• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wanting to become a pro

Zodiac

Smash Master
If only the brawl general discussion had a compendium of knowledge like melee's does. this wouldnt happen

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
If only the brawl general discussion had a compendium of knowledge like melee's does. this wouldnt happen
agreed.

@Igoos: Grabbing the ledge with the full intent of preventing someone else from grabbing the ledge is called "Ledge Hogging".

You can do stuff with Ganon in low tier tourneys (that's where they ban the better half of the characters from the tournament). Meanwhile though, use King Dedede or Diddy Kong for tournaments. Diddy Kong is actually in really good standing. Right now he's practically the second best character in the game.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Ganon has at least some potential at low-tier tourneys. Lets keep it at that.

D3 players have been going extinct lately, along with Pit, lol. D3 has some horrid mu's and his attacks are extremely predictable. Plus, there's been a discovery about breaking out of grabs nearly instantaneously lately, so he might not be terrific as a main. He's a rather decent secondary to Diddy though.

Sonic is annoying, mainly because he's not actually fast: his attacks are slow, and his primary method of winning is to stall out the 8 minute tourney timer each match. Diddy is ABSOLUTELY TERRIFYING in proper hands. He has terrific smashes, aerials, throws, approach methods, and even a rushdown with his bananas. What's really fun about Diddy is that there are so many ways to play him (aggressive, defensive, more/less reliant on bananas). He requires a lot of practice to get right though, especially all of his banana tricks.
Hmm King Dedede is such a fun character to play and I can say he is quite slow and can be predictable but he is still a tough character especially if you can't space on that match. As far as Pit there is either a good one or a bad one. No average or anything else between the two. I rarely see good Pit players. I can say more Japanese players use him and are very good with him. I personally think for Sonic he could have been a bit more better than they made Sonic to be. I'll leave it at that on Sonic.

Diddy is quite interesting I'll say. The only drawback is while he is good he still a light hitter regardless and Diddy can't afford to stale out his best kill move. Good players aren't going to fall for Diddy's Dair spike but your right about how Diddy can be played in many ways which keeps him interesting and makes him a tough character to face.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Hmm King Dedede is such a fun character to play and I can say he is quite slow and can be predictable but he is still a tough character especially if you can't space on that match.
I remember when D3 used to be like 4th place on the tier list...he's an alright character. But I play Oli, so I troll D3 and Ike like it's my job :troll:
The only drawback is while he is good he still a light hitter regardless and Diddy can't afford to stale out his best kill move.
Diddy gets a free kill with a banana lock at high percentages with any of his smashes. His throws are awfully strong for a light-weight too.

Life

Smash Hero
Igoos: Seems you've stumbled upon edgehogging. It's far from a cheap tactic (you can usually be easily hit from the ledge with good timing on the opponent's part, depending on which character your opponent is recovering with) but the fact that you think it's cheap and are willing to use it anyway is, as corny as this will sound, a sign that your mindset is good for tournaments (the answer to "cheap" is "get better").

The general act of keeping an offstage opponent from recovering is called edgeguarding, and it's crucial to be at least semi-decent at it since a recovering opponent is vulnerable and you can get free damage.

I'd recommend working on your Diddy. Learn some basic ATs and apply them, maybe try an infinite or two if you're feeling gutsy, whatever, but there's a reason most of us consider him second in the game (tier list hasn't been updated in a while). And think of it this way: if you can't think quickly enough to play Diddy, can you think quickly enough to beat him?

Also, practice a ton. With people, ideally. Wifi, while much hated for the lag, is the easiest way to get people to practice with, if you're like me and don't know anybody. Ideally you'll want to play people offline tho.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
I agree with IC. Diddy P-I mean Diddy Kong is a beastly char when in the right hands, and although he might not be as OP as MK, but he can still devastate a match if he gets in the right posistion.

Just so everyone knows, I will define edgehogging and edgeguarding from what I personally know:
Edgehogging: When a char is close to grabbing the ledge but you have jumped and grabbed the edge and kept him from grabbing it. It is possible to fight against an edgehogger with the Up-B, but it's kind of a 50/50 affair.
Edgeguarding: When a char has already grabbed the ledge but you use a low attack (for example, Ike's d-smash) to knock him off his ledge. Also possible to fight back against. The higher the opponents damage is, the more viable edgeguarding becomes.

I hope I helped you.

P.S. ATs can mean Assist Trophies or Advanced Techniques, and in the cases of tourney play, it means Advanced Techniques, as items are banned in tourneys.

Igoos

Smash Cadet
Yeah, a while ago I discovered that AT are advanced techs.

I was training with Diddy and his Glidetossing and it's very complicated for me. When I going to use, it isn't a natural movement of my fingers. I took like 1 - 1,5 secs do prepare the movement and sometimes I even don't do it. I barely survived in a match with my brother (he was using MK) but I saw an advantage that Diddy give me: psychological pressure. My brother was very annoyed and irritated; during and after the match. He made so much mistakes due to the frustration of slipping all the time that if I was more faster and experienced with Diddy, he wouldn't even be able to do a thing against me. Punishing all day, every day man :p.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
Glidetossing ain't the only tactic man, and I know how you feel...I spent the whole of yesterday perfecting my Ike's RAR.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Edgeguarding: When a char has already grabbed the ledge but you use a low attack (for example, Ike's d-smash) to knock him off his ledge.
It just means to prevent the character from getting back onstage. Like hitting a recovering character so they can't recover aka gimping sometimes.

Glidetossing
You just roll and press A, though the timing takes a bit to get used to sometimes.

You pretty much just pivot and then bair.

Edit: If you think those techniques are hard, try CG'ing and desynching with the IC's. Learning the timing of 3 individual CGs for every character, and the different desynchs / keeping them desynched will make you wanna shoot the poor little Inuit children. It's probably why so little people use IC's.

Life

Smash Hero
And of course there's Pika with over 100 ATs (though most are useless or close to it).

GT isn't actually that bad. Roll + Cstick a direction to throw. You'll get used to it pretty quickly. Now, PSNL on the other hand... (that stands for Perfect Single Naner Lock. Yeah, it's possible to infinite the whole cast with one banana. Have fun)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Now, PSNL on the other hand... (that stands for Perfect Single Naner Lock. Yeah, it's possible to infinite the whole cast with one banana. Have fun)
lol

Grizzfinite is muuuuuuch easier.

Doesn't work on luigi though iirc.

But yeah with glidetossing, eventually it just becomes a natural part of your banana game, and it's really good for spacing.

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
That's the fun on Diddy. He can effects other players mentally because they get irritated and frustrated by the bananas and the fallow ups Diddy can do with them. Especially Banana locks which for those who never played Diddy that can do that can easily get annoyed with. Fast action and input on the hands but I enjoy the rewards so all the work needed always comes with lovely results. =)

Top Bottom