• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

want CLOUD STRIFE in brawl? official thread.

pac_man

Smash Rookie
If your argument is that Cloud Strife would be a misfit for the franchise, then you need to give it a little more tought. Seriously, look at the characters that your playing with. The entire game is a whole misfit of characters. You have a blue hedgehog fighting with an intergalactic female bounty hunter and an electric yellow rat.

Cloud would be a good pleasent surprise. Im sure it would please a lot more people then it would anger. If you think about it, looking at all the other choices that there are, what else could be that much worse? Beats the hell out of a pichu or another pointless pokemon being there.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Mario vs. Link

Snake vs. Samus

Link vs. Cloud

Destiny pulls the strings. The third fantasy battle will probably happen on SSB 4 so don't hold your breath.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
No

Coud should definitely not be in brawl.
I personally don't like Cloud as a character but for strict bias reasons that won't be my reason.

Cloud pretty much represents the big split between nintendo and square. Square on Nintendo consoles made some of the most memorable RPG's of all time and it's a shame that this had to happen. Though they've made up somewhat Nintendo doesn't really get any big releases from them anymore, though I can't say I entirely blame them what with the other hardware options they have to work with.

I highly doubt Nintendo would want something like this represented in their game.

just my 2cents

Z. Hoot

Smash Cadet
pretty much no. i mean, he'd be pretty unbalanced right? In his movie he just flying over the place and carrying this giant sword at the same time.

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
Cloud would be awesome in Brawl and I think he would fit right in with Link, Ike and other swordsmen. He could just have some of his Limit Breaks as specials and Omnislash as his Final Smash. And people keep saying that he was never on a Nintendo system, but he was on Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for the GameBoy Advance. True it was a crappy card game, but it still puts Cloud on a Nintendo system. Unfortunately, though I think it would be cool if he was in Brawl, I do think others like MegaMan are much more likely to get in.

nobletoast

Smash Journeyman
The sword he carries is mighty big. Think he's compensating for something?

But seriously im sure if there was a Square Enix character then Geno will get the vote.
If there was two it would be Geno and Mallow or Chrono or Frog.
If there was about seven square enix characters they would be the four mentioned and three other Final Fantasy characters who played a major part in the Nintendo FF games ie - Black Mage.

Thats what I think anyway. He's better than Sora but then again that means sweet FA to me. No Cloud. No.

3D King

Smash Journeyman
If Square Enix had a character of theirs put in Brawl, the most likely candidate would be Geno. If it had to be a FF character I think they would use something/one that was a bit more important for Nintendo and was more reoccuring in the FF Series aka Black Mage, Moogle, or Cactuar (lol)

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
I'd love Cloud in brawl (or Sora but this is a Cloud topic so I'll stick to him) for a couple reasons.
1. People would hate to see him in brawl and I love playing characters that people hate.
2. Some people I know would quit the game if he was in the game, good less idiots to deal with.
3. FF7 is a great game, regardless of what people on the net say.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Coud should definitely not be in brawl.
I personally don't like Cloud as a character but for strict bias reasons that won't be my reason.

Cloud pretty much represents the big split between nintendo and square. Square on Nintendo consoles made some of the most memorable RPG's of all time and it's a shame that this had to happen. Though they've made up somewhat Nintendo doesn't really get any big releases from them anymore, though I can't say I entirely blame them what with the other hardware options they have to work with.

I highly doubt Nintendo would want something like this represented in their game.

just my 2cents
truth....

Cloud means to nintendo just regrets....lots of them.... and by fa5 one of the most painfull punishments received by sony. So no.

I'd love Cloud in brawl (or Sora but this is a Cloud topic so I'll stick to him) for a couple reasons.
1. People would hate to see him in brawl and I love playing characters that people hate.
2. Some people I know would quit the game if he was in the game, good less idiots to deal with.
3. FF7 is a great game, regardless of what people on the net say.
Indeed_... FF7 is a mark in rpg history no doubt..... but even that dotesnt help cloud tpo get in... for the reasons mentioned before,

If someone from square would get in... they would be mascots or characters from the super nintendo days.... and even them have slim chances.

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
truth....

Cloud means to nintendo just regrets....lots of them.... and by fa5 one of the most painfull punishments received by sony. So no.

Indeed_... FF7 is a mark in rpg history no doubt..... but even that dotesnt help cloud tpo get in... for the reasons mentioned before,

If someone from square would get in... they would be mascots or characters from the super nintendo days.... and even them have slim chances.
Yeah my comment of FF7 didnt mean he had a boost of chances to be in Brawl, just saying it was a great game but gets a lot of hate on the net lol.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
He needs to be in Brawl or another Smash game down the road. We need to find out once and for all who is the better swordsmen. Link or Cloud?

super ginger kid

Smash Apprentice
The remnents of planet Phaaze or that carboard box
if you think about any character that anyone mentions probably wont be in it, but people want them in there because they had fun playing as them in other games.
cloud is like the most popular ff character, so he probably be in it if there was going to be a ff person.
i am pro. cloud(even though he wont be in the game)

(off topic)where could i get those little boxes like devotion has(sora and marina)

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
He needs to be in Brawl or another Smash game down the road. We need to find out once and for all who is the better swordsmen. Link or Cloud?
He doesn't NEED nor DESERVE to be in any Smash game. He done absolutely NOTHING for Nintendo whatsoever. And don't give me Chain of Memories cause
that wasn't actually Cloud you know. Just a copy produced from Sora's memory

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Characters that have APPEARED, not ORIGINATED.

People ALWAYS mix up two of Sakurai goden rules.

-Must have ORIGINATED in videogames. (meaning not shows, anime, or manga)
-Mast have APPEARED in NINTENDO systems (despite where they originated)

InjuredPelican

Smash Cadet
I think if Square Enix was going to have a rep, it would be Cloud, regardless of what people think. The big question really is if Square Enix would want to do a cross over. When Kingdom Hearts came out for GBA, Nintendo Power really made an effort to show Cloud was in the game, with most screen shots revolving around his role. Why is that? Maybe because he's super popular. So Nintendo would certainly be willing, it's just up to Square Enix.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If Square would give a character, it would most definitely either be Chocobo. He IS the mascot, unlike what MOST people believe.

The guy has undeniably appeared in more games than any other square character.

Not only that, but he has his own franchise, ever since the days between Final Fantasy VII and VIII. And the series is very popular in Japan.

And Chocobo has done WONDERS for Nintendo. Cloud has done the exact opposite.

slisenberg

Smash Cadet
Squarre would give geno or crono or something. cloud's done nothing. cloud's in one game of no dignificance and has no iconic status for nintendo. he will not and should not be in.

InjuredPelican

Smash Cadet
If Square would give a character, it would most definitely either be Chocobo. He IS the mascot, unlike what MOST people believe.

The guy has undeniably appeared in more games than any other square character.

Not only that, but he has his own franchise, ever since the days between Final Fantasy VII and VIII. And the series is very popular in Japan.

And Chocobo has done WONDERS for Nintendo. Cloud has done the exact opposite.
Sonic used to do the exact opposite of helping Nintendo as well. If Cloud were in Brawl he would help Nintendo out by selling even more copies of Brawl.:lick:

vesperview

Smash Hero
tidus owns cloud.
ffx was the best ff game. ffx-2 sucked. ffvii was pretty good but it has nothing on ffx
Final Fantasy X? The best of the series? Yeah right!

Most Final Fantasy games have nothing on VII, it's the one that revolutionized the franchise, not too mention Cloud is the FF lead, with the most spinoffs and appearances.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
As off early 2000, Sonic the Hedgehog has done nothing but increase Nintendo sales. SEGA fans have flocked to Nintendo ever since Sonic Advance. And he still continues to increase sales with each game released. Sonic has his solid franchise. You can't even compare Cloud with Sonic.

Where in Nintendo is Cloud? In a game practically noone cares about.

The type of competition SEGA and NIntendo had back then, was a benefit to both, since both companies spawned awesome games as a result..

Square was kinda like Nintendo's right hand for a very long time. Cloud represents the great treason which could've plunged Nintendo into the dark ages.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd love to play as a moogle or a chocobo in brawl......however I usally like to think of every character suggestion in a good way but I just can't see it with Cloud, I think priority of square characters would be:

1. Sora
2. Geno
3. Chocobo
4. Moogle
5. Cloud

He may be really popular but don't forget who the main character of the nintendo game he appeared in was....that's right Sora. I just don't think Sakurai will want to put a character in that didn't have that big a role in the game really. You've been able to play as Sora, Geno, Chocobo and a Moogle(ff tactics) on a nintendo console. However we have never been able to play as cloud on a nintendo console.

I'm sorry but when you think about it Cloud has less chance then all four of them.

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'd put 6 and 7 on about the same level. Both absolutely brilliant games.
As someone said quite convincingly, though, 7 is the big hit after Square drifted away from Nintendo...
That doesn't look good on the game's resume.

I'd really love for a character from 6, but it's not that popular in Japan, it seems, and has no clear protagonist.

Most of all, though, Geno is highly requested, from a title Nintendo and Square cooperated on AND they were already willing to just give away the character for an insignificant cameo in some minigame in a Mario RPG.
I'd say Geno is the nail in the coffin of any Final Fantasy character.

Not to mention that there's also Crono.
... well, and the Chocobo, but I don't think that mere mascot status gets you a spot in Brawl.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
Most of all, though, Geno is highly requested, from a title Nintendo and Square cooperated on AND they were already willing to just give away the character for an insignificant cameo in some minigame in a Mario RPG.
I'd say Geno is the nail in the coffin of any Final Fantasy character.
but geno is a mario character.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Pikachu is pokemon's mascot......and he got in brawl.

I think mascot status will get characters in brawl because he ties in with popularity aswell.

Fawriel

Smash Master
A Mario character owned by Square.
I doubt that any company would get more than one of their character in Brawl. Though this is kind of a special case that might allow for it. *shrugs* No idea.

EDIT: Sure Pika is the mascot, but that's not all...
Chocobos just don't have anything to offer over someone like Cloud-frikkin-Strife or Cro-frikkin-no. Or... Ter-frikkin-ra! This is fun.

Ludwig Van Beethoven

Smash Cadet
There are so many reasons why Cloud should NOT be in brawl.
First off if someone brings up the whole Sonic deal, Cloud and Sonic are not similar AT ALL. Mario and Sonic were the classic 16-bit video game rivals and nowadays Sega has decent relations with Nintendo and releases Sonic games on Nintendo systems. Cloud however was never a video game rival to ANYONE, was the emo protagonist in one over-hyped(In my opinion and many share this view FF7 was extremely overhyped, I personally liked FFIV and FFVI over it but this isn't even the reason so moving on.) and Square pretty much screwed out Nintendo by releasing the game on playstation. He really has no significance and the only people who support him are either fanboys or delusional. This would just add yet ANOTHER swordsman to the roster which we have enough, if they REALLY wanted to add an FF character Black Mage would be a much better choice as he originated on NES, would be unqiue with magic attack, and is more prevelant in the FF series. However I doubt they'd want someone from FF in brawl and if a square char would make it as stated earlier Crono or Geno would probably be the choices. I realize Cloud will never be in Brawl, but just the fact that a few people want him in it is frustrating. Also no I am not completely biased, I've played through FFVII and enjoy RPGs and FFVII was decent but by no means the best in the series nore was Cloud anything special.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
A Mario character owned by Square.
I doubt that any company would get more than one of their character in Brawl. Though this is kind of a special case that might allow for it. *shrugs* No idea.
But its still a mario character. All they would need to do is give credit to square. He's as much of a 3rd party character as Vaati or saki (who already got in as an assist trophy) is.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well I actually loved final fantasy 7 and it deserves every amount of hype and praise but clud still doesn't deserve a place in brawl in my eyes anyway. He just doesn't work in with everything...

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My thoughts on the priority list:

1.- Geno (Can't deny he's one of the most requested, and the fact that he's considered 1st party)

2.- Chocobo (being a mascot, and the character with MOST appearances and cameos in Square-Enix DOES earn him a spot)

3.- Crono (being made by BOTH SQUARE AND ENIX before they fused is definitely a points up. Way to represent both companies at the same time).

4.- Cloud (yeah, he's a lot more popular than SORA, and even though his role was poor in Nintendo, he doesn't have much red tape to cut through)

5.- Sora (a liscencing NIGHTMARE. Square-Enix + Disney + Buena Vista is not finantially WISE to do)

Top Bottom