• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Me and Niven will be teaming up, and should be there for singles.

Muzga

Smash Ace
I'm going to be having a smash meet (not pk brawl) on the 23rd for anyone who wants some friendlies and to practise for the singles.

If you dont want to come, thats fine but you are welcome to if you want to

Oh and mic, are you vouching for niven coming to the singles as well? or is it just you confirmed?

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Sam and myself (Alex) will be attending the doubles Tournie (lets see if the twin connection pays off). Am considering a name, but all thinking it could be strange if we are the only ones :p. At this stage i dont think we will be able to make the singles, we normally have a band rehersal that clashes, so we try not to miss it too often.

Muzga

Smash Ace
also, will we be bothering with a 2v2 losers bracket?

EDIT: Woo! Team names!

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, 2v2 will be double elim, we have 8 teams in now so it should work fine (but that doesn't mean more people should sign up, if you're out there).

Muzga

Smash Ace
how are we going about the prizes?
is it 80/20 split so that both the winners get 40% each?

Tumnus

Smash Rookie
Does anyone live near maylands/bassendean that would be interested in practicing every now and then? probably weekdays mostly.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Sweet, that's 8 teams confirmed for doubles, so we will be fine to run a smooth double elim :D

I've noticed lately that a hack has been released to remove tripping from Brawl and am considering looking in to it for application in tournament matches (only tripping will be removed and no other changes will be made). What do yous reckon? I'd be happy to see it gone personally as it introduces unwanted probability and while it is rarely fatal it can disrupt the flow of your playstyle and annoyingly rob you of opportunities (which seems to happen to me a lot).

Muzga

Smash Ace
I dunno, With friendlies it seems like a good idea, but if we havent modded our wiis, holding tourneys with no tripping on would force the rest of us to mod if we want to practise properly. it's a good idea fundamentally, but im against holding a tourny with it. if anyone else wants to do so, fine by me.
I hate tripping, it's stupid and a pointless addition to the game made deliberately to annoy serious players by punishing them for moving too much in this game. i acknowledge it's stupid and frustrating but out of fairness i'd opt not to use the code in tournies.

Shiekah

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately I disagree with both Muzga and Mic in this. Me and Muzga had a lengthly discussion across msn where we both argued about why tripping should or should not be removed from brawl (yeah we were both pretty bored).

I see it this way. Tournaments are designed to be fair, the best way to do this is to remove luck as an obstacle. This is why items are removed from tournaments, because of their random appearing nature. Tripping is more or less the same thing, it is a random occurance that cannot be determined and as such is a completely luck dependant factor. You cant really argue that you cant practise for a tournament properly unless you have a modded wii because nobody (from what im assuming at least) considers the probability of tripping when creating their own gameplay styles / techniques.

Also, just because it requires a certain hack to be performed is definetly not a factor to consider when deciding whether or not tripping should be removed. I'm not saying that hacking your wii/game is the way to go, far from it. What I am saying though is that if everyone agrees that tripping should be removed during tournaments and someone is there that HAS a hacked game then it is only logical to use the hacked game yes?

For example: Lets say that it was theoretically possible to have an online version of Smash Melee that is COMPLETELY lagless but in order to do this, a certain hack is required. If I had this hack and so did another person in a different country and we wanted to fight eachother for the sole purpose of seeing who is better, then it makes sense for us to use this lagless online 'feature' in order to fight eachother. Alternatively we could both meet up somewhere spending however much money/time only to achieve the same goal as we would have if we were to play online.

Looking at the 2 options, it makes logical sense to take the online route as it is more optimal and effecient and serves no disadvantage. When it comes to removing tripping, the same holds true. Tripping is a random event that CAN potentially create the difference between winning or losing. As such, if everyone agrees that tripping over is an unfair feature to the game (I dont think anyone likes the idea of random tripping over) then it only makes sense to remove tripping from the game if it is an option, just like items have been removed.

Conclusion: Dont let the idea that we must resort to hacking in order to achieve a much desired goal scare you away from using it. Nintendo made a mistake by adding random tripping, we are merely doing what needs to be done in order to fix it. "The end justifies the means"

Muzga

Smash Ace
A bit too convincing there Sam...
Yeah it was an epic debate. always the worthy advesary.

I agree with sam. Tournaments are meant to be fair. In order for a tournament to BE fair, it needs to be balanced.

When you practise for a tournament, you have a few options. training mode, Basic brawl.. Etc.
And when you practise, you go through the motions. You do whatever you feel is neccesarry to help you prepare for an upcoming tournament.

To me it seems foolish to try and make everyone in a tournament scene like the one we've got at the moment to change their way of play. If we are seriously discussing making no tripping a tourny standard, in order for it to be fair for everyone, those who want to prepare seriously will need to mod as well.

Tripping makes a big impact on your subconscious way of playing. There is a reason i don't Dash dance in this game. that is tripping. tripping forces people to short hop more and incorporate more aerials into their mixup. if i didn't mod and i entered a no tripping tourny, the number of gameplay options i would have would change. If im playing a game against sam or jon, assuming they've practised no tripping, that change alone can cost me a place in the tournament we're holding, as well as my 5 bucks.

Needless to say, it's stupid to try and force all serious tourneygoers to mod.
For what?

Samuel chooses to suggest that no tripping is a superior way to play. I agree with that point. that being said, Making tripping a tourny standard is practically forcing all serious tourny goers to mod. Why?

Though tripping is stupid and random, It is stilll a part of this game we play, and a factor we have all already adapted to and gotten used to. by CHANGING the game we are playing, that alone gives advantages to those who mod.

Although I agree that removing tripping would be a step forward in the metagame, unless there's a way to ensure that we can all practise with no tripping, without modding, No tripping will never be fair.

To be forced to mod to have a fighting chance, to me, seems ludicrous!
(Just to clear this up, i HATE TRIPPING WITH A PASSION)

Muzga

Smash Ace
anyway, lets not scare away any potential new entrants and drag this out on here.

Remember guys, doubles are on the 30th, singles are on sep 13th. keep the entries coming.

Synnic

Smash Rookie
Ultimately its is up to the majority of the smash community on what to do with this matter.

To me smash has ALWAYS simply been a chance for me to get together with other fellow gamers and have a great time, even at tourneys, winning to me isnt something all that special. I wont go as far as saying i support Sakurai's decision of putting random tripping in the game (no i havent gone past that point...yet) but with the addition its given me another form of entertainment in smash. I can confidently say theres been many times ive tripped where i got a good laugh out of it then followed by a <insert facepalm.jpg>.

tl;dr I'm a fence sitter.

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Personally i don't have a problem with tripping. I like the random factor it adds. I don't feel that it occurs so often that i am constantly affected by it, and it gives the opportunity for an opening to be created from it. I feel that we only really notice it when it occurs at critical moments, which do occur it's true, but we then inflame how problematic it is because thats the only trips we remember. I also think that tripping prevents Brawl from turning into Melee somwhat, which I am all for.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Hm, seems that the removal of tripping is a far more controversial issue than I thought it'd be :o. Thanks for your input everyone, I'm going to have to spend quite a while thinking about it, methinks.

Anyways I'm starting the uploads of the vids now, sorry for my slowness - Uni has messed up my schedules too much :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hahaha, can't keep a good Yoshi down!

Teams is on the 30th and Next singles is 13th Sept.

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
It's not active yet, but feel free to sign up in anticipation!

Let everyone know about this - it will be huge.

http://www.gotgames.com.au/gg/ladders/4
ooo :O
Thanks heaps for the amazing amount of effort in setting this up, you get one million <3's for doing so.

I've added myself to the WA ladder, I'll add the rest of my details (and get internet for my wii for that matter) after work today.

rmusgrave

BRoomer
BRoomer
I notice people are talking about tripping!

My personal view - anything random in this game detracts from skillful gameplay. That's why we don't play with items, as it is impossible to justify a random item spawn benefiting one player over another. This also means that if you do win and are a better player, it prevents the other player from doing the age old 'well if that item didnt spawn then next to you i would have won'.

In other words, all tripping achieves is to even the playing field between worse and better players. This is what Sakurai intended for Brawl, to make it easier for bad players to beat good ones. I don't think his plan will work though, the number of glitches we have discovered to make this game slightly more competitive in the short time its been out gives me hope we will reach the metagame heights that Melee reached.

Tripping ftl.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hehe..

Heres my thoughts on tripping..

Muzga made a good point in saying that tripping causes him to think more about dash dancing and how it also forces people to use short hops more etc.. Personally i find this interesting that a simple mechanism in a game has made more arial based fighting and people to be more conscious about dashing etc..

To me this is a good thing if it causes people to think or be more conscious about their aproaches.. Also air game is enjoyable to watch over ground combat and really mixes things up.. I find that tripping sucks when it happens due to the fact that your infront of someones smash (heh) ALTHOUGH it does create a mindfull gameplay experience and adds forced variety through airgame etc to come into play..

Trippings fine.. We played with it and now were used to it.. Changing a simple mechanic can affect the game to a degree but its been like 8 months dealing with tripping so i dont see the point of removing it now.. As bringer points out also, techs are being found that works ways around tripping etc..

One week to go and im home babyYEAH..! cant wait to see you all at both tournaments and il be signing upto the GotGames ladder soon.. Good work CAOTIC..

BLAH..!

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
So, have you found any one to team up with if you're going to the doubles bringer? Let me know if you do and I'll add yous to the entrance list (post is a few pages back).

Richard7

Smash Ace
I notice people are talking about tripping!

My personal view - anything random in this game detracts from skillful gameplay. That's why we don't play with items, as it is impossible to justify a random item spawn benefiting one player over another. This also means that if you do win and are a better player, it prevents the other player from doing the age old 'well if that item didnt spawn then next to you i would have won'.

In other words, all tripping achieves is to even the playing field between worse and better players. This is what Sakurai intended for Brawl, to make it easier for bad players to beat good ones. I don't think his plan will work though, the number of glitches we have discovered to make this game slightly more competitive in the short time its been out gives me hope we will reach the metagame heights that Melee reached.

Tripping ftl.
I agree. Good to see you'll be at the next tourny Ryan, perhaps someone will finally be able to beat Sam.

Muzga

Smash Ace
to those of you coming around tomorrow, its preferable that you arrive after 11 am.
Head off whenever you want, but i leave for work at 6.00
aside from that though, looking forward to having the chance to practise against people who arent in my "regular crowd"

Top Bottom