• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vote Wonder Red! - Wonder-Red's Last Stand?! Final Days of the Fighter Ballot

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
When I first heard of The Wonderful 101, I thought it was just going to be a mindless action game. But, now that I have seen a lot more gameplay, I must say I have found the game to be very interesting. I might actually get this game when I buy a Wii U, though it probably will not be mine first Wii U game.

Anyhow, though I doubt they will make an appearance in Smash 4, at least not as a playable character, I can see the Wonderful 100 having a very unique moveset. Their play style could be just like in their game in that they will be separated if they take damage, and thus lose fighting strength. On the other hand, having that many characters on the screen would probably be very tasking--imagine all four players playing as the Wonderful 100; that means 400 characters to deal with! That would most certainly be chaotic.

[EDIT] Agh, I always hate when I end up starting a new page...

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
You can pick Wonder 101 and if you are Player One or on the Red team you get Wonder Red, if you are Player Two or on the Blue Team you are Wonder Blue, if you are Player Three and on the Yellow Team you are Wonder Yellow, and if you are Player Four or on the Green Team you are Wonder Green.

Wouldn't that be annoying?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Yeah, I'm gonna support this guy. The idea of Unite moves just scream unique character to me.

yani

Smash Lord
I downloaded the TW101 demo today and what a blast it was to play! He felt like a natural Smash fit to me :p

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I downloaded the TW101 demo today and what a blast it was to play! He felt like a natural Smash fit to me :p
Well, I would think he probably wouldn't get in because it would be weird to put in an entirely new character before a game's release (Sakurai's finalized the roster by now, right?) People would be outraged - probably because they wouldn't have had time to play the game. But based on the Nintendo Direct on the Wonderful 101, I agree with you. He seems a perfect fit. Though, his unite system is absolutely way beyond the 3DS limitations - if Wonderful 101 becomes popular (I would venture a guess at yes) I could see a character from it appearing in SSB5.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
NOTE: I had that requested. lol. So i didn't make it.

EDIT: Also updated the OP with the Direct, the Wonder Red/Blue/Green/Pink trailers, and the Director's Edition trailer.

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
Definitely could see these guys sneaking a place. Espc if they were announced on 15th September. Massive hype generated by smash confirmation. People buy game because they're in smash. It's like Fire Emblem.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Definitely could see these guys sneaking a place. Espc if they were announced on 15th September. Massive hype generated by smash confirmation. People buy game because they're in smash. It's like Fire Emblem.
Except, that only works if they can play as the character in Smash. Considering SSB4 doesn't come out until next year - this really doesn't make sense.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Somehow I feel like this won't really work unless there's a hoarde of heroes, maybe the seven colour heroes that you switch between...but the switch occurs when you use their corrosponding unite move. So there wouldn't be more than one moveset. Just a switch occurs when you use a move..it would be fast paced.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Since the new trailer just came out a few days ago, I want to talk about them. The main characters would have to be a single character. This raises two problems. Is it even possible/practical for all of the heroes to be playable with different movesets. And since they are all different colors, how will their different colors work like. The game seems VERY awesome and I want to play it BAD, however getting these characters into the game seems VERY difficult.

The only way I can see it is that Wonder Red is the playable character, and his specials and attacks revolve around him and his friends abilities.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
The V-Joe of Nintendo, I'm really looking forward to this game. I support Wonder Red's Inclusion :D

Mishudo

Smash Journeyman
Anyone play the demo yet? So amazing...I truly hope that we get a rep from this amazing series

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Since the new trailer just came out a few days ago, I want to talk about them. The main characters would have to be a single character. This raises two problems. Is it even possible/practical for all of the heroes to be playable with different movesets. And since they are all different colors, how will their different colors work like. The game seems VERY awesome and I want to play it BAD, however getting these characters into the game seems VERY difficult.

The only way I can see it is that Wonder Red is the playable character, and his specials and attacks revolve around him and his friends abilities.
Well he could play how captain commando played in marvel vs capcom 2. The other colors don't pop out on specials/certain attacks just like megaman robot master attacks

PS if wonderful red Is indeed in the game he could get confirmed this week because it comes out in Japan this Saturday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
30'000 copies of the game at launch in Japan doesn't exactly scream "Wonder red playable in smash bros announcement".

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well this is pretty interesting...

Kamiya said:
"Originally I got an order from the president of Platinum Games, Tatsuya Minami, asking me to create a game idea that had an all-star cast of Nintendo characters plus characters from other games and that's how the project started."

"When you try and incorporate many characters with high popularity, there are fans who like certain characters more than others. I thought how I could satisfy everyone and make everyone happy and I came up with the idea of why not having everyone displayed in the game at the same time. That's where the idea was born."

Source: http://www.videogamer.com/news/wond...e_a_cast_of_all-star_nintendo_characters.html
Not really interested in this game but still felt like sharing. So I guess the Wonderful 101 was originally intended to feature Nintendo characters before they decided to change it into original characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
BUMP

So I bought Wonderful 101 on launch, and I love it. It's pretty damn fun. I'm also getting the vibe that Wonder Red is going to get into Smash Bros 4. While the series is fairly new, the amount of advertising and attention Nintendo gave it means that they are going to want to continue the series most likely.

I don't know. Call it a hunch, but I'm predicting Wonder Red as a newcomer to Smash 4.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't get your hopes up. WR never had a huge amount of popularity, and his game has done anything but well. Sakurai also would've had to decide to include him before the real promotion for his game even started, and there's no precedent of a new IP getting a character before that game even releases. I very much doubt Sakurai would deviate on that for the W101. Characters or series have to deserve inclusion, not get in based on what... because they look like they could fit? Many characters do.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I wouldn't get your hopes up. WR never had a huge amount of popularity, and his game has done anything but well. Sakurai also would've had to decide to include him before the real promotion for his game even started, and there's no precedent of a new IP getting a character before that game even releases. I very much doubt Sakurai would deviate on that for the W101. Characters or series have to deserve inclusion, not get in based on what... because they look like they could fit? Many characters do.
Popularity is important, but certainly not nearly as important as everyone makes it out to be. Especially if neither Ridley or K.Rool make it.

Roy got in before he premiered. Sakurai thought he was pretty cool. That can't happen with Wonder Red? Not to mention Ike's edition of Fire Emblem didn't do well and he got in, just an installment or not. I'm not sure what you mean by that precedent either, as Wonder 101 is already out, likely a year and a half before Smash 4.

At this point with Smash, the amount of characters that "deserve" inclusion is lacking at best, especially if the above don't get in. Who does that leave? The leftovers. Wonder Red may not be amazingly likely, but he has a chance. I wouldn't count him out just yet. Nothing is really the same as far as how releases are going, so we can only truly predict who is getting revealed and when. We don't know anything for sure.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Popularity is important, but certainly not nearly as important as everyone makes it out to be. Especially if neither Ridley or K.Rool make it.
Popularity is quite important. Sure, it's hardly the only measure that characters get in by, but if Melee is any example, half the unique characters chosen were due to popularity, and clearly Sakurai still refers to his Brawl popularity poll. It's not the only factor, obviously, but when there's a character from an unrepresented IP that could work well in Smash, and there's a character from an unrepresented IP that could work well in Smash, has established popularity, and established games, it's not hard to see which one is more likely.

And despite Sakurai not finding Ridley feasible for whatever reason, why do you think he's been given such focus in non-playable roles? Why do you think he was made a boss not once, but twice last time? Because popularity matters, even if not just with the playable characters.

Roy got in before he premiered. Sakurai thought he was pretty cool. That can't happen with Wonder Red?
It can, but it won't. Sakurai was looking for a Marth clone, he wasn't looking for an original character from an unrepresented IP. If there was an existing character Wonder Red would make an easy and logical clone for, sure, then he'd have a chance (maybe, Sakurai seems to be prioritizing uniqueness a lot higher this game), but like I said above, if he's looking for characters from new IPs, he's going to go with ones who have a decent-sized audience, and/or established demand. Look at the ones he's added so far.

Not to mention Ike's edition of Fire Emblem didn't do well and he got in, just an installment or not. I'm not sure what you mean by that precedent either, as Wonder 101 is already out, likely a year and a half before Smash 4.
Right... but there's a difference between a popular character from an established series with content already in Smash even if that one character's game didn't do so hot and an IP with a character with largely lukewarm popularity and a game that didn't even have an audience yet (at the time of inclusion). Ike's game might have not done as well as other FE games, but he was still a character people wanted to play as more than any other potential FE newcomers. And again, there's a difference between adding another character from an existing series, and an unrepresented series.

As for the precedent, sure, the W101 will be out for a while by the time Smash comes out, but when Sakurai was deciding the roster, it was still likely over a year away from release. And yes, he's added a clone that hadn't had a game release yet, but there is no precedent of him adding a character from a totally new series before that series even released. He didn't do it with Pikmin, he didn't do it with the Miis, why is W101 in such a different category? Why is W101 in a category where it can get in without even having a game release yet where series like Golden Sun, Starfy, Xenoblade, X, etc. aren't? No one expected those characters before the series established themselves, and all those characters have potential as well. Why is W101 in a different category? Until proven otherwise, all series added to Smash need to prove themselves before they can be added. Sakurai's willy-nilly statement might've just been directed at third-parties, but that doesn't mean he'd add Nintendo characters willy-nilly either.

At this point with Smash, the amount of characters that "deserve" inclusion is lacking at best, especially if the above don't get in. Who does that leave? The leftovers. Wonder Red may not be amazingly likely, but he has a chance. I wouldn't count him out just yet. Nothing is really the same as far as how releases are going, so we can only truly predict who is getting revealed and when. We don't know anything for sure.
"We don't anything for sure" while true, is often used to justify illogical predictions. You're right, we don't know for sure, but W101's release has passed in all territories at this point, and with it so has the best time to reveal Wonder Red. When do you think he's going to be revealed now? In the upcoming months when the impact of his release has come and gone? Close or after release when most stores aren't even stocking W101 anymore? Yeah, now we have the leftovers, but there are still leftovers more likely than Wonder Red. There are really a handful of unrepresented series with more likely characters. Series that actually have characters with a measure of notable popularity (that isn't a fad), series with more than one game, series that have actually been successful. What does Wonder Red have that they don't? Recentness? That doesn't mean much in the way of adding new series.

I'm not saying Wonder Red would be a bad character, he could definitely work and would be cool, and he could obviously use some more attention, I'd personally be absolutely fine with his inclusion, but his time has pretty much come and gone with the release of his game (not that he had much of a chance anyway). People can still expect him, and if he showed up... then great! But chances are pretty heavy that he's not going to make it, and that's totally justified. There are many other series that should be included beforehand.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Popularity is quite important. Sure, it's hardly the only measure that characters get in by, but if Melee is any example, half the unique characters chosen were due to popularity, and clearly Sakurai still refers to his Brawl popularity poll. It's not the only factor, obviously, but when there's a character from an unrepresented IP that could work well in Smash, and there's a character from an unrepresented IP that could work well in Smash, has established popularity, and established games, it's not hard to see which one is more likely.

And despite Sakurai not finding Ridley feasible for whatever reason, why do you think he's been given such focus in non-playable roles? Why do you think he was made a boss not once, but twice last time? Because popularity matters, even if not just with the playable characters.

It can, but it won't. Sakurai was looking for a Marth clone, he wasn't looking for an original character from an unrepresented IP. If there was an existing character Wonder Red would make an easy and logical clone for, sure, then he'd have a chance (maybe, Sakurai seems to be prioritizing uniqueness a lot higher this game), but like I said above, if he's looking for characters from new IPs, he's going to go with ones who have a decent-sized audience, and/or established demand. Look at the ones he's added so far.

Right... but there's a difference between a popular character from an established series with content already in Smash even if that one character's game didn't do so hot and an IP with a character with largely lukewarm popularity and a game that didn't even have an audience yet (at the time of inclusion). Ike's game might have not done as well as other FE games, but he was still a character people wanted to play as more than any other potential FE newcomers. And again, there's a difference between adding another character from an existing series, and an unrepresented series.

As for the precedent, sure, the W101 will be out for a while by the time Smash comes out, but when Sakurai was deciding the roster, it was still likely over a year away from release. And yes, he's added a clone that hadn't had a game release yet, but there is no precedent of him adding a character from a totally new series before that series even released. He didn't do it with Pikmin, he didn't do it with the Miis, why is W101 in such a different category? Why is W101 in a category where it can get in without even having a game release yet where series like Golden Sun, Starfy, Xenoblade, X, etc. aren't? No one expected those characters before the series established themselves, and all those characters have potential as well. Why is W101 in a different category? Until proven otherwise, all series added to Smash need to prove themselves before they can be added. Sakurai's willy-nilly statement might've just been directed at third-parties, but that doesn't mean he'd add Nintendo characters willy-nilly either.

"We don't anything for sure" while true, is often used to justify illogical predictions. You're right, we don't know for sure, but W101's release has passed in all territories at this point, and with it so has the best time to reveal Wonder Red. When do you think he's going to be revealed now? In the upcoming months when the impact of his release has come and gone? Close or after release when most stores aren't even stocking W101 anymore? Yeah, now we have the leftovers, but there are still leftovers more likely than Wonder Red. There are really a handful of unrepresented series with more likely characters. Series that actually have characters with a measure of notable popularity (that isn't a fad), series with more than one game, series that have actually been successful. What does Wonder Red have that they don't? Recentness? That doesn't mean much in the way of adding new series.

I'm not saying Wonder Red would be a bad character, he could definitely work and would be cool, and he could obviously use some more attention, I'd personally be absolutely fine with his inclusion, but his time has pretty much come and gone with the release of his game (not that he had much of a chance anyway). People can still expect him, and if he showed up... then great! But chances are pretty heavy that he's not going to make it, and that's totally justified. There are many other series that should be included beforehand.
I can agree with most of what you said, but there's one other thing that I'd like to add to this.

Based on the fact that Nintendo has put a large amount of effort into supporting this IP, and with the fact that this is their newest IPs in ages, they will most likely want to support it in the future in some way or another. While it isn't doing so hot out of the gate, neither is the games home system, and that's where this leads me to my next point.

While Ridley and K.Rool are huge and popular choices (HA :awesome:) there is quite honestly nothing in Nintendo's agenda to add them to Smash (Moreso K.Rool, I guess not so much Ridley). His lack of appearances DOES hurt him, and Nintendo will likely want their new products shown off, and Sakurai had to of at least heard something about the Wonderful 101 if Nintendo was freaking out about it like they did. K.Rool has received little to no attention as of late, and because of that I find it very questionable whether he or Dixie will get the spot.

Olimar made sense to be added because Pikmin was a new game that was previously unrepresented. But now with Smash 4, we have very few brand new series that are a big deal at Nintendo. Basically, it has been W101, Xenoblade (Or X)...and that's all that comes to mind currently. If I remember correctly, Pikmin was never a huge seller with it's first two installments. Feel free to call me out on that because i'm too lazy to check because I just got out of work.

Wonder Red has a shot, whether it is small or bigger than we think. I personally believe that a lot of favored characters this time around are relying strictly on popularity, which isn't necessarily a good thing if they don't have other things that will boost them over others. Now before I go any further, I want to stress that again, nobody can know for sure what's going to happen. If you ask me, there are characters that we support relentlessly that have a border to break with recency, or unoriginality.

K.Rool hasn't shown up in a major role recently, and it appears that he may not be in the newest game. In an era where Nintendo is struggling, it would honestly make more sense to add Dixie, that is unless K.Rool is in Tropical Freeze.

Isaac is in limbo I'd say. Sure, he'd be cool, but he hasn't appeared in forever. You have to admit that it would be a little strange for him to pop up out of nowhere to a certain extent. If he had appeared in a new Golden Sun game, I would rate him in very strong standing, but because his last game was awhile ago, and he wasn't even the main character, I think he may struggle.

Little Mac I see as a character that struggles with originality. I believe that he should've been in Brawl as a retro besides Pit. However because his character is based off of a boxer, a moveset that has other things other than punching would be out of character. There isn't much to work with. When Sakurai is looking for uniqueness, it is very possible that Sakurai will pass over him.

Oi. So much typing. Sorry for the long response N30N. Things just keep coming to mind and I freak out and keep typing.

All i'm trying to say is, that while Wonder Red may not be on the radar for fans, he's absolutely on the radar at Nintendo, who has their hands in Smash Bros. I find it dangerous to set him aside as an impossibility, and I think he has a decent chance. Decent =/= absolute, but I don't think it's a bad enough situation to abandon all hope.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I can agree with most of what you said, but there's one other thing that I'd like to add to this.

Based on the fact that Nintendo has put a large amount of effort into supporting this IP, and with the fact that this is their newest IPs in ages, they will most likely want to support it in the future in some way or another. While it isn't doing so hot out of the gate, neither is the games home system, and that's where this leads me to my next point.
First off, Nintendo has not promoted this game any more than their other games as of late, no more than Pikmin 3, Game & Wario, or more than they will for games this holiday. Heck, they even promoted third-party games like Monster Hunter as much as they promoted W101. And really the reason they have given all these games so much attention is because it's really all they've had these last few years to show for the Wii U. Also, just because it's a new IP hardly means Nintendo is going to choose to persue it in future installments, especially since it's done so poorly. There are probably a dozen new IPs Nintendo has created this past gen that never received a follow-up, with it's sales I wouldn't be surprised if W101 joined those ranks. Plus if they were to focus on any of their new IPs in the future, chances are it'd be Nintendo Land, that at least has decently marketability and a decent-sized audience.

Also, keep in mind that what is important to Nintendo and what is important to Sakurai can and do differ. Sure Nintendo can ultimately overrule Sakurai, but previously they've never attempted to force him into including a new IP, so chances are (especially since W101 will be relatively old news when Smash launches) they'll just leave him to his decisions like usual.

While Ridley and K.Rool are huge and popular choices (HA :awesome:) there is quite honestly nothing in Nintendo's agenda to add them to Smash (Moreso K.Rool, I guess not so much Ridley). His lack of appearances DOES hurt him, and Nintendo will likely want their new products shown off, and Sakurai had to of at least heard something about the Wonderful 101 if Nintendo was freaking out about it like they did. K.Rool has received little to no attention as of late, and because of that I find it very questionable whether he or Dixie will get the spot.
Again, Sakurai is the one who chooses the characters, not Nintendo. And even if Nintendo does have some input, obviously they've never forced a character from an unreleased IP (at the time of roster creation) into the roster, which really suggests that there'd be no precedent of them doing such this time either. Especially since one, Nintendo wasn't freaking out about W101 when Sakurai was creating the roster, the game was still in development then, two, by the time Smash releases Nintendo will want to focus elsewhere, on newer products, even if the W101 had done well, and three, W101 isn't Nintendo's only new IP, there's no guarantee they'd pick that one anyway. You're trying to argue the point of recentness when the game in question wasn't released during roster creation (which is obviously important for new IPs), won't be the "hot new game" when Smash releases, and has weightier competition from other unrepresented IPs. Recentness doesn't mean a whole lot for new IPs and Smash.

Also, I think it's too early to speak so definitively about K. Rool. Sakurai has added characters who haven't made impactful appearances in years previously, such as Marth, Ness, and Samus (who hadn't been seen for several years before their inclusion, over a generation in fact). Not that I think K. Rool is definitely going to be included, Dixie's chances are imo just as good, only that I'd hardly dismiss him at this point.

Olimar made sense to be added because Pikmin was a new game that was previously unrepresented. But now with Smash 4, we have very few brand new series that are a big deal at Nintendo. Basically, it has been W101, Xenoblade (Or X)...and that's all that comes to mind currently. If I remember correctly, Pikmin was never a huge seller with it's first two installments. Feel free to call me out on that because i'm too lazy to check because I just got out of work.
No, Olimar made sense to be added because Pikmin turned out to be a successful, multi-installment series with a notable fanbase, not because it was "new" and "unrepresented". By that logic, and IP that's come out since Smash began should be added. Also, I don't know why you're under the assumption Smash is in such dire need of new series. Brawl's newest series was Pikmin, and that game came out at the beginning of the generation before. Smash 4 already has Wii Fit, which could be seen as a parallel. Sakurai has never been dogged about adding new series, he includes what he thinks merit inclusion, regardless of age. Sure, we might get a newer IP than Wii Fit, like Xenoblade, but it won't be because it's new, it's because it has other points in it's favour to combat being new, because honestly just being new isn't a point in a series' favour, as Sakurai could think it's not "proven" itself enough to match up to the series already added. Which would be a valid thought.

And both Gamecube Pikmin titles sold over a million iirc, which, for the Gamecube, could count a a "huge seller".

Wonder Red has a shot, whether it is small or bigger than we think. I personally believe that a lot of favored characters this time around are relying strictly on popularity, which isn't necessarily a good thing if they don't have other things that will boost them over others. Now before I go any further, I want to stress that again, nobody can know for sure what's going to happen. If you ask me, there are characters that we support relentlessly that have a border to break with recency, or unoriginality.
Relying on popularity is still better than relying on recentness. Especially since recentness in a new IP is not a positive to Sakurai. Popularity has gotten characters in before, while recentness has never got a new IP included. And sure, Wonder Red could be cool in Smash, and he could work, but who's to say these other characters that are "relying on popularity" also couldn't work? If you're talking about the three below, they all could definitely work in Smash and offer something new, just like Wonder Red could. The difference with them though is they have a much greater deal of overall importance and impact with Nintendo than the W101 has made. Like I said before, what does Wonder Red have, other than recentness (which isn't a point in his favour, it's not like he's a new Pokemon or FE lord) that other candidates for unrepresented IPs don't? Moveset potential? Characters like Isaac, Little Mac, Shulk, etc. have a fair amount of moveset potential as well, definitely enough for a unique moveset. Plus, they also have some measure of popularity and impact with Nintendo, which is more than Wonder Red can honestly claim to have.

K.Rool hasn't shown up in a major role recently, and it appears that he may not be in the newest game. In an era where Nintendo is struggling, it would honestly make more sense to add Dixie, that is unless K.Rool is in Tropical Freeze.
Yeah, I think Dixie very well might get in over K. Rool, but K. Rool still has points in his favour as well. However, this really doesn't relate too much to Wonder Red... it seems it's more of a K. Rool vs. Dixie debate. If you're meaning to suggest that Wonder Red has more going for him that K. Rool, I'd have to disagree with you on that.

Isaac is in limbo I'd say. Sure, he'd be cool, but he hasn't appeared in forever. You have to admit that it would be a little strange for him to pop up out of nowhere to a certain extent. If he had appeared in a new Golden Sun game, I would rate him in very strong standing, but because his last game was awhile ago, and he wasn't even the main character, I think he may struggle.
Forever? His last appearance was two years prior to the roster being created. His franchise can't even be declared as dormant yet, it's only been three years since the last one. And given the choice between a character who maybe hasn't had a playable appearance for a while, but still has an ongoing series, a series that has had both popularity and success, a series that has actually left an impact, or a series that's going to get its first game in a year, a game of undetermined quality, impact, and success at the time of inclusion, which do you think Sakurai would prioritize ahead of the other?

In addition, if the character merits inclusion in Sakurai's mind, "popping up out of nowhere" isn't his biggest concern. Look at the retro characters. Look at Samus, or Ness, who didn't have a title in their series for five years (not two) when they were included. Or Marth, who hadn't made an appearance since two console generations prior. Those characters, like Isaac (though obviously to a larger extent) had other points in their favour that outweighed their current absence from games. What will Wonder Red have? Not popularity or notable previous success.

Little Mac I see as a character that struggles with originality. I believe that he should've been in Brawl as a retro besides Pit. However because his character is based off of a boxer, a moveset that has other things other than punching would be out of character. There isn't much to work with. When Sakurai is looking for uniqueness, it is very possible that Sakurai will pass over him.
Why would he have been in Brawl with Pit? I mean, it could've been possible, but then Pit was the more popular contender, who had some measure of worldwide popularity, as well as the potential fact that Sakurai might've tried to add him previously. Sakurai clearly doesn't want to overload the game with retro characters, which Little Mac was at the time. Regardless, not getting in Brawl is anything but a nail in the coffin for Little Mac considering Punch-Out Wii was quite the successful game all things considered. Now he has better chances than ever before. As far as originality goes, if Sakurai can make a moveset for characters with absolutely nothing to work with, he can create a moveset for a character who has a limited method of attacking. That's like saying a character with a sword has nothing to work with because they only have sword attacks. Look how many variations of punching are already in Smash. Just imagine Little Mac with Marth's attacks, a charge-up punch, a forward combo of punches, an uppercut, and a parry. Sure, not the most creative or best use of Mac's potential, and definitely not how Little Mac would end up being implemented, but it works. Not only could Mac use his own punches, if Sakurai got creative he might even be able to use the tactics of other boxers in Punch-Out, or punching moves original to Smash, like many characters have. While Wonder Red might have a flashier moveset, they can both work in Smash.

Oi. So much typing. Sorry for the long response N30N. Things just keep coming to mind and I freak out and keep typing.
No problem, I'm no stranger to rambling. I'm guilty of it myself. ;)

All i'm trying to say is, that while Wonder Red may not be on the radar for fans, he's absolutely on the radar at Nintendo, who has their hands in Smash Bros. I find it dangerous to set him aside as an impossibility, and I think he has a decent chance. Decent =/= absolute, but I don't think it's a bad enough situation to abandon all hope.
The thing is, he's on the radar for Nintendo (not necessarily Sakurai) now. Not a year ago, not a year from now, but NOW. And this will likely be the only time he's on a radar. Regardless of his reception, a non-retro IP with a sole game has never gotten in Smash before. Sakurai has never preemptively added an IP before. Nintendo has never forced Sakurai to include a new IP, certainly not one that has yet to be released. There are IPs with more weight to them than W101. IPs with more impact, games, and popularity. Why would Sakurai choose Wonder Red? And if he did, why would he not be unveiled by now, the absolute BEST time for him to be revealed? I'm not saying he's an impossibility, I'm just saying he is largely outweighed by not one or two other unrepresented IPs, but several. Because honestly, as cool as he'd be, what does he have going for him that would cause Sakurai to add him BEFORE HIS GAME EVEN CAME OUT? He didn't even do that for Pikmin.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The Wonderful 101 received it's own Nintendo Direct from Nintendo, something that Game and Wario did not. It was big enough for Nintendo to devote time in several Nintendo Directs to it, so that's saying something about the attention it has received.

As I have posted in other threads, Sakurai is not a stand alone guy. He is employed by Nintendo to make their game. While they are not slave driving him to do their bidding, they certainly have a hand in what is going on with the game.

As far as time of reveal, sure, the best time to reveal Wonder Red has passed. However, there are other characters who may not be revealed as of yet. If DIxie is the newcomer, wouldn't Tropical Freeze be the best time to reveal her? What if they reveal Diddy instead? Nobody knows.

I'll continue later. Schoolwork and food are calling. I'm STARVING.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But why Scoliosis, why would Nintendo, assuming Sakurai isn't to include W101 on his own volition, why would they choose W101, a game that won't even be current when Smash releases, a game that might not even be in stores at that point anymore, to force Sakurai to include a character from? What does W101 have that would make it so special that it would be the first IP Nintendo actually forced Sakurai to include (as far as we know) when it clearly isn't on the level of the others already included? What logic is behind it?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But why Scoliosis, why would Nintendo, assuming Sakurai isn't to include W101 on his own volition, why would they choose W101, a game that won't even be current when Smash releases, a game that might not even be in stores at that point anymore, to force Sakurai to include a character from? What does W101 have that would make it so special that it would be the first IP Nintendo actually forced Sakurai to include (as far as we know) when it clearly isn't on the level of the others already included? What logic is behind it?
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I don't recall implying that they would force it on him. If I did, I probably got carried away with my typing. I didn't mean it like that.

I propose that with Nintendo making a big deal out of the game, that Wonder Red would be a big part of the agenda. It would be a likely suggestion for Sakurai to include. Whether he picks it or not is up to him. Nintendo is desperate to bring people in, and Wonder Red is the mascot of their newest game.

The logic is advertisement. It's money. Not everybody who is buying Smash Bros. 4 is hardcore and wants the top 10 on Smashboards. There will be a chunk of the potential consumers who would recognize Wonder Red (or other characters) and want to buy the game because of it.

Granted, the game didn't sell as expected. But if Nintendo wants to continue it, what better way to draw attention to the series than Smash Bros.?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but I don't recall implying that they would force it on him. If I did, I probably got carried away with my typing. I didn't mean it like that.

I propose that with Nintendo making a big deal out of the game, that Wonder Red would be a big part of the agenda. It would be a likely suggestion for Sakurai to include. Whether he picks it or not is up to him. Nintendo is desperate to bring people in, and Wonder Red is the mascot of their newest game.

The logic is advertisement. It's money. Not everybody who is buying Smash Bros. 4 is hardcore and wants the top 10 on Smashboards. There will be a chunk of the potential consumers who would recognize Wonder Red (or other characters) and want to buy the game because of it.

Granted, the game didn't sell as expected. But if Nintendo wants to continue it, what better way to draw attention to the series than Smash Bros.?
But when Sakurai was creating the roster, Wonder Red wasn't the mascot of their newest game, and when Smash releases, Wonder Red will again no longer be the mascot of their newest game. Including Wonder Red because he's the protagonist of a sole game, is very short-sided, especially since the promotion period of that game will likely be over a year previous to the release of Smash 4. Why wouldn't they choose the protagonist of X? Why wouldn't they choose Miyamoto's new IP's protagonist (assuming it's far enough in development)? Wonder Red just seems very arbitrary, especially since if they were doing it for promotional purposes, they'd announce him NOW, or more likely, within the last month. If they did it for money, they wouldn't sit on him now, they'd reveal him. Unveiling him after his game has left store shelves isn't going to move too many units, at least not as many as revealing him in tandem with his release date would. The logic of advertisement has no logic behind it if they're not going to use him for advertisement when his game actually need advertising.

Nintendo has had bombs before. Platinum has had bombs before. When a game does disappointingly, but still manages to move a fair amount of units, maybe several hundred k, that's when a sequel is considered. When a game sells a few thousand copies, that's when you sever the ties. Sure, Smash does act as promotion, but whole series aren't included for promotion. At least, not from Sakurai. And at this point it's pretty clear Nintendo trusts Sakurai to make a good roster, while they might suggest characters, they're not going to impose anything upon him, and he's not going to pick a character from an unreleased IP, that's not how he views Smash. It would be a fair observation to suggest that he thinks of it as a culmination of Nintendo's best series, and the series he has chosen to this point demonstrate that. Even though he's unpredictable, he's not going to totally change the way he views Smash, especially over a series like W101.

What I'm saying is that including Wonder Red is fairly arbitrary. He's a character too late to be included when the roster was created, from a series small enough to not affect the roster either way, and with reception negative enough to likely not receive a follow-up when it could affect his future Smash chances. Combined with the little popularity the character himself has for Smash (in part to people realizing his timing does not coincide with the roster's development) and the fact that if he were to be included due to advertising, he would've been shown by now, results in a character best assumed will not make the roster. As I said before, is it impossible? No. But there's quite the list of characters who would get in before him, including most of the typically mentioned unrepresented candidates, such as Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, and Starfy.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
But when Sakurai was creating the roster, Wonder Red wasn't the mascot of their newest game, and when Smash releases, Wonder Red will again no longer be the mascot of their newest game. Including Wonder Red because he's the protagonist of a sole game, is very short-sided, especially since the promotion period of that game will likely be over a year previous to the release of Smash 4. Why wouldn't they choose the protagonist of X? Why wouldn't they choose Miyamoto's new IP's protagonist (assuming it's far enough in development)? Wonder Red just seems very arbitrary, especially since if they were doing it for promotional purposes, they'd announce him NOW, or more likely, within the last month. If they did it for money, they wouldn't sit on him now, they'd reveal him. Unveiling him after his game has left store shelves isn't going to move too many units, at least not as many as revealing him in tandem with his release date would. The logic of advertisement has no logic behind it if they're not going to use him for advertisement when his game actually need advertising.

Nintendo has had bombs before. Platinum has had bombs before. When a game does disappointingly, but still manages to move a fair amount of units, maybe several hundred k, that's when a sequel is considered. When a game sells a few thousand copies, that's when you sever the ties. Sure, Smash does act as promotion, but whole series aren't included for promotion. At least, not from Sakurai. And at this point it's pretty clear Nintendo trusts Sakurai to make a good roster, while they might suggest characters, they're not going to impose anything upon him, and he's not going to pick a character from an unreleased IP, that's not how he views Smash. It would be a fair observation to suggest that he thinks of it as a culmination of Nintendo's best series, and the series he has chosen to this point demonstrate that. Even though he's unpredictable, he's not going to totally change the way he views Smash, especially over a series like W101.

What I'm saying is that including Wonder Red is fairly arbitrary. He's a character too late to be included when the roster was created, from a series small enough to not affect the roster either way, and with reception negative enough to likely not receive a follow-up when it could affect his future Smash chances. Combined with the little popularity the character himself has for Smash (in part to people realizing his timing does not coincide with the roster's development) and the fact that if he were to be included due to advertising, he would've been shown by now, results in a character best assumed will not make the roster. As I said before, is it impossible? No. But there's quite the list of characters who would get in before him, including most of the typically mentioned unrepresented candidates, such as Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, and Starfy.
Very true statements. Really, I think we're reaching an impasse, as I still believe Wonder Red just might show up. All I can say is that so far Smash is being handled differently as far as reveals, so there are no absolutes as of yet.

I'm hoping for Wonder Red, but I won't be too surprised if he doesn't get in. Really, at its core, it's a hunch that I have. My friend and I played the game the other night. He's a big Smash fan himself. He was thinking the same thing I was when I said I could definitely see Wonder Red being added, and have the vibe that he is going to be in Smash 4. It's hard to justify a hunch.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I lots a ton of hope i mean he was not announced in september now the problem is at this point hes way to new to be in smash bros at this point in my opion

yani

Smash Lord
It can go either way obviously, but having played the demo (have yet to purchase due to funds :( )I can say that adding Wonder Red would just seem like something Sakurai would do. By that, I mean everything Sakurai looks for in a character is right there. Granted, I understand everything going against him (too new, game bombed, etc) but I have the same hunch as our fine chap Scoliosis Jones.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I should also add to the comment about him being a hidden character.

I can see this happening but at the same time i still wouldn't be surprised if Wonder Red got in because Sakurai is on good terms with Platinum.

Thats reminds me, i should make a new moveset.

Top Bottom