• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Volleying: A New Type of Game (Updated with Video Examples: Special Guest Darrell)

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Dair

If you ever watch a team's match where Peach is playing, her ally never dies off the bottom.

EDIT: Props to Derek for this hilarious idea; it's pretty fun
Dam Javier knows whats up! I would love to see volleying with some professional mains of other characters I'm guessing it would be awesome.

Ahhh thats right. I forgot about that.

Derek, put up our new videos! Falco all day, son!
Mike I'm still going through all of our videos and taking the combos out, volleying combo video son!!

Steelia

Smash Champion
Huh... Sounds like an interesting concept. I'll have to record some footage of this some time, see if I'm not doin it rongg.
Mewtwo sounds like he'd be a pretty beastly Volley-er. Has a difficult time doing downward KOs as it stands, and that fair can get people back up to level fairly easily, and him having a huge recovery gives him the ability to save himself afterward.

Hmm Yes, Certainly going to put this into practice. Lord knows I need to work on saving a teammate in distress when Friendly Fire's going.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Huh... Sounds like an interesting concept. I'll have to record some footage of this some time, see if I'm not doin it rongg.
Mewtwo sounds like he'd be a pretty beastly Volley-er. Has a difficult time doing downward KOs as it stands, and that fair can get people back up to level fairly easily, and him having a huge recovery gives him the ability to save himself afterward.

Hmm Yes, Certainly going to put this into practice. Lord knows I need to work on saving a teammate in distress when Friendly Fire's going.
post some videos !

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
STOP TELLIN PEOPLE NOT TO EDGEGUARD.

you sound like warner robins kids that get mad cause i wreck them for making a sloppy recovery on the stage, and then i wreck them for making the most blatant attempt for the ledge.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Dereks just mad cuz he's a falco main and I gimp him with MARF :D
QFT!

my god derek, no one wants to play your ****ty volleyball game already! ahahhaha
Emilio even though you don't like it, you volley me perfectly when we play and its beautiful

This is a really dumb idea. Why would you practice such bad habits? Why would you promote this practice of bad habits?
What bad habits? It really comes down to doing more edgeguards instead of ledgehogging which helps you practice edgeguards. BTW its for friendlies not seriouslies so its not like im telling people to change their tournament style, its just for people who are bored with friendlies.

this sort of just read like "I'm tired of being a mediocre spacie main who gets ***** off the edge."
Na man its really fun give it a try, do you get to play with big D??

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
dogy come to tallahassee, we'll drink some beers smoke some cigs and discuss this further
I don't drink nor smoke, so how bout 1 liter Sunkist Na f that, you're FL, you should have Livewire, and a few p'zones, and I'm good.

my god derek, no one wants to play your ****ty volleyball game already! ahahhaha
This is a really dumb idea. Why would you practice such bad habits? Why would you promote this practice of bad habits?
SEE!

LOOK AT THIS.

GANON MAN SAYS "I CANT SAVE PEOPLE I CAN ONLY HURT THEM", AND (DH I honestly forget if you MAIN somebody I know I saw you play like, 5 characters I'm sorry) MULTI-MAIN MAN SAYS "WTF I WANT TO PRACTICE MY D*** MATCHUPS"

GOTTA PRACTICE THOSE SETUPS FOR THE BIG BAD FOX TECH GUY WHO'S ALL LIKE BLIPBLIPBLIPBLIP HAHA I WIN!!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
What bad habits? It really comes down to doing more edgeguards instead of ledgehogging which helps you practice edgeguards. BTW its for friendlies not seriouslies so its not like im telling people to change their tournament style, its just for people who are bored with friendlies.
Sorry, all I heard was, "Blah blah let's practice letting our opponents get back onto the stage, that's a great idea. Guh GUh."

SEE!

LOOK AT THIS.

GANON MAN SAYS "I CANT SAVE PEOPLE I CAN ONLY HURT THEM", AND (DH I honestly forget if you MAIN somebody I know I saw you play like, 5 characters I'm sorry) MULTI-MAIN MAN SAYS "WTF I WANT TO PRACTICE MY D*** MATCHUPS"

GOTTA PRACTICE THOSE SETUPS FOR THE BIG BAD FOX TECH GUY WHO'S ALL LIKE BLIPBLIPBLIPBLIP HAHA I WIN!!
Lol I Main Spacies and Second Marth/Zelda lol I play Peach if I think my opponent has no experience vs her, and almost exclusively Sheik/Fox in teams. I play to many characters XD

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, Ballistics, got about three videos on us TRYING to put this thing in action. Failing horribly, though.
I'll get back to you once I've got 'em uploaded.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
Okay Ballistics, get worse at the game.

/thread
I can see why you think that you would get worse DH but the way I see it is like Goku's training weights, hes just toying with you until he actually takes them off. Of course in tournament I wouldn't keep back airing someone until they died to the side I would just ledgehog and let them die because money is on the line, but in friendlies I see no need to be so ruthless

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
Do you think there is any possibility that by you, and your friends not being 'ruthless' you may be losing time you could be practicing your ability to set up for said gimps/ or actually be able to accomplish them. Also You may be losing time to practice getting out of said gimps, edgehogs or whatever. This may have already been brought up, but I know if I wasn't pressured while off the stage I would start to get sloppy when it does come to tourney time. The difference I have seen between friendlies and tournament matches is that I, as a falco main, like to get creative and actually approach in friendlies, I see it as a good way to test out new things. Given I don't really edge hog in friendlies but I do try to edge guard/gimp when possible, I see it as both a way to keep my friends thinking on their feet, and maybe if I am lucky, they will get angry and try to gimp me, and I can practice getting out of such things.

But I am not even a year into melee so these things I still need to practice A LOT, lol

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
ballistics, i can't believe you still think this is a good idea.

tl;dr
hey guys practice playing the wrong way!

you misunderstand the point behind friendlies. you play friendlies

to

practice

for

TOURNAMENT

OMG NEW CONCEPT PRACTICING TO IMPROVE YOUR TOURNAMENT PLAY!!!! SHOCKING I KNOW

however if you just want to have fun then w/e

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I don't drink nor smoke, so how bout 1 liter Sunkist Na f that, you're FL, you should have Livewire, and a few p'zones, and I'm good.

SEE!

LOOK AT THIS.

Dude hungry howies has some baller pizones let me know when you can come dogy and Ill hold a tournament then in ur honor

Volleying isn't so much about saving, its more about doing everything in your power to kill to the side, its not the end of the world if the opponent dies down, as long as you did your best to send him to heaven

In Emilio's case, most of his strong moves kill to the side anyway, which is why he does nearly perfect volleys without even thinking about it, he also does unnecessary back airs off the ledge when you are obviously dead anyway often, but because hes cocky >=)

Do you think there is any possibility that by you, and your friends not being 'ruthless' you may be losing time you could be practicing your ability to set up for said gimps/ or actually be able to accomplish them. Also You may be losing time to practice getting out of said gimps, edgehogs or whatever. This may have already been brought up, but I know if I wasn't pressured while off the stage I would start to get sloppy when it does come to tourney time. The difference I have seen between friendlies and tournament matches is that I, as a falco main, like to get creative and actually approach in friendlies, I see it as a good way to test out new things. Given I don't really edge hog in friendlies but I do try to edge guard/gimp when possible, I see it as both a way to keep my friends thinking on their feet, and maybe if I am lucky, they will get angry and try to gimp me, and I can practice getting out of such things.

But I am not even a year into melee so these things I still need to practice A LOT, lol
As far as messing up your ability to edgehog someone, I don't think you could ever mess that up so I think its safe to not practice it every time you play. As far as recovering differently I don't think this game makes you recover any differently, surprisingly, you still do the normal edgeguards against someone recovering you just have to do them more since your not finishing them downwards.

I like how you describe your different play styles in friendlies and tournament, this is what I was having a hard time doing: differentiating my play styles, I would approach way too much in tournament because thats how I play in friendlies. So I made up this style to help me separate mindsets.

I'm not saying you shouldn't back throw your friends off the ledge at 0 percent, I love to do it too, what Im saying is that instead of one gimp and then killing them, keep hitting them over and over with edgeguards until they have to die to the side, if you mess up your edgeguards, they live, and you've failed. So keep practicing until your edgeguards are perfect.

ballistics, i can't believe you still think this is a good idea.

tl;dr
hey guys practice playing the wrong way!

you misunderstand the point behind friendlies. you play friendlies

to

practice

for

TOURNAMENT

OMG NEW CONCEPT PRACTICING TO IMPROVE YOUR TOURNAMENT PLAY!!!! SHOCKING I KNOW

however if you just want to have fun then w/e
Yea man its just for fun, its definitely not the way to practice for tournaments, though I think it does help me separate gay and honorable style, its just a fun game I made that you refuse to try lol. I'm not saying to do it all the time, just when your playing someone worse than you and they need a handicap or if your just trying to chill out when you play.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
The main point of Melee is to make sure your opponent doesn't make it back to the stage. Recognizing these situations and your best options for said situations is what makes players better, not your silly excuse for not wanting to be gimped.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I don't understand why you would want to play the game the same way every time, I guess I have played too much that I need to mix it up. I don't really mind getting gimped, in fact most people I try this with won't reciprocate so I end up just volleying them, it makes playing more of a challenge! arrgh

I agree that not letting them back is the point of melee but this is just a friendly game I hope it doesn't come off as playing super seriously.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I love how your response of a money match is supposed to make me magically think that what I said was wrong, when in fact I stand by it. I mean if you're at TO6 I'd love to play you though lol I warn you, I'm not good.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Here.
As said, totally new to the concept, so probably not utilized correctly.

Also, sure are a lot of hateful comments going 'round here... If you don't like it, OK, we've got your point. It's no good for tournaments. But that's not the point; this concept is just for bored-****less-so-here's-something-a-little-different... unless it's supposed to be taken as a serious training method.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys don't knock it til' you try it. Keep up the good work, Derek!

Also, when are you gonna put up our most recent vids? :D

Top Bottom