadly I'm not as much as a man as you and a big part of me feels like I need to have a pocket fox :/

Lol, it's ok man. I have a pocket(all top tiers). I play other characters in teams. But there's nothing wrong w/ wanting to win on your own terms. As long as you don't camp a lot xD Lol.

Hey a rookie, are you asian or white? I remember watching you play at Koc2 and it was really dark and you had these giant glasses on so it was a tough decision. Knowing these kinds of things is very important to me, thanks

Lol, well I'm mixed. I'm Filipino, Spanish, Samoan, and Navajo(just found that out recently).

Papa+Stone

Wow thats a diverse gene pool right there i cant even fathom the amount of breeding that wouldve been needed. I consider myself mostly mexican but my dad is white, cant really tell you what flavor of white he is though they all look the same to me

a rookie

Smash Ace
Wow thats a diverse gene pool right there i cant even fathom the amount of breeding that wouldve been needed. I consider myself mostly mexican but my dad is white, cant really tell you what flavor of white he is though they all look the same to me

I see, lol. Yes, I'm very diverse I guess you can say :p

Papa+Stone

I prefer a mixed community over fat white people any day. Its why competetive league of legends is the probably the worst experience someone could have. one of these days riot is going to alter all of the character models to be obese so that the league community has champions to identify with

a rookie

Smash Ace
LOL, is league really full of the "couch potato" gamers? That sucks. I'm glad we have no fat people in Top 5 smashers we have. Nothing against fat people at all, it just looks like a more professional game if people want to invest in us/them, to take the tournament series a bit further.

Papa+Stone

Well the target audience is asians so theres a lot of those too, and asians have been proven to be anywhere from skinny with bad hair(ken) to fat with bad hair and glasses(justin wong). Id say league is currently 50/50 asians and chubs

a rookie

Smash Ace
Ken? LOL xD He just doesn't care, haha. But yeah, I wouldn't put it against you to say there's a lot of asians and "big-boned" people.

Papa+Stone

Do you know ken? If you do can you tell him to hit the gym because my parents wont beleive that hes my hero until he bulks up a bit

Scidadle

Smash Champion
I've always tried to play the spacing and zoneing game with marth and it's recently occurred to me that that's probably a terrible idea, gonna try going ham next time i play a decent marth.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
I've always tried to play the spacing and zoneing game with marth and it's recently occurred to me that that's probably a terrible idea, gonna try going ham next time i play a decent marth.
Whaddya mean by going ham? I mean spacing and zoning happens regardless so I am just curious.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
Don't try to outspace marth. I'm a marth player and very much not a mario player but this advice applies mostly ubiquitously–playing against marth is largely about baiting him into making commitments (almost all of his moves) and punishing him for it when he does commit. Mario has a pretty decent wavedash/land and generally very solid movement, so while he's definitely not as good as say fox at punishing marth's flubs he shouldn't have a terrible time playing a baiting game. I'm sure an actual mario player will have better and more specific advice than I do though.

a rookie

Smash Ace

Thing is if you go ham on that nukka. He's gonna f*** you up. You don't just go ham and be ok. That's not how it works. You have to sadly inch your way in. And get so close to his face, that he has to swing/run away. Then you chase him down/punish. This is all applied to a "good Marth player"(Sung, PewPewU, Hyprid, etc.).

Whaddya mean by going ham? I mean spacing and zoning happens regardless so I am just curious.

Btw Koopa. Ham stands for Hard As a Motherf***er. Just letting you know, if you didn't. And I agree, you have to space and zone good at the end of the day right?

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Yeah I mean obviously I can't just go full ****** and run into him but my point was I was trying to play marths game instead of getting around his game.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah I mean obviously I can't just go full ****** and run into him but my point was I was trying to play marths game instead of getting around his game.

I see where you're coming from. Yeah though, once you're in vs Marth, go ham. Fair sucks so much vs Marth -____- Lol. Always remember, blocked Marth fsmash is a free punish :p And also, remember:

a rookie

Smash Ace
How did you do at SSS A Rookie?

1: Lucky (#4)
2: S2J (#2)
3: Fly Amanita (#3)
4: Fiction (#7)
5: Connor (#9)
5: OXY_Westballz (#5)
7: HugS (#11)
7: OXY_Sung666 (#13)
9: OkamiBW (#10)
9: Tafokints (#12)
9: ROFL (#17)
9: DEHF
13: P
13: Alex19
13: SFS_Nips
13: SFS_A Rookie (#19)
17: MikeHaze
17: OXY_DendyPretendy
17: Luigi
17: Leeland
17: OXY_TheCrimsonBlur
17: Matticus
17: Lobo
17: Squid

64 man bracket. I did ehhh. Lol. But I did manage to beat HugS in pools and this IC's named LeeLand(lost to him at a tournament in 2009 and NEVER forgot about it). Lost to ROFL(Luigi) and Tafokints(Sheik).

n0ne

Smash Ace
NOW I REMEMBER.
i really DO hate falcos. especially the random ones. Falcos that for instance smash attack out of nowhere or just camp lasers and dont move and then suddenly do something totally random. Ticks me off so much. Even if ure expecting it and space it/ react accordingly, u get won over by priority just cuz space animals are gay. The Rules Of Melee.

Anyways.

Heres some matches from my trip to Costa Rica. (Posted on "Mario video Archive" thread as well.)
Found the best ones (won or lost) cuz the others were lame, so much SDing.
Alot of silly stuff is happening, my controller got busted while i was in costa rica, and was lent another one by someone, whose of which the R button was failing on me.
Johns or not, w/e. im a big boy.

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCBZgUGlnyQ
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnqTei9HExQ
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ti2J9B6rU
4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzZ4CIkiLRM
5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sjqU3lcx8

Papa+Stone

Come on a rookie , i know you can place better than 16th at a regional tournament in scrubfornia. None wouldve taken the gold there with absolutely no problem, so as long as you stay positive and work harder you should be able to do the same. Remember a rookie, there are no limits. I believe you can be the man you were meant to be

Papa+Stone

Wow none is better than any mario ive ever seen, looks like there is even better competition than I predicted. Once I have proven myself against the california gods like a rookie and shrooms I shall assemble my squadron and we shall sail to the ancient land of nicaragua. Me and none will then face off once and for all for the title of the greatest mario. Our battle will be legendary; the mario ditto to end all dittoes

n0ne

Smash Ace
thx a rookie. yea they were really good.

U got some great stuff going on with your mario , good **** on reppin him too with your placings.

I havent been using Mario too much since July when i went to costa rica, im using my ganon and falcon more atm.i usually use mario when oponent is doing lots of random crap against me and i get mad haha and give em the mario ****. To my knowledge, all players around here say that my mario is really uncomfortable to play against, idk why.
(quick ganon clip) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyDFYEDcR4

btw, that last mario set that is pending , uploading real soon.

Papa+Stone

Wow ive heard of brown mario and green mario and have watched sone of their stuff before, but I never knew they were so good, they did some real cool stuff in some recent vids I watched. Plus theres another guy called cape who plays mario good as well, and others like eggz. I feel like a scrubby mario in comparison. Beating a rookie in mario dittos could help motivate me though

a rookie

Smash Ace
Wow ive heard of brown mario and green mario and have watched sone of their stuff before, but I never knew they were so good, they did some real cool stuff in some recent vids I watched. Plus theres another guy called cape who plays mario good as well, and others like eggz. I feel like a scrubby mario in comparison. Beating a rookie in mario dittos could help motivate me though

Yes, they were the best Mario mains though. Brown Mario was a top professional w/ Mario in Japan(pretty sure). And played against the best like Captain Jack(Sheik/Doc/Ganon/Bowser/), Masashi(Fox), and HoshinoKirby(Sheik/Doc). Eggz and Cape were good, but they weren't making it that far or beating notable players. Lol, bring it! I don't think I can lose a Mario ditto set ;)

thx a rookie. yea they were really good.

U got some great stuff going on with your mario , good **** on reppin him too with your placings.

I havent been using Mario too much since July when i went to costa rica

So wait. You're talking about in tournaments? or in friendlies? Your Ganon/Falcon. And yes, I have one hill to leap and I can be the best(not Mario, player), but I need to practice it. I can feel it :)

n0ne

Smash Ace
Well, my players are (not in order of best to worst) Falcon, Dorf, Mario, Mr g&w, Fox
Usually it depends on the MU, ill switch it up.
But i guess its safe to say that my mario and g&w are like my secret weapons, i use em in tourney if i feel confident about a certain MU, OR if i need a comeback. They are really good chars if u think of it , using em by surprise. Also, G&W gimps are soo good against most of the top tiers.

n0ne

Smash Ace
i meant characters , lol
anyways, i really do think u at least need a secondary for a character like mario. u cant just use mario all day and expect to do great things. u gotta have another one. just my ten cents

a rookie

Smash Ace
g&w does have good gimps, but his shield is the worst EVER. I would love to play against you to see how good you are. All my secondaries are: Falcon/Falo/Fox/Sheik/Ganon/Marth. But I don't use any of them in singles, only in teams. Since teams are fun :p

n0ne

Smash Ace
i would advise using a bit of falcon/dorf. the playstyle of the three really complement eachother. youd be surprised how similar the three of them play. i think my mario is a mix of all three.

Yea id love to play u guys too. i havent actually played any american players, i only travel to canada , and i believe not too many ppl know about me cuz i havent had the chance.

n0ne

Smash Ace
oh! and with g&w the idea is to stay mobile and master lightshielding. using mario against marth helps tons for lightshielding. especially when on a platform and marth is beneath u.
lightshield>plat drop bair.
once u lightshield with g&w, everything becomes much easier with f-air spacing.
imo, g&w is supposed to be an aggressive char, not defensive. he has no shield anyways. so u cant be defensive. u just gotta make what u can real hard and fast with each stock.
Now that i realize it, i have some g&w matches vs that falco , i gotta upload those too. (lol dorf matches also)

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
As a guy who's switching to Doc as a main, I think it'd be good to know mario also for fun and I was wondering what differences there are between the two characters that make a huge difference in playstyle and what matchups you all believe mario would be the better option than Doc in?

Papa+Stone

As a guy who's switching to Doc as a main, I think it'd be good to know mario also for fun and I was wondering what differences there are between the two characters that make a huge difference in playstyle and what matchups you all believe mario would be the better option than Doc in?
I personally dont think mario is better in any of the matchups lol, maybe sheik though where fmash followups could work better but idk. His improved combos (doc combos fine) dont make up for losing killpower edgeguards/gimps fair setups and better followups. I never seem to connect enough uairs as mario but im working on it, im trying to implement full hop uair-uair. but atm docs is better because it stalls the opponent in the air instead of knocking them away, making it perfect for full hop hair-uair, dair-uair-usmash/dmash combos. i feel like marios combos characters around ganons fallspeed very well, but this is pretty niche and still isnt that much better anyway.

as for differences, marios fsmash is disjointed and has longer range with a strong tip and a weak middle. docs is just strong up close. dsmash for mario is weaker, especially the back hit. docs upsmash works like a meteor smash on grounded foes, which can setup for fairs against semi floaties. marios tends to be better for killing and comboing spacies. doc has a slow, but strong jab that can lift enemies in the air allowing them to be hit with smashes like dmash or grabs. marios is weaker and does the same thing in 2 quick jabs, but its faster making for better mixups. Probably the best jab string in the game with docs. marios utilt lifts enemies in the air but is weak enough to allow for retalation if you dont time it so that it hits at the last second its out. docs has an upward trajectory for foes above him and hits horizontally for people in front of him. marios dtilt is weak as hell and pops them up, while docs is pretty ok and sends foes behind him. marios ftilt, bair, and uair have more knockback and damage. however, imo docs bair and uair have more potential to link into other moves, with the uair being so good at it like its almost like an airborne jab. docs bair is also a semi spike for its low trajectory unlike marios which makes it better for gimping. docs fair is the second strongest in the game, and has tons of setups into it, like uthrow on fastfallers, dthrow on semi floaties, grounded usmash, uair chains, up b cancel. marios is a combo attack which can set up for uairs dairs utilts or his kill moves like smashes or nair/bair. it also has a pretty useless meteor function. docs nair gets stronger the longer is out which helps nair become kind of a defensive sheild for him and a good techchase option. since they are so slow, mario loses nairs utility as an approch in a lot of situations but his nair (along with his bair) is still useful as a combo ender since he doesnt have the luxury of a strong killing fair. docs dair connects better and does up to 18%, and has one more hit than marios. however if marios dair connects with the ground it lets out a shockwave which acts like an additional hit. they both chaingrab with uthrow and bthrow, although docs throws are stronger, despite both of their throws doing the same percent. docs dash attack is stronger and has less end lag, which can lead to fmashes on spacies if you land the very last hit of it. marios is pretty weak and vulnerable.

as for specials, marios fireball is weaker, smaller, less stun and doesnt bounce as high making it less dominant than docs. docs cape is stronger but marios is better for recovery, as he rises when he uses it in the air and can do this indefinately, where as docs only slows his descent and can only do it once. this sisnt always bad though. doc can up b cancel which is a trong oos option but mario can up b walljump giving him stronger recovery options.

all in all, marios has weaker killmoves and worse edgegaurding, but better combos and recovery. his fsmash is very powerful and is his only ranged attack, so this should be the focus of his game. his kill moves will be nair, bair, bthrow and smashes. utilt, throws, and fair set up for aerials and uair combos. full hop uair and dair set up for additional uairs. docs game is more focused on converting to and landing fair finishers. his combos are short but strong and he has many tools to convert to kill moves.

Top Bottom