• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VR Training: A Guide To Using Solid Snake

napZzz

Smash Hero
i guess this guide is ok, I'd still prefer rusty's guide tbh.

what do you mean by the big boss section and styles? I'll just go look at it and see if I can contribute

A few things I already see missing I'd like to see added, with the jab I see you mention how it can be powershielded, but it would be good to add how you can use jab-grab to mix it up, and how its possible to use all 3 hits if you hit them in the air with the first one and then just go from there. Its useful because its actually fairly strong and it can catch people trying to air dodge behind you, unless you'd rather just do something like grab or turn around and tilt, i'm just saying you should add it to keep this complete.

With the dash attack, you forget to mention the contact mortar slide. If anything, dash attack is only useful for chasing people and catching an air dodge because of how far it reaches, but aside from that you should only be using the contact mortar slide, where you hit them with the beginning of the dash attack and then hit up+z or w/e and turn it into the mortar slide, its harder to punish and occasionally combo's into the mortar as well and if they come after you the mortar can help to save you and let you reset your position.

Also, you rate snakes cypher awfully low. Its not really that bad, its actually one of the better recovery options in the game because it makes snake pretty much impossible to gimp, and as long as you have your double jump you can recover really high and make it so they aren't gonna get you offstage unless its in certain situations. Its just that juggling snake is pretty easy when he's falling....

I see you have some scattered stuff for nades and little "strategies" you put up, but I dont think thats really the best thing to do, other than a few after showing what snake can do with them to give little examples. It almost seems like you're making it seem as if these are sort of necessary snake techniques to a beginner or medium level player trying to get into it, if you want I can write up a nade guide of sorts including every possible thing snake has to do and how they work/what situations to use them in, followed by slight examples like you have, but not too many and necessary as you say. I just think that section is a little sketchy and I wanna contribute something like this, its up to you if you want me to or not.

As to the big boss style, I think this is probably one of snakes best playstyles hands down and I'd like to contribute a little bit about it.

First of all, snakes defense game is obviously very very good and can force opponents into weird positions where they have issues and are forced into only choosing a certain situation. But just explosives alone cant force a smart player into getting stuck, it takes a style of slowly working your way into setting up traps and getting close to limit their options even further by putting yourself there in a sort of intimidating manner to scare them into the certain situations where you can force your **** on them. Like, lets say that they're near the edge and you just short tossed a nade, strip it and throw another one up from somewhere towards the middle of the stage and you decide you ahve the space to get in and wait for them to attempt avoiding it. At this point, you'll be left with options to follow up where they can go, they can try to air dodge into it or away, spot dodge, try to shield, or jump over it while air dodging or using their second jump. Or maybe just grabbing the edge if they are close enough and can do it in time. With snake near the nades you just tossed up to form a small wall, they will probably try to get away in this situation. You can try to mortar slide to the edge and throw up something they are afraid of and make them try to escape so you can follow up, or if they get back to the edge you can do various nade combinations to force walls along with mortars and get close where their options are even more limited. Its situations like this where snake racks damage quickly and can reset his position to continue the process and keep playing how he feels, whether its getting the lead and forcing them to approach you, or just scaring them at higher percents by approaching with small traps to aid you. Like dropping a nade and doing utilt. They can approach and get blown up after a shield or spot dodge, or just walk away. Sometimes they may even get hit by one while you can just get away.

Thats just my 2 cents on this, i'm sure others can think of things to add to this as well.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Yeah, I'll just do my best to contribute if you want. I wanna make sure this guide is da bess one out there on the boards :p

napZzz

Smash Hero
Thanks for the 2 cents nappy

Oh you can do whatever you want
I'll probably end up writing something like a mini guide of sorts for nades and pm it to you for putting it in the guide. Just give me credit D: < <3

as the guide advances I'll also keep watching out for any mistakes or things that should be put in. But so far, so good for the most part.

I think you got this from the general data info thread. Maybe I should check that thread out and see what's useful

ErikG

Smash Ace
Hey, I just noticed in the chaingrab section that for the IC, you wrote "If you get grabbed, your dead" It should be "you're dead" instead of "your dead".

Also, you have something about DDD's dair spiking, I think you accidentally attached that part of the Falco's write-up to DDD's.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Of course, anything I can do to help I will.
What do you want me to research?

I did that but something went wrong

The guide will come back at the first post tomorrow.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Not sure where put this, but I hope this helps. This are the sweetspot Up Tilt kill percents with both DI and momentum canceling in FD I tested myself.

King Dedede 152

Snake 144

Link 143

Donkey Kong 142

Captain Falcon 141

Ike 137

Ganondorf 135

Bowser 134

Charizard 130

Wario 129

Yoshi 126

ROB 124

Ivysaur 124

Samus 122

Sonic 122

Pit 122

Wolf 121

Marth 120

Diddy 120

Mario 119

Luigi 119

Lucario 119

Falco 119

Lucas 118

Ness 118

Toon Link 117

Pikachu 117

Fox 114

Ice Climbers 113

Sheik 112

Zero Suit Samus 112

Peach 110

Olimar 110

Kirby 108

Meta Knight 107

Zelda 107

Squirtle 106

Mr. Game & Watch 102

Jigglypuff 95

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Sorry, I didn't know that the training had less knockback, but once I found that out I retested in vs mode and got this. Now change to this one, which is of the vs mode. Just have the same quote you had before, but with this Up Tilt kill list instead of the other one.

1 King Dedede 144

2 Snake 137

3 Link 135

3 Donkey Kong 135

3 Captain Falcon 135

6 Ike 129

6 Ganondorf 129

8 Bowser 127

9 Wario 121

10 Charizard 120

11 Yoshi 118

12ROB 118

13Samus 116

14 Ivysaur 115

14 Sonic 115

16 Pit 114

16 Wolf 114

18 Lucario 113

18 Falco 113

20 Marth 112

20 Diddy 112

20 Lucas 112

20 Ness 112

24 Mario 111

24 Luigi 111

24 Toon Link 111

24 Pikachu 111

28 Fox 108

29 Ice Climbers 107

29 Sheik 107

31 Zero Suit Samus 106

32 Olimar 104

33 Peach 103

34 Kirby 102

34 Meta Knight 102

34 Zelda 102

37 Squirtle 100

38 Mr. Game & Watch 97

39 Jigglypuff 89

Turazrok

Smash Master
I disagree mightily with your listing of Olimar as an aerial based character. Any olimar worth his two cents would stay on the ground, although time spent in the air may differ based on mu's.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
"Unlike Melee, Brawl revolves around defense and MINDGAMES."

Probably the worst quote i've eve seen in a guide

@smashkng: Thanks

@tuzarok: if you say so.

@Logan: =.= Brawl really revolves around mind games.

KayLo! said:
Unlike Melee, Brawl is a game that revolves a lot around mindgames since the game itself lacks significant depth.

Turazrok

Smash Master
Berk is:
Really clueless about olimar. Fix that bub.
Right about Brawl lacking anything fun.

LoganW

Smash Journeyman
of course there's "mindgames" but what do you think there is in melee? just nothing?

Actually it really revolves around MK. Lol jk too

And logan, I didn't say anything about melee taking no skill. I know melee takes more skill but Brawl needs more mindgames than melee. I still think melee takes more skill, I didn't say anything like it sucks and it's easy or whatever.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
Very ambitious project i must say :p, the guide is VERY long! I think adding some coding for the different sections would be a good idea, so people can easily navigate with ctrl + f.

There's a few things i'd like to mention (didn't read the whole thing, too lazy and i don't feel like guides help me atm.)

In the chaingrabbing section you mention that it's a good idea being grabbed while having a nade around. I'll have to object to that. A grenade might save you from time to time, but not being grabbed at all is way more important. Also, mention the importance of Port Priority here!

On the mine, you write that it's a good idea to ftilt space then plant it. I disagree, you should not plant it while your opponent is on stage or near you. Instead, it should be done when the opponent is either dead or knocked offstage. I remember some trick that allows you to powershield the mine aswell, but i don't remember how. Any help here?

Thanks for the opinions but I'm not the judge. Everyone is the judge whether your opinion makes sense or doesn't.

Anyway thanks

I'll add things later

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Very ambitious project i must say :p, the guide is VERY long! I think adding some coding for the different sections would be a good idea, so people can easily navigate with ctrl + f.

There's a few things i'd like to mention (didn't read the whole thing, too lazy and i don't feel like guides help me atm.)

In the chaingrabbing section you mention that it's a good idea being grabbed while having a nade around. I'll have to object to that. A grenade might save you from time to time, but not being grabbed at all is way more important. Also, mention the importance of Port Priority here!

On the mine, you write that it's a good idea to ftilt space then plant it. I disagree, you should not plant it while your opponent is on stage or near you. Instead, it should be done when the opponent is either dead or knocked offstage. I remember some trick that allows you to powershield the mine aswell, but i don't remember how. Any help here?
With the powershielding mine, you mean using aerial Grenade landing in the mine?

Navn

Smash Apprentice
@ Smashkng:

Yeah, that might be it! Thanks =) Is there some special trick to doing it? I remember doing some testing prior to posting the question, and simply carrying a nade alone didn't seem to work.

pulse131

Smash Ace
about peach's bomb-omb, its says that snake basically has to just blow it up safely, but if peach throws it right at you, uptilt, it will blow up in front of you with doing any damged or knock, and if peach is close enough, she'll suffer. may also work with Link's/TL's bombs, havnt tried.
may wanna add that

Top Bottom