• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Voice Actor for DK?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
it truly is incredible to me that people want his scooby doo/happy go lucky bumbling idiot voice

he needs to keep his feral roars. its smash. go play mario kart if you want him goofy

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
it truly is incredible to me that people want his scooby doo/happy go lucky bumbling idiot voice

he needs to keep his feral roars. its smash. go play mario kart if you want him goofy
People have opinions? Gasp?

I like him goofy. I don't need to take him seriously, who does?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
people have bad opinions, lol

me. thats how hes been since 64 smash. it makes sense, and i would hate for it to change. just like i would hate it if falcon didnt announce his moves, marth spoke english, mario sounded like his 90s cartoon, charizard spoke his name, etc

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

Yitsul

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yitsul
3DS FC
2105-8677-5210
Switch FC
5599 8083 2114
this sucks, now bowser won't be voiced by Kenny James

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
people have bad opinions, lol

me. thats how hes been since 64 smash. it makes sense, and i would hate for it to change. just like i would hate it if falcon didnt announce his moves, marth spoke english, mario sounded like his 90s cartoon, charizard spoke his name, etc
That's your opinion, and I agree that it makes sense that he doesn't have the goofy voice, though you don't have to be rude about it.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Rest assured then, the old voice is back.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GisRY6h100U&t=7m33s[/media]

His gorilla noises from the clip portion. min 7:33

Also: WHY THE I CAN'T EVER PROPERLY POST A VIDEO FROM YOUTUBE FROM A CERTAIN MINUTE?? I'VE TRIED MANY TIMES! Somebody show how to do it right please.
Nothing is final yet, voices can still be subject to change, I'm pretty sure sonic's clips in the demo are ripped from other games so why can't DKs?

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Nothing is final yet, voices can still be subject to change, I'm pretty sure sonic's clips in the demo are ripped from other games so why can't DKs?
Pit is already using the clips recorded from Antonio del Rio, Greninja has it's anime voice despite not making an appearance in it yet so for what reason will the sounds and voices heard from the veterans be temporal?
I'm sure that DK and Bowser will remain that way; it's curious though that when someone is desperate to want something changed to match their personal taste they tell themselves that what they see or hear are just placeholders. Clinging to false hope like this is the reason why people later end up dissapointed. Though this tends to happen in a fanbase where people need to be told that a clone character is not an alt costume or that Ridley is not playable.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Pit is already using the clips recorded from Antonio del Rio, Greninja has it's anime voice despite not making an appearance in it yet so for what reason will the sounds and voices heard from the veterans be temporal?
I'm sure that DK and Bowser will remain that way; it's curious though that when someone is desperate to want something changed to match their personal taste they tell themselves that what they see or hear are just placeholders. Clinging to false hope like this is the reason why people later end up dissapointed. Though this tends to happen in a fanbase where people need to be told that a clone character is not an alt costume or that Ridley is not playable.
They could still be placeholders. I believe some other veterans also haven't had new voices added, so it could change. You are correct that they may not change, but we will see.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

I'm sorry, where you saying something?

Totally not a "happy go lucky bumbling idiot"

Not in the slightest

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
yea, im not denying how stupid hes made him seem in the potd over the past year. but a little late. the king has his roars and not his ****** voice you would think he has from those pics

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
yea, im not denying how stupid hes made him seem in the potd over the past year. but a little late. the king has his roars and not his ****** voice you would think he has from those pics
I'd rather have ****** than completely unfitting for the character. His current voice just isn't what DK is

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm sorry, where you saying something?

Totally not a "happy go lucky bumbling idiot"

Not in the slightest
I'm sorry, were you also saying something?

Characters are not always one-dimensional, you know. There is nothing that stops DK from having his goofy and badass moments; this applies to a lot of characters in fictional works. He can be doing silly stuff at one time while kicking butt like a boss at another.

I'd rather have ****** than completely unfitting for the character. His current voice just isn't what DK is
So you are willing to throw quality out of the window?
And I'm sorry, but it's voice is not "unfitting", it's just that you don't like it; besides, I don't think you are more qualified than others to determine which voice shows what DK "truly" is. Even so, his roars and grunts actually reflect an obvious part of what he is: a feral gorilla. That's one phase of his character just like his goofiness; the same applies to Bowser.

Last edited:

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
I'm sorry, were you also saying something?

Characters are not always one-dimensional, you know. There is nothing that stops DK from having his goofy and badass moments; this applies to a lot of characters in fictional works. He can be doing silly stuff at one time while kicking butt like a boss at another.

So you are willing to throw quality out of the window?
And I'm sorry, but it's voice is not "unfitting", it's just that you don't like it; besides, I don't think you are more qualified than others to determine which voice shows what DK "truly" is. Even so, his roars and grunts actually reflect an obvious part of what he is: a feral gorilla. That's one phase of his character just like his goofiness; the same applies to Bowser.
That's brawl, in SSB4 DK is much sillier and more expressive, Y'know like in the actual DKC games. In my opinion DK shouldn't be a serious character, he's a big, dumb ape and the cartoony voice (the voice from his actual games) fits his character far more to me. In brawl DK was a feral beast but that's not how he acts in his games and that should be shown in smash

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
thats how hes always been in smash. just like how mario is always pissed off in smash because everyones trying to take his spotlight

in returns and TF, dk is both goofy and badass. looking at the pics and his voice, it looks like we got both of those things in, so why complain

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
thats how hes always been in smash. just like how mario is always pissed off in smash because everyones trying to take his spotlight

in returns and TF, dk is both goofy and badass. looking at the pics and his voice, it looks like we got both of those things in, so why complain
Some people like the references to their home series more than their Smash 'tradition.' I personally would probably Play DK/Diddy/Bowser more if they were given their canonical voices. It sometimes feels a bit forced and jarring at times, but it really doesn't matter too much. Still would have been nice in my opinion to see their voice actors reprise their roles, but it is true it isn't that big of a deal.

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice

That's funny about what you said about mario. But in seriousness though, you do have a point with your comments about dk having that tough voice in ssb instead of the silly voices in the other games. I personally don't mind either way. However, I think dk could be intimidating even with the goofy voices.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I'm really shocked that it seems like a lot of people prefer the silly voice DK has had for recent years over the more serious toned, beast like voice. I've always appreciated that the Super Smash Bros. franchise takes more of a serious approach to representing characters more so than other developers do. DK's voice in Smash is reminiscent of how he use to sound back in the Donkey Kong Country days, at least in my opinion. I just think his silly voice just makes Donkey Kong look childish and Disney-esque, which is why I've never been a fan of it since it started being used in Jungle Beat (I think that's the first game he had that voice in).

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
same here. its so strange. it would be a different story if his silly voice didnt sound like you went up to a random person on the street and told them to do their best scooby doo voice

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
I'm really shocked that it seems like a lot of people prefer the silly voice DK has had for recent years over the more serious toned, beast like voice. I've always appreciated that the Super Smash Bros. franchise takes more of a serious approach to representing characters more so than other developers do. DK's voice in Smash is reminiscent of how he use to sound back in the Donkey Kong Country days, at least in my opinion. I just think his silly voice just makes Donkey Kong look childish and Disney-esque, which is why I've never been a fan of it since it started being used in Jungle Beat (I think that's the first game he had that voice in).
Don't take this as me arguing, but I feel the reason why people want the other silly voice is because that's how he sounds in most of his games. Also, he was intended to be a dumb ape, just take his name donkey kong for example. I hope that clears up that question. I don't mind either way, personally. One more thing, I think dk did have a kinda silly voice in dkc, but I could be wrong.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
thats how hes always been in smash. just like how mario is always pissed off in smash because everyone's trying to take his spotlight

Mario wasn't pissed off in the original Smash Bros(though, he was a little bit in Melee), nor did DK had sounded like that in DKC1! I know! I've actually played the game! It IS out of character for Red M to act like that!

Also, I hate how the sequels destroyed the Saturday Morning Feel the original SSB was trying to compel. Instead, trying to now make it "epic," which doesn't really fit, IMO.

Last edited:

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
Don't take this as me arguing, but I feel the reason why people want the other silly voice is because that's how he sounds in most of his games. Also, he was intended to be a dumb ape, just take his name donkey kong for example. I hope that clears up that question. I don't mind either way, personally. One more thing, I think dk did have a kinda silly voice in dkc, but I could be wrong.
In most of his games? I don't know about that. His voice has changed a number of times. It changed from Country, to 64, to Jungle Beat, to Smash, to Mario Party, Golf, etc. He's never really had a set voice such as, Wario for instance. Not only that, but his recent silly voice is mostly used in his Mario game appearances, not so much the actual Donkey Kong franchise games. And I understand he's supposed to sound like a dumb ape, but it's not also supposed to sound excessive, like the voice actor is trying way too hard. That's how his recent silly voice sounds to me. When I hear it, I always just get the impression of "Alright, I get it! He's supposed to be dumb!" And he didn sound silly in the Country games, but he didn't sound like a big scary burly ape like in Smash, either. He just sounded like you would imagine an ape would sound like...and I think that's why I liked that voice the best. Especially since that was his original voice. Hell, I'll even take his Mario Party voice over this newer one any day.

Last edited:

Onett kid

Smash Apprentice
In most of his games? I don't know about that. His voice has changed a number of times. It changed from Country, to 64, to Jungle Beat, to Smash, to Mario Party, Golf, etc. He's never really had a set voice such as, Wario for instance. Not only that, but his recent silly voice is mostly used in his Mario game appearances, not so much the actual Donkey Kong franchise games. And I understand he's supposed to sound like a dumb ape, but it's not also supposed to sound excessive, like the voice actor is trying way too hard. That's how his recent silly voice sounds to me. When I hear it, I always just get the impression of "Alright, I get it! He's supposed to be dumb!" And he didn't sound silly in the Country games, but he didn't sound like a big scary burly ape like in Smash, either. He just sounded like you would imagine an ape would sound like...and I think that's why I liked that voice the best. Especially since that was his original voice. Hell, I'll take his Mario Party voice over this newer one any day.
You're right, he did have a variety of voices throughout his gaming span. I didn't mean to generalize his voice. And yes, I agree, his voice in dkcr was a little more leaning on mentally ******** than silly. I just like it when he's silly, but I also am ok with his ferocious grunts too. Also, with the dkc voice, I was comparing it to his ssb voice in terms on silliness, I should've clarified that. But I agree with you that his grunts is better than his new voice any day. Just to add, my favorite voice is the 64 dk game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Man, there was a time when the fandom HATED the Scooby voice, because it originated from Jungle Beat. Now many prefer that voice instead; I wonder what changed?

BriefCasey795

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AwesomeCasey
3DS FC
4382-2575-1384
I'm just extremely disappointed DK, Diddy, and Bowser don't have their traditional VAs. It's just so inconsistent with the game's art style, and they blew a chance. What makes even less sense is that Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have their traditional voices, yet Bowser doesn't! Also, I read somewhere that Sakurai said he used the animal sounds because it "made more sense".
Considering the art style, and the aftermentioned Mario reps:
Honestly, I know Sakurai knows what he's doing with game design, BUT SERIOUSLY!? WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?

It's pretty much my only gripe with the game so far. I doubt it would happen, but an option to have the traditional/realistic sounds released as DLC or something would be nice.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
"We should all jump off this bridge."

Some opinions are just bad. Respect the human propencity to be utterly wrong.
You know, like thinking the feral roars fit DK and Bowser, that's a perfectly wrong opinion right there.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You know, like thinking the feral roars fit DK and Bowser, that's a perfectly wrong opinion right there.
So according to you, feral sounds don't fit feral beasts.
Sorry, yours is a wrong statement.

I'm just extremely disappointed DK, Diddy, and Bowser don't have their traditional VAs. It's just so inconsistent with the game's art style, and they blew a chance. What makes even less sense is that Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings have their traditional voices, yet Bowser doesn't! Also, I read somewhere that Sakurai said he used the animal sounds because it "made more sense".
Considering the art style, and the aftermentioned Mario reps:
Honestly, I know Sakurai knows what he's doing with game design, BUT SERIOUSLY!? WHAT WAS HE THINKING!?

It's pretty much my only gripe with the game so far. I doubt it would happen, but an option to have the traditional/realistic sounds released as DLC or something would be nice.
What was he thinking? Probably something like "You know, DK and Diddy are wild animals and Bowser is a ferocious beast, let us give them animalistic noises" and it was awesome. It baffles me why people want DK to sound like his goofy self in this game; and Bowser Jr. sounding different from Bowser is the same reason why you don't hear a lion cub roaring or a wolf cub growling with a deep voice.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Because I'd rather he sound "goofy" than a mindless beast. As I said before, these roars have no emotion in them. When DK gets hurt it sounds no different than when he's victorious. There's no distinction, no personality. Heck the Mario Party DK voice had more personality than this one.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
There is personality to it though since being and sounding ferocious in battle is a common trait among animal characters like Bowser or DK. If you think that those roars have no emotion to them then you've probably never heard an angry beast before, you can tell when an animal is threatening depending of it; your dog may be able to whimper and whine under normal circumstances but when it is danger it will growl and bark.
And that's how Bowser and DK do and should sound when they engage in battle because they are in a dangerous situation, Diddy as well since it sounds like a chimpanzee ready to attack.

Last edited:

MTHunter

Smash Rookie
I would cringe if DK sounded ******** like he does in Mario Kart. He's goofy and all but when things get real, bring out the real aggression.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I actually don't mind if he sounds goofy or ferocious. Goofiness makes DK a bit of a more funny character, while ferociousness makes him seem more badass. Both are good in their own rights, and I personally like both of them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I like DK's beast voice, and while I don't mind Bowser's, his Demon voice from the Galaxy games would've been awesome.

I would cringe if DK sounded ******** like he does in Mario Kart. He's goofy and all but when things get real, bring out the real aggression.
YES.

Top Bottom