• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty

Labernash

Smash Lord
JNig, watching these later. But that's very impressive making GF's with Lee Martin all the time!

Respect +10

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I posted this a few weeks ago and I have not received a reply...

Why isn't their any matches involving Peach put up on the first post either? I feel thats an important match for Wario to learn.
you can blame me for the lack of peach matches on the first page. As for the other stuff Dyno hasn't update the thread since April and he may or may not be dead. Also the peach mU isn't a must learn for Wario because most region don't have a good peach player making it a rare MU that doesn't need much time being learned (unless of course you're from one of those regions with a top peach player). You're better off learning MU's of characters who are more likely to be seen at tournies.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
you can blame me for the lack of peach matches on the first page. As for the other stuff Dyno hasn't update the thread since April and he may or may not be dead. Also the peach mU isn't a must learn for Wario because most region don't have a good peach player making it a rare MU that doesn't need much time being learned (unless of course you're from one of those regions with a top peach player). You're better off learning MU's of characters who are more likely to be seen at tournies.
FL has a power ranked Peach player so its a match up I need to learn and I see that match up often in SWFL. But I understand what you mean. I only know of probably 3 Peach mains in total.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
@jnig

you did pretty well against lee martin but theres something i noticed when u fought his d3, it seems ur scared about his out of stage game , i suggest when ddd is out of the stage u go and punish him , try to fart him ,fair , etc thats ur biggest opportunity to rack some damage trust me!. About mk some tires can help alot!

@ssguy

good job against that peach and dont worry about losing its not always about winning is about getting better!. Next time you will do better! Try to play a bit more safer agaisnt peach since her moves outprioritize yours and yea camp more on those platforms!

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I learned Peach has a hard time reaching the top platform by watching Masky at a tournament last month. He timed him out at Delfino. Is playing the Marth match-up similar to Peach in any way? What dumb things can Wario do to Marth on stage?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I learned Peach has a hard time reaching the top platform by watching Masky at a tournament last month. He timed him out at Delfino. Is playing the Marth match-up similar to Peach in any way? What dumb things can Wario do to Marth on stage?
I don't think you should even remotely try to play peach like Marth. Those characters are practically polar opposites. Marth relies on his speed and long range moves to space properly and stay safe. While peach relies on her turnips float shenanigans and seemingly lagless air to ground game to apply crazy amounts of shield pressure.

As for dumb things there really isn't anything. On stage but off stage is a different case in general especially if we consider how poor Marth's recovery is.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, dunno where Dyno is. If someone would like to take control of the OP, please let me know.

:phone:

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I honestly think that for most Warios to improve they need to get constructive and in depth advise.

More importantly, they need to be in a position to understand that advise. A lot of elementary stuff tends to remain unapplied simply because they aren't about spacing/MUspecific stuff but rather about active and conscious decision making.

You don't learn that stuff from watching vids if you aren't aware of the reasoning involved in the decisions made. Not only that, the severe lack of high level videos makes it difficult enough ever to get to analyze such a decisionmaking process in the first place. I'd go as far as discouraging any starting Wario player to even bother watching videos in the first place because they tend to be so much off what the character should be played like.

Yeah, what he should be played like. Just said that. Get at me.

That's what I don't like about this thread. Rarely do people actually ask for criticism and when they do the criticism received is usually meh and mostly with regards to execution stuff or MU specific gimmicks. This is a tendency on most character boards but I feel that with Wario this sort of advise is more lacking than with other characters.

What Wario mains need to do (and what this thread needs to actually serve a purpose):
- People need to post relevant matches.
- People need to specifically ask for specific advise.
- People need to be clear about what they don't need to know because they already know it.
- People need to stop giving superficial advise.
- People need to make sure that they're willing to improve and they have to give note of what they don't understand about an advise rather than what they do understand.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I disagree with watching videos when you're just starting a character to be bad, Chair. Even if you don't understand the character, watching videos--both good and bad--demonstrate how a character can and should not be played. When I started playing Bowser, I watched literally every video of all the top Bowsers to see how they played and then compared that with how I play. Then I'd copy certain movements or techniques I saw them execute and experiment with those in my style. If I had any trouble, I'd ask the Bowser boards. I soon started uploading as many games as I could so I could get them critiqued.

After I felt I had progressed as a player, I went back and rewatched all the older Bowser videos from other top Bowsers and was able to pick up on bad habits and things NOT to do with Bowser. For example, Ixis was my inspiration behind my playstyle. I loved the way he moved with Bowser, and he was the ONLY Bowser utilizing jab canceling, which has now become a staple of my Bowser. However, Ixis has a nasty habit of Klaw Hopping on "autopilot" mode and gets dumped on as a result. Seeing Ixis get bodied in the air so much made me start playing more grounded, and it helped a lot. When KingKong asked for critiques of a match against a MK some time ago, I told him to jump less. Next tournament he got 3rd and said my advice helped him a TON.

I'm a very visual person, so watching good and bad examples helps me out a lot. That said, in-depth MU discussions are still a HUGE help. When coupled with videos, it's even better. Most of my film knowledge comes from all the books I've read, for example, but a good chunk comes from research DVDs and interviews.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I'm sorry but I'm going to have to invalidate your whole post with the following:

I was referring to Wario specifically.

That wasn't meant to be harsh.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Not to mention the inactivity in actually responding to the videos people post. Not only do we need better critique, but we need CRITIQUE!! I'm about to get the hack for longer replay saves and I bought and SD card so I could finally get some videos up for said purpose.

But dat Chair wisdom. Nomination stands.

I'd do it if I knew how, but I don't. And LC is active and beasty.

Edit: Well, I actually agree with Zig AND Chair. New players who watch videos of top players can see what's going on, more so than learning. Watch the clock. Masky vids, 0 minutes left. If your matches last one minute and you lose, slow down. That sort of thing. Not to mention reading the critiques of other Warios. Not just watching. And as Chair said, you won't get some stuff from watching videos. You really just neeed to go to tourneys! Practice it, then re-watch videos.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
The ****.

Like, I'd actually critique indepth if I felt like anyone would give enough **** to actually improve.

that was poorly formulated, what im trying to say is that i dont feel like anyone cares about my opinion

or understands it

:X

Labernash

Smash Lord
I'm the essence of wanting to improve!

Well, when they ignore what you say and get their PP spanked in bracket by a Wolf, then they'll learn. I, personally, take all the advice I can get. If every Wario combined their knowledge, that'd be a beast Wario. So, I listen to mostly everyone.

Labernash

Smash Lord
It'll be tricky to get on Skype. I think my older brothers computer has a built in web cam, but not sure. Other than that, no Skypes for me. =(

But we'll see!

Edit: Skype not web cam only? See I told you I need critique.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I honestly think that for most Warios to improve they need to get constructive and in depth advise.

More importantly, they need to be in a position to understand that advise. A lot of elementary stuff tends to remain unapplied simply because they aren't about spacing/MUspecific stuff but rather about active and conscious decision making.

You don't learn that stuff from watching vids if you aren't aware of the reasoning involved in the decisions made. Not only that, the severe lack of high level videos makes it difficult enough ever to get to analyze such a decisionmaking process in the first place. I'd go as far as discouraging any starting Wario player to even bother watching videos in the first place because they tend to be so much off what the character should be played like.

Yeah, what he should be played like. Just said that. Get at me.

That's what I don't like about this thread. Rarely do people actually ask for criticism and when they do the criticism received is usually meh and mostly with regards to execution stuff or MU specific gimmicks. This is a tendency on most character boards but I feel that with Wario this sort of advise is more lacking than with other characters.

What Wario mains need to do (and what this thread needs to actually serve a purpose):
- People need to post relevant matches.
- People need to specifically ask for specific advise.
- People need to be clear about what they don't need to know because they already know it.
- People need to stop giving superficial advise.
- People need to make sure that they're willing to improve and they have to give note of what they don't understand about an advise rather than what they do understand.
Whether the person you give advice to gets it or not doesn't matter. Someone else may understand it and it can help them. So it's better for you to have that advice at there so that someone who's trolling the boards and doesn't even post can potentially read it. Than just offer up no advice to anyone.

Not to mention the inactivity in actually responding to the videos people post. Not only do we need better critique, but we need CRITIQUE!! I'm about to get the hack for longer replay saves and I bought and SD card so I could finally get some videos up for said purpose.

But dat Chair wisdom. Nomination stands.

I'd do it if I knew how, but I don't. And LC is active and beasty.

Edit: Well, I actually agree with Zig AND Chair. New players who watch videos of top players can see what's going on, more so than learning. Watch the clock. Masky vids, 0 minutes left. If your matches last one minute and you lose, slow down. That sort of thing. Not to mention reading the critiques of other Warios. Not just watching. And as Chair said, you won't get some stuff from watching videos. You really just neeed to go to tourneys! Practice it, then re-watch videos.
You really shouldn't push stuff onto other people. If someone wants to run this thread then they will step up otherwise it will continue to go with no updates.

you do realize that if i were to take over this thread thered only be 10 or so vids up there

edit: disregard that probably like 5
See man and I used to catch so much **** when I was running the thread because I wasn't putting up everyone guy that decided to play Wario. Oh wells that's the past though.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Sorry; just joking around. I just wish there were more people here capable of keeping things going! But it's whatev's.

I can't get the homebrew channel working. =(

Croi

Smash Lord
Gonna validate these claims about ****ty videos by posting ****ty videos of my ****ty Wario.

Ahead of the Curve tournament, November 19th
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtIPcIAnBik :luigi: :peach: :pikachu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFgIBxfxPPY :marth: winners finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC1S_soTMnY :ike: losers finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJDBxS_2dY :marth: grand finals 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRRSvrRrgG0 :marth: grand finals 2, fought this a-hole fifteen times this tourney

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnG0fuwf2ig Crew battle, sexy Wario time starts at 19:12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aF0ejxDJB0 doubles with :ike:. We did pools for doubles this tourney; we had to win against this team in a shutout if we wanted 1st place.

Last Gamestore Monthly 8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ80VXesY7M :dedede: chickened out and went Fox game 3 :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tm-ZgnKO5k :pit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jwFV-IM1xU :marth: winners finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyDL6GNJ3XM :popo: :marth: losers finals
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP7Iy4w1p_8 :marth: grand finals 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwAlfz7-ZNU :marth: grand finals 2. Fought this a-hole twenty seven times over the course of one week, in actual tourney matches.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Dolphin Slash makes a dolphin noise?!?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Oh, and I downloaded Skype! Wew!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I'm actually tempted to take it up myself but I'd change the rule about wifi vids and keep it in its own category, with a spoiler so that it's not implied that they're up to par with offline vids. And I'd probably remove the 2010 vids, since they seem a lot more out of date now and the new year's coming by.

But I'll only do it if you guys think I'm capable of it. I've been a mod on Brawl Domain for almost a year (but now I'm ex-staff) and managed a ton of stuff similar to this. I'm also hoping to show to more irl tournies and I'm potentially going to become a TO, so I think I'm going to be taken a bit more seriously around here on SWF. You guys think I can handle it, I'll update it.

Edit: Actually, lol. I forgot that spoilers on here aren't clicked to be opened. I'll have to think of something else for it, maybe decrease the font size or something.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Thanks for posting that Reflex! I've been looking for a good Falco match. I need help with that Falco MU, Olimar MU, and Diddy and Snake for good measure. Been searching around all day today. Phew!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Thanks for posting that Reflex! I've been looking for a good Falco match. I need help with that Falco MU, Olimar MU, and Diddy and Snake for good measure. Been searching around all day today. Phew!
Well, he isn't very good, so I was able to approach however I wanted. It's not an accurate representation of the matchup, though I did put on some decent pressure.

Maybe I'll be able to record matches against Kismet today.

Top Bottom