• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Uhhh

It's an incredibly fun platforming series, go play all of them.

Noticed a lot of threads being made recently asking for help about our charming treasure hunter CEO. If you have any questions and need help in playing Wario, ask here!

I'll edit the title if you guys don't like it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I much prefer WarioWare tbh.

Anyway, does eating the Bike charge Waft up faster?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Any good advice for playing Wario in general? General playstyle and situational advice? Thanks in advance, the character is so fun to play, but I don't know in what way his kit is supposed to be utilised.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Wario's main weaknesses? This character has been giving me quite a bit of trouble lately.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Any good advice for playing Wario in general? General playstyle and situational advice? Thanks in advance, the character is so fun to play, but I don't know in what way his kit is supposed to be utilised.
For starters, you can never Chomp too much. It's a quick, air-usable grab with a lingering hitbox that shuts down both shielding and sidestepping, and is thus extremely easy to land if you can get close enough for it. Learning how to B reverse it consistently is essential, as his back air is very unsafe if gets shielded or doesn't auto-cancel, whereas the bite is difficult to punish on anything other then a whiff, and thus the superior option if you ever end up with a grounded opponent behind you at close range.

You still want to mostly be in the air like in Brawl. Just remember that his lower air acceleration means you can't afford to get as close to your opponent as before while trying bait a punishable reaction from them. Saving your double jump so you can instantly change direction is more important then before as a side-effect of this.

Wario's main weaknesses? This character has been giving me quite a bit of trouble lately.
Wario's lack of range is his biggest flaw.

Play it safe, space him, and don't throw out random aerials, because his high air speed almost guarantees that he'll be able to move in and punish you if you whiff.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
On top of what Rakurai said, try to consistently land waft. Find various ways to bait and frame trap your opponent into it.

Without the waft, Wario's kill options can be a bit limited. His smashes are mediocre and can be unreliable, so your main is to try to gimp off stage (or outright kill with BAir, DAir or even the waft.). FTilt is your primary move on stage if you want a kill. FThrow can kill as well at high enough percents near the ledge.

Also learn how to edgeguard with Wario. This is an area he excels at really well. Just with the Bite alone he can stop so many of the opponent's get up options, so try to capitalize this position to get as much damage as possible.

CometShred

Smash Cadet
NNID
CometShred
3DS FC
3325-2480-3048
so I've been recently trying to main Wario. I played him a little bit in brawl and the 3DS version, and just wasn't sure if there were any tip that veteran Wario players could send my way!

such as:
combos
how to land waft
etc.

THANKS EVERYONE :D

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
To add onto what spino said, eating things that heal you add 1 second to the waft timer.
Ah, thank you, I feel kinda stupid making my topic now lol but I like the bike ledge eating idea although I wouldn't doubt that's old.

My apologies, hope something was of use.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
so I've been recently trying to main Wario. I played him a little bit in brawl and the 3DS version, and just wasn't sure if there were any tip that veteran Wario players could send my way!

such as:
combos
how to land waft
etc.

THANKS EVERYONE :D
Merged your thread here. :]

Check the posts here for help!

As for combos. Wario doesn't really have any bread and butter combos. Though know that you can combo bike into a wheelie for an addtional 8%, and that at certain percents a sourspot nair can combo into all his aerials and his waft, but it's dependent on the opponent's DI.

CometShred

Smash Cadet
NNID
CometShred
3DS FC
3325-2480-3048
Merged your thread here. :]

Check the posts here for help!

As for combos. Wario doesn't really have any bread and butter combos. Though know that you can combo bike into a wheelie for an addtional 8%, and that at certain percents a sourspot nair can combo into all his aerials and his waft, but it's dependent on the opponent's DI.
after playing a good amount of For Glory matches with Wario, I definitely picked up on some of the bike tricks! such as the hitting them with the wheelie, and using it to get them off the stage to try and land wafts for possible KO's / Stage Spikes but I'm still finding it hard to hit with the waft. Also whats the easiest way to jump of the bike, sometimes i end up killing myself because I some how get stuck on my bike and it won't let me jump off!
but I'm definitely going to keep following these threads and to learn more and hopefully get better! I'm just still new to this site and learning how to navigate it!

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
after playing a good amount of For Glory matches with Wario, I definitely picked up on some of the bike tricks! such as the hitting them with the wheelie, and using it to get them off the stage to try and land wafts for possible KO's / Stage Spikes but I'm still finding it hard to hit with the waft. Also whats the easiest way to jump of the bike, sometimes i end up killing myself because I some how get stuck on my bike and it won't let me jump off!
but I'm definitely going to keep following these threads and to learn more and hopefully get better! I'm just still new to this site and learning how to navigate it!
Jumping from the bike always has a delay, it's just a matter of getting used to it so just keep at it. As for Waft, I can't really tell you how to properly land one beyond saying to try and bait your opponent into it. You have to have some patience with it. Off stage is probably the best place to land it, though. Don't get too discouraged if you're consistently whiffing, just focus on finding various ways to land it and the timing for it. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. It's not meant to be an easy move to land after all.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I've got the Chomp B-reverse down and realised how useful it is, but I just have a question about the move: does not biting keep the opponents in his mouth for longer? Does anything other than the opponent's damage affect how long they're trapped?

I'm mainly asking because I want to know how to Wariocide effectively.

CometShred

Smash Cadet
NNID
CometShred
3DS FC
3325-2480-3048
Jumping from the bike always has a delay, it's just a matter of getting used to it so just keep at it. As for Waft, I can't really tell you how to properly land one beyond saying to try and bait your opponent into it. You have to have some patience with it. Off stage is probably the best place to land it, though. Don't get too discouraged if you're consistently whiffing, just focus on finding various ways to land it and the timing for it. Eventually you'll get a feel for it. It's not meant to be an easy move to land after all.
i pulled this off after taking your advice about trying to land waft off stage!

I've got the Chomp B-reverse down and realised how useful it is, but I just have a question about the move: does not biting keep the opponents in his mouth for longer? Does anything other than the opponent's damage affect how long they're trapped?

I'm mainly asking because I want to know how to Wariocide effectively.
i think it just depends how fast your opponent is mashing out of it

Last edited by a moderator:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
Hey guys, I'm just starting to practice with Wario (Luigi/Dedede main). I played him a few times on the 3DS version and thought he was fun but not really that viable.

Last night I gave him another shot, and just immediately fell in love with his aerial mobility. Fair is such a disgustingly safe approach move, his punish game is ridiculous (he can punish moves that almost no other characters can), Bair is strong and rising Dair covers a lot. Chomp is definitely the best command grab in the game, and there's so many great things you can do with the bike and the waft.

I just wanted to know: Anything I'm missing or should be practicing? Just general tips on Wario would be greatly appreciated so I can bring this disgusting man with me to some tournaments soon.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Hey guys, I'm just starting to practice with Wario (Luigi/Dedede main). I played him a few times on the 3DS version and thought he was fun but not really that viable.

Last night I gave him another shot, and just immediately fell in love with his aerial mobility. Fair is such a disgustingly safe approach move, his punish game is ridiculous (he can punish moves that almost no other characters can), Bair is strong and rising Dair covers a lot. Chomp is definitely the best command grab in the game, and there's so many great things you can do with the bike and the waft.

I just wanted to know: Anything I'm missing or should be practicing? Just general tips on Wario would be greatly appreciated so I can bring this disgusting man with me to some tournaments soon.
You should definitely go take this disgusting man with you to some disgusting tournaments and disgust everyone with disgustingly safe f-airs and other disgusting moves. Disgusting...
I don't really have many tips for you as I'm still looking for tips myself, but have a look at the other posts in this thread about b-reversing chomp and such. Also u-air is very good for juggling opponents who are above you.
Also f-tilt is a good kill move at high percents, and f-throw is Wario's strongest throw.

Is it okay to be using Corkscrew as a kill move? I haven't properly checked its knockback yet to see if it actually is one.

Last edited:

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
No, Corkscrew doesn't kill. Which is really weird because it seems powerful enough to

CometShred

Smash Cadet
NNID
CometShred
3DS FC
3325-2480-3048
No, Corkscrew doesn't kill. Which is really weird because it seems powerful enough to
if corkscrew is up-b then I've used it to kill, just up throw and then jump and use it, kills at the top of the map pretty easily ... but maybe I've just been lucky

Ludiloco

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ludiloco
At the very top of the map it roofs them, yeah, but from the stage or just above it corkscrew doesn't kill until like 180-200%

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I've killed with the Corkscrew off stage trying to recover while my opponent is actually at reasonable kill percentage (well, as reasonable as 120% is). All with rage tho, and probably bad DI.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I actually have a question about corkscrew aswell. Is corkscrew out of shield useful at all? It seems like you should always do up smash out of shield since they both have about the same hitbox, and ups mash does more damage/kncokback ? Anyone oboe of any situation in which corkscrew out of shield would be a better option than up smash.?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Up B comes out much faster then up smash, and can even be used to interrupt certain jab combos if your opponent is close enough and you time it well.

Basically, you can punish things with even the slightest amount of lag with up B, but you need to be selective with up smash; moreso because its forward hitbox is smaller then the backwards one.

Last edited:

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
while standing on the platform after dying and your invincible, does the time count towards your waft ?

Makzutheamazing

Smash Cadet
while standing on the platform after dying and your invincible, does the time count towards your waft ?
Wario waft charges ALWAYS. Even if you die, or do anything else.
Also i did some tests with Wario Waft. Wario waft takes about 1 minute and 50 seconds to be fully charged. When wario eats his bike, the Waft timer will be reduced by 2 seconds and wario will be healed 1%. With normal items that can be thrown (Magamans metal blade, Peaches turnip) the timer is reduced by 1 second and will also be healed by 1%. Also if Wario eats any healing item (Pacmans pellet, Game and watches apple) its effect will be 1.5 times better! Oh yeah and almost forgot, Wario does not gain waft from energy projectiles (Samuses charge shot, ZSS stun gun). You know that its a energy projectile if you cannot interact with it (Pick it up, jump on it) and you dont gain health from it.

Well thats all. I also did a research about what item/projectiles wario can eat but im too tired to post them now.

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
What's Wario's frame data on his special moves? Is there any comprehensive list of frame data for Wario?

Thanks!

Narwelch

Smash Rookie
NNID
Narwelch
What are some things that every Wario main should be doing? I love Wario so much and want to take my Wario to the next level. I don't have footage to ask for specific tips, but I'm sure there are some Wario fundamentals that I'm unaware of.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
What's Wario's frame data on his special moves? Is there any comprehensive list of frame data for Wario?

Thanks!
We don't really have comprehensive frame data for his specials, unfortunately.
What are some things that every Wario main should be doing? I love Wario so much and want to take my Wario to the next level. I don't have footage to ask for specific tips, but I'm sure there are some Wario fundamentals that I'm unaware of.
Merged your thread here. Check some of the post here for help!

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Hey fellow Wario mains :)

Do you think d-tilt is a reliable option?
I like it because if i sh fair / bair I can fastfall and d-tilt, which 'covers' the front of Wario and can deny some OoS options. (e.g may come out before a grab, or you can space around a shield grab, then d-tilt to punish the wiff.) It can also 'combo' into itself and grabs, if you catch your opponent with it.... But it does have very bad range.

tl;dr - should I continue to spam d-tilt after aerials (or when grounded) , or is its range too small for it to be good or reliable?

Mr. Mistersen

Smash Rookie
Hey fellow Wario mains :)

Do you think d-tilt is a reliable option?
I like it because if i sh fair / bair I can fastfall and d-tilt, which 'covers' the front of Wario and can deny some OoS options. (e.g may come out before a grab, or you can space around a shield grab, then d-tilt to punish the wiff.) It can also 'combo' into itself and grabs, if you catch your opponent with it.... But it does have very bad range.

tl;dr - should I continue to spam d-tilt after aerials (or when grounded) , or is its range too small for it to be good or reliable?
Dtilt is definitely a great option. I prefer using two dtilts into a ftilt to get them off stage or for a high percent kill. Never tried it with grabs though.

Edit: played with it a little more on my bus ride and 2 dtilts into ftilts seems like the more reliable option that does21 damage if all three hits connect, this can also be preformed at higher percents (~80) where as you can only do two dtilts into grab at very early percents and the damage is still a bit less.

Last edited:

Cheers

Smash Apprentice
Is there any reliable combos to land Warios fart? I've seen Abadongo use the 2nd hit into waft and I've had some success with the bike tilted forward into waft (in the air of course).

Kai_64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kai9001
eatting yoshi eggs has really strange timing.. Or maybe I'm just bad at it.

Last edited:

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
Is there any reliable combos to land Warios fart? I've seen Abadongo use the 2nd hit into waft and I've had some success with the bike tilted forward into waft (in the air of course).
I can sometimes get fair --> waft (when we're both in the air) Ive also gotten the 2nd hit nair --> waft and im pretty sure its more reliable. Bike --> waft might be the coolest combo in sm4sh. :)
i think you can bait an airdodge between fair strings and then punish with a waft.
(e.g fair --> fair, wait for airdodge and then waft)

edit: just waiting for an air dodge during any combo and then wafting is good.
You can also d-throw tech chase on some characters (e.g falco) and then finish with a waft.

Last edited:

GravyJigster

Smash Rookie
The character does not seem limited. He's actually good, and really fun. I tend to get better by watching vids, but there's really nothing available. Is there anyone beyond jeepy to watch? (he's really good though)

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I personally do not like bulky characters, so Wario has never appealed to me.

Wario is strong, but his attacks are short-ranged. He also can not perform many combos, so not many people go for him competitively.

Tip: Wario's motorcycle is excellent for horizontal recovery, and you can also jump off of it for an extra boost.

Phez_

Smash Apprentice
I love and play Wario because of his frame 5 d-tilt and his fair is amazing. Probably my two favourite moves in sm4sh :)

Sachmoo

Smash Rookie
IMO, Few people play him because he isn't exactly the easiest character to use. Extremely Gimmicky and risky. Plus people love projectiles and while his bike can be useful as a item, as i said earlier, its more of a gimmick.

Ogono

Smash Rookie
FD and BF I found out a new tech(i hope its new) for Wario only on these stages, I will post eventually :)

Top Bottom