• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's Week 30 Matchup Discussion: Ike.

Padô

Smash Lord
This week we are discussing for our friends:

IKE
Annoying Jab, good range, gimpable recovery, good grab range, grab releases all of this with a special and good taste of lag.
Just a preview of him...

Good discussion.

I'm making my post soon, I got a good experience on this.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Only try to grab when you can take his landing, don't even bother thinking about a grounded approach, jab is just that stupid. He can't really space Wario all that well, and generally is forced to play a smart defensive game. Grab = utilt/bair, not too shabby but it's not too disastrous either. Nair at higher percentages will put him in a gimp angle rather hard to recover from, so if you're at a loss on how to kill him you can use that as a last resort (same with dair).

I'm not going to give a ratio, I should play Lullo some more and get to know the MU a little bit better, just giving some basic MU stuff here.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Our grab is average, nothing special...
Anyways, I've played a number of good Wario's, I'll write something up.

Ground: I THINK Ike wins this only because of his jabs and the followups he gets from it, it's even a good setup for a grabrelease. On occasions a ftilt can surprise with it's looooong range, and we have a very good dash-attack in terms of range and surprise-power, which can mess up Wario's aircamping when landing. Wario's Nair also doesn't really pay off when done to Ike on the ground at low%, we can always jab before you can followup with anything (as can many chars, but they forget to do that all the time...).
As for approaching, Ike can make it difficult for Wario's to get in due to jabs and Bair out of shield (landing behind Ike with for example Dair is a bad idea). But when Wario get's in and pulls off a jab or F-smash, we are screwed and lack options to react quickly to the **** we are about to receive. Our smashes are actually pretty good against Wario imo, Wario's like to airdodge into the opponent, which is a very bad idea against Ike, since Usmash and Fsmash can punish landinglag very easy.

Air: Wario wins this every time, Wario shouldn't get hit by Fair in the air, in this matchup, Fair is just a pressure tool for us, nothing more. Nair, however, ***** Wario and his airdodges and sets up for jabs, grabs and Bair if timed right. The short landinglag makes it pretty unpunishable, even on shields. That being said, all Wario has to do is the basic Wario stuff, weave in and out and punish our lag, which we have plenty.

Offstage and recovery: Ofcourse, Wario wins this, his recovery is waaaay better and gimping Ike is too easy for him. One fair at about 20-30% offstage while we use our second jump and we're dead. Airdodging Quickdraw = we're dead, Edgehogging Aether (pefect timing) and we're dead, 20 more options = we're dead. The only thing Ike has on Wario when he needs to recover is our range and our wonderfull spike, along with Eruption/D-tilt for edgeguarding or even Aether to get Wario once he jumps off his bike. All these things are easily dodged, prevented or simple farted on, but it get's things done every now and then.

Important things for Wario to keep in mind:

- We have 2 very good grabrelease kills (Utilt 120, Bair near the edge 90).
- We have jab to reliably setup into grab.
- We have LAG, before and after attacks, abuse this.
- We lack safe options, Nair/Fair being safe on shields, but when airdodged a Fsmash can easily punish it.
- Don't airdodge into Ike if you want to live past 40%.
- Never use Bike into Ike, we can very easy Bair you off of it once you hit our shields.
- Bite is pretty good in this matchup, Wario is all over us so we will be thinking of tactics in our shields much. Don't try to predict rolls with Bite btw, we don't roll, we smash as an evasive tactic.
- Use F-smashes sparingly, we can easily punish it with Bair, Wario is JUST tall enough to be hit by it.
- Never recover with Up-B, we have too many things to mess it up (but that's a Wario-law anyway..)
- Never be grabbed near a wall, you'll get a B-throw to F-throw infinite against the wall.
- If you fight a good Ike for the first time, don't approach or try to mindgame him, you'll probably get overwhelmed by us, watch closely what we do, you'll find MANY holes to place Dair and Uairs, just don't get gready or too confident when facing an Ike for the first time.
- Ban Battlefield, it gives us more options to approach, stay with flat neutrals and CP gay stages like Frigate or RC. Brinstar is pretty good for us, Norfair too, but you can decide whether or not you take the risk.

That's about all I can think off, I think the matchup is 65-35 Wario, we've got a few tricks up our sleeves but it's not enough to catch up with Wario's punishing/speed/gimping/retardness....

Padô

Smash Lord
Ok.

There are some important info I'd like to share.

Just don't try to dash shield into a OoS option his jab will come out faster and will beat any fast aerial you try to pull off, by the way Ike like to space with Nair > 1st Jab you can shieldgrab his nair if you predict the move if you do not attempt jab, jab, jab. Ike is almost IMMUNE to our OoS options, the only one almost 100% safe is the grab lol.

Always approach from the Air with DAir or baiting him for a Nair > Grab or whatever you like just bait a laggy attack from him and fall into a good option. Careful about under the platform camping ****, if they start to do this watch PX Vs Hylian SteakFest finals to learn how to go through platforms to punish bad moves. Ike has got so many trouble with DAir he ain't got a GOOD, fast and safe way to punish it.

Be careful about baiting him in the air, Ike players hardly airdodge through Wario because they know what is coming so they usually FAir us or FF NAir, be aware of those, If you predict they are doing it just AirDodge those options and fall into an Uair or Nair. So as you can see he is easily abusable in the air.

His main approaches are Airdodge > Jab or Nair > Jab both of those are really annoying the jab comes out so fast that you can't react well. If you predict the first one bite his airdodge, on the second one just shield everything than jump out or grab him after his 1st jab hit.

LEARN TO SDI HIS JAB FOR GODS SAKE. SDI his jab upwards and towards him and you should jump out of it.

About Wario Grabs, I like to FThrow and UThrow Ikes, Fthrow and go for a safe option on his landing and Uthrow to rack up some damage with Uair, Nair and maybe Fair.

About recoveries, just dont SH > Airdodge into stage from the ledge it's a free jab for them AND maybe you are getting hit by an USmash and this is pretty nasty, never recover from below he'll ledgedrop UpB you and knock you out from the bike and none of us want this.

About his recovery... We got many options, my favorite ones are Nair'ing their airdodge while trying to go below the ledge, while holding the ledge Bair them away from it, and smart Fair pokes, IMO the best options, you can bite him off stage too but its too risky. Farting him at 60% near the ledge is almost a stock loss for him just be a smart guy and edgehog him in the right time after this. Oh yea I pulled some nice gimps too by biting > fair > fart but its not guaranteed and they usually airdodge after your fair so if you wait a little you can fart him just after this airdodge and, by doing this, there are 2 possible situations: He's getting stage spiked or he is getting gimped lol.

We can camp Ike really hard too forcing him into a unsafe approach and rackin up some good damage :)

60-40 Wario without any doubts

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
70-30 Wario he's a slower marth with a worst ground game aerial mobility and easier to edgeguard.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
I've edgeguarded a lot more Marths than Ikes. What is the proper procedure for edgeguarding Ike? It seems as if he spaces Up-B so his sword doesn't go over the edge of the stage he is pretty untouchable. Especially if he reverses it.

Unless you mean just chasing him off stage and Fair/Nairing him. I'm probably just doing it wrong.

Padô

Smash Lord
HUmpy, you just can't edgeguard him if he gets under the edge he'll UpB you are getting hit and he is grabbing the ledge, YOU MUST chase him while he is AWAY from the ledge otherwise he recovers safely.

Padô

Smash Lord
I'm requesting more votes, since we got a triple tie with (60-40, 65-35 and 70-30, all in Wario's Advantage), so please guys post some numbers :)

Mine's already posted.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Either 55-45 or 60-40. Dont underestimate ike. His fair spacing game is really good and hard to punish. Its hard to kill ike when he spaces right. Ike can kill us with ease. but we can control ike. ill add on later if i feel like it.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm just gonna go ahead and say 60-40. I've gotten the privelidge to play san. He's REALLY REALLY REALLY good, and I don't see a Wario below Bassem's level beating him. And even THAT may be a stretch.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I read the descriptions, and I agree with almost everything, then you lose me at the actual MU numbers. I think it's light wario advantage (for many of the reasons listed above, actually). I'll clarify more on Monday when I get back hopefully.. =( (finish packing in 20 minutes)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Lots of Ikes call this MU about a 55-45, maybe 6-4 for Wario. I also agree with a lot of what was said, but stress that it is hard for Wario to get a good kill move on Ike outside of charged farts (which can be seen coming most of the time) or gimps (which are somewhat risky for Wario in this MU).
Spacing with Nair really makes this match easier on Ike.
Aaand, just wait for San's post for a full Ike's description.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Landing a kill isn't necessarily a hard thing to do, Ike doesn't really have a lot of anti-juggling tools, if you decide to catch his landing rather than uair juggle then you can easily land kill with uair.

Then again, catching Ike's landing with fsmash or catching the occasional (read: inevitable) airdodge with a fart is really a lot easier than in most matchups. Killing Ike isn't hard at all.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Yeah, it's just slight Wario advantage. Ikes need to be super careful about abusing their nair, though. While it is indeed your safest move against us, if we are grounded we can powershield it pretty easily if you're using it even marginally predictably, which means free grabs and free farts (which will **** Ike up something fierce at mid > lethal percentages). Ike should go to stages with fairly low stationary platforms and wall hard (like most people do against Wario). Warios need to be careful when going for gimps b/c one mistake will pretty much guaranteed you die, particularly to his nonsense up B. If you can't get there before Ike does it, don't even bother chasing.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I really want to say it's 40-60 Wario's favor because I've only ever had problems with Ike when I approach too riskily. I'd rather just throw my **** bike at him and outspace him than get jab-grabbed-released or outspaced myself.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
To specify, it's near impossible. You aren't allowed to buffer it because that'd be too fast, so you get a near impossible time window to input your grab in (think 1-3 frames, something rediculous).

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Not impossible. I've been regrabbed a coupled times. It's just pretty useless to do so with Ike in the grand scheme of things.

Padô

Smash Lord
Not impossible. I've been regrabbed a coupled times. It's just pretty useless to do so with Ike in the grand scheme of things.
Same here, by the way its pretty useless If the Ike miss the timing you can just punish him with anything and he does like 3%~5% so it's not a big deal, I usually care much more about GR > UTilt.

Humpy Thrashabout

Smash Journeyman
Any stage recommendations? I probably wouldn't go to Halberd or any stage with a low ceiling (other than brinstar), but other than that I am at a loss.

Padô

Smash Lord
I take Ike's usually to BF or SV. If you want to be really gay take him to Rainbow Cruise, and abuse the hell out of the stage. Depending on the player I take'em sometimes to Frigate.

If you are just biased on how early he can kill you with GR CP Luigi's(notice that he can be really gay here too.) or JJ (if allowed)

Top Bottom