• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WE LIVIN' DOE! A Mario resurrection thread ft: A Rookie

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
also I dont think marios really needs counter picks against the top tiers, the more I play against them the more I think he does equally bad against all fo them. And you guys were right, marth isnt that tough, I play with my friends marth pretty regularly now and Ive learned a lot from it. still tricky but manageable.

n0ne

Smash Ace
i dont understand why everybody says pill>fireball.

fireball is waaaay better for helping recovery . i use it to get ppl off the ledge.
also, offstage, fireball makes no sound on impact, so it helps in confusing enemy in losing their 2nd jump.
also fireball bounces nicely on walls

Papa+Stone

Shroomed uses the pills a lot for recovering and its one of the reasons why he is infamously good at surviving. The fireballs have less stun and will hit from farther away which leaves more time for the enemy to recover from their stun, while pills can be used much closer up and they hit enemies below you much better. And the angle is better for sniping recovering enemies offstage as well. The fireball isnt that bad though, its just pills kinda beat it out in most situations, and are better than nearly every projectile in the game

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
Well that's certainly a much more detailed answer than I expected o.o

But yes, I figured sheik was probably the only area where Mario may be better but I had to ask. And thank you so much for the answer, I think I'll work on maiming both together for situations where I feel more comfortable using one over the other. As of right now I use Mario over doc for teams shiek g&w and a few other low tiers. This is really going to benefit me though with your input.

Papa+Stone

Yeah i play all marios(doc mario luigi) along with falcon. I find doc and mario fun in different ways and play them both about equally, though if im really trying hard ill play doc over mario.

Scidadle

Smash Champion
Yo! How do you deal with falcon a rookie? I thought I was good at this MU but apparently not. I know utilt beats/trades with a lot of his moves but it's hard to do it on reaction and to approach with it. How do you work around his spaced nairs and such?

a rookie

Smash Ace
[Me vs S2J] (Use this video as references for the times below)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tok74dKjeR0

Dealing w/ Falcon's nairs:
*you can space them if he tries to overshoot w/ a wavedash or good dash dance game
*if he does retreating nairs, fireball that sh**! or wavedash up to him/running fsmash(don't take the bait, take the space)
Example of dodging nairs: 05:55-06:00

Uptilt Pros:
The thing about uptilt. You have to use it like a Fox shine. Use uptilt to cover the gaps in your offense/defense. It's a VERY good move to shut down falcon looking to punish Mario's laggy moves.
Examples that shows a whiffed move getting covered by the uptilt: 01:29, 04:12, and 5:50
& Cons:
Now if they catch on to you uptilting a lot, they can actually knee you out of shield(I THINK???)/grab you(if you're close enough) if they block it.
Example of getting grabbed out of an uptilt: 11:10

Shutting down Falcon's air game:
To keep him out of the air is another strategy. I use dair A LOT when I'm in center stage since there's 80% of the stages w/ platforms, the center is the only place that would feel completely free for Falcon to full hop and do something. So if you dair center stage(full hop dair is what I mean), then it'll stuff almost all his moves. And just do that as a warning for him not to approach you recklessly.
Examples of shutting dairing his aerials: 07:03

Falcon grabs you:
If Falcon grabs(you should be holding "away" 95% of the time due to Falcon follow ups. For example, if you DI in while he dthrows you, in mid-high %'s, it's a legit combo. But if you DI away while he dthrows you, you can up-b challenge/up-air/jump out of every combo. That's the advantage Mario has on Falcon.
Example of getting dthrowed my DI "away" 11:42

I feel like I've stated these things before, and if I have, sorry. Ask me anything else if you need more help killing/edge-guarding him or other characters :shyguy:

Papa+Stone

that match with s2j is the first time i realized a rooie was actually okay at smash

Papa+Stone

Hurry up and upload your sss matches a rookie you lazy bum. I watched the rom 6 stream instead of the sss stream and it was terrible and all the crowd pleaser were murdered and i regret it deeply. A rookie has a large hole to fill, youd better not have gotten slain in the beginning of bracket like kage was because i need some satisfying matches

It's funny because you're only half joking
nonsense, a rookie is like a father to me

Berrial

Smash Cadet
Hey a rookie, I've recently found out that when you cape Peach with her umbrella open (not sure about closed umbrella) she gains a large amount of height, is it possible to use this to your advantage and punish Peach?

Dees

Smash Journeyman
I got 3rd seed in pools at fight pitt III but then dead last in bracket

not bad for not practicing in 3 months

mario is ****ing great

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hey a rookie, I've recently found out that when you cape Peach with her umbrella open (not sure about closed umbrella) she gains a large amount of height, is it possible to use this to your advantage and punish Peach?

Ok, there's different properties to the cape. For instance, if you have a fresh cape(not used at all for a stock) and cape Peach while she tries to sweetspot with her up b. She goes into this weird tumbling animation, that can be followed up w/ an edge hog or a fsmash(if she DI's on the stage/goes to high w/ her up b). Thing is, if it's not fresh, she doesn't go into this tumbling animation and she rises w/ her back towards you(i think, I'll test this again soon). But in your case, you're talking about while she's already floating w/ her up b correct? If that's the case, yes. There's a good amount of a punish you can get if you cape her and she gains height. You can only follow up w/ 1 aerial since she'll most likely be floating away. But cape is always good.

Berrial

Smash Cadet
Ok, there's different properties to the cape. For instance, if you have a fresh cape(not used at all for a stock) and cape Peach while she tries to sweetspot with her up b. She goes into this weird tumbling animation, that can be followed up w/ an edge hog or a fsmash(if she DI's on the stage/goes to high w/ her up b). Thing is, if it's not fresh, she doesn't go into this tumbling animation and she rises w/ her back towards you(i think, I'll test this again soon). But in your case, you're talking about while she's already floating w/ her up b correct? If that's the case, yes. There's a good amount of a punish you can get if you cape her and she gains height. You can only follow up w/ 1 aerial since she'll most likely be floating away. But cape is always good.

That's..... I never knew about that, especially the "fresh cape" thing. Thanks!
Hopefully i'll be using this to my advantage :p

n0ne

Smash Ace
yea, its like caping a marth on his up b. its usually tricky to cape his up-b, cuz it has better priority than cape, so what i like to do vs marth is get off stage, turnaround cape, that way his up b wont touch u and it will give marth a weird floatyness/tumble, whatever u call it, then u just head in to punish his landing lag.

Because he goes higher than the stage, itll take even longer for him to get out of landing lag from his up b than usual.

a rookie

Smash Ace
yea, its like caping a marth on his up b. its usually tricky to cape his up-b, cuz it has better priority than cape, so what i like to do vs marth is get off stage, turnaround cape, that way his up b wont touch u and it will give marth a weird floatyness/tumble, whatever u call it, then u just head in to punish his landing lag.

Because he goes higher than the stage, itll take even longer for him to get out of landing lag from his up b than usual.
Man, Marth's up b is nonsense! Most of the time, Cape doesn't work if you're on stage and they sweet spot. Koopa came up w/ a way to edgeguard his up b. Dip low w/ your nair w/ fresh invincibility and it sends him off the other way. It looks somewhat viable :p

I got 3rd seed in pools at fight pitt III but then dead last in bracket

not bad for not practicing in 3 months

mario is ****ing great
Hey Dees, is your tag actually Dees? And do you have any videos? :o

Dees

Smash Journeyman
Man, Marth's up b is nonsense! Most of the time, Cape doesn't work if you're on stage and they sweet spot. Koopa came up w/ a way to edgeguard his up b. Dip low w/ your nair w/ fresh invincibility and it sends him off the other way. It looks somewhat viable :p

Hey Dees, is your tag actually Dees? And do you have any videos? :o
Yeah its actually Dees. I dont have any videos uploaded that I know of. I usually dont play on recording set ups for whatever reason.

Britex

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts to A Rookie for his nice set vs Silent Wolf @ Kings of Cali 3. But Rookie, I gotta ask, did someone usurp your identity somewhere between your set vs Alex19 and your set vs Silent Wolf?

You look like a totally different person.

Papa+Stone

Just look how boring it is in here face it you guys need me for my vibrant personality otherwise you all would lose your way

KP17

a rookie, what do you think about dash attack vs shielding opponents? it hits pretty low so it can shield stab, but it doesnt lead to too much. I personally use it as an occasional cross up. also, whats your opinion on boost grab? the dash attack sound is pretty nifty as it may confuse the opponent.

- a mario secondary

SoldierSunday

Smash Apprentice
A Rookie, are you going to APEX?

Also, what would you guys say is Marios most fun MU to play against?

Papa+Stone

Playing against fox and falco is a holy art; truly the most satisfying of all warriors to battle. Otherwise you might as well give up and play project m

a rookie

Smash Ace
a rookie, what do you think about dash attack vs shielding opponents? it hits pretty low so it can shield stab, but it doesnt lead to too much. I personally use it as an occasional cross up. also, whats your opinion on boost grab? the dash attack sound is pretty nifty as it may confuse the opponent.

- a mario secondary
The dash attack, is an ok tactic. It does shield poke sometimes and you have to do the dash attack late so you end up crossing them up. You might even avoid grabs? :O Gonna test this tonight and get back to you w/ more details!!!!

Is it possible to ledge cancel a fireball?
No actually. The lag is still there even if you try to edge cancel one unfortunately D:

A Rookie, are you going to APEX?

Also, what would you guys say is Marios most fun MU to play against?
I'm not going to Apex :/ But most likely I will attend SoCal Regionals! Which is also gonna be big! Fun MU? I would say Falcon/Marth/Sheik/Any Mario Bros. imo :p

Papa+Stone

DJ nintendo went mario a bit in pools but there wasnt really anything impressive enough to actually count as pure virgin mario play

Britex

Smash Apprentice
I really hope a tournament is going to be organized soon in my area. Even if I can only play versus cpus, I really feel like my Mario is improving on a daily basis.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Definitely no Mario's on stream. But I'm pretty sure there was at least a couple of Mario's. MAYBE, haha. But yeah Britex, record some stuff! Mario's so tough man. I keep losing to Spacies. But Falco atm is my worst MU. I got bodied last tournament by a solid Falco. But once I figure out that MU and the campy Fox MU, I WILL RISE FROM THE ASHES!

Britex

Smash Apprentice
As it turns out, there's a tournament organized in my area on March 1. I'll definitively try go there and get some stuff recorded.

Pavoneo

Smash Rookie
A Rookie, you should make an updated guide on Mario. I'm struggling with a lot of matchups with Mario (especially Falco) and I'm not sure how to approach these matchups. I feel like the old guide is outdated due to the new meta, but that could just be me.

Top Bottom