• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Q&A Thread

pikmin.org

Smash Apprentice
I'm...pretty sure. Not sure if the tenths numbers affect it (like "72.4%", which the game does keep track of).

That said, a stale D-Throw would just move up the range of number. A single-staled D-Throw would just be able to start the chaingrab from something like 56-75%. The minimum percent also moves up, you see.
Oh, so the starting range moves up, not down? I see. Do the finishing percents for the chaingrab stay the same still? Thanks for the info guys.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah; as far as I know, going from 53% to 120% would have it staled ten times, which is the maximum.

xzx

Smash Lord
If people wonder at what %s Wario's chain grabs start and end just head to the Wario Technique Thread - it's all written there. What's interesting though is how high the number of the damage meter of the character who gets chain grabbed can be at maximum. For example, the CG on CF is from 0% - 70%. Wario can't chain grab him once CF's damage is like around 30%-40% or higher. I think it's good to now when a CG can start so one doesn't actually get surprised.

Anyone care to delve deeper into this or should I research this field?

Croi

Smash Lord
how do i beat marth (there is someone besides leon and ramin)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDADqzbhyds
When you edgehog against his recovery, try staying on the ledge longer than your gut says you should. This is a general thing that I see everyone do against Marth and his Dolphin Slash, but your ledge invincibility lasts way longer than you think it does. Check it here: most people would have rolled up from the ledge, and I was itching to myself, but you can hold on for longer than you think.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
yeah, you are right. i am just too afraid of getting stage spiked, but i should not underestimate my invicibility frames, thanks!

xzx

Smash Lord
Stage spiking shouldn't actually occur (much) since you can tech it. But in times when one is nervous, chances are high that one will mess things up quite much... I also wanna give you some props, (S!C), since you have improved a lot from what I last remember.

Croi

Smash Lord
What stages should we ban vs G&W? Stages with platforms I'm assuming - BF, Delfino, Halberd? Counterpick FD, Smashville, PS1 if you're willing to play ghey?

xzx

Smash Lord
I would ban BF. I don't think we like when characters control space - the smaller the stage is, all the more space characters like G&W (who is really good at controlling space around him) can control and "fill up" the area with hitboxes. I wouldn't actually ban Halberd against G&W since G&W already can KO you at ridiculously low %s. Although the smaller the stage is the more he can control space, it's better to have it that way so you can try to score early KOs on him as well. Also, if he already can KO you at ridiculously low %s at bigger stages (like YI and FD), then why not trying to do the same on the given small stages? Of course, his spacing gets a little more dangerous but at least there aren't any profitable platforms for G&W (mostly the ones on BF och LC).

(Gosh, I hate battling Vs. G&W...)

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys! I was wondering what are the basics of wario. What are the must learn things for a beginner to wario.

Tyvm :)

xzx

Smash Lord
Avoid getting grabbed and avoid getting grabbed. Oh, and keep it aerial. Wario is a an aerial character after all. His range is bad so you don't want to get zoned. Try to get in your opponents and cause mischief. His stache isn't only for show y'know...

Nah but it's hard to give concrete tips. If you feel Wario is a character for you then go ahead. Otherwise don't put effort in him. He's an odd character. You must have patient when playing him and be careful of what you are doing, which attack to use, where to land, taking risks, trying to punish etc. The sole reason I main Wario is because he is the most fun character to play with.

Sometimes his issues are disappointing but on the other hand his strengths makes up for his weaknesses but not entirely. What I mean is that while Wario can be hard to grab (if you play him slippery) thanks to his aerial mobility, when he gets grabbed you're for the most part screwed. His range is also bad but is somewhat complementing with Wario having good air speed. So Wario is a really balanced character.

What else can I say - practice with him. Oh, and do not really get grabbed cause you will just suffer so hard from it.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Ahh I see thanks!! I main pikachu... But I've been playing wario for awhile and he's soo much fun!!!
and yes I've heard, don't get grabbed :p

also I've been hearing that wario's clothing changes his strength or speed. Like classic wario is stronger, is that true?

xzx

Smash Lord
That is false. His clothing has nothing to do with stats. Although he might seem a >bit< bigger in his Biker/Plumber costume, his hurtbox data shows otherwise: His hurtbox is the same no matter of what costume. So pick the costume you like the most. =)

LOE1

Smash Lord
welllll for biker wario you can see he belly bulge when he has a waft ready, and for classic wario you cant. I still always use classic though :)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
It's really hard to explain the Diddy MU because there are a billion subtleties that make the difference between ****** and getting *****. For every viable option you have you need to understand the entirety of the MU and all of the options available to you. I could tell you that under circumstances you can break the double nana peanut wall by biking over the nana(s) but if you'd just throw it out like that you're probably going to get ***** anyway cause it really requires a very specific situation to be effective. Dairing his shield can be safe, nairing his shield can be safe, using tires can be safe, camping can be good, aggro can be good and his fair is only circumstantially broken. Writing a guide on how to play against Diddy is probably as time consuming as a guide on how to play Wario in general. Watching matches is the most obvious go-to next to playing the MU for 1000 hours yourself. The main thing to keep in mind is that in this matchup you always have counterplay, you can almost always force decisions and you have a lot of room to edge towards favorable RPS situations.

I'll be the first to advocate the use of Fair, as I will in nigh every matchup.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
There's no point in doing that. It's not a particularly horrible situation, I'd say it's a tiny bit more in Diddy's favor because he gets to decide what happens. Having your bike out there basically means you're left with fewer options because it doesn't really offer you anything. If you have a lead Diddy will just keep throwing nanas at it until it breaks and unstale his entire moveset, if Diddy has a lead he'll just peanut camp anyway. You can use it to give yourself some breathing room or to charge your fart if you have some master plan because Diddy can't really force the destruction of the bike either. Throwing nanas takes a while and it does give you the opportunity to seize control of one of them.

It's just that once the bike gets destroyed some cluster**** of items happens and you're not necessarily going to get a whole bunch of advantage out of that. I feel like Diddy does a better job in gaining control of the situation because Wario's main ways of picking up items are aerial and require him to land. Diddy has more of a ground game which gives him the means to accelerate the situation in his favor. A-pickup a tire and just retreating a downwards glide toss is done in a blink of an eye and gives him all the control he needs (especially because his throw strength is so dumb). If you want to pick something up it's gonna have to be through a hopped Z-pickup/catch and at that point you're going to have to throw the item away (as slowly as Wario does) and then have to land before anything else is going to happen. Worse: you don't have immediate access to your bike, which would counter a bunch of glidetoss options Diddy has at his disposal at that moment.

TLDR: Nah.

Sylarius

Smash Ace
That is false. His clothing has nothing to do with stats. Although he might seem a >bit< bigger in his Biker/Plumber costume, his hurtbox data shows otherwise: His hurtbox is the same no matter of what costume. So pick the costume you like the most. =)
Is this legit? A friend of mine told me a few days ago that Biker Wario's hurtbox & hitboxes were both slightly larger than classic Wario.

xzx

Smash Lord
Is this legit? A friend of mine told me a few days ago that Biker Wario's hurtbox & hitboxes were both slightly larger than classic Wario.
Why would Sakurai (during the already huge time pressure he had) wanna focus on something like doing smaller/larger hitboxes/hurtboxes for the same character? It's just costumes, nothing else. Your friend is wrong. However, the only slight advantage the biker costume may have is that Biker Wario's (or "WarioWare Wario's") "belly bulge" is visible. But that could also be a disadvantage since your opponent can see it too. It's still much better to stick with looking at the timer, since your opponent may not know at what specific level the waft is at a specific time. Theoretically, the biker costume may be better/worse, but I don't think the naked eye can catch much from Wario's already fast moving movements. However, the seconds before the waft has reached its final level, the belly bulge is somewhat visible though. So with this said, can we agree that the costumes is just preferences and has nothing to to with stats? =)

(I remember for a long time ago that a Wario video was claiming that the Plumber Wario was better than the Biker Wario. Obviously it's false.)

EDIT: The belly bulge applies to both Wario Costumes, meaning that it really doesn't matter which Wario costume you choose - what I earlier wrote about (that the Biker costume only had this belly bulge) doesn't really matter. However, it's easier to spot the belly bulge on the Biker costume than on the Plumber costume, according to me. That is the only advantage/disadvantage there is, really.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb/4/41/WarioBellyInflation.gif/343px-WarioBellyInflation.gif
http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb...lls.gif/285px-WarioBellyInflationOveralls.gif

xzx

Smash Lord
Looking at the Timer is always the best way to keep track of Wario's Waft - you can know exactly how many seconds you have until the next level of the waft. It's extremely useful.

Waymas

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys can you give me some advice on the lucario MU? I'm having trouble against him.

xzx

Smash Lord
Don't approach much and be very patient. He's really defensive so never land near him. Also, put unwanted pressure on him and try to get into him (like always). Getting him off stage is always a big plus. (Maybe this is obvious information...)

LOE1

Smash Lord
save your ko moves if possible to kill him earlier, try not to stale them. waft is pretty important in this mu, so be sure to get them lol. try to use fully charged wafts to kill him off the top only, or if he is at really low %.

LOE1

Smash Lord
he'd have to be pretty ballzy to do that lol, or you can just it after you bait his airdodge :p

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Lucario has no reason to airdodge unless he hard predicts a low uair. He doesn't have to be ballsy to try and beat fart with dair because there is no particularly hard time window involved. In fact, you would have to hard read a down air in advance and have ridiculous timing skills to actually have it hit.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Luis can I spam DACUS and beat people in this game? I was beating people who actually play this game having never used Wario before last weekend.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
No, Wario's DACUS isn't a particularly good one against knowledgeable people. You can SDI out of it and bonk Wario for it unless it's spaced out really well, in which case it is a little easier to avoid in the first place.

Wario plays largely the same way in Brawl as he does in PM, though. Rising F-Air, smart grabs, etc. Not that hard to transition with good fundamentals, IMO.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
aight lol
after apex gimme a few months and i'll be killing people
if i decide to

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You're assuming Wario is a good character. You'd likely beat the same people using Donkey Kong, which is much more satisfying and takes less time overall.

Top Bottom