• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Haha Labernash I love your Wario :D you did really well against Neon! Good to see you are getting that Dthrow chaingrab down, I really need to work on that lol! Oh so I do have a pointer or two for you: the first bit of advice is to watch your punishes! There were several times when you had a NUCLEAR fart loaded ready to go, but instead of unleashing the fury you instead punished with a Uair that didn't quite kill. D'oh! Remember that Wario has a portable nuke, and the best time to use it is to punish! If the enemy lags themself and is open, BAM let em have it!

The second bit of advice is..... moar tires xD they are really quite good against DK! Both the tires and the bike!

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
yea wut pwneroni said but i also suggest you bite moar cause bite is really good against dk trust me:)

Labernash

Smash Lord
Right, watch for waft punishes, tires, bite. Thanks guys! Neon's freaking scary!

Here's me vs a Diddy. I need to learn that MU so bad! I'm always scared and don't know what to do. And I started to get a flow against his Pika there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-ZUOBIuQow

Critique this too please!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Sorry I haven't updated this in a while

Last week of school taking care of lots of work. If anyone wants to take over feel free, otherwise I'll try to update a little more often after this week (Monday).

xzx

Smash Lord
It's okay, PieDisliker! =) If you can update the OP every week or so we would appreciate it really much! =D

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
It would be helpful to watch other Wario players' matches, just to get a basic idea of the things he can do! The best Warios are probably Reflex and Glutonny, so if you want to see some smart play then look them up on youtube!

Here's a really good Wario ditto between Komodo Joe from Washington, and myself. Really a good match!
Komodo Joe (Green) vs Pwneroni (Red) match 1
match 2
match 3

D

Deleted member 189823

Yeah, I've seen Glutthony. He uses Wario amazingly well.

He could even best Ally in a few matches I've seen.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Malcolm vs Fatal

Heyyy a really good set between Malcolm and Fatal at Collision III! Really intense :D we were just discussing the Snake matchup, here is a really great showcase! Even though the bike and tires are absent, Malcolm's Kung Fu style is very effective!

Itsnotmyfault

Smash Journeyman
God that last game stressed me out. I played fatal fairly recently at an upstate tournament, and it didn't go quite as well. Gives me some ideas of what to improve on in the mu, though no tires at all was kind of odd.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
It was a fantastic set! Really top notch farts, and Fatal is sooo incredibly good with Snake's explosives it's amazing that Wario could get through them!

Lord Chair

Smash Master
getup>upb is really really really really bad and malcolm and anyone else should feel bad for using it

unless you play against scrubs then its whatever

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The move comes out on Frame 10, right?

The thing is, if he guesses that you'll move left or right and wants to grab you again, he won't be able to react in time to hit you. The same could be said for doing wake-up F-Smash, wake-up turnaround Jab, or wake-up turnaround grab. Up-B does less damage, is slower, and can be SDI'd out of into a punish, so unless you have platform shenanigans to work with and/or you're sure it will shieldpoke (and even then, it's probably still not worth considering), it's always the worst possible wake-up option for Wario.

Croi

Smash Lord
The move comes out on Frame 10, right?

The thing is, if he guesses that you'll move left or right and wants to grab you again, he won't be able to react in time to hit you. The same could be said for doing wake-up F-Smash, wake-up turnaround Jab, or wake-up turnaround grab. Up-B does less damage, is slower, and can be SDI'd out of into a punish, so unless you have platform shenanigans to work with and/or you're sure it will shieldpoke (and even then, it's probably still not worth considering), it's always the worst possible wake-up option for Wario.
Which is why Fatal didn't expect it :awesome:

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
and thats the kind of scrub reasoning thats keeping you from being a top player
Lord Chair, the smash coach that really cares about you :)

Haha Reflex those matches were hilarious xD I didn't know the edge crash could stage spike, that could be really useful actually! Sweeeet combos and farts too :D

Interesting tire usage against MK

Okay what do y'all think about this video? I am thinking that a really good position to use tires against MK is when you're both in the air, and he is below you. His Uair has transcendent priority, and thus cannot destroy the tire if it is thrown at him. The best he can do is catch or dodge the tire, and you can time and aerial to punish either of these things! Wario can use the ledge and his bike to get up really high while saving his double jump, adding even more flexibility to the situation.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well I'm pretty sure he can still catch it laglessly. I'm sure exactly how easy it would be to punish Uair even if he just accidentally catches it like the guy in your video did. MK has a pretty quick throw animation it looks like.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
It's fairly quick, but compared to MK's Uair (comes out in 1 frame) it takes ages! It's kind of like when D3 tries to use tires, he can't grab you if he's holding one. The rubber wheels can be used in other ways besides what is obvious! :p

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
oh damn I didn't know Chair was a top player, I coulda sworn he really really wasn't. guess he knows what's top though :p.
He's definitely played his fair share of great players, and I've learned more about improving from him than the rest of you. A majority of what everyone else critiques with is, "Great job! That's really cool/useful/interesting," which isn't a bad thing on the surface, but, I know that; I'm looking for suggestions to improve, is the thing.

Interesting tire usage against MK

Okay what do y'all think about this video? I am thinking that a really good position to use tires against MK is when you're both in the air, and he is below you. His Uair has transcendent priority, and thus cannot destroy the tire if it is thrown at him. The best he can do is catch or dodge the tire, and you can time and aerial to punish either of these things! Wario can use the ledge and his bike to get up really high while saving his double jump, adding even more flexibility to the situation.
As far as the video goes, I didn't see anything that stood out to me in the way of learning something new. That Meta Knight player was constantly squandering resources. It seems that if he did a ground move, he will not do anything but ground moves until you're obviously out of range. He didn't try to catch your bouncing tires, didn't try to destroy them at all, didn't catch your bike after you jumped off, and didn't use any B moves to deal with your jumping around him. Smashes were always followed up with Smashes. He didn't run at all, either to shield a tire, to attempt to grab you (his great ground speed poses a serious threat to our slow general movement speed), or just to apply pressure.

As far as how tire use went, I would argue that it didn't help very much, despite all the things I just said. It never really got you a nice juggle; you got a glide toss -> F-Smash, which is fine to try every now and again, but, the most useful thing you got out of the whole thing that would have worked on a more knowledgeable player was punishing the extra lag caused by his hitting your bike. Keeping a tire while above him doesn't really work because unless you still have your mid-air jump while you're there (which requires you to get hit or, like, be on Smashville), he can just Tornado your everything or Up-B if he's on the ground. Between shorthop F-Air, shorthop U-Air, Tornado, and Shuttle Loop, Wario can't get in without taking huge risks, and unlike Marth, Meta Knight doesn't need space behind him to make his boxing-out options perfectly safe.

Labernash

Smash Lord
He's definitely played his fair share of great players, and I've learned more about improving from him than the rest of you. A majority of what everyone else critiques with is, "Great job! That's really cool/useful/interesting," which isn't a bad thing on the surface, but, I know that; I'm looking for suggestions to improve, is the thing.
Problem is, we are all bad. We look to your videos for learning! Most of what I do with Wario is what I've seen you do. I think that if the other top Warios like Bassem, Malcolm, Hunger, etc. Were more active, you'd get the suggestions you need.

You're a talented French Chef and the rest of us have helped our mom make pancakes once.

EDIT: And Lord Chair is one of the smartest Wario's ever. He's really the only one able to make the good better right now. I wish I understood the game like he does. :(

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
lol yeah what labernash said, if I was to watch your videos reflex I'd be like "you should probably...do what refle-oh wait. well do more gluttony stuff"

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, I only brought it up because it seemed like he was talking down to Lord Chair, when he's just trying to help. He's one of my favorite people on this subforum, because he always makes me feel like I have something to improve on instead of stroking my ego.

Personal preference. You're all nice, but, he's unique here in that he's very straightforward and critical, which is refreshing, I think.

Labernash

Smash Lord
He's one of my favorite people here too! He's got dat Lord Chair sass! He's very knowledgable aswell, which is what has gained my respect. He could charge people a fee for indepth critique. Waldorf was just being silly. :p

I love Waldorf too. <3

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Damn I wish I lived near some really good MK players. I was thinking of maybe moving to a low tax small government state someday in the near future, which one has some really good players and a strong smash scene? What about New Hampshire?

With Lord Chair, you have to read between the lines. He really wants the best for you, and won't let your feelings get in the way of improvement. As they say, SUCK IT UP BUDDY! xD

Lord Chair

Smash Master
In advance of Reflex posting his recent videos against Kismet and Ally:

Kismet:
- First of all, just camp the first 30% out like a ****** rather than eating damage.
- If you SDI his jab behind him try to go for a reverse Bite rather than an upair, uair tends to get shielded and is not guaranteed unless your SDI is really really really godlike.
- At 7:00 or so you tried to cover his phantasm with fsmash. It worked out fine in the end but jab would've been optimal.

And then I really didn't have much to say about your matches with Wario against Ally. At all.

Which is good cause I don't have time for walls of text lol.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Uthrow>Bite juggle was interesting.

Also, Ally's DDD is suprisingly good.
I thought you would make the comeback at many times, that sadly didn't happen.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Top Bottom