• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892

Am I the only one who HATES what Sakurai has turned Wario into? Why not mention the fact that he is a badass villain who has superhuman strength, steals treasure from pirates, can turn into a vampire, and owns a gaming company? He's so rich that he could afford to buy an entire mountain, as seen in Mario Kart 8. But why waste precious time talking about those trivial details? "lel, Wario is a gross man who farts xDDDD"

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman

Am I the only one who HATES what Sakurai has turned Wario into? Why not mention the fact that he is a badass villain who has superhuman strength, steals treasure from pirates, can turn into a vampire, and owns a gaming company? He's so rich that he could afford to buy an entire mountain, as seen in Mario Kart 8. But why waste precious time talking about those trivial details? "lel, Wario is a gross man who farts xDDDD"
To be fair, they call his Wario-Man form him becoming a "super anti-hero" and they go into detail on its origins. Plus these are mainly trying to be funny. The Yoshi one doesn't talk about any of his adventures with Mario or in his own game series, they just go on and on talking about how weird it is that Yoshi's a dude that lays eggs.

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I've seen this said a lot, but I don't think focusing on Wario-Man is a bad topic. I'll dissect.

Am I the only one who HATES what Sakurai has turned Wario into? Why not mention the fact that he is a badass villain who has superhuman strength,
At first glance, you don't really see Wario, (especially when lined up against Ganondorf, Bowser, and King Dedede) as being "superhuman strong". He's definitely a pretty badass dude, but Pit isn't going to look at a short grinning man with a crazy mustache and immediately assume he's a champion fighter.
steals treasure from pirates,
But Wario against Captain Syrup is really out there. She plays a relatively minor and forgettable part in Shake It (Which is already getting a little bit old) and hasn't been referenced since. Wario Land 2 is even older. I feel like even diehard Wario Land fans can agree this one would have been a bit too obscure.
can turn into a vampire"
This one's kind of bizarre. If Pit and Palutena talked about Wario's crazy transformations, the question would be why doesn't use that power in Smash. And if you're saying you want a Vampire Wario, Spring Wario, etc. part of his moveset... It's another case where Wario just hasn't used this stuff in a recent game. When it's not an obviously nostalgia-baiting character (Mega-Kid), Smash tries to be very contemporary. It's half-fighter, half Nintendo-marketing.
and owns a gaming company?
Now this is the crux of it. Wario's biggest stock is WarioWare and Diamond City. And I agree with you here! The Wario that comes from Diamond City is really well personified, modern, and represents what he actually does in Smash. Captain Syrup, the vampire transformation, this is all small stuff from games not of this generation, but even two generations ago! It's just jarring to have so many old moves mixed into his current design (Which is undeniably WarioWare, not just in Smash Bros, but all his recent games.) I agree that they need to show off Wario's strength more instead of just being a weird fat guy, but I don't think any of his WarioWare stuff should go.

But why waste precious time talking about those trivial details? "lel, Wario is a gross man who farts xDDDD"
Okay, but honestly, Wario is an outrageous character. :4wario: I don't think anyone wants to see the waft go, or at least, I don't. It's just a good time to see Wario fartblast people into the stratosphere and it was hilarious in the Brawl trailer. I think it would be missed if it was removed!

I apologize if I spoke too generally in here, I have a nasty habit of talking plurally but I am really just talking my opinions and thoughts here. It's been a subject that's been on my mind for awhile. Don't yell at me too fiercely for this. ^^"

In short, I think I mostly agree with you. But I guess the trend with the Pit/Palutena discussions is to talk about moves they actually have in Smash less than the backstory. And in that regard, it's probably impressive that they didn't only talk about the Waft. While I love WarioWare, I also loved WarioLand 4 to bits and I'd really love to see most of his weird moves (dtilt, dsmash... dair) be changed into more punches and tackles and the like.

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I was about to like your post, but then I saw this:

Are you KIDDING me? At least it acknowledges his love of gold, so that's... some... thing?

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
That's actually pretty great. It acknowledges Wario's greed, jerkiness, and yes, even the fact that he is gross. It's pretty all-encompassing and better than most. I mean, Diddy gets "the Acrobat" and Luigi gets "The Eternal Understudy". Wario is the "Scoundrel with a Fart of Gold" which you better believe the man himself would find hilarious (he has a very low brow sense of humour).

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I love the scoundrel part if nothing else. Waaah!

Wario's a gross person. This is pretty much par for the course if you truly like the dude.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not sure if this specific example of Wario's grossness has been brought up, but it really annoys me.
Wario's classic trophy said:
"A living embodiment of gross, this villain hates Mario and loves money. He claims to have known Mario since childhood, but who can tell if that's true? In Smash Bros., he's a seriously agile heavyweight fighter. He can store up his trademark Wario Waft for explosive results. Did I mention he's gross?"
I don't mind Smash portraying Wario as gross, but I hate how a move that Wario used in like one game out of Smash (Mario Strikers Charged) gets more recognition than the shoulder bash (which has been used in all of the Wario Land games as well as a few other games).

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this specific example of Wario's grossness has been brought up, but it really annoys me.

I don't mind Smash portraying Wario as gross, but I hate how a move that Wario used in like one game out of Smash (Mario Strikers Charged) gets more recognition than the shoulder bash (which has been used in all of the Wario Land games as well as a few other games).
Ya, getting rid of the tackle was a dumb idea. He does it more in the Wario Ware Inc. series more than he's ever done farting. Wario's Brawl description was way better tbh.

Mario's self-styled rival. He loves money and gross humor. He often sets out in search of hidden treasure. His bold moves come from his superhuman strength and are completely different from Mario's moves. Aside from adventuring, he's also the chairman of game maker WarioWare, Inc. Its franchise game is WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Are we sure it's not NoA's translation team just changing around things like they do for memes and stuff?
Like the your body is ready milestone and all that? What does the Japanese Wario trophy say?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Seems like throwable tires still aren't a thing in the Wii U version if the early moments of this video are anything to go off of. Link starts a dash attack on top of one, but he doesn't grab it.

I don't know if it's just my imagination, but Wario's forward smash seems faster, though.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
was it also already mentioned that supposedly wectoring is not in the wii u version leading people to believe the patch will take out wectoring ?

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Are we sure it's not NoA's translation team just changing around things like they do for memes and stuff?
Like the your body is ready milestone and all that? What does the Japanese Wario trophy say?
Not sure, but the European Wario trophy descriptions is so much better than the NA one.

"If someone who hated Mario tried to draw an ugly version of him, it'd probably end up looking just like Wario. The greedy villain claims they used to be childhood friends, though... In this game, he's a heavy fighter with heavy-hitting attacks. The longer you go without using his Wario Waft move, the more explosive it'll be when you..."let it out"."

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's Wario's beautiful Wii U KO screen animation

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace

Yea, i didn't like what the NA localization team did to his reputation.

But Wario against Captain Syrup is really out there. She plays a relatively minor and forgettable part in Shake It (Which is already getting a little bit old) and hasn't been referenced since. Wario Land 2 is even older. I feel like even diehard Wario Land fans can agree this one would have been a bit too obscure.
The role Captain Syrup she played in Shake It was minor but that was one of my first Wario games I played, and since I finished the original WarioLand recently, it does seem laking. My brother is getting into drawing and interested in Smash comic and we could portray her differently. I planned that she would....

A: Be obsessed with sweets.
B: Be bitter rivals with Wario and The Shake King.
C: Host a sweet shop with all organic candy, syrup, and sugar were Wario, SK, and Link/Tink are banned
And D: have a syrup bottle for her symbol instead of a Jollyroger.

C. Syrup is one of my most anticipated newcomers along with Mouser. (Another obscure choice.)

Not sure, but the European Wario trophy descriptions is so much better than the NA one.

"If someone who hated Mario tried to draw an ugly version of him, it'd probably end up looking just like Wario. The greedy villain claims they used to be childhood friends, though... In this game, he's a heavy fighter with heavy-hitting attacks. The longer you go without using his Wario Waft move, the more explosive it'll be when you..."let it out"."
That description is better than NA's one because it mentions Wario's backstory from Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins.

Here's Wario's beautiful Wii U KO screen animation

Beautiful..... :wario:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
Yea, i didn't like what the NA localization team did to his reputation.

The role Captain Syrup she played in Shake It was minor but that was one of my first Wario games I played, and since I finished the original WarioLand recently, it does seem laking. My brother is getting into drawing and interested in Smash comic and we could portray her differently. I planned that she would....

A: Be obsessed with sweets.
B: Be bitter rivals with Wario and The Shake King.
C: Host a sweet shop with all organic candy, syrup, and sugar were Wario, SK, and Link/Tink are banned
And D: have a syrup bottle for her symbol instead of a Jollyroger.

C. Syrup is one of my most anticipated newcomers along with Mouser. (Another obscure choice.)
Hey, feel free to characterize Captain Syrup as much as you want. I think there's a lot of potential there!
I'm just saying, she's not the first thing that comes to mind when talking about Wario. Ultimately, WarioWare is where the future of our wry mustache man lays.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else notice some new facial expressions that weren't in the 3DS version?

Here's some screenshots I have for Wario:

After an uncharged Waft:

While jeering at people and bike taunting:

These faces are great. I love how excited he gets about dissing the player that beat him. There was just no way Wario was going to be a good sport about losing.

Etc_Guy

Smash Ace
Anyone else notice some new facial expressions that weren't in the 3DS version?

Here's some screenshots I have for Wario:

After an uncharged Waft:

While jeering at people and bike taunting:

These faces are great. I love how excited he gets about dissing the player that beat him. There was just no way Wario was going to be a good sport about losing.
Is Wario competitive? If Daisy was in, her losing animation would be anything but happy, I'm not certain if it should've been the same for Wario.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Is Wario competitive? If Daisy was in, her losing animation would be anything but happy, I'm not certain if it should've been the same for Wario.
Wario is competitive ya, or more accurately, a sore loser and an even worse winner (think of his Mario Power Tennis winning and losing animations). As for Daisy, who cares what she'd do? She's never going to be in Smash, nor does she deserve to be. Team Waluigi all the way baby!

Rakurai

Smash Ace
If they gave him added expression for the uncharged waft, I hope they made him look a little more enthusiastic for the half charged version, as well.

Also,I really need to see seven Warios doing the laughing victory pose at the same time.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Here's some of the new Wario trophies:

Stinks that the characters not involved with Smash just got trophies directly ripped from their Game and Wario artworks. These aren't all of the trophies, so there might be more (doubt it, but maybe there'll be a Wario Land trophy).

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Here's some of the new Wario trophies:

Stinks that the characters not involved with Smash just got trophies directly ripped from their Game and Wario artworks. These aren't all of the trophies, so there might be more (doubt it, but maybe there will be a Wario Land trophy).
Wow... Sakurai, you couldn't make 3D modules of them, I can understand 5-volt though, since she's like that on the Gamer stage, but Mona's had a 3D module before.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
A lot of trophies are just direct rips anyway. Third parties were the onlly ones that got any love. (+Rayman but that was Ubisoft's work)

I don't mind it. The Wario series is pretty much inherently 2D. Even Wario himself has a design that lends far more to 2D than 3D.

Last edited:

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I love Wario's facial expressions, especially the Wii U version's "wise guy" face. Have him walk very slowly, double jump in either direction, or have him do his idle animations and he gets this cool look on his face where it looks like he's ready to kick some ass.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
http://freetexthost.com/d0p6qkll6h

Well all of the songs have been found in the Wii U version, and the only Wario songs that made it were a few of the Brawl remixes, Stonecarving City from Shake It!, and Gamer (which is literally no music at all). For a stage that involves a crazy mom popping out of nowhere in the middle of the night, they missed a great opportunity to add some creepy music for the Gamer stage (such as Forest of Fear from Wario Land 3 or Crescent Moon Village from Wario Land 4).

ALSO NO JIMMY'S AEROBICS ON THE WII FIT STUDIO STAGE! That song would have been perfect there!

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
Wassup! I've decided to make :4wario2: my 3rd main to replace :4tlink: (he sucks compared to :4link:). His playstyle really suits me well, and it's good to loosen myself up by taking a break from the highly technical character I adore. Love Wario's speed, aerials, and mobility. I'll get a video up of my Wario so that you guys can see it.

Anything I need to know about Wario or the boards?

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
I'm starting to get tired of hearing others say "Wario is trash" and "Wario is bottom tier garbage". Why do not many people bother playing Wario? Is it his approach game or just him in general?

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I'm starting to get tired of hearing others say "Wario is trash" and "Wario is bottom tier garbage". Why do not many people bother playing Wario? Is it his approach game or just him in general?
I think alot of people saying that are probably brawl players and just miss what wario had to offer from the previous game (quick super armor foward smash, tires, and his aerial movement speed), and because he seems to be worse without these things i think many people are hesitant to play him .

Vengeance_NS

Smash Journeyman
wario is good but he struggles against a lot of the top tier and high tier characters. characters who can range him and space him wiht normals give him issues big time. and yes his new fsmash is ass.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I wouldn't go that far, but he is far, far worse than he was in Brawl. Won't stop me from using him, but it's sad.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I feel like wario will be getting buffs in the future, but im honestly fine with how he is now, the only changes id really like to see would be maybe a little more range on fair, an easier to use hitbox on bair, maybe short dair to return, also maybe improve his uptilt a bit and id be happy.

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
I've actually been enjoying Wario more than Mario in this game. I'm traditionally a Mario main but I decided to go all wario at a weekly and won pretty solidly. So expect to see me around here more often fellow Warios!

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I wouldn't go that far, but he is far, far worse than he was in Brawl. Won't stop me from using him, but it's sad.
This. He's still usable, but he's a lot easier to punish now, and the removal of the momentum glitch was a huge loss. :cry:

Top Bottom