• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

Labernash

Smash Lord
Well, he isn't very good, so I was able to approach however I wanted. It's not an accurate representation of the matchup, though I did put on some decent pressure.

Maybe I'll be able to record matches against Kismet today.
Oh, that'd be awesome! I need to see how to get out of certain situations and to actually put on some damage.

No idea how to approach safely. And since I have such a hard time getting in, if I ever do, I get really close to him and just try to hit him. Which ends up in me either missing or him shield grabbing me and then I'm back in place of not approaching. Those videos will totes help!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Oh, that'd be awesome! I need to see how to get out of certain situations and to actually put on some damage.

No idea how to approach safely. And since I have such a hard time getting in, if I ever do, I get really close to him and just try to hit him. Which ends up in me either missing or him shield grabbing me and then I'm back in place of not approaching. Those videos will totes help!
Super-small turnout this weekend. We just did a six-man round robin. That said, I did 2-0 Kismet and get the replays. The trouble is, I have no way of getting the replays onto YouTube.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm pretty sure the thread was called "I record your replays" in the Video section of SWF (don't remember if it was by yoshq or not) but giving them to Croi works just as well, lol.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Is there a thread for that or something? Or should I just actively seek out YoshQ?

More matches from Iron Brawl II--
I could record them if you want.
I'm pretty sure the thread was called "I record your replays" in the Video section of SWF (don't remember if it was by yoshq or not) but giving them to Croi works just as well, lol.
Yea you are probably best off trying someone here first. I'm always willing to upload anything mildly interesting for the boards I frequent now that I no longer have stuff of my own to upload.

No need for every single person to go buy 50 dollars of recording equipment.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
@Croi

My prayers have been answered.

You have no idea how long I will be dissecting your 15 games against Marth. It's time for me to learn that MU.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Both playing mehly is better than Raziek playing it perfect and Croi playing it mehly.

But Croi playing it perfect and Raziek playing it mehly; oh sweet pickles.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Is it smart to come in on Marth from above and at an angle downwards with F-air inbetween his F-airs? Or is there something safer/smarter?

Croi

Smash Lord
Not to degrade you as a player, the sets just aren't much of a representation of the MU being played optimally.
Haha, yeah, I know. I could have done so much better but both tourneys my mindset was basically "eh, it's Raziek, I haven't lost to him in months," and when I started to lose I started to panic, and, well, you know. I'll be sure to actually pay attention next time; I know the MU better than this, I promise.

Is it smart to come in on Marth from above and at an angle downwards with F-air inbetween his F-airs? Or is there something safer/smarter?
I prefer to approach him from the bottom if he's in the air. Marth's dair has infinity frames of landing lag and ending lag so they don't really like to go for it, especially onstage, which really gives you the pressure advantage. The fair thing is kind of tricky, but it could work if you're quick to retreat if it misses/soft-spots.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Aye, okay. But as far as getting him in the air: that's the hard part. If he's doing Short Hop F-Air, can't get in from underneath. I try and do the same thing I do for G&W; I stick out F-air as he comes in with an aerial and I weave in and hit him as he's landing, and weave out before he jumps again. I wanna know if this is something that wouldn't be bad to make a habbit, or if there's something more ideal.

Tesh

Smash Hero
In matchups with harsh grab release options, what kind of platform layouts do you prefer game 1? I try to aim for battlefield so I know exactly where I can take risks, but I see you went smashville on that one. Do you prefer the chance of the moving platform saving you anywhere to the guarantees of static platforms?

Just curious.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In matchups with harsh grab release options, what kind of platform layouts do you prefer game 1? I try to aim for battlefield so I know exactly where I can take risks, but I see you went smashville on that one. Do you prefer the chance of the moving platform saving you anywhere to the guarantees of static platforms?

Just curious.
It depends on the matchup for PT, but, in Wario's case, Smashville is much preferred for various reasons. For example, Sheik can still land the U-Smash out of a grab-release, you can't SDI into the second hit from there, and she can poke really well with her tilts if you try to hang out there. The Smashville platform generally makes punishment weaker, since the height difference means you can shield earlier and you don't fall low enough to get hit by certain moves, and you can always plan your offensive options around where the platform is at the time, so that you have a get-out-of-jail-free card from anywhere on the stage.

Against characters with good grab-release options, I'm all about some Smashville.

Tesh

Smash Hero
The height difference on smashville makes a difference you are saying? I didn't know that dang...

Lord Chair

Smash Master
@reflex

At any case, stop making hard vertical approaches the way you do, they don't get you anywhere.

The ftilt business on the ledge is very difficult for Sheik to get past.

He had the habit of jabbing after you naired him at 0% and you didn't really make use of that.

Commit to going for the ledge more often, you kept jumping back into his frametraps after being thrown offstage.

Generally play the MU slower, you're too tempted to trade when your stage control is at stake.

You don't necessarily have to focus on your ground game against Sheik, hers is by far superior. Your ground game should consist of grab and the occasional jab (jab can actually be spaced fairly safe on shield due to her poor grab range). Mind though, I would say that just about every MU.

Keep in mind that pivot grabs either beat her approaches or force her into a disadvantageous situation if she decides to commit to something that resembles an approach. Not that she ever has to approach, just throwing it out.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
@reflex

At any case, stop making hard vertical approaches the way you do, they don't get you anywhere.

The ftilt business on the ledge is very difficult for Sheik to get past.

He had the habit of jabbing after you naired him at 0% and you didn't really make use of that.

Commit to going for the ledge more often, you kept jumping back into his frametraps after being thrown offstage.

Generally play the MU slower, you're too tempted to trade when your stage control is at stake.

You don't necessarily have to focus on your ground game against Sheik, hers is by far superior. Your ground game should consist of grab and the occasional jab (jab can actually be spaced fairly safe on shield due to her poor grab range). Mind though, I would say that just about every MU.

Keep in mind that pivot grabs either beat her approaches or force her into a disadvantageous situation if she decides to commit to something that resembles an approach. Not that she ever has to approach, just throwing it out.
What angle do you recommend for me to start approaching from in general?

Also, for the rest, it's noted; I'll try to make use of it in the future.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It's not really realistic to directly approach Sheik honestly. The MU requires a lot of patience in the sense that you have to force her into a position in which she doesn't have the space to zone you out completely. You just have to nibble down her stage control with the usual empty short hops and shield approaches. Do keep in mind that unless she hard reads a shield approach, she's not going to do a whole lot with it.

In fact, if she doesn't hard read your shield approach it will net you some sort of an advantage that is supposed to lead into something really worthwhile, be it because you're forcing it to the ledge. Getting minor hits in on Sheik leads to ******** setups and big damage, if she gets anywhere above you you are in a situation in which you should consistently be getting grabs or OoS nairs. If you don't land these consistently in this situation you're being either not on-point enough or you're just being severely outplayed (this is a general advice, you exploited these situations appropriately and this is not something you have to work on).

You have safe means of poking her shield with fair, and if you can force a landing in which her front is turned towards you you can bait/punish non-landing aerials with your own fair and bair. rofl that made no sense whatsoever If she has her back towards you you're probably not going to do anything directly substantial to her, her bair will beat anything you have out (unless you get right below her with an upair, of course).

Also note that she is extremely chaseable offstage, especially from below. She cannot afford to space away from the stage unless she wants to risk getting edgehogged. I think you did this fine as well though.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's not really realistic to directly approach Sheik honestly. The MU requires a lot of patience in the sense that you have to force her into a position in which she doesn't have the space to zone you out completely. You just have to nibble down her stage control with the usual empty short hops and shield approaches. Do keep in mind that unless she hard reads a shield approach, she's not going to do a whole lot with it.

In fact, if she doesn't hard read your shield approach it will net you some sort of an advantage that is supposed to lead into something really worthwhile, be it because you're forcing it to the ledge. Getting minor hits in on Sheik leads to ******** setups and big damage, if she gets anywhere above you you are in a situation in which you should consistently be getting grabs or OoS nairs. If you don't land these consistently in this situation you're being either not on-point enough or you're just being severely outplayed (this is a general advice, you exploited these situations appropriately and this is not something you have to work on).

You have safe means of poking her shield with fair, and if you can force a landing in which her front is turned towards you you can bait/punish non-landing aerials with your own fair and bair. rofl that made no sense whatsoever If she has her back towards you you're probably not going to do anything directly substantial to her, her bair will beat anything you have out (unless you get right below her with an upair, of course).

Also note that she is extremely chaseable offstage, especially from below. She cannot afford to space away from the stage unless she wants to risk getting edgehogged. I think you did this fine as well though.
That sounds like I should stay away from stages with a ton of platforms; honestly, in the last few times I've played him on Battlefield, I've found that I do not like them against Sheik, as it makes juggling much more difficult, and it helps her keep me out, even if I get her close to the edge. Perhaps it's just a Battlefield thing, though? I could see it being an issue on, say, Lylat, as well.

How much we can pressure Sheik offstage was really noticeable when I played that set. I'm gonna try to improve my positioning as much as possible next time and try to exploit it even more.

I do need to be more patient, and it shows here. I just get afraid of that grab...but, with how stupidly good defensive options are in this game, as well as how Sheik can't land any really damaging things when I mess up outside of KO range unless I mess up spacing, I definitely see getting better stage positioning and tapping her here and there to keep the opponent on edge would be much more effective.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Yeah platforms are a *****. She can safely commit to needle camping without fearing real pressure. On more open stages you can force her to be more careful with that because you can properly go in with a dair (if you short hop and see her react with charging her needles, you can safely DJ dair and exploit the situation that comes to be).

On BF, you're just a sitting duck really and are forced to make silly SH approach commitments which all get destroyed by just about anything she does. It's vaguely comparable to Falco being below a platform, your don't have any direct counterplay and are dependent on your opponent to mess up in execution, tight though that may be.

On other stages with platforms, I don't think it's as much of an issue. Needle camping is rather bad on Lylat and Yoshi's platform is too high to really cover her. There's no banning BF though, on FD it takes too much resources and time to actually get her to the ledge, you were right in banning it (I assume you did, at least).

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Honestly, I believe you should approach the sheik MU much like the Marth MU. sheik plays very similar to marth but sheik is OBV lacking the range of a Marth. I don't view sheik's needles as a great projectile that forces you to approach but that's just me. Her projectile is predictable and isn't falco's. Stages it doesn't matter you do better on sheik's best stages much like Marth. You don't really need a CP but the same CP's for Marth would apply here. With that said it's not a brain dead MU and you just don't run over shiek Wario doesn't have those types of tools however, it's a MU that should be won more often than not and if played right Wario wins it hands down. Also I think this MU could compare to the C. Falcon MU where they have things on you but it's not enough stuff for them to be able to win. However, if played slopply they're going to win. Although I believe most Wario matches to go like this. All I will suggest to any and all Warios to start running time on people. When Wario start camping some of these characters things change a lot. But Wario supposed go in 100% of the time and never camp while everyone else camps him/sarcasm..... w/e

my bias little anti sheik rant.

I actually have little or no respect for any sheik or sheik players and feel as though if anyone that plays sheik shouldn't even bother and should play Marth. I aslo feel that it's pointless to play Marth and should play MK. Until he's banned and then go to Diddy or Falco.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
They both have half-decent f-airs I guess
It's not about how the fairs but moreso how the characters plays. But of course that's just my opinion and hard for me to explain. It's kinda like Ken/Ryu/Akuma in street fighter. (if that makes any sense)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
It's not about how the fairs but moreso how the characters plays. But of course that's just my opinion and hard for me to explain. It's kinda like Ken/Ryu/Akuma in street fighter. (if that makes any sense)
Like similar in style but different properties?

ie. Ryu's shoyuken has different properties than Ken's.

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Updates:
Removed everything from 2010
Changed the wifi rule
Added Video of the Month at the top. This will encourage people to tell what video they think is most deserving. You can't vote for this current month until it is in the last week or over, so try nominating some videos for November 2011, if you can.

Also vids I removed:
Masky Vs. Seibrik - 1 [Dec-2010
Masky Vs. Seirbrik - 2 [Dec-2010]
Pwneroni Vs. T1mmy - 1 [Dec-2010]
Atomsk Vs. Anti - 2 [Nov-2010]
Pwneroni Vs. T1mmy - 1 [Nov-2010]
Pwneroni Vs. T1mmy - 2 [Nov-2010]
Dynomite Vs. Micaelis - 1 [Oct-2010]
Dynomite Vs. Micaelis - 2 [Oct-2010]
Dynomite Vs. Micaelis - 3 [Oct-2010]
Bassem Vs. Domo - 1 [Sept-2010]
Bassem Vs. Domo - 2 [Sept-2010]