• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Watchmen film

Lib3r4t3

Smash Ace
The reason I believed the movie should be SIMULAR to the comic is that it just seems like they were disrespectful for it. Not that they astrayed. I didn't give a **** that McMurphy's hair wasn't red in the movie, and I respected that movie greatly even with it's differences. It kept respect to the original novel while still keeping this different. I can not say the same for the Watchmen movie. The book made me feel smarter, the movie made me feel like beating my head against the chair's arm rest for a lack of a better object. I also have a difficulty with movies that don't take themselves seriously, something that made me like The Fifth Element less than I could have (not for Chris Rock though. THat **** was priceless haha.).

Also, I went in expecting, wanting, and hoping for a psychological thriller, I felt as if I got an action thriller instead.

On an off topic note, hehe at calling me Liberator. I've had people call me Liberator or Liberty a lot on mistake, and I actually find it awesome. It's Liberate, but feel free to call me any of the three, if you ever address me later.

Edit; as for LotR, I dunno. I wasn't a big movie enthusiast when I gave them a chance, and I just enjoy beating on them really. Bunch of **** hobbits.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
I just want to point out that I think this is hilarious.

And as per the movie. You will never be happy with a work of literature turned movie. Not unless it's a series of 50 minute films that follow themselves in succession. Withing three hours, you simply cannot put everything necessary to make it completely similar, without the movie just screeching to a halt every five minutes. Respect it for what it is. Hell, just be happy one of your favorite graphic novels was made into a movie. I've got plenty of books I'd love to see come to life.

Seriously, this is sort of a pet peeve. Unless it's just completely ****ed with and horribly inaccurate -cough-Dragon Ball-cough-, shut up and get over it.

[EDIT]
Why do we have the same avatar?
[EDIT AGAIN]
Better.

RDK

Smash Hero
While we're on this track--even though it was changed quite a bit from the source material, Apocalypse Now was amazing too, and was borrowed from Heart of Darkness.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Apocalypse Now! was indeed amazing, as is Joseph Conrad (not just HoD, most of everything I've read by him). While we're at it, Blade Runner (director's cut only, plz) is based on Philip K. ****'s novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and is one of the best films ever, and There Will Be Blood (loosely based on works by Upton Sinclair) is a movie that in thirty years, critics will look back upon it as one of the best of the century. Plus many, many more films that are equal too or greater than the source material. Some are amazingly good when based on such crappy novels (2001, SoTL, Shining, I'm looking at you)

...and let's not forget the genius of I Am Legend and I, Robot, these are better just for the sheer fact they have Will Smith in them!!! Less symbolism and development, MOAR ACTION!!!!!!

slave1

Smash Lord
i have never read the graphic novel (comic) so this movie was almost completly new to me.

1. i like how there are no big name actors in the movie.

action movie yes, but this was a huge thinking movie. this is a movie you would have to watch three times to really get all the detail, and the creative work, and the deeper underlying meanings to it.

sex scenes could have been removed. they are just wasted minutes.

good show, but i like a lot of other movies better

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
I thought the movie's ending was better than the book's. Seriously, that "alien invasion by giant squids" plot was bull**** and we all know it.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
I thought the movie's ending was better than the book's. Seriously, that "alien invasion by giant squids" plot was bull**** and we all know it.
It makes more sense to me that humanity would join forces to fight an alien foe. Humanity wouldn't unity due to Manhattan the hate for amerika would just rise even more probably having the opposite effect.

bob-charley

Smash Apprentice
You obviously don't know it if you think it's ridiculous and doesn't fit the story line......
I know the story like the back of my hand. It fits, in the sense that it makes logical sense to someone following the plot. It doesn't, however, match the theme.

The entire novel is a somber, mature look at this alternate version of 1985 in which the only thing keeping the world from descending into destruction is Dr. Manhattan. It's very dark, very grim, but most of all, incredibly realistic... And then, at the end, it takes this bizarre 180 degree turn into absurdity. I understood what Adrian was trying to achieve by it, of course, and about halfway through the novel, I'd realized it would involve some kind of manufactured monster... But to expect that the world would unite in expectation of an exterrestrial attack lead by a race of gigantic telepathic squid things? It's indescribably fantastic, and it's completely out of place.

What Adrian did in the movie fits with the theme like a glove, and what's more, it makes more sense. First of all, he attacks more than one target, ensuring that no major country would have a reason to assume it was safe. Secondly, he didn't create a threat out of thin air, he just "confirmed" what most of the world had begun to suspect when Dr. Manhattan broke down on live television.

It makes more sense to me that humanity would join forces to fight an alien foe. Humanity wouldn't unity due to Manhattan the hate for amerika would just rise even more probably having the opposite effect.
America was one of the first nations "attacked". Humanity would have no reason to hate America for what happened, because the thought that perhaps the US government had sacrificed the city of New York in exchange for the chance to attack other countries would seem inconcievable.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure in the movie that they had Dr. Manhattan attack a lot of different cities, including Beijing and other ones, so it was Manhattan against the world, not just the USA.

Bonehimer

Smash Journeyman
Even if a America itself was hurt by Manhattan i cannot see the world not pointing the blame finger at America.

Top Bottom