• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WE LIVIN' DOE! A Mario resurrection thread ft: A Rookie

a rookie

Smash Ace
I will answer any questions if you have any about MU's/approaches/defense/shielding/etc.

Below is some inspiration for all of us. And no, not just the amazing Attack on Bowser pic ;)

1014260_194216064098680_774278607_n.jpg

A Rookie(Ranked # 19 in SoCal) vs Fiction(Ranked # 7 in SoCal):
http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/458539761?t=398m35s
Hopefully this gives us mains some hope and start reviving this ghost town!(Shout outs to Boo :troll: )

MasterShake

Smash Lord
I'd like to know more about mario vs shiek.

Here's a video of me in a semi serious set: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTf2Z3NH4X8

There is a skill gap between me and my opponent, but as the set went on I felt my advantage slipping and found I really didn't know how to deal with quite a few situations. I ended up just doing good player stuff to win, but I don't want it to be that close in the first place. What can I do better in this mu?

a rookie

Smash Ace
Lol, you're Mooninite? Heard about you before. But yes, edgeguarding Sheik can be tricky.

Edgeguarding:
-if she goes straight up(cape)[she'll turn the other direction and miss the edge grab]
-if she goes for the stage, but you know(a good read) she'll barely land on the stage(cape here again, it'll turn her little momentum she has around as well and get a kill)
-stuff her startup of the up b(when you see her leap a little) w/ a bair and you'll get an easy gimp
-cover the edge option w/ either a regular get up(100%)/roll then punish accordingly if she lands on stage
-stay on the edge the whole time and do nothing(THE MINDGAME LOL) and hopefully they try to trick you, but in turn kill themselves

Shutting down Sheik:
-don't miss an L- cancel/space aerials good(won't get grabbed)
-in the air show her down w/ a dair

Combos:
-uptilt the poop out of her
-upair blind

In general, you have to avoid getting grabbed and edgeguard her. If you can do both of those things, it'll make the MU a lot easier. If you didn't know, I believe this to be Mario's hardest MU so don't feel all bugged out about not feeling that comfortable. You did a lot of up airs to nair. Which isn't enough kill power. Switch nair w/ fsmash(angled up if needed). And you gotta take advantage of the fact your throws are good on her too. Dthrow --> fsmash/upsmash(depends on DI). The bair wall she does is annoying, just space it and try to fsmash it. Don't try to shield grab, it never works -___- and don't roll, they're facing that way to get an easy grab on you. You could chill back for a couple seconds and throw fireballs to annoy her. And no chain throw works on Mario. Up b/jump out of a dthrow when necessary. But overall, your Mario is pretty cool and would probably tap mine xD haha. Good stuff beating Sheik :)

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Thanks man. I guess I was scared to fsmash out of uair because of the low hitstun. And I limit myself by not caping (dumb personal choice). I didn't know about the no chain throw thing either, fuhhhh. I wonder if sheik is coming down on me, can I trade with usmash?

But overall, your Mario is pretty cool and would probably tap mine xD haha.
LOL you modest prick. Can't wait to see you beat even more top players with Mario.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Lol, yeah. You can treat Sheik's fall speed(and the hit stun) as a Falcon if you up air her good. That's how you can land that fsmash, so don't be scared to try that next time. Lol, don't worry, I used to be like that and not cape at all. But, as I've matured more, I like to use EVERY move in EVERY way. I want to better myself as a player in general, not just a Mario main.

And by Sheik coming down. Do you mean from your dthrow? Or her in general if she's high in the sky and she tries to dair/nair/fair/bair on her way down to hit you?

I'm just telling the truth, your Mario is pretty dope (: I like seeing different styles. I hope I do really good at the next tournament(Super Smash Sunday).

yield-

Smash Rookie
Do you think it's necessary to have a legit secondary as Mario in order to beat Marth? Is it more worth it to learn a secondary inside out to use in the Marth matchup, or to just try and learn the Marth matchup as Mario?

MasterShake

Smash Lord
Or her in general if she's high in the sky and she tries to dair/nair/fair/bair on her way down to hit you?
This one. I know Sheiks try to do this all day every day, can I just her with the 'ol noggin?

a rookie

Smash Ace
@Mastah Shakez: Yeah, it should trade. If anything, avoid the trade and WD back/forward and fsmash that ish.

@yield-: The Marth MU is pretty bad for Mario(probably 2nd worst imo). But you could always man up and stick it out. The Marth MU is a lot about spacing. If you're not comfortable in your 101 game then I suggest you practice more OR if you honestly think it's too hard, switch to a Sheik/Falcon/Fox/Marth? o_O Lol.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Hey a rookie how does the falcon chain grab work? Also what should I be wary of in the nuetral in the mario falcon matchup?

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hey a rookie how does the falcon chain grab work? Also what should I be wary of in the nuetral in the mario falcon matchup?

Falcon, you need to think about his nair game and aerials obviously. Keep yourself at a fixed distance when you play them to avoid nairs. DI AWAY when he grabs you at all times. By wavedashing back. Stuff his aerials with your up tilt. As for chain grabs: starts around 15-20%. You start dthrowing him at 100% I believe. I'll test it tomorrow to post the actual data.

i'm gonna add mario to my huge playable character list!

are you going to apex, a rookie?

Um, if I find a good job w/ flexible hours, yes! But if not, no =( I've never traveled out of State for a tournament, would be a nice experience!

Wat do vs marth. I've ALWAYS struggled so hard in this mu
Marth is a very difficult MU. Probably a little easier than Sheik, but not by that much xD haha. What you wanna do is out-footsie(Street Fighter term for poking) Marth by using F-Tilt(this is very useful and safer than a random fsmash) Also, take into account Marth's range A LOT. Get grabs for quick damage. Avoid being in the air vs Marth(HE DESTROYS MARIO'S FALLING =/ ). Get up airs, try to avoid using fair. It just doesn't work on Marth since his fair clearly beats yours. Rolling is an ok. Marth can't get too much off of a grab.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Im currently the best mario (fact) luigi(fact) and one of the best docs(untested) in texas, and am looking to snipe the spot for best mario in the us by traveling the world and dueling top marios in a ring of honor as my first goal as a competetive video game player. I challenge a rookie and all other worthy mario mains/players in my quest for glory. Also marth is definitely tge worst mario matchup, worse than sheik or falcon by far, so i wonder why you claimed it to be only the second worst, and it scares me because you might know something i dont.

n0ne

Smash Ace
I think marth MU isnt his worst. Yea its ugly, but manageable.
stuff like lightshielding on platforms while marth is beneath you, reverse nairing whenever u need to, and the front tilt.
Its so good to space against marth. Also, it will clink with his grounded attacks,AND it good vs Marths that like to CC near the ledge. (Itll make em fall to their doom with a dair because they are CCing.
Knowing when to use or NOT use tornado for recovery, or even using cape twice to help your recovery, or even just directly use up b to get to the ledge is trivial.

Sheik and fox are his worst MUs in my opinion.

KoopaTroopa895, ive got some matches from my trip to Costa rica. Ill upload soon.

Papa+Stone

I think marth MU isnt his worst. Yea its ugly, but manageable.
stuff like lightshielding on platforms while marth is beneath you, reverse nairing whenever u need to, and the front tilt.
Its so good to space against marth. Also, it will clink with his grounded attacks,AND it good vs Marths that like to CC near the ledge. (Itll make em fall to their doom with a dair because they are CCing.
Knowing when to use or NOT use tornado for recovery, or even using cape twice to help your recovery, or even just directly use up b to get to the ledge is trivial.

Sheik and fox are his worst MUs in my opinion.

KoopaTroopa895, ive got some matches from my trip to Costa rica. Ill upload soon.
Thanks for your advice man. Against marth though i feel like mario, and even doc just don't have the range or speed to outspace or take advantage of his missed attacks like I can with fox, and maybe this is where I go wrong because I play mario vs marth similarly to how Iwould with fox or falco. Since his range is too short for his run speed/too slow for his range I just try to use a lot of spot dodges. hopefully if i can spotdodge an attack close enough or if he overextends with an aerial on a spot dodge I try to wavedash/roll behind him or jab>grab/dsmash. I feel like marths safer attacks like fair are impossible to punish so I try spacing outside of his range or dodging to try and bait out laggy moves like fsmash or dmash, and even then it sometimes backfires because I can lose a little too much stage control and marios jump is too short and slow to avoid marths ground moves by going over it. I already use nairs and ftilt when i can, but maybe this advice will help in finding new ways to apply them I guess. also I have zero trouble with fox and falco atm but that might change someday

n0ne

Smash Ace
Its common sense in smash really. When ure facing tougher characters, and players using those characters, u gotta use gimmicks thatll help you in situational stuff where usually for ex. A top tier character will be comfortable. Like a marth/fox/sheik defending the edge. Phsycology and being NOT random, but spontaneous.

as personal preferance, i dont cape, spotdodge, roll, getup attackstuff like that. Theres always brawl if u prefer those kind of things, imo, if u avoid the easier things to do, itll help u alot in your playstyle. U can check the mario vids if u wanna see what i mean, OR check my channel
Www.youtube.com/sheleby121/

Papa+Stone

Lol, its not like im a scrub or anything, Im feeling like im giving you the impression that im a roll/cape spammer, I was just wondering why people thought sheik would be a tougher matchup than marth. I literally called out every mario player here for the title of the greatest mario player in an earlier post, so itd be dumb as hell to not be able to back up what i said. Also ive heard of several mario players here already, such as koopatropper a rookie and you back when i lurked these boards, and i feel like im perfectly capable of playing anyone in a mario ditto, hopefully soon if anyone is planning to go to apex or something that im willing to spend plane tickets on.

a rookie

Smash Ace
I AM STILL HERE
Indeed you are good sir. I think your Mario is godlike. A lot more creative than mine.

Im currently the best mario (fact) luigi(fact) and one of the best docs(untested) in texas, and am looking to snipe the spot for best mario in the us by traveling the world and dueling top marios in a ring of honor as my first goal as a competetive video game player. I challenge a rookie and all other worthy mario mains/players in my quest for glory. Also marth is definitely tge worst mario matchup, worse than sheik or falcon by far, so i wonder why you claimed it to be only the second worst, and it scares me because you might know something i dont.
I'm down to Mario ditto. Haven't lost one of those in years, lol :p It would be fun to do that. It's all fundamentals. Sheik is harder imo because her grab destroys you. It's a free kill at 100%. Marth gets a grab, nothing free though off of that. The only thing you gotta worry about Marth is if you're airbound, falling down. That's Mario's hell. Haha. Sheik can get ridiculous grabs off of what you thought was safe.

n0ne

Smash Ace
Papa+Stone, sorry if u got that impression of me. Didnt mean that. its just im actually not really good at explaining stuff , its my bad sorry

Papa+Stone

nah its cool man. I probably should type much cleaning than I do currently myself actually

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
def never heard of you before

Papa+Stone

Papa+Stone where in Texas are you from?
Im from a small little town called katy, but youve probably never heard of it. I can assure you though that you have heard of me though, I am the biggest upcoming new player, famous for exclusively playing mario characters only. I have been self trained, and consistently spar with the greatest falco player on the southside, which is a much higher tier than mario which goes to show just how legit I am. The fact that you pretend to claim that you have never heard of me is insulting to me but I think i can understand why you are so confused. Maybe i was wrong to ignore the players from my homeland, no matter how subpar i felt they were at play doctor mario. So I have decided that to further make my name as king of the marios and embarrass you further I will attend whatever tournament you are wanting to hold.

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
Im from a small little town called katy, but youve probably never heard of it. I can assure you though that you have heard of me though, I am the biggest upcoming new player, famous for exclusively playing mario characters only. I have been self trained, and consistently spar with the greatest falco player on the southside, which is a much higher tier than mario which goes to show just how legit I am. The fact that you pretend to claim that you have never heard of me is insulting to me but I think i can understand why you are so confused. Maybe i was wrong to ignore the players from my homeland, no matter how subpar i felt they were at play doctor mario. So I have decided that to further make my name as king of the marios and embarrass you further I will attend whatever tournament you are wanting to hold.
http://smashboards.com/threads/dime-5-november-9th-2013-plano-tx.341072/

never heard of you and betting you're not that good. prove me wrong.

Papa+Stone

Okay im not gonna drive 5 hours to dallas. Dont you guys hold tournaments at houston? Id definitely show up at those plus ill be able to bring my falco friend and ill mm any of you in doubles. Also your disrespect for me proves you know nothing of me or my revolutionary playing style. Bring an extra pair of pants because youll need them for when we play. (At houston not at dallas)

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
Okay im not gonna drive 5 hours to dallas. Dont you guys hold tournaments at houston? Id definitely show up at those plus ill be able to bring my falco friend and ill mm any of you in doubles. Also your disrespect for me proves you know nothing of me or my revolutionary playing style. Bring an extra pair of pants because youll need them for when we play. (At houston not at dallas)
Here's the next Houston tournament: http://smashboards.com/threads/post...-pats-3-november-30th-2013-houston-tx.341554/
This tournament will have players from all over Texas at it, the first two have both had 45+ singles entrants. Can't wait to see your "revolutionary style" against Texas' top player. Any other Marios who are interested please come as well!

Papa+Stone

They say that it was in fact a mario player that wiped out the dinosaurs, and with his oversight many a new generation was born from his very manbone

Papa+Stone

That will be me after i school you guys, there wont be nothing left of you to whine about my vastly superior skill

a rookie

Smash Ace
That will be me after i school you guys, there wont be nothing left of you to whine about my vastly superior skill

Idk man, I hope you're as great as you proclaim =/ n0ne is the best Mario here so I'd have to see yours in action. You don't have ANY recorded matches?

Papa+Stone

I cant afford a webcam I spent all of my money on melee. My low income is just gods way of saying that my playing style is best left in person

a rookie

Smash Ace
I cant afford a webcam I spent all of my money on melee. My low income is just gods way of saying that my playing style is best left in person
Everything you said sounds like a troll. On top of that, I just saw your joined date. You joined 9 days ago? You gotta be kidding me. Can't take you serious anymore :p

Papa+Stone

But a rookie, may I remind you that you are both my god and idol, and that lying to my deity would be punishable by an eternity in the deepest of the seven hells?

a rookie

Smash Ace
But a rookie, may I remind you that you are both my god and idol, and that lying to my deity would be punishable by an eternity in the deepest of the seven hells?

Don't adopt idol worship. Lol. But for real, stop trolling please. The level of trolling is over 9,000. I can't take this. I'm not that good to even be considered any of that to you or anyone else -____-

Top Bottom